Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Godfrey

Must be gutted at the moment, takes weeks to get fit, then does a needless heavy challenge to mean missing three more games.

I think he realised he was out of position and had to make sure the Bn'mth player didn't get past him.  A tad unlucky to catch him like that because it wasn't intentional.  

Oh well at least he'l be properly fit when he's available again. 

Main issues for me today were the tendency to always pass sideways or back, and not converting chances.

Can and must do better. Happy for the win of course, hopefully getting it will help address those two issues. 

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I can never remember how these things work nowadays, but I'm hoping that one of the three games he'll be suspended for is the FA Cup game. 

It is.

I'm on the fence about the challenge. On the one hand, it was just mistimed and he didn't mean to injure the opponent, and it may have been a result of fatigue and ring rust.

But on the other hand, it was a silly challenge to make in the first place, a clear red card, and he put us in a difficult situation by leaving us a man light.

• Like 4

If he had made the challenge just outside our box in desperation I could understand it but it was 60 yards from our goal. Bad decision and now we end up with two CB's again

3 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

That’s why I can’t understand farke saying we don’t need to get in a centre half yet again we will be short 

Did he repeat this sentiment after the Godfrey dismissal? Ben’s only out for 2 league games, and Farke is privy to knowledge that we aren’t regarding Klose - he could well be back sooner than we think. I am very much of the opinion that Timm is the best CB we have, and crucially, offers something our CB’s are not renowned for this season - the aerial ability to defend a set piece whilst also offering a goal threat at the other end. Have always thought that, weirdly, he is far more suited to Premier League football than Championship.

As it happens, the dismissal might not be a bad thing. This maybe controversial, but in all honesty, as good as Ben is (and what a prospect he is, no doubt), I thought we actually looked slightly shakier at the back again with Hanley benched. Bar the Man Utd game, we’ve not been battered for a long time since Hanley and Zimbo started playing together. Maybe that’s no coincidence?

• Like 2

Why assume that it was not intentional? It was a horrible challenge that was deserving of a red card. It could have broken the players' ankle. 

We won despite Godfrey and are now back to just two fit centre backs.

• Like 1

They need to move the pitch side monitor away from the away dugout. In this instance I can’t say it made any difference to the outcome but it clearly could. There were several Bournemouth coaches watching the replays with the ref and making comments as he viewed it. 

• Like 1

The point is we are now down to 2 fit CHs and both will have to play in the cup unless Amadou is brought back in assuming he's not injured.

A vital away game coming up against Newcastle where we simply afford a weakened team. Poor from Godfrey.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

As it happens, the dismissal might not be a bad thing. This maybe controversial, but in all honesty, as good as Ben is (and what a prospect he is, no doubt), I thought we actually looked slightly shakier at the back again with Hanley benched. Bar the Man Utd game, we’ve not been battered for a long time since Hanley and Zimbo started playing together. Maybe that’s no coincidence?

For all his natural attributes and technical ability, Ben's lack of experience as a defender has been exposed a few times this season. Of course not having a regular partner earlier in the season hasn't helped, but I think he looked far better against a lower standard of opposition last season when his athleticism and technique could compensate for sometimes poor positioning or decision making.

He still has a lot of potential for improvement though and would benefit from an experienced head like Klose or dare I say it Hanley alongside him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Why assume that it was not intentional? It was a horrible challenge that was deserving of a red card. It could have broken the players' ankle. 

We won despite Godfrey and are now back to just two fit centre backs.

Do you think he was trying to break the player's ankle then? To get red carded & sent off? 

Very few players are that vicious. Aside from Roy Keane none spring to mind.

7 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

For all his natural attributes and technical ability, Ben's lack of experience as a defender has been exposed a few times this season. Of course not having a regular partner earlier in the season hasn't helped, but I think he looked far better against a lower standard of opposition last season when his athleticism and technique could compensate for sometimes poor positioning or decision making.

He still has a lot of potential for improvement though and would benefit from an experienced head like Klose or dare I say it Hanley alongside him.

Agree, plus it may have knocked a few million off his transfer value. 

Stupid challenge straight red. If you want to be a £30m player you don't do that... Annoyingly puts us light at the back again. Hope he learns...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Stupid challenge straight red. If you want to be a £30m player you don't do that... Annoyingly puts us light at the back again. Hope he learns...

Yes, because top class players never do things like that do they? Funny how players like Keane, Suarez and numerous others have done FAR worse, and it didn't stop them being well regarded...

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Do you think he was trying to break the player's ankle then? To get red carded & sent off? 

Very few players are that vicious. Aside from Roy Keane none spring to mind.

I don’t think he intentionally went to injure the player, but there could well have been a bit of “oh **** he’s going to go past me, I need to stop him”, and whether that was the ball or the player it didn’t matter. 

As KG says, where the challenge took place, there was no need for it. Had he been turned 25 yards out, then you could understand it more as it was more desperate to stop a chance being created (although still wouldn’t excuse the recklessness of the challenge). 

56 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agree, plus it may have knocked a few million off his transfer value. 

Good, expectations for the,lad have been blown out of all proportion, Rio fecking Ferdinand singing his praises and his u21 call up seem have hyped him beyond his current ability. Im not knocking him, he's decent, but still has a long way to go before we can say Ben Godfrey, Top defender.  

Come on, we all know why he made that challenge!  Wilson had been at him all game and was winding him up good and proper.  Ben lost it, forgot about VAR and thought he could land one on Wilson in a relatively innocuous part of the field, in front of their bench, to make a statement!  Fine in the Chumps and below, Ben's only problem was the change in the application of VAR.  Lesson learnt and another fortnight to get his focus back.

• Sad 1

I wouldn’t like to say 100% but from the angle shown behind the pair it looks very bad on him and looks like he’s intentionally put one on him. Horrible challenge that could have easily broke his leg

1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

Totally agree. Ben is a real talent for sure and will be a top CB in time, but there was a return of some flapping at the back yesterday, Krul coming under unnecessary pressure, in a way that we’d not seen since Ben and Christoph last partnered there. At the start of the season, BG and CZ looked like the first choice pairing (bearing in mind Klose was out). Hanley looked to be turned too easily imho. But we now know that Grant was carrying a groin strain throughout those games, and of course that compromised his freedom of movement. Since recovering from injury, Grant has looked pretty decent, and bar Man Utd we’ve not been smashed since his arrival back in the team. And we’ve not looked risky, at 6’s and 7’s, at the back either, something that only appeared to return to a degree in a couple of incidents yesterday.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Like how capoue got nothing in the Watford game and that went to var. 

...and the 'experts' in the studio said it wasn't a red!

Silly challenge, and there is intent as all he was really doing in theory was a block tackle. He is definitely 'letting him know he's there' as defenders used to say.

As others have said, Godfrey has great potential and as a physical athlete is really top notch. But I think it's quite clear he isn't naturalised as a centre half yet and is often the player stood looking confused as his man wheels away after scoring.

He's first-choice because we know we'll have to sell in summer and more games maximises his price tag. 

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Yes, because top class players never do things like that do they? Funny how players like Keane, Suarez and numerous others have done FAR worse, and it didn't stop them being well regarded...

Normally those players do that to make a point not on the half way line with no real pressure. It was stupid and as Farke said you hope he learns. Anyway it's done move on...