Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

Norwich vs Bournemouth match thread

9 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

God that was nerve-wracking.

We dropped deeper & deeper ... Looked totally knackered half way through second half. Cantwell was like a duracell bunny fortunately, chased down everything on the pitch. He never fails to surprise me with his gangly skills & determination. A real find.

How they didn't score I'll never know. Mind you, how we didn't score more is also a mystery. But that's the same most weeks.

Tempting fate, but Duda looks utter class.

We're gonna have to improve on that to stand any chance at all. A bumpy ride awaits ..

We seem to lose a bit of confidence coming out in the second half with only a slender lead - I think that is due to the way the season has panned out with injuries and var and some bad luck during the season too. Having said that, perhaps this victory, laboured as it was, will be the catalyst for us to have a bit more belief in the upcoming games.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Like I said earlier. We've played beautiful in the past and wound up with nothing. An ugly win like this might give the squad some confidence that they can dig deep and gut one out. They did what they needed to do and gave themselves a chance. Great result.

At this stage I'll happily take an ugly win and even uglier ones, for the remainder of the season,  and so should most of us.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

We seem to lose a bit of confidence coming out in the second half with only a slender lead - I think that is due to the way the season has panned out with injuries and var and some bad luck during the season too. Having said that, perhaps this victory, laboured as it was, will be the catalyst for us to have a bit more belief in the upcoming games.

👍

Complaining that people have negative comments after a win is as bad as this board being relentless negative after a loss. We are here to discuss football right? If we had thumped them 5-0 I’d understand it.

Happy with the three points, Duda looks class and great to have Pukki back. Shame to lose Godfrey but it was a bad challenge and deserved it.

Objectively as good as we were in the first half we dropped off in the second though. We also failed to score the critical second goal and it lead to a nervy end, especially down to 10 men.

We’ve given ourselves a chance, feeling cautiously optimistic we will at least challenge for that 17th place.

• Like 1

Should have made it much easier on ourselves. Not our best performance yet we had 3 really good chances to kill of the game. A lot of teams around the bottom would be in dreamland if they were able to create the sort of chances we do. Hopefully we start to take them.

Certainly fully deserving of the win and early impressions suggest Duda is a step up in quality from our other number 10s.

Dreadful game with 2 poor teams. Call me perceptive or a chancer but I suspect we will be playing Bournemouth again next season.

Godfrey's red card probably keeps Howe in a job another week, but it was their assistant manager who was up on his feet calling the shots. Totally undermined Howe. 

Deserved MOM for Todd, but why are we so unfit? We ran out of steam against 10 men!

Edited by Capt. Pants

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

why are we so unfit? We ran out of steam against 10 men!

Nerves can do funny thigs to people. But what else can happen is that the team with eleven get a collective reaction of "hey, we're going to have the advantage now" and ever so slightly relax their intensity - and the team with ten often get a siege mentality and gain strength and determination.  Once the team with eleven realise the team with ten is actually doing ok, then they start to get worried and nervy - it can be very difficult to lose your intensity in a sport and then get it back again.

Yeah I get the bit about 10 v 11 and all that, but honestly our passing was off again today and we consistently got bullied off the ball because of it. When we pass quick and forward we are excellent, when slow and sideways we are a train wreck waiting to happen. Got away with it today fortunately. A welcome 3 points of course and hopefully it will help the team confidence. 

Well I'm.not sure we got 'constantly bullied off the ball' else I suspect a passing team such as Bournemouth would have had more than 35% of the ball.

Agree that we weren't bullied, but it was another case of a team pressing us quickly and not allowing time on the ball. If a team lets us dink and dunk passes around the pitch, we have the players to make them pay by picking out a deadly Pukki run. The teams that get in our face have given us trouble and make our play look sloppy.

I don’t know why people are surprised that we were nervy and not at our best. I’m pretty sure all the players know we are walking up to the bar in the last chance saloon, and a loss or even a draw to Bournemouth would have been a nail in our coffin. Hopefully as some have said, this allows them a little breathing space to relax and play more freely for the next few games.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

First half we were very good. 2nd half we let them pin us back too much but broke well and you wouldn’t be moaning had we converted one of the clear cut chances we had.

A wins a win. We did the job. Happy days

i feel sorry for anyone that can’t be simply happy this evening

Far out. Being a bit of a soft touch if you think im moaning.

Just to reiterate, im happy with the 3 points but its disappointing that we again tail off second half and let Bournemouth within a sniff of an equalizer. 

10 hours ago, BaltimoreBird said:

Like I said earlier. We've played beautiful in the past and wound up with nothing. An ugly win like this might give the squad some confidence that they can dig deep and gut one out. They did what they needed to do and gave themselves a chance. Great result.

I've said it many times this season that we will play worse (in other games) and still come out with a win.

We can only hope this result will be somewhat of a catalyst for a turn around for the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Should have made it much easier on ourselves. Not our best performance yet we had 3 really good chances to kill of the game. A lot of teams around the bottom would be in dreamland if they were able to create the sort of chances we do. Hopefully we start to take them.

Certainly fully deserving of the win and early impressions suggest Duda is a step up in quality from our other number 10s.

I get the feeling someone is due a right spanking along the way with the amount of chances we create and don't take. Hopefully it happens soon.

• Like 2

I don’t think it’s just nerves. We’ve come out flat after half time all season and our players are often visibly exhausted by the 65-70 minute mark. Farke does really need to learn to be proactive and soot the momentum shifts in games.

that said we could and should have won that by 2 or 3 and delighted with a win that is a small lifeline. 

It was yet another game in which me and the people around me in the Barclay were wanting Farke to freshen things up from the 60th minute onwards. But he’s not going to - he hasn’t all the time he’s been here so isn’t going to start now. It’s frustrating.  

Edited by Grando

Agreed Grando we should have stretched the game with Hernandez's pace. Simple balls over the top would have caused havoc as that Bournemouth defence was damn slow.

A good 3 points though. I wouldn't want to see us go down with our our lowest points tally in top flight football. Still think we are due for the drop but 3rd from bottom would be a good achievement.

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

<snip>

A good 3 points though. I wouldn't want to see us go down with our our lowest points tally in top flight football. Still think we are due for the drop but 3rd from bottom would be a good achievement.

Sadly, I think you’re likely to be right. For what was probably the first time ever, Shearer was fair on MOTD when he said something along the lines of “credit to Norwich, they had a game plan, played well and deserved the win” but when asked if us or Bournemouth would stay up he just said “no”.

18 hours ago, Indy said:

Might have been so different if we got Duda in the summer!

I think most of us didn't expect Stiepermann to struggle so much this year though, last season his link up play with Pukki, his strength in the air, and some excellent shots, didn't give us any reason to think he'd be so poor this time around, so why replace a guy on the back of that season?

They've acted at the first chance they had, and if that level of performance from Duda can be maintained, he'll have been an excellent addition, but in the summer I don't think any of us thought another AM would be required, especially when arguably both Buendia and Cantwell could be excellent there.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see, should Duda make the difference, we pull ourselves out of this and stay up, if we are prepared to loosen the purse strings this summer and break our previous transfer record to sign him?

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Sadly, I think you’re likely to be right. For what was probably the first time ever, Shearer was fair on MOTD when he said something along the lines of “credit to Norwich, they had a game plan, played well and deserved the win” but when asked if us or Bournemouth would stay up he just said “no”.

I think we have impressed most people with the way we play football, but the consensus amongst most of them is that we are not good enough in relation to the clubs above us to stay up. It is a fair assumption given where we are in the table - all we have to do is  prove them wrong!

It's not surprising the team were nervy, given how many times we've lost recently from being in the lead at half-time !  Also at OT we pretty much fell to bits in the 2nd half.

A scrappy win isn't exactly the signal for our season being turned around but a defeat would probably have been the end. 

The strange thing this season is that we are playing well in patches and have won/drawn against a lot of the better sides, but then failing to win games when we've played well and been in the lead in the first half.  If we can overcome that problem, we'll have a chance, Saturday showed there is still a chance but that's all.

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

It will be interesting to see, should Duda make the difference, we pull ourselves out of this and stay up, if we are prepared to loosen the purse strings this summer and break our previous transfer record to sign him?

Doubt it.

15 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Doubt it.

25 million was the figure mentioned by DF,  so with all the max Aaron's spekkilashun,  just supposing  spurs do offer 30 m for max, what do people think about flipping that dosh into  buying Duda? Yay or Nay?