Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Too much loyalty, too much hype?

Daniel Farke has stated we are not interested in bringing a CB or a Striker. Paddy D reports on twitter that this is because he doesn't think we need them!! 

I find this worrying. I like DF, he is an excellent young manager/coach, but is he sliding into Alex Neil territory by showing far too much loyalty to the current players? 

Have we overhyped the young talent- Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis et al.... who despite undoubted skill and potential, especially going forward, have yet to show they can actually defend at this level. Are we really going to sell them all for £40 million as many suggest or, in hindsight, will one go on to a great career and others not so much? Are our spectacles a little green and yellow? Or do they just need more time? If so it is unlikely to be here...

Have we also shown too much loyalty to Champ standard players like Hanley, Stieperman, Zimmo,  instead of replacing them? 

I ask because when DF defends not getting a CB by saying 'Amadou's best games have been at CB' I want to pull hair out. Maybe they have- but they still haven't been good enough for this level!!  Surely the goals against column speaks loudest about our need for reinforcements at the back. 

We needed a centre back when we had the three long term injuries. Its too late now, the damage has been done.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I ask because when DF defends not getting a CB by saying 'Amadou's best games have been at CB' I want to pull hair out. Maybe they have- but they still haven't been good enough for this level!!  Surely the goals against column speaks loudest about our need for reinforcements at the back. 

Did he actually say that about Amadou? If he did then I suppose he's half correct, because he's put in three excellent performances and two of those were at centre back (Man City and Bournemouth) but he's also had three nightmares against Villa, Palace and Burnley.

I'd be worried if Farke sees Amadou as a reliable option at centre back for a Premier League club.

We don’t need any more bargain basement players to help us make the top 26 we are doing fine

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Did he actually say that about Amadou? If he did then I suppose he's half correct, because he's put in three excellent performances and two of those were at centre back (Man City and Bournemouth) but he's also had three nightmares against Villa, Palace and Burnley.

I'd be worried if Farke sees Amadou as a reliable option at centre back for a Premier League club.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if we do stay up I don't beĺieve we will take the option to buy. 

• Like 1

I think his comments were fair enough, Godfrey, Hanley, Zimmerman, Amadou all fit and Klose fit in a couple of weeks. That’s already 4 for 2 places with the option at last to play 3. If we are relegated all 5 would be quality championship centre halves.

On a positive note we should look and say if what he says is true then there have been no silly offers for Godfrey.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if we do stay up I don't beĺieve we will take the option to buy. 

I'm worried about it now.

And if I'm not mistaken, isn't there an obligation to buy if certain clauses are met? Although I'm guessing that maybe the reason he isn't playing is to ensure those clauses aren't activated.

42 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We needed a centre back when we had the three long term injuries. Its too late now, the damage has been done.

Exactly.  

Also, dont worry DCB, literally NO ONE thinks you're guilty of looking at things through 'green and yellow tinted glasses'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We needed a cb before the season started and didn’t get one so I suppose we’ll not get one now that we are nearly at full strength again.  
Amadou wasn’t (or shouldn’t have been) bought as a cb and must be pulling his hair out at not getting a start as cdm in a side leaking goals.

• Like 1

With the midfield in front of them we have, Liverpool would concede. 

When will you people get it into your heads the problem is the midfield, not defence. 

No.  It’s both (hence my annoyance at Amadou not even getting the vaguest if run-outs at cdm).  Look at goals conceded, too many from bog standard crosses for starters.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Again a CB better than we have would cost in excess of 15 million, so can fully understand his stance. It’s not that we don’t need a CB, we can’t afford a better one.

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Daniel Farke has stated we are not interested in bringing a CB or a Striker. Paddy D reports on twitter that this is because he doesn't think we need them!! 

I find this worrying. I like DF, he is an excellent young manager/coach, but is he sliding into Alex Neil territory by showing far too much loyalty to the current players? 

Have we overhyped the young talent- Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis et al.... who despite undoubted skill and potential, especially going forward, have yet to show they can actually defend at this level. Are we really going to sell them all for £40 million as many suggest or, in hindsight, will one go on to a great career and others not so much? Are our spectacles a little green and yellow? Or do they just need more time? If so it is unlikely to be here...

Have we also shown too much loyalty to Champ standard players like Hanley, Stieperman, Zimmo,  instead of replacing them? 

It’s probably because the club cannot afford to

DFs logic I don't think you can disagree with. We have CBs fit now and have cover. Likewise strikers. And he has brought in Duda to replace to Srbeny / Roberts as a higher quality addition. Rupp has been brought in to strengthen midfield which as some posters have noted, have at times, not provided adequate protection to the defence. Both additions (in theory as we've not seen them) add quality.

Yet, unquestionably, we needed greater depth at the start of the season as the run of injuries evidenced.

6 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

If we are after a centre half I wouldn’t expect the club to announce it to the world. That would only inflate prices. 

Why would it? As soon as we approach a club about a centre back, they’ll know we’re after a centre back. They’re not then going to let that player go cheap just because we haven’t told anyone else we need a centre back.

I’d expect the club to stay quiet because (a) if they say we need a player in a certain position and don’t get one, it looks bad on the scouts and board etc. and (b) it disrupts the current players - especially when it’s no longer the case that they’re all injured.

Edited by Aggy

9 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Well made points, I find it astounding that we still haven't strengthened at CB and DF sees no need. We still need improvement there for next season in the champs. Truth is we were  are and will be a champs team. We perhaps have 3 or 4 prem standard players and a few who could have blagged it alongside the several decent signings we needed in the summer. 

The BBC Football Transfer Gossip section has an item about Birmingham City who have a 16 year old with no Premier League experience who they value at £20M, begs the question exactly how much our youngsters could be valued at, particularly Cantwell........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

I see the Sun (yes I know it is the Sun and only gossip) are reporting that Man Utd have offered Birmingham £30M+ for 16 year old Jude Bellingham, I am sure the lad is very talented but it begs the question how much we could value Todd Cantwell at given he has played/scored in the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I see the Sun (yes I know it is the Sun and only gossip) are reporting that Man Utd have offered Birmingham £30M+ for 16 year old Jude Bellingham, I am sure the lad is very talented but it begs the question how much we could value Todd Cantwell at given he has played/scored in the Premier League.

Thought exactly that FJSP. True or not, that valuation will be seen as a new benchmark on which to quote others. He's not worth it of course. But he might be in five years time or so. Some of ours are impressing in the PL now. So £25 million for Aaron's sounds bargain basement against £30 million for Bellingham!

25 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

On 18/01/2020 at 17:50, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The BBC Football Transfer Gossip section has an item about Birmingham City who have a 16 year old with no Premier League experience who they value at £20M, begs the question exactly how much our youngsters could be valued at, particularly Cantwell........

Price went up by £10 million when the news reached The S*n