Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Press Conference

Everyone fit, apart from Timm

Sounds like no new CB or striker expected.

Also likely Duda & Ruup will be involved. Sees them both as attacking players (but also mentioned Ruup as competition for Alex (?))

'It'll take a miracle but we'll fight tooth & nail to survive'

Edited by ron obvious

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Does that mean Godfrey is ready to return?   Might create a few selection issues, which is no bad thing.

Said he was available.

DF says seven wins required, don’t think that’s enough, least eight for me. As we’ve only had three so far that looks out of reach.

I don't know if he explicitly said that no ones coming in, but he did say that Godfrey is available, and Klose's return to training was very near, so we're close to having four fit centre backs again. In those circumstances, and our position, it's hard to argue to bring another defender in.

22 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Also not to expect a CB or striker in this window.

There's surely going to be hell on here then.

That seems to be Davitt's interpretation of what Farke said rather than a specific statement from Farke.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That seems to be Davitt's interpretation of what Farke said rather than a specific statement from Farke.

True, but if Pukki and Godfrey are fit, Klose isn't too far behind and Drmic is on his way back, alongside Idah getting more game time, I can see why we wouldn't rush into purchasing in this window unless the perfect player became available.

We have strengthened our midfield, and defensively with Godfrey back we have a defence with huge talent. 

Pukki up top, quality in attacking midfield, who knows. 

What's been funny is the pitchfork mob on here haven't been able to see its midfield that's the problem, not defence. 

Even buendia isn't consistent Premier quality, and look at our goals conceded and midfield had been culpable in a lot, losing the ball, not tracking the man in their zone, passing backwards, not making themselves available. 

I trust Farke and he's seen it too. 

But it won't stop the get it forward mob banging on about defenders and attackers. 

Edited by Nono
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Never thought we required another striker. We have three, really, and only ever play one up top.

A CB would have been good but we're close to a full deck of those again so I guess it's nothing worth getting upset about. I'm sure someone will find a reason to...

Edited by BobLoz3

7 minutes ago, Nono said:

We have strengthened our midfield, and defensively with Godfrey back we have a defence with huge talent. 

What's been funny is the pitchfork mob on here haven't been able to see its midfield that's the problem, not defence. 

Even buendia isn't consistent Premier quality, and look at our goals conceded and midfield had been culpable in a lot, losing the ball, not tracking the man in their zone, passing backwards, not making themselves available. 

But it won't stop the get it forward mob banging on about defenders and attackers. 

Isnt that what we supposedly signed Anadou for??....a good month and half where we could have been playing him there abd haven't.....obviously Farke doesnt think he's good enough

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Isnt that what we supposedly signed Anadou for??....a good month and half where we could have been playing him there abd haven't.....obviously Farke doesnt think he's good enough

I've been saying that I don't think he's consistent enough for some time. Has looked out of his depth on too many occasions now.

I'm not going into it again though! Have a look through my posts if you can be bothered! 😂

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

True, but if Pukki and Godfrey are fit, Klose isn't too far behind and Drmic is on his way back, alongside Idah getting more game time, I can see why we wouldn't rush into purchasing in this window unless the perfect player became available.

Yes, although Drmic needs to stay fit! I could see a loan deal for a striker as a possible, given Drmic's injury record and Idah's lack of experience.

58 minutes ago, Nono said:

I must be one of the mob banging on about defenders and strikers. 1. Our defence aren't good enough 2. If Farke thinks we have ample striking options he's wrong. Drmic is injured more than he is fit and Idah isnt a good enough starting striker for the Premiership (currently). These are facts and I believe if we had strengthened in these 2 departments we wouldnt be in the position we now find ourselves in.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I must be one of the mob banging on about defenders and strikers. 1. Our defence aren't good enough 2. If Farke thinks we have ample striking options he's wrong. Drmic is injured more than he is fit and Idah isnt a good enough starting striker for the Premiership (currently). These are facts and I believe if we had strengthened in these 2 departments we wouldnt be in the position we now find ourselves in.

But Pukki is made out of steel and doesn't seem to let much bother him.

I appreciate this argument if we apply it to the fact that we could do with competition, but who is going to edge Pukki out really?

He was always destined to be our main striker this season.

4 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

But Pukki is made out of steel and doesn't seem to let much bother him.

I appreciate this argument if we apply it to the fact that we could do with competition, but who is going to edge Pukki out really?

He was always destined to be our main striker this season.

Its not necessarily about nudging Pukki out, its about giving him a) real competition, which to date Drmic hasnt done much of b) when Pukki is knackered / injured / or otherwise, we have someone who can play alone up top. I very much championed Drmic's arrival, a natural goalscorer, but not sure whether he is competent at playing the lone man up top. It needs someone with the attributes of Pukki who works hard and chases everything. Idah is certainly one for the future but needs to learn a lot before becoming a regular starter. If we would a got another striker into compete, we could of let Idah out on loan so he can hit the ground running next year if we do go down.

Edited by jaberry2

1 hour ago, Nono said:

The pitch fork mob may suggest that our defensive errors are mostly from set pieces and not as you suggest. 

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

I don't know if he explicitly said that no ones coming in, but he did say that Godfrey is available, and Klose's return to training was very near, so we're close to having four fit centre backs again. In those circumstances, and our position, it's hard to argue to bring another defender in.

My concern about this, and looking beyond to next season "if" we get relegated were this defence wasn't good enough at Championship level last season, and a record haul for champions.

No improvements means we'll struggle for rest of this season, and we'd expect some sort of overhaul next season regardless of where we end up

57 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

And if anyone gets injured, as first half has shown (embarrassingly) it a) shows we're in big trouble & b) we don't have strength in squad to replace them & c) shows that not strengthening is a very naive view to take. It maybe that Farke's hands are tied re: limited funds 

Can't believe farke has even added Amadou into equation as defensive cover-He's been poor more times than good in that position

I honestly do not believe any of what Farke has said about transfers. If he thinks our squad is adequate enough, what is he saying it’s adequate for? Relegation? 

It’s great that our injuries have cleared up and that we now have options available up front and in defence.

Unfortunately Mr Farke, some of those options are either simply not good enough for this level (Hanley) or have a woeful injury record (Drmic) and simply shouldn’t be anywhere near our Premier League survival push.

Of course I don’t for a minute believe that given the choice, he wouldn’t bring in reinforcements to bolster the squad, and it’s only because the club has refused to spend absolutely anything to try and stay up. Given the Premier League is supposedly worth £100m+ for a promoted team, where on Earth has all that money gone and why isn’t some of it being made available to try and stay in the lucrative EPL?!

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Its not necessarily about nudging Pukki out, its about giving him a) real competition, which to date Drmic hasnt done much of b) when Pukki is knackered / injured / or otherwise, we have someone who can play alone up top. I very much championed Drmic's arrival, a natural goalscorer, but not sure whether he is competent at playing the lone man up top. It needs someone with the attributes of Pukki who works hard and chases everything. Idah is certainly one for the future but needs to learn a lot before becoming a regular starter. If we would a got another striker into compete, we could of let Idah out on loan so he can hit the ground running next year if we do go down.

There's this bloke at Wednesday... :classic_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Nono said:

Seriously! Our leaky championship defence is still conceding the same way every game. 

• Like 1

Everyone knows our defence isn't quite Prem standard, but in recent times I've taken to trying to look at what impact the 'business' side of things has on the footballing side.

It's unlikely that anyone is going to come in with a bid that tempts us for Zimmermann, Klose or Hanley for a variety of reasons- that is to say, want to pay us enough for them so that we can get an equal or better replacement, which makes all 3 likely to be here after relegation (Klose's overtures for a return to mainland Europe aside). We know we have a very expensive asset in Godfrey, so he needs to be playing as much as possible to amp up his value (despite his vast potential he often is a step behind at the moment).

I can only suppose that with limited funds we didn't think we would get a CB that would be significant improvement on the former 3, so didn't spin the wheel. As much as it's ****ty to hear as a fan, it's probably the safest option.

I also agree with the sentiment on this thread that it isn't necessarily our defensive unit that causes our defensive issues. Like before, thinking of the business side of things, a good attacker will almost always fetch a higher price than a solid defender; hence why we persist in fitting as many attacking options into our XI no matter if we're playing relegation rivals or title contenders. As a result, we lack the ability to really hold the ball higher up the pitch leading to relentless pressure on the backline that we simply aren't good enough to keep out.

With the funds we had available, we were always very odds-on to go back down regardless of whether or not we tried to play in a more balanced, defensively-conscious way. Ergo we're emphasising the memorable attacking traits of our best assets at the expense of a solid, competitive edge to maximise our profit for the next phase of the plan.

As I said, as a fan it's ****ty to hear, but this was most likely the safest way to push towards continued involvement in the PL.

• Like 1

If Godfrey is fit to start I would go with him and Hanley. Zimmermann makes eye catching last minute overall blocks but for me Hanley is the more solid and better all round defender and uses the ball better. Hopefully Klose is not too far away either. I don't think we will sign another CB either, Amadou and Tettey will provide emergency cover if needed.

It was a lacklustre display last week and no-one could feel aggrieved if dropped.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Why isn’t some of it being made available to try and stay in the lucrative EPL?!

Because DF and SW are realists and have accepted our fate weeks ago like many other realists on the forum, no?

I think anybody who’s recently said ‘we’re down’ cannot really be disappointed if we don’t get any extra bodies in this window. What are they disappointed about? Otherwise their recent words about realism knowing full well that we had this transfer window upcoming hold little water with me.

I’m not sure Drmic will stay fit admittedly, but I’m sure looking forward to the return of arguably our best CB who’s not played a minute this season, Timm Klose. And yes, I firmly believe he’s PL quality, I would even suggest he’s more suited to the PL than the Championship.

It will just be a relief to get only our 4th win of the season if we can do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It’s great that our injuries have cleared up and that we now have options available up front and in defence.

Unfortunately Mr Farke, some of those options are either simply not good enough for this level (Hanley) or have a woeful injury record (Drmic) and simply shouldn’t be anywhere near our Premier League survival push.

Of course I don’t for a minute believe that given the choice, he wouldn’t bring in reinforcements to bolster the squad, and it’s only because the club has refused to spend absolutely anything to try and stay up. Given the Premier League is supposedly worth £100m+ for a promoted team, where on Earth has all that money gone and why isn’t some of it being made available to try and stay in the lucrative EPL?!

You don’t do yourself any favours posting what it only takes a moment to see is rubbish. 

1 - do you seriously believe Zimmerman has been better than Hanley in recent games? As the estimable Captain Pants has said, Zimbo might make the odd spectacular last minute tackle, but it’s Hanley who has been better of the two. And I say that in sorrow because Zimbo was my POTS last season.

2 - “the club has refused to spend absolutely anything to try and stay up”. Did you miss us spending money loaning and buying players in the summer? Did you miss Duda and Rupp joining? Loans aren’t free you know.

3 - apparently Drmic has a woeful injury record. How you think we afforded him? Doesn’t Byram have “a woeful injury record” too? Or does that not count because it doesn’t fit your fantasy that the club has spent no money? We have to gamble with the funds we have, and one way we do that is to take a calculated risk with players whose value is lower than it might be because of injuries. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won’t, but if we do our homework well (and I would be confident Webber does exactly that) it can be effective way to pick up a bargain - as Byram emphatically demonstrates.

Edited by Nuff Said