Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Lakey Was Right, It Can Be Done.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So seven in fiftyΒ  years butΒ  none in last 25 years. .. . Just after the start of the Premier league.Β  Interesting.Β  I'mΒ  a pretty positive guyΒ  but top four , despite being 'possible ' was unlikelyΒ  at best .

36 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

We get an honourable mention for 86/87 😊

Indeed we do HIWEM as we finished 6th following promotion.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed we do HIWEM as we finished 6th following promotion.

5th, actually 😎

If memory serves me right, we beat Arsenal at highbury last day of the season 2-1

Myself and a friend celebrated by getting pΓ­ssed in London, and on the train home, and subsequently decided to break into Carra Rud at about 1am to kiss the centre spot. This attracted the attention of the local constabulary. Luckily, something kicked off at a nightclub and we were booted out of the back of the police van before the nick could be completedΒ 

The copper who pulled us was a guy we knew, I used to play cricket with him πŸ˜€

☝️

We climbed over the walls/fences at the river end, rather than cause damage breaking in, btw...not that that was a sensible thing regardlessΒ 

I've just googled that season, what memories, winning at Old Trafford, beating Liverpool... I think the win at Leicester was the famous Trevor Putney goal πŸ˜ƒ

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So are we going to finish top 4 ?Β 

If everyone draws every game except those they play against us, and we win every game from here on in, I think we’d finish third...Β 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

If everyone draws every game except those they play against us, and we win every game from here on in, I think we’d finish third...Β 

Game on then.

Of course it can be done, not for us this season oof course, but Sheff Utd are currently in the top six - and dare I say it but even Binwich finished 5th in 2001 on promotion. We lost our championship winning momentum, but still have the ability and method to get further up the table - that can be done too, maybe not 4th or top six, but up into the pack.

Β 

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

We did finish 3rd once Crafty...

Not under the old trout we didn't Nutty.

88/89 finished 4th and FA cup semi finalists.Β  Finished reading City in the 80's last night good read for those remembering the club through that decade.

Is six points in the next two games impossible?

This is the last chance hotel imo so let’s see how we react.Β 

What’s different about us is we are young, the manager hasn’t β€œlost the dressing room”, we have some class players and a striker that will score.

Long shot from here but we are pretty unique so past records from other clubs don’t mean that much.

Top four here we come ( or maybe just staying up)

OTBC

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

This is starting to sound like the history channel. We should be careful we do mot morph into that lot down the road😱

Point taken πŸ™‚

But for people like me who used to go back then, it's nice toΒ  read and post about those days, both good and bad times

The difference with the neighbours is that some of them think history has some relevance to the present day and age

23 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

☝️

We climbed over the walls/fences at the river end, rather than cause damage breaking in, btw...not that that was a sensible thing regardlessΒ 

I've just googled that season, what memories, winning at Old Trafford, beating Liverpool... I think the win at Leicester was the famous Trevor Putney goal πŸ˜ƒ

I think you’re a very naughty boy HIWEM πŸ˜‚.Β Do you wish you hadn’t told us about that ?

Out of curiosity, did you scale that big gate between the River End and the old South stand ? That’s how we got in after a big night out . Ran around like drunken idiots ( Norwich Bitter of course ) scoring imaginary goals against Ipswich in front of the Barclay . I had a crisis of confidence getting back over the gate and got stuck on the top . Needed a lot of coaxing to get down . Nobody saw us .Β 
Shocking behaviour of course .... but bloody brilliant all the same .

1 hour ago, Pockthorpe said:

I think you’re a very naughty boy HIWEM πŸ˜‚.Β Do you wish you hadn’t told us about that ?

Out of curiosity, did you scale that big gate between the River End and the old South stand ? That’s how we got in after a big night out . Ran around like drunken idiots ( Norwich Bitter of course ) scoring imaginary goals against Ipswich in front of the Barclay . I had a crisis of confidence getting back over the gate and got stuck on the top . Needed a lot of coaxing to get down . Nobody saw us .Β 
Shocking behaviour of course .... but bloody brilliant all the same .

Hell if I remember now! it was certainly the South Stand side of the River End, I remember there was barbed wire on top, because I cut my hands to bits. I thought it was a wall, but I could be wrong

9 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Hell if I remember now! it was certainly the South Stand side of the River End, I remember there was barbed wire on top, because I cut my hands to bits. I thought it was a wall, but I could be wrong

It happened quite recently (maybe last year?) They celebrated with a slide in front ofΒ the Barclay. All on camera of courseπŸ™ƒ