Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Team for Bournemouth

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I don't think thats exclusive to Vrancic though. Mclean is another pertinent example of a player who seems to be non-existent in the second half of games.

Why though? Is it fitness or are we getting thought tactically?

40 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Why though? Is it fitness or are we getting thought tactically?

No idea! It's usually most obvious when we've had a really good first half and not taken our chances and ended up with a slender 1-0 lead, or even worse finished the half 0-0 despite dominating. I imagine it becomes mentally draining to an extent. You'd have to say a player like Mario isn't recognised for his athleticism and maybe it's more apparent at this level of football?

Reality is probably somewhere in the middle where we may not have quite enough in midfield in terms of a big, athletic, strong holding midfielder (unless Amadou can become that). Tettey for me has been great but he's not an intimidating physical presence and is also another one who I imagine struggles in the last 20 minutes of games.

I’m really surprised that a number of people want to bench our second highest scorer and most creative player after Buendia.

Yes Cantwell can frustrate at times but he scores goals, we are a team that desperately needs goals so benching him makes no sense to me. Plus he was one of the few players who I personally thought didn’t go missing against United.

• Like 4

I'm seeing a lot of Jamal in people's starting lineups. What are the chances that Farke actually puts him back in?

I hope Godfrey is back. I wouldn't mind him getting a chance in defensive midfield again. Would mean Hanley and Zimbo could keep their places.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I’m really surprised that a number of people want to bench our second highest scorer and most creative player after Buendia.

Yes Cantwell can frustrate at times but he scores goals, we are a team that desperately needs goals so benching him makes no sense to me. Plus he was one of the few players who I personally thought didn’t go missing against United.

Let's face it, only Cantwell came out of the Man U game with any credit.  I'm thinking the same about Byram.  I agree with playing Duda if he's ready to start; really don't know anything about Rupp, so I'd be really surprised if he started him ahead of one of Tettey, Amadou, Trybull, Vrancic, MacLean or Leitner.  Everyone's assuming Godfrey and Pukki are both fit to start as well. So, assuming all the above are fit and available, for me, its:

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Byram

Tettey Trybull

Buendia Duda Cantwell

Pukki

3 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I like Cantwell. Of course he frustrates at times due to not tracking back and following runners, but he will only improve.

It will be interesting to see if Duda is more of a Buendia esque player and closes down the opposition and play aggressively or he is more casual style like Cantwell. Its all about the right balance and the difficult thing for Cantwell / or our 3 behind Pukki is we are struggling to provide the front line with a competent & regular DM/Midfield partnership. If we can crack that aspect, our attacking players will have more assurances to play creatively.

Cantwell just hasn't been good enough off the ball, constantly losing his man and not tracking back enough. Its all well and good doing the attacking but we need to make sure we're solid against Bournemouth.

• Thanks 1

Please not a Tetty/ Trybull combo against Bournemouth. Tetty and Vrancic please. It doesn't necessarily click against the top teams but I believe that we need to create from midfield and link with Cantwell et al.

41 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Please not a Tetty/ Trybull combo against Bournemouth. Tetty and Vrancic please. It doesn't necessarily click against the top teams but I believe that we need to create from midfield and link with Cantwell et al.

To be honest, Leitner might be good there too.  I don't think Bournemouth play the same high press that other clubs do, which doesn't allow Leitner the time and space to do what he does best. 

In theory, any combination of our central midfielders should be capable.  At the start of the season, I'd have said, on paper, Amadou and Leitner would be our best combination, but no-one apart from Tettey has really grasped that position and made it their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

Let's face it, only Cantwell came out of the Man U game with any credit.

Really? Is that because he got one shot on target?  Most of the time he was just as ineffective as the others. Man Utd did for the whole team, just overpowered them, including Cantwell.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Really? Is that because he got one shot on target?  Most of the time he was just as ineffective as the others. Man Utd did for the whole team, just overpowered them, including Cantwell.

As ineffective as the others you included in your team? 

No he was more effective, that's how he had our best chance which nearly changed the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crab man said:

Cantwell just hasn't been good enough off the ball, constantly losing his man and not tracking back enough. Its all well and good doing the attacking but we need to make sure we're solid against Bournemouth.

And Krul isn't scoring enough goals. It's all very well him trying to save shots but you don't win without goals. 

Whilst solid defensively , its become noticable that a lack of left foot is hampering Bryram's distribution from the back and also going forward when crossing, regularly having to check inside onto his stronger foot.

Will undoubetly be important to us next season in one shape or form , probably as first choice RB.....but for now I think its time to restore Lewis...certainly in a game like Bournemouth where we have to take it to them with attacking full backs

13 hours ago, Van wink said:

Man U wasn’t typical of our recent performances.

It really wasn't, we tried but Man Utd were on fire after their defeat by Man City in midweek. A mate who is a Man utd fan said he hadn't seen them that motivated for a match since the Ferguson days.

Looking forward to the next couple of fixtures, can’t remember when I last said that when we were stuck in the bottom three.

• Like 1

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Byram

Trybull Rupp

Buendia  McLean. Cantwell

Pukki

Duda last 30 for McLean

On 15/01/2020 at 15:30, lake district canary said:

Cantwell is still learning imo and I would like to see him being more creative. As I have watched him this season at games and most recently at Preston, he runs around a lot, plays small passes accurately most of the time but plays key passes very rarely. You could say he only has to do one key pass to lead to a goal, but when you look at Vrancic, Buendia for instance, they are trying and succeeding in key passes a lot more.  Cantwell has scored goals too, fair enough, but for sheer agression in attack, Hernandez on his day is hurting defenders, pulling them out of position which creates space for others - and often makes shots on goal.  If Duda and Buendia can make the key passes, then Hernandez with Lewis on the left, with Aarons on the right, every single player is offering something positive all the time, with of course the intelligence and skill of Pukki up front.  Cantwell is an important player for us, but I think we can be more effective with others in the team at the moment.

Everything backs up what you are saying except reality. Cantwell’s stats and goals speak for themselves.

1 hour ago, Bonzo said:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Godfrey Byram

Trybull Rupp

Buendia  McLean. Cantwell

Pukki

Duda last 30 for McLean

I’d be tempted to swap Amadou for Rupp and if I felt lucky I might risk Leitner for Trybull but pretty much spot on.

On 15/01/2020 at 10:44, jaberry2 said:

Krul

Byram, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Lewis

Rupp, Vrancic

Emi, Duda, Hernadez

Pukki

Hernandez really hasn't stepped up this season to deserve a start. Todd is more effective

• Like 1

Attack, attack, attack.

We’re at last chance saloon......Bournemouth haven’t scored in their last three matches, so Wilson is bound to find the back of the net.

All we have to do is score one more than them.

If we’re going down this season, let’s do it ‘all guns blazing’ aka last season.

Lewis and Aarons to spend more time in the opposition half than their own.

Hit them hard.....give ‘em hell......

Nobody has suggested playing three centre halves, which we could now do as we have three fit probably for the first time all season. I've been under the impression that it is an option that Farke has wanted to employ allowing the full backs more freedom to push on, again something he likes. Lewis better going forward than Byram. 

Krul

Aarons. Zimbo. Godfrey. Hanley. Lewis

Tetty

Emi. Duda. Cantwell

Pukki

Maybe not a pick for Bournemouth at home but I can see something like it playing away or against the better teams

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:
On 15/01/2020 at 15:30, lake district canary said:

Cantwell is still learning imo and I would like to see him being more creative. As I have watched him this season at games and most recently at Preston, he runs around a lot, plays small passes accurately most of the time but plays key passes very rarely. You could say he only has to do one key pass to lead to a goal, but when you look at Vrancic, Buendia for instance, they are trying and succeeding in key passes a lot more.  Cantwell has scored goals too, fair enough, but for sheer agression in attack, Hernandez on his day is hurting defenders, pulling them out of position which creates space for others - and often makes shots on goal.  If Duda and Buendia can make the key passes, then Hernandez with Lewis on the left, with Aarons on the right, every single player is offering something positive all the time, with of course the intelligence and skill of Pukki up front.  Cantwell is an important player for us, but I think we can be more effective with others in the team at the moment.

Everything backs up what you are saying except reality. Cantwell’s stats and goals speak for themselves.

I don't particularly believe in stats as they are often misleading - and goals is not much help if we aren't getting results. I really like Todd as a player and he has great potential, but in our situation we need results.  Hernandez is different in style from Todd - he is direct and effective where Todd is more of a link player - and it does seem that for a place in the team they are vying with each other for that place. At this stage - imo - we need to be direct.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't particularly believe in stats as they are often misleading - and goals is not much help if we aren't getting results. I really like Todd as a player and he has great potential, but in our situation we need results.  Hernandez is different in style from Todd - he is direct and effective where Todd is more of a link player - and it does seem that for a place in the team they are vying with each other for that place. At this stage - imo - we need to be direct.

Hernandez may be direct but he has been pretty ineffective this year.

You may not believe in stats but they show that Cantwell is one of our best and one of the most likely to provide the result we need.

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

On one side we have stats, goals and appearances - i.e. Farke's verdict - and on the other your "imo".

Nuff said.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

On one side we have stats, goals and appearances - i.e. Farke's verdict - and on the other your "imo".

Nuff said.

I'm of the old school who prefers to rely on the evidence of their eyes. :classic_cool:

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm of the old school who prefers to rely on the evidence of their eyes. :classic_cool:

You’re eyes are biased, they see what they want to see a lot of the time. I’m not saying gut feeling and perception aren’t relevant but stats provide the evidence for those feelings, or not and change the perceptions.