Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Reasons to be cheerful : part 3, 4, 5, 6....

I don''t really need to post anything here do I :-)

But i''m going to anyway cos I just like the sound of it!

Binners 0 - Norwich 2

Leon! Leon!

Say, we are top of the league, say we are top of the league!

Merry Chistmas to everyone who posts on here whether we share views or not; all Norwich fans; the players and staff at Carrow Road past, present and future; Worthy, Delia and the board; my Mum and Dad for bringing me into the world on the right side of the border, my brother for taking me to my first match in 1971; the missus for putting up with me; my kids who are now safely indoctrinated in all things yellow and green despite being surrounded by Gooners, Spurs, West Ham, ManU etc; oh - and anyone else who cares to read this rambling drivel!

See you all on Friday.

Sure thing Wiz.

Being born on the ''right side of the border'' is not meant to be solely geographical - more a ''state of mind'' I think. I was obviously shown the light at an early age!

As long as your yella ''n'' green you could be born in Timbuktu it doesn''t matter to me.

On the subject of indoctrinating youngsters surrounded in man u, chelsea, arsenal kiddies, how did you ween them onto City NMTD? Me mate has a couple of youngsters and they were a complete law unto themselves when choosing their teams. The more you try and turn them to a team, the more they resist! And as with most kids they make their choices on the basis of who they can annoy the most! If daddy supports chelsea, joe becomes an arsenal fan and jack picks newcastle because the black and white stripes stand out most from blue or red. His two are now 10 and 12 and are ardent fans. But it wasn''t born out of any genuine affiliation to the team in question and they will probably never in their lifetime know what relegation feels like, what grimsby on a cold tuesday feels like, or what yesteday felt like for us. I can''t explain it to them because you can''t appreciate what happened yesterday without appreciating what has gone before it. As 10 and 12 year old arsenal and newcastle fans the biggest dissapointment they''ve felt is going out of the Champions League. I guess what i''m saying is, I''m worried for our future fanbase when kids today, no matter how close they may live to a lower league team, are so seduced, understandably, by the marketing monster, and accommpanying prestige, that is the Premier League. I guess we just have to get there ourselves! That would help!

Oo, that was a bit deep. For me!

I have had a bit more success with my two (10 & 7). The eldest joins me in the barclay lower every other week & the youngest is getting just as fanatical. They have quickly picked up a dislike for Wolves, Millwall (one school friend supports them) and the bin men and taunted my sister in law mercilessly yesterday without any prompting from me - a very proud moment!

The biggest threat comes from the playground and peer pressure but so far they refuse to be herded into ManUre, Gooners or Chelski & are developing a dislike to the more popular teams.

So there is some hope for the future yet..

i guess i was quite lucky with my two kids, now aged 22 and 17. The first match i took them to was in the 92/93 season, when it was easy to support the canaries, we moved back to the area that autumn and the following season went to all the home games and several away, and they both took to NCFC straight away.

Once captured, you can never escape!!

Since relegation, they both took a lot of stick at school, especially my son, the younger one, who was surrounded by man U glory hunters, but he is still proud to support his team and has had a season ticket since the demise of Chase.

Yes, it can be done, but you have to keep at it, by taking them to the games, and the reserve games too, to player appearances, like the open day, up to Colney, so they can meet their heroes.

I am really proud to say both my kids have been chosen as mascots and they both had magical days with photos to remind them of their special honour. But many of their friends were not taken to games and so fell by the wayside, i am sure if i was not such a passionate supporter myself i would have not been so bothered, not that at any time i forced them to go.

My pride in them was summed up yesterday, when my daughter flew back from working on a flight to New York, and drove straight up to Portman Road and phoned and texted me constantly, so I could enjoy that great victory. They were both full of it when I spoke to them as they drove home to Norwich.

The playground peer pressure is intense, but I am proud to say, both of them decided early on to stand up for themselves and the team and hey, I have done my bit, guys, two life long supporters!!!!

Maybe not as mad as me, but I am so glad I took them both when they were young, just as I was taken to stand in the River End myself, by my dad.

Totally agree with you Gazza. You have to take them young (assuming they want to go - they always do if you get them young enough) and once hooked they stay with it. Like you my dad took me to stand in the River End when I was young, the first game I can remember was against Palace in 1957 (Barry Butler''s debut) although my mum has apicture of me sitting on my dad''s friend shoulders even earlier.Both my daughters are now fans. My eldest was also working a flight at the weekend but in the other direction. She phoned me last night to get the score and I think the whole of Los Angeles knows we''re top now judging by the noise she was making. I know it''s harder now because of the cost but take them young and they''ll stick with it.

Yep a1 - as its been posted here already it taking ''em at an early age that counts.

I took my boy to his first match at two and a half - a depressing 0-0 against Port Vale a few seasons back.

Fortunately we were able to listen to Sunday''s match on the web via Radio 5 Live Sports Extra despite Brian Hamiltons ramblings, and then see the match on Anglia which i''m lucky enough to be able to get down here due to an Eiffel Tower of an aerial that we have!

I started buying him a season ticket at 4, which I shared with some others to start with but now he''s 7 and hooked - a regular with me in the Snake Pit.

Proud moment for me, was when during a quiet spell, he suddenly shouted at the team to ''keep it down and pass'' (none of this long ball stuff for him then!) and the first time he sang ''On the ball City!''

As he gets older i''m sure the peer pressure will come, especially living in the North/East London catchment area but I think the key is to keep taking him - he know''s he can''t go to anywhere else with me at least!

My second is only just 4 and has been to one away match at Wimbledon (4-2 loss I think) but I need some people to move to new stand in order to get an extra seat. No family enclosure for us - I want them to experience the atmosphere.

Anyway, I think its all educational. Supporting a team like Norwich is character building - you have to learn to live with the highs and the lows - at the moment we''re riding high - and long may it continue, but I know that when the next rough period comes we''ll still be there cheering the lads on.

Not that i''m trying to tempt fate, but last Saturday morning I caught my boy drawing a picture of a Norwich shirt with a big no 6 on the back and Huckerby''s name.... I wonder if he''ll get his Christmas wish?

Come on Santa, how am I going to explain that if you don''t deliver in a couple of days time...

nmtd

i am even worse than your son mate, i am even thinking of going to the local grotto to ask santa myself if he can fit DH into my xtra large stocking!! lol

I''m 13, born in Norwich, parents forced me to move too Ipsw$ch, I still love Norwich, and I will always....................2-0

My son started to bend towards Man.Utd. even to the extent that my wife persuaded me to put up Man. Utd wall paper in his bedroom!
His grandad gave me some money for his birthday 2 years ago with which I bought a half season ticket (£10 then) he then went to the christmas panto met the players abd the rest they say is history.
His birthday is in Febuary and top of his present list every year since next years season ticket.

The best news he needs somebody to take him so I get mine without any hassle??

So no more shopping trips !! (well it''s quality time with my son isn''t it!)

The message I always give to my kids is that it is they who should be taking the mickey out of those who are sad and treacherous enough to desert their own roots by "supporting" a team from Manchester, Liverpool, London etc.