Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Getting ready for the Championship and player sales

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm not a tax expert but wouldn't it make sense to sell one of them this tax year whilst we have an operating debt? Don't think we will lose Lewis but you can add Buendia to the list. There are some serious assets there and I hope we use it well to buy our way out of the Championship.

well you are correct , spread over time would be perfect but any profit is taxable , so if we went down and they a left ( example ) then Tax would be a problem if not spent 

Its amazing to me that we have so many players apparently valued so highly when we can't win a game. It must mean the rest of the players are really, really bad!

Aatons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki are all supposedly worth about £30m each! Some reckon Godfrey at £50m. Even Krul, Klose and Zimbo are in the £10m bracket according to some. On another thread the club as a whole is valued at about £60m. Given we own our ground, lots of land around it and all of the Colney Centre, as well as these players contracts and about another 50 including the Academy, I may not be the world's best at Maths but if anyone fancies starting a consortium to buy the club, I'm in!! With that asset value against cost how can we lose?

A supporters consortium buys it for £60m, we flog those 6 or 7, pay a thumping great dividend of about £120m, then flog it on again. Lots of angry people but what do we care, we're on a beach in Barbados!

My point being that perhaps our players aren't really worth that much after all...…and perhaps our owners are not really bleeding the club dry?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daly said:

If we lose the majority of players as mentioned above we can look forward to years of mid table mediocrity in The Championship.Think it’s disgusting how this BOD have learnt absolutely nothing from previous promotions and know that season tickets will sell out whatever league we are in

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

We will struggle losing that many Chumino. 3 from your first named 5 might be survivable. Replacing Teemu will be very difficult. Scoring goals gets you out of the Championship. Always had been. If he went we would need someone like Gayle, Mitrovic...proven at that level.

Ps. I posted a thread earlier about whether players might ask to leave upon relegation. My son is convinced we will lose the lot!

Gayle was mentioned as someone who we were offered for £105,000 a week. I don't think he's coming to Norwich any time soon. Bear in mind that Drinkwater is supposedly on £110,000 and Villa are covering all of that - he was in the team beaten 6-1 by City this week. So, no, you don't always get what you pay for.

Norwich get criticised for not going for it - you can't say that Villa haven't gone for it; they've spent about £170m so far. Who would you rather be?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Gayle was mentioned as someone who we were offered for £105,000 a week. I don't think he's coming to Norwich any time soon. Bear in mind that Drinkwater is supposedly on £110,000 and Villa are covering all of that - he was in the team beaten 6-1 by City this week. So, no, you don't always get what you pay for.

Norwich get criticised for not going for it - you can't say that Villa haven't gone for it; they've spent about £170m so far. Who would you rather be?

Leicester or Wolves or Sheffield United. 

I used to want to be Bournemouth or Stoke or Huddersfield. 

To be honest, I might still want to be Bournemouth. There’s a long way to go. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, daly said:

If we lose the majority of players as mentioned above we can look forward to years of mid table mediocrity in The Championship.Think it’s disgusting how this BOD have learnt absolutely nothing from previous promotions and know that season tickets will sell out whatever league we are in

Didn’t you say that when we sold Maddison?

25 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Its amazing to me that we have so many players apparently valued so highly when we can't win a game. It must mean the rest of the players are really, really bad!

Aatons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell, Pukki are all supposedly worth about £30m each! Some reckon Godfrey at £50m. Even Krul, Klose and Zimbo are in the £10m bracket according to some. On another thread the club as a whole is valued at about £60m. Given we own our ground, lots of land around it and all of the Colney Centre, as well as these players contracts and about another 50 including the Academy, I may not be the world's best at Maths but if anyone fancies starting a consortium to buy the club, I'm in!! With that asset value against cost how can we lose?

A supporters consortium buys it for £60m, we flog those 6 or 7, pay a thumping great dividend of about £120m, then flog it on again. Lots of angry people but what do we care, we're on a beach in Barbados!

My point being that perhaps our players aren't really worth that much after all...…and perhaps our owners are not really bleeding the club dry?

Other clubs are paying for what they are expected to become not what they are. As long as the money is invested wisely we will be in a good position. In most other EPL teams these young guys would not be playing and developing, at least certainly not every week.

9 hours ago, daly said:

Are you disgusted that the BOD haven't invested in players this season or that they are going to sell the majority of our players?

1) We haven't sold anyone yet.

2) If/when we do, I feel like Webber has done enough for us to trust that he will promote more youth players and invest wisely.

3) They have learned from previous promotions. They learned that we can't "**** money up the wall with nothing to show for it", placing our existence as a club in jeopardy. 

5 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The core of our team is probably upper Championship standard. 

When I say that, the majority of the players you mentioned (Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki) are forwards, wingers and full backs. The centre backs and centre midfielders are decent, but just not quite good enough.

Godfrey is great but it has been mentioned that he struggled a bit without a more experienced head next to him.

This is backed up by the Duda and Rupp signings. I think they will sign a solid centre back and possibly another striker on loan to cover Pukki.  

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Next season starting 11.

Krull,

Byram, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Lewis

Vrancic, Thompson, McClean

Buendia, Rupp, Hernandez

Idah

The sales of Aarons, Cantwell, Steipermann, Pukki, Lietner, Hanley not sure but I believe Tettey & Klose will be allowed to find other clubs if still in contract.

1) I really don't think we'll keep Buendia or Godfrey

2) Even if we do I don't think they'll let us start 12 players 😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Next season starting 11.

Krull,

Buendia, Rupp, Hernandez

Idah

The sales of Aarons, Cantwell, Steipermann, Pukki, Lietner, Hanley not sure but I believe Tettey & Klose will be allowed to find other clubs if still in contract.

We would definitely win the league playing with twelve men 😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We would definitely win the league playing with twelve men 😂

You’re not wrong TY, LiVARpool have been doing it all season

• Haha 1

I was under the impression that tying almost the entire Championship-winning team to long contracts and spending the sum total of sweet FA in the summer so as not to get ourselves into trouble in the event of relegation was entirely designed so we could keep the squad together and NOT have to sell the family silver if we went down? 

If we go down having spent pretty much zero and still end up selling players in the summer I would be asking serious questions about where the EPL money has gone, every season is supposedly worth £100m in the PL, I’m not saying Delia is trousering it but the club simply cannot plead poverty with that amount of cash injected and barely touched.

7 hours ago, king canary said:

1) I really don't think we'll keep Buendia or Godfrey

2) Even if we do I don't think they'll let us start 12 players 😉

As pointed out, yep maths was ****e yesterday 😂

16 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I certainly believe  that those figures are pie in the sky. I don't see any club paying anywhere near that sort of money for any of the aforementioned players. We may get £20m for Buendia as his stats are good and Cantwell may attract similar although more like £12-15m imo. As for Godfrey Lewis and Aarrons just cant see teams shelling out big buck on defenders who cant defend. I think they'll wait and see what they have learned back in the championship first. After all if the 3 of them are worth £110m between them we should only let in about 2 goals all season next year in championship. Bet we don't. Bet we still leak like a sieve.

3 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I certainly believe  that those figures are pie in the sky. I don't see any club paying anywhere near that sort of money for any of the aforementioned players. We may get £20m for Buendia as his stats are good and Cantwell may attract similar although more like £12-15m imo. As for Godfrey Lewis and Aarrons just cant see teams shelling out big buck on defenders who cant defend. I think they'll wait and see what they have learned back in the championship first. After all if the 3 of them are worth £110m between them we should only let in about 2 goals all season next year in championship. Bet we don't. Bet we still leak like a sieve.

Ryan Sessegnon was part of a pretty crap Fulham team and was in and out of the team but still went for £25m. 

Teams looking at Aarons and Godfrey will be looking at their potential. Godfrey is an excellent ball-playing central defender who counts as homegrown. Teams will look at those skills and think surrounded by better team mates in a team that plays more on the front foot that he'll flourish. 

Similarly Aarons is in a lot of ways the perfect modern fullback- fast, comfortable on the ball, able to attack. Teams higher up the league with stronger central defenders/defensive midfielders will be licking their lips at what a player like him could do and what he could become.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Indy said:

Next season starting 11.

Krull,

Buendia, Rupp, Hernandez

Idah

Sadly Thompson is made of glass.

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

That’s true, but I hold out some hope, he started the season a couple years back so well. 

34 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I also dont see him getting in ahead of Trybull even with a fit pre season

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I also dont see him getting in ahead of Trybull even with a fit pre season

No probably not.

It is not a given that relegation necessarily results in us losing our young talent. If a player wants to go maybe it is best to let them. However if our players go to other Premiership clubs in the event that we are relegated this year they may get relegated at their new club next year like Pritchard or they may find that they don’t play as was the case when Sinclair went to City.

Staying and winning another promotion playing football every week might be more attractive and a better bet for their development.

Most of our younger players have plenty of time ahead of them in the professional game. If a top 6 club comes in for them and is going to commit to giving them first team football it’s fair enough if they go. Otherwise we still have a case to make for them staying at the club. 

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I don't think you understand football. Young players are expected to make mistakes. Name me a player who was the finished article at 21? What clubs do is weigh up a players age, attributes, game intelligence etc and compare to the number of mistakes they make (which will inevitably decline as they get more experienced). Our young players are some of the best in the country by that measure and will go for around the sums being quoted. You seriously think a 21year old already proven to be a highly capable Premier League attacking player is worth a couple of million more than the Murphy brothers, or the same price as Pritchard??!

27 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I don't think you understand football. Young players are expected to make mistakes. Name me a player who was the finished article at 21? What clubs do is weigh up a players age, attributes, game intelligence etc and compare to the number of mistakes they make (which will inevitably decline as they get more experienced). Our young players are some of the best in the country by that measure and will go for around the sums being quoted. You seriously think a 21year old already proven to be a highly capable Premier League attacking player is worth a couple of million more than the Murphy brothers, or the same price as Pritchard??!

👍👍

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Adam Webster left Bristol City for £20+ m having been a mid-table Championship player, and there's inflated figures on homegrown players on long-term contracts.

Most clubs won't play young defenders because their inexperience causes them to make mistakes, but I can see Godfrey and Aarons going for at least £25+ million.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like that might be  the case, real shame because everything I saw from him when fit was all good.