Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

So what homegrown CBs do you know of who would be available in January.

What overseas CBs do you know of who would be available in January? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

So what homegrown CBs do you know of who would be available in January.

What overseas CBs do you know of who would be available in January? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Here’s the man himself...

 

Thanks for that, guess most people missed the bit where he said he normally plays in the centre, as a 6, 8 or 10, but can play wide.

Paddy's been banging on that Farke hasn't been able to get a balance in central midfield, feeling that Tettey/Trybull protects the defence but offers little going forward, and Vrancic or Leitner struggle to protect the back four, so maybe this signing is trying to address that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Chris Sutton came through as a centre back, went on to become the most expensive player in Britain football history and a Premier League winner as a striker, and then often played in centre midfield for Celtic towards the end of his career where he could split a defence open to feed Larsson. Could then wake up the morning after the game and go and hit a century on the cricket field. 

Yeah, but he wasn't a patch on Daryl Sutch who I believe played in every single position (including goalkeeper) for us during his time as a City player. 😉😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Ok probably the best example but no world beater 

Philipp Lahm could play inverted left back, right back, defensive midfield, and right wing. His nickname was the "magic dwarf", which is a bit ironic as I've just noticed your username, he won 113 caps for Germany, Champions League winner, and World Cup winner and World Club Cup winner.

Perhaps versatility is something they try to harness in Germany? In England there seems to be a belief that if a young player doesn't play consistently in the same position they become a jack of all trades and master of none. 

But he would be the best example, and literally was a World beater at both club and international level. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Philipp Lahm could play inverted left back, right back, defensive midfield, and right wing. His nickname was the "magic dwarf", which is a bit ironic as I've just noticed your username, he won 113 caps for Germany, Champions League winner, and World Cup winner and World Club Cup winner.

Perhaps versatility is something they try to harness in Germany? In England there seems to be a belief that if a young player doesn't play consistently in the same position they become a jack of all trades and master of none. 

But he would be the best example, and literally was a World beater at both club and international level. 

Joshua Kimmich is the new example of this in Germany as nobody knows if he's a midfielder or a right back in the long term. I've heard there have been calls- either from the player or the pundits- for him to be used in one position so he can at least get some continuity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Philipp Lahm could play inverted left back, right back, defensive midfield, and right wing. His nickname was the "magic dwarf", which is a bit ironic as I've just noticed your username, he won 113 caps for Germany, Champions League winner, and World Cup winner and World Club Cup winner.

Perhaps versatility is something they try to harness in Germany? In England there seems to be a belief that if a young player doesn't play consistently in the same position they become a jack of all trades and master of none. 

But he would be the best example, and literally was a World beater at both club and international level.

Yeah good point I forgot about him great player otbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely missed this (although in fairness that's because I've just become a Dad for the first time - good excuse, I'd like to think!).

Know nothing about this guy, but strikes me from reading around he seems a bit like the German version of Jonny Howson. Works hard, seems to be quite skillful without being flash and can be used in a multitude of roles. Coupled with a level of experience we don't really have in the squad, he is a signing that makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

Absolutely agree though it's not a signing that addresses the key weaknesses the side has.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Completely missed this (although in fairness that's because I've just become a Dad for the first time - good excuse, I'd like to think!).

Congrats buddy!

I found the first 5 weeks or so really tough but once they develop the ability to smile, the whole game changes and it becomes a lot more fun!!

I hope you enjoyed sleep whilst that was still a "thing" you had access to! 😉

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Congrats buddy!

I found the first 5 weeks or so really tough but once they develop the ability to smile, the whole game changes and it becomes a lot more fun!!

I hope you enjoyed sleep whilst that was still a "thing" you had access to! 😉

Thank you! You can probably guess the reasons I'm posting at 5 in the morning!

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Ok probably the best example but no world beater 

No, but likely to have won a League title with two different clubs come the end of this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Hope he improves the side and hope his appalling injury record also improves.

Appalling injury record? I know he missed last season, but other than that, does he actually have an appalling injury record or are you just making that up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hopefully not as sh*t. 

Short memory?

 

And congratulations Terminally! The first 21 years are the worst.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Appalling injury record? I know he missed last season, but other than that, does he actually have an appalling injury record or are you just making that up?

It's online look it up... It's not good but let's hope he gets lots of successful playing time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18/19 Cruciate Ligament Rupture May 7, 2018 Mar 12, 2019 309 days 34TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Calf Problems Mar 15, 2018 Mar 26, 2018 11 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Knee Problems Jan 29, 2018 Feb 12, 2018 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Ankle problems Jan 15, 2018 Jan 18, 2018 3 days -
17/18 Muscular problems Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018 0 days -
17/18 Rest Nov 23, 2017 Dec 11, 2017 18 days 5TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Hip problems Nov 2, 2017 Nov 6, 2017 4 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Pelvis Injury Oct 2, 2017 Oct 23, 2017 21 days 3TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Rest Aug 10, 2017 Aug 14, 2017 4 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Back trouble Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017 0 days -
16/17 Knee Problems Apr 27, 2017 May 11, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Fitness Feb 27, 2017 Mar 13, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Knee inflammation Dec 8, 2016 Feb 27, 2017 81 days 9TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Cold Dec 1, 2016 Dec 8, 2016 7 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

It's online look it up... It's not good but let's hope he gets lots of successful playing time

 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:
18/19 Cruciate Ligament Rupture May 7, 2018 Mar 12, 2019 309 days 34TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Calf Problems Mar 15, 2018 Mar 26, 2018 11 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Knee Problems Jan 29, 2018 Feb 12, 2018 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Ankle problems Jan 15, 2018 Jan 18, 2018 3 days -
17/18 Muscular problems Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018 0 days -
17/18 Rest Nov 23, 2017 Dec 11, 2017 18 days 5TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Hip problems Nov 2, 2017 Nov 6, 2017 4 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Pelvis Injury Oct 2, 2017 Oct 23, 2017 21 days 3TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Rest Aug 10, 2017 Aug 14, 2017 4 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Back trouble Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017 0 days -
16/17 Knee Problems Apr 27, 2017 May 11, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Fitness Feb 27, 2017 Mar 13, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Knee inflammation Dec 8, 2016 Feb 27, 2017 81 days 9TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Cold Dec 1, 2016 Dec 8, 2016 7 days

Good god, it looks like a Darren Anderton autobiography! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Thank you! You can probably guess the reasons I'm posting at 5 in the morning!

Congratulations! My boy is about 5 months now and just about sleeps through the night so it isn't for ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, king canary said:

Congratulations! My boy is about 5 months now and just about sleeps through the night so it isn't for ever.

True, but when they become teenagers  , you'll have sleepless nights for other  reasons.... ever tried persuading a 16 year old that 2am IS late enough to be picking them up from a party? Or waving your only daughter off on her first all girls holiday....to Magaluf...there's a whole weeks  sleep gone there. ...  in one  dose. As someone said  above... the first 21 years are the worst.

P,S more than 2 kids  in less than 5 years means you can't  get 3 baby seats/ boosters across the back seat of  a  normal car. This is very god advice unless you want to drive a people carrier or minibus.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Short memory?

Never really rated him, first touch is shocking. 

Chipped in with a few important goals last season, and worked his socks off, but he hasn't got much finesse has he and his work rate has dropped this season. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:
18/19 Cruciate Ligament Rupture May 7, 2018 Mar 12, 2019 309 days 34TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Calf Problems Mar 15, 2018 Mar 26, 2018 11 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Knee Problems Jan 29, 2018 Feb 12, 2018 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Ankle problems Jan 15, 2018 Jan 18, 2018 3 days -
17/18 Muscular problems Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018 0 days -
17/18 Rest Nov 23, 2017 Dec 11, 2017 18 days 5TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Hip problems Nov 2, 2017 Nov 6, 2017 4 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Pelvis Injury Oct 2, 2017 Oct 23, 2017 21 days 3TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Rest Aug 10, 2017 Aug 14, 2017 4 days 1TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
17/18 Back trouble Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017 0 days -
16/17 Knee Problems Apr 27, 2017 May 11, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Fitness Feb 27, 2017 Mar 13, 2017 14 days 2TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Knee inflammation Dec 8, 2016 Feb 27, 2017 81 days 9TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
16/17 Cold Dec 1, 2016 Dec 8, 2016 7 days

So he's only had one injury in the last three years that had kept him out for more than three weeks. Two of the injuries didn't keep him out, by the looks of it.

And I really hope he has overcome his rest problem. That's a real killer.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Ah yes. Thanks. As to the signing, he only turned 29 last week, and if the basic transfer fee is only 500,000 euros that looks like a bargain. If he adds some steel and game-management experience (which we seem to have lacked) then I can see that it making sense.

Posters who see many more games than I do say there is a real lack of characters in the side, so when we concede our frequent leads or go behind there is no one to gee players up.  Sounds as if Rupp might help in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So he's only had one injury in the last three years that had kept him out for more than three weeks. Two of the injuries didn't keep him out, by the looks of it.

And I really hope he has overcome his rest problem. That's a real killer.

He missed 38% of games in 16/17, 41% in 17/18 and 100% 18/19.... look I really hope it works out as I want us to stay up but we need someone who can survive a physical and demanding league. We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Philipp Lahm could play inverted left back, right back, defensive midfield, and right wing. His nickname was the "magic dwarf", which is a bit ironic as I've just noticed your username, he won 113 caps for Germany, Champions League winner, and World Cup winner and World Club Cup winner.

Perhaps versatility is something they try to harness in Germany? In England there seems to be a belief that if a young player doesn't play consistently in the same position they become a jack of all trades and master of none. 

But he would be the best example, and literally was a World beater at both club and international level. 

Let's also not forget Javier Zanetti (one of my all-time favourite players), who's played across the whole back four, across all the midfield, and even as a right forward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that we have done our homework on his fitness.

I have a 10 year old and a 15 year old. All fine but introduced a puppy into the equation over Xmas and am broken again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×