9 minutes ago, king canary said:

I’m the same- always open minded about signings but I don’t understand how a 29 year old utility player fits into that.

On the face of it I'm finding it hard to understand - but we really won't know until we see him play - and I guess we signed some 28 year old who many of us had never heard of before the beginning of last season and that worked out fairly well. 

53 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Versatility usually means someone that's not good enough to nail down a set position ,how many top class versatile players do you know?

James Milner? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Great contribution to the thread topic but then again never one to resist a bit of poster bashing hey wcorkio.

Have a nice evening

beleive it or not that wasnt directed at you, most of the transfer related threads have a couple of 'midfielder, we need defenders/strikers' type comments ,like people cant grasp how things work. Im sure a man of your experience and knowledge would understand . Good evening to you too.

Cost Hoffenheim £4.5m and allegedly bought for £450k by us. Sounds like he is a utility player in the Stiepermann category.

29 minutes ago, JF said:

Has anyone ever warned you of the dangers to brown nosing? Always wear protection 👍

Dear god 😂😂

At a guess this is one of those signings that we’re hoping can recapture his form a la Krul, either that or he’s a very good signing for Championship football. Likes to pass short. No good in the air. Good attitude. Maybe a more robust Leitner? Not a big fee and has some pedigree.

Lets hope he does well for us.

40 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yep yet again put your own slant on what was posted. Bizarre mentality as have i actually said the window had closed ? You seem to spend every waking hour on social media having a pop at anybody that does not conform to your take on things. I used the tense were instead of are but hey ho obviously i was totally unaware there is still over two weeks to go in this window according to you. You knew damn well what i was saying and the meaning but as usual you could not help yourself.

Maybe you would care to take to task the others on this thread who appear to be experiencing difficulty understanding this signing with our current defensive problems and lack of strikers ?

Think you may be taking things a tad personally.

Quoted you as an example. 

I agree that if we had signed this player INSTEAD of a striker or defender then I'd be concerned and quite rightly, underwhelmed. But, assuming like me you've not watched this guy play throughout most of his career, then theres no reason yet to be underwhelmed with the signing on it's own.

16 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

James Milner? 

Should have been, how many for 450k? 

Other that in the Blue Square North 

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Here’s the man himself...

Noticed he's got Robert's #7 shirt 👍

I've always thought we could do with a Joe Allen type player who not only can break up play and make a pass,  but has the engine to cover more of the pitch. Hopefully Lukas could fill that role.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Heise also left so I think we’re fine.

This is interesting, so if we don’t sign a defender from England then I’m assuming we will need to sell/loan another of our current overseas players in order to sign a defender now, 2 if we’re after a striker from abroad as well? Forgot we were at our limit.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Heise also left so I think we’re fine.

Ah yes. Thanks. As to the signing, he only turned 29 last week, and if the basic transfer fee is only 500,000 euros that looks like a bargain. If he adds some steel and game-management experience (which we seem to have lacked) then I can see that it making sense.

• Like 1

Suggests that we have no intention of signing a CB and will use Amadou and Tettey as cover, with Duda and Rupp as midfield cover. Otherwise it seems a bit bizarre. Otherthan that we will have to lose one of our foreign midfielders to make way for a CB?

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Suggests that we have no intention of signing a CB and will use Amadou and Tettey as cover, with Duda and Rupp as midfield cover. Otherwise it seems a bit bizarre. Otherthan that we will have to lose one of our foreign midfielders to make way for a CB?

Suggests nothing of the sort. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

There’s plenty of options in terms of getting “homegrown” players in + we also have 2 PL loan slots available.  The odd thing is that despite these things you may well be right!  

Just now, Nono said:

Suggests nothing of the sort. 

To you perhaps. Klose is expected to be available at some point this season.

So what homegrown CBs do you know of who would be available in January.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

How do you know it isn’t?

Have I missed something? Is there a written rule that states we sign players in a certain order according to their positions? 

There’s approximately 3 weeks of the transfer window left 🤦🏻‍♂️

It is priority at this moment not three weeks time.Another midfielder at this time is hardly something we are lacking.

17 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

It is priority at this moment not three weeks time.Another midfielder at this time is hardly something we are lacking.

There is a reason that most transfers go through right at the end of the two windows. The club might have started working on a centre half deal before the two players who have already arrived but everything has to fall in place for it to happen. 

Players aren’t signed in order of priority but rather as deals fall into place. 

• Like 2

Well I sure as hell hope that the deal hurries up and falls into place with the centre half we are desperate to sign

It wasn't long ago that many were crowing that Leitner, Stiepermann, Trybull were great signings and shrewd work by Webber and team. Now it doesn't matter if we lose them because they aren't up to it. But I guess that is the football business. And we have to always move on.

Until we see what Duda and Rupp can do and if they improve and complement the team we just have to trust Webber and team. Just in the way we had to trust them with Pukki, Buendia, Byram, and the four youngsters.

We obviously do not seem to have anyone ready to come through from the academy at the moment. Famewo out on loan and never a mention of anyone from midfield.

I just hope we don't have to waste a month getting them fit and tactically up to scratch. We have an opportunity on Saturday to help ourselves and damage a team in the same boat before we embark on some tough games (altough I accept every team is above us at the moment). We don't have any time left to turn it around and we must win on Saturday to open the door slightly. We cannot have new signings sitting about while we struggle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Cost Hoffenheim £4.5m and allegedly bought for £450k by us. Sounds like he is a utility player in the Stiepermann category.

Hopefully not as sh*t. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Or we could sign a homegrown centre back. 

Or send Ralf back, sign a domestic keeper and a foreign centre back. 

54 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Not lacking in termsn of numbers but this bloke could be an upgrade in quality? We will see. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

To you perhaps. Klose is expected to be available at some point this season.

So what homegrown CBs do you know of who would be available in January.

What a stupid and pointless response. 

Why not wait and see what happens over next few weeks. 

But there is no chance on earth we are going to attract better than we have at centre back unless we sell Godfrey. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

James Milner? 

Chris Sutton came through as a centre back, went on to become the most expensive player in Britain football history and a Premier League winner as a striker, and then often played in centre midfield for Celtic towards the end of his career where he could split a defence open to feed Larsson. Could then wake up the morning after the game and go and hit a century on the cricket field. 

• Like 1