Hardhouse44

What is it you realistically want, expect, and demand from your club

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

Imperative to keep Cat 1 to ensure we keep building on our young success, increase the scouting network into Eastern Europe to get young players like Duda into our youth set up, there are quality cheap potentially great players out there technically gifted made for our system under a Farke.

I have been shot down on this subject before, but I fear that post Brexit there will be no avenue to bring "unproven" talent in from the EU as freedom of movement is going way, and work visas will be based on criteria that will only allow established internationals.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

As an exile who only goes to a few matches, I would like to see the club - and I include all fans in that - always try to pull together, whatever the circumstances, good or bad. We have seen so many ups and downs - it's actually been a fantastic ride over the years - so I want to see everyone recognising what a great situation we are in. We are currently in the best financial situation perhaps ever in the club's history - and I want that maintained, not thrown away in the pursuit of some fairy land that may or may not exist.

Based on this you're always going to be disappointed because you can't demand other fans agree with you.

If you're happy with the direction the club is going in then that should be enough- to expect to see 'everyone recognising what a great situation we're in' just isn't going to happen as people have different views on that.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Based on this you're always going to be disappointed because you can't demand other fans agree with you.

If you're happy with the direction the club is going in then that should be enough- to expect to see 'everyone recognising what a great situation we're in' just isn't going to happen as people have different views on that.

Agree with your first statement.  As for being happy about that, no, I would still like to see more people recognise that we are on a good path.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with your first statement.  As for being happy about that, no, I would still like to see more people recognise that we are on a good path.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Most do see we are on a good path. You keep telling us we don’t though.

• Like 1

To reach our full potential for a club of our size. Since the renaissance in crowd numbers over the lasts  20 years the club have failed however you want to look at it . Take 27,000 fans for granted with a complete lack of investment is a sad state of affairs. 

A good thread, with plenty of divergent but respectful opinions put forward.

While the current owners are in charge, I want us to continue with this strategy of not bankrupting the club by gambling beyond our means in the transfer market, but rather buying young and hungry players on the cheap and promoting talent through our academy. 

I also would like to be reassured that the club is prepared to seek out possible investors for the future. As I've said on other threads, Delia and Michael have a lot of overall goodwill from our fans (and rightly so) for having looked after our beloved club for 23 years at a time where the financial imperatives of football have kept increasing exponentially. Webber and Farke have a lot of goodwill for having overseen a strategy - both on and off the field - that makes the club solvent, futureproofed and trying to play attractive, progressive football.

It is entirely possible that in 18 months' time we might be looking at a future without Delia and Michael, Farke or Webber; in that eventuality, the fans' goodwill won't be automatic. I still believe we'll have an excellent chance of promotion next season if we don't pull off a miracle escape; however, as excellent as this model looks now, if in a couple of years we're marooned in the Championship with no parachute payments on the horizon, a new and unknown Farke/Webber combo at the helm and Tom Smith 'in charge', it certainly won't have the same lustre.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Take 27,000 fans for granted with a complete lack of investment is a sad state of affairs. 

It would be if that were the case, which of course it isn't.

I think it was @LDC who said earlier that there are many forms of investment and he is spot on - the redevelopment of Colney being a prime example. An investment which will produce a much better return over the next few years than blowing millions on new players who will likely turn out to be no better (or even as good) as what we have already. We don't need to look at Fulham or the many other clubs that have tried and failed with that approach, we've done it ourselves in years gone by and we know how that ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

I have been shot down on this subject before, but I fear that post Brexit there will be no avenue to bring "unproven" talent in from the EU as freedom of movement is going way, and work visas will be based on criteria that will only allow established internationals.

Yes I thought about this and believe there will be more exceptions as it’ll go into some form of youth level development visa, football appears to get exemptions generally!

3 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

It would be if that were the case, which of course it isn't.

I think it was @LDC who said earlier that there are many forms of investment and he is spot on - the redevelopment of Colney being a prime example. An investment which will produce a much better return over the next few years than blowing millions on new players who will likely turn out to be no better (or even as good) as what we have already. We don't need to look at Fulham or the many other clubs that have tried and failed with that approach, we've done it ourselves in years gone by and we know how that ends.

Redevelopment of Conley paid for with a loan from the fans actually. 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So you didn't enjoy us winning trophies?

I did but I would still rather be playing the worlds best team week in week out.. as well as challenging for a European spot or having a decent cup run

Holding their own in the premier league for a few seasons and a cup final is what I would guess most clubs apart from the big 6 would see as successful, Stoke and Wigan spring to mind.Eventually relegation will come calling so make the most it.

23 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Redevelopment of Conley paid for with a loan from the fans actually. 

Loans have to be (and in this case already have been) repaid plus a good interest rate and a very generous bonus, so you can cut it any way you like but the club invested multi-millions into Colney, and as it happens the fans that took up the bond did very nicely out of it as well.

Another good example of the community minded and innovative approach of this board who are planning for long term success rather than the short term gratification that you are so keen on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pugin said:

I will explain as succinctly as I can:

I fell in love with NCFC one night in the early 1970's, listening on the radio to a latter stages League Cup game against Chelsea at a fog-shrouded Carrow Road. Affection for the club was embedded that night, and has never left me. Strange, but true.

I have lived well away from Norfolk all of the years since until moving to the city last year. During those years living away from Norwich I did work for another EFL club, some of it voluntary, never full-time, doing the things I love in and around football. 

Working inside football you soon get to see the underbelly - the good and the bad in roughly equal measure. At one time I used to think that I had decent contacts with every club in the League.

So, in 2017 I decided it was finally time to cut my ties elsewhere and to commit full time to following City, initially travelling the distance required and more recently as a resident of the city.

Now the rub. This is what I have found: the effort that the club puts into treating its supporters fairly and with respect is pretty much unmatched within the upper reaches of the pyramid. The integrity of the club is unmatched. The communication with fans is equally outstanding. The level of entertainment provided is impressive for the size of the club.

That's enough to be going on with, I think.

Nice.....a wee bit schmaltzy......but nice......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

An excellent reply. I think you are getting most of what you expect. But are you get the honesty really?  For me it questionable. I question the whole sticking to plan/model and the overachieving/ success can to early in the plan bit. Adapt! that surely the key if success comes early grab it by the horns don’t let it bolt out of the paddock and run off. 

It feels to me like the club are being honest with me - it really does.  They were very upfront before this season even began that they were going to be spending less than every other team in the Premier League this season. I know that not everybody is happy with that - but nobody can say that they weren't told in advance. (And reading your reply it seems to me that really you're accusing them of a lack of adaptability rather than a lack of honesty). 

53 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Nice.....a wee bit schmaltzy......but nice......

Haha. Schmaltzy is fine. I still do bits and pieces around the game. Last year I was a paid researcher for the Sunday / Daily Telegraph's most eminent reporter / columnist, working on a project that his US publishers have commisioned.

I love it all - simply wouldn't do it if I didn't. And it does provide perspective and background to everything that we see happening at Carrow Road, and it gives me access to some brilliant football people. 

Perspective is important in our situation.

I'm quite happy with where we are. I have no wish to "compete" in the Premier League on a long term basis if that means sacrificing  what this club means to its supporters and I don't think any established PL team has what we have. I think being a "yo-yo" team is actually the best we can be and certainly the most enjoyable - I will cherish 2018-19 as the best season I have seen since I started going regularly in 1965 and we wouldn't have that as an established PL team. Maybe 2020-21 will be even better.

I'd like to win a cup again - 1985 is a long time ago.

I don't care if we get relegated but I don't want us to be ridiculed. Mata said that we have "personality" and I think the wider football world agrees that we are a good team who plays good football, but that we are naïve and open. It's frustrating that we can't defend, but if that's the price for the football going forward then so be it. Rather that than watch Burnley or Palace. When you played with your mates no one wanted to be a full back.

The older I get the more I value the club and how it keeps friends and families together. Results matter, but not that much.

I trust our current management team more than any other we have had in my lifetime. They don't lie or try to mislead.

I am concerned that nephew Tom will have the necessary skill to keep it all going, but I am prepared to give him a chance.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'm quite happy with where we are. I have no wish to "compete" in the Premier League on a long term basis if that means sacrificing  what this club means to its supporters and I don't think any established PL team has what we have. I think being a "yo-yo" team is actually the best we can be and certainly the most enjoyable - I will cherish 2018-19 as the best season I have seen since I started going regularly in 1965 and we wouldn't have that as an established PL team. Maybe 2020-21 will be even better.

I don't care if we get relegated but I don't want us to be ridiculed. Mata said that we have "personality" and I think the wider football world agrees that we are a good team who plays good football, but that we are naïve and open. It's frustrating that we can't defend, but if that's the price for the football going forward then so be it. Rather that than watch Burnley or Palace. When you played with your mates no one wanted to be a full back.

The older I get the more I value the club and how it keeps friends and families together. Results matter, but not that much.

I trust our current management team more than any other we have had in my lifetime. They don't lie or try to mislead.

I am concerned that nephew Tom will have the necessary skill to keep it all going, but I am prepared to give him a chance.

Wonderful 🙂

Nail on head.

48 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

This, but could we please  compete in the Premier league leading to good results. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

👏👏👏 sgncfc ! I’ll just add this for myself .

I want to see us at an FA Cup final , and sing Abide With Me , with my two sons before I go . Slightly dramatic , sorry .

Edited by Pockthorpe

54 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Thank you for posting this👍

I'd also like to win the fa cup.

Took my son to Wembley in 1985, he was six.

2002 in Cardiff with my son and daughter.

2015 at Wembley with my son, daughter and two grandsons.

However many tkts am I gonna need for this fa cup final😕

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Loans have to be (and in this case already have been) repaid plus a good interest rate and a very generous bonus, so you can cut it any way you like but the club invested multi-millions into Colney, and as it happens the fans that took up the bond did very nicely out of it as well.

Another good example of the community minded and innovative approach of this board who are planning for long term success rather than the short term gratification that you are so keen on.

“Community minded”, the owners are skint and couldn’t afford to keep up with the times more like! 

18 minutes ago, Chumino said:

This, but could we please  compete in the Premier league leading to good results. 

Nephew Tom is not the answer to this 

I want Delia to sell up. She is holding this club back!

Nephew Tom should not even have a place on the board.

Webber needs to stay, I know it’s hard right now, but if he feels there’s aspirations within the club, other than “top 26”, he may stay.

I am enjoying the youth investment we are employing, will reap a lot of benefits. 

The squad needs more pace, that means spending money.

i want consistency in the premier league!

Open to external investment so we stand a chance of staying  in the prem. Can't say I have a great deal of faith in the owners anymore though I appreciate what they did in the early years. Handing it over to nephew doesn't exactly inspire me unless he is a bit more sensible with external investment.

Its all very well banging on about owners and investment. Not all of us are ever going to agree. Some yearn for the Chase days, others are appalled by the thought. Some want Jeff Bezos, others are happy with how we are.

All I can add is that we probably all raised an eyebrow abut the current owners when they took over. Yes, we thought, they have saved us but what does the future hold? How can a Cook run a football club? And financially they haven't been too brilliant. But in terms of success, it is an improvement from when they took over.

It is what it is  and the OP wasn't after an attack on anyone but just taking a straw poll of supporters realistic thoughts.

Personally, I think our thoughts have already turned to next season and whatever happens from now until May will be just trying to entertain.

✌
2 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

👏👏👏 sgncfc ! I’ll just add this for myself .

I want to see us at an FA Cup final , and sing Abide With Me , with my two sons before I go . Slightly dramatic , sorry .

Yep, great post by sgncfc. I'm also desperate to go to an FA Cup final with my dad and sing Abide With Me.

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I want Delia to sell up. She is holding this club back!

Nephew Tom should not even have a place on the board.

Webber needs to stay, I know it’s hard right now, but if he feels there’s aspirations within the club, other than “top 26”, he may stay.

I am enjoying the youth investment we are employing, will reap a lot of benefits. 

The squad needs more pace, that means spending money.

i want consistency in the premier league!

Yes please to all that.

• Like 1