Hardhouse44

What is it you realistically want, expect, and demand from your club

Its interesting to see the diverse levels of expectation and willingness of acceptance that we have across the message board regarding our current plight and future.

so without going on to much about the differences which have caused arguments aplenty recently what do you really want from the club what do you expect and what do you demand. 

For me it’s simple: I want us to be where I believe we belong as a established Premiership team.  

I expect competitiveness at which ever level we are at. For me we don’t have that at present. 

I demand that we make every effort to look for investment that will achieve parity with clubs I believe we should be in line with (Wolves, Sheff Utd, Brighton ect) and those efforts to do so should be clearly outlined and shown to the fans

I genuinely would like others opinions. And everyone opinion from all sides of all fences without fear of provocation. 

Edited by Hardhouse44

Norwich supporters aren't Stepford Wives and all have our opinions and there are probably two main areas of contention. Briefly, are we happy with what we are is one and the other is should we doing more?

I am happy with what happens. We wear the Y&G. We have a decent style of football. We have some cracking, valuable players. We will not be doing the same as Bury. We will have another season next year, probably back in the Championship. And we will have great moments of excitement and other moments of despair.

But we won't be Spurs or Arsenal supporters, who because of their demands for nothing but success, are savaging their club at the moment. 

• Like 2

Okay I'll try.

I expect to see us playing either in The Championship or The Premier League (not League 1).  I hope that we will become an established Premier League team (although I'm not quite sure what a realistic definition of 'established' is - 3 seasons? 5 seasons? forever? )

I expect to be entertained when I go and watch us play (that doesn't necessarily mean us winning the game). 

I expect the club to be open and honest with fans about what they are doing and what they are trying to achieve. 

I expect the club to be run in a way that doesn't endanger our future existence - e.g. by not spending recklessly in the pursuit of short term success. 

I expect the players on the pitch to show effort and commitment. 

• Like 10

I want everyone fans included giving their maximum for the success of the club in and off the pitch we are far away from that this season

i also want 10 pieces of scampi 🍤 in a portion it’s not much to ask really, is it! 

I expect our owners to help our professional football club to reach its potential and in potential I believe we are as big as Leicester, Brighton, Wolves, Burnley, Sheffield Utd and should be achieving as they are achieving.

I believe that current custodians have a duty to look and actively seek investment that sees us not fall further behind whilst continuing to scout for bargains and great buys such as Buendia.

I expect our club not to accept 2nd best as is currently the case

In expecting us to be a premier League club, I would expect the club to attract better players and invest more in its youth and communities.

I expect the club to be more than its celebrity owners.

I expect a Dad and his two kids not to have to pay £150 just to be in with a chance to buy away tickets.

I expect our club to update our facilities so they are fit for purpose.... Premier status makes this much easier.

I expect targets to be high (not Top 26) and I expect our employees to be at least committed to the long term rather than announcing they were off in about two years (if you are fine but keep it to yourself).

Most of all, being in the premiership I'd expect us to keep our great younger players longer...

OTBC

I simply want to feel everyone involved in the club is doing all they can to make us as successful as possible.

Over the years I've only had two or three occasions when I've felt this isn't the case with our owners- the hiring of Gunn, the hiring of Adams and maybe the hiring of Moxey.

I believe there are too many variables to often pin results on the pitch at the feet of our owners- for instance, it isn't their fault that RvW didn't work out, or that McNally and Neil lost their mind in the January window. 

Longer term though, I remain seriously unconvinced that handing over to their nephew fits this description.

• Like 1

Ideally competitive in the prem league but without the corporate feel of the majority of those clubs (& VAR).   The match day experience and atmosphere is far better below the prem - but I love seeing the best players,  and they are a step up in class from last year.

Being competitive is key and, while its a little underwhelming, a residency in the top 26 isnt an unreasonable aim. 

The tables in the link  (with the usual wiki style data accuracy health warnings)  highlights we have the poorest owners bar Luton and the relative miniscule size of our finances to draw upon compared to the top 44 clubs in the country.  20+ clubs backed by billionaires across both leagues amply demonstrates that weatlhy backers of any nationality doesnt guarantee success (incl those down the road). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

• Like 1

I would like us to be an established Premier League club; fiscally sound with long-term security. I want my children and grandchildren to have a similar level of expectation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Its interesting to see the diverse levels of expectation and willingness of acceptance that we have across the message board regarding our current plight and future.

so without going on to much about the differences which have caused arguments aplenty recently what do you really want from the club what do you expect and what do you demand. 

For me it’s simple: I want us to be where I believe we belong as a established Premiership team.  

I expect competitiveness at which ever level we are at. For me we don’t have that at present. 

I demand that we make every effort to look for investment that will achieve parity with clubs I believe we should be in line with (Wolves, Sheff Utd, Brighton ect) and those efforts to do so should be clearly outlined and shown to the fans

I genuinely would like others opinions. And everyone opinion from all sides of all fences without fear of provocation. 

Where do you get this idea that we should be an established Premiership team? The amount of times I bring this up and no-one really has an answer? Are we one of the top 8 clubs in the country? Is our support in the top 8 clubs in the country? Is the size or history of our club in the top 8 clubs of the country? 

The answer is no to all of those - and it's only the top 8 in the prem that you can really call 'established'.

For me, overall i've really enjoyed the ride of being a Norwich fan over the last 10 years. Certainly, the strong majority of similarly-sized clubs look at us with envy - none moreso than the £10 note-waving fans down the road. 

Do I think we could give the prem a better go with owners who have more money? Probably, if everything else was even. But rich new owners likely would have never employed Webber who would have never employed Farke. Maybe things would have been better? I don't know.

I look at us as a club our size and think whilst there's room for improvement we're generally above where most people (outside of NCFC) believe we should be. So the risk of new ownership is a difficult one at this stage. Had we been languishing for 8 years in the championship with no sniff of the play-offs then the risk of ownership change would have seemed more reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Where do you get this idea that we should be an established Premiership team? The amount of times I bring this up and no-one really has an answer? Are we one of the top 8 clubs in the country? Is our support in the top 8 clubs in the country? Is the size or history of our club in the top 8 clubs of the country? 

The answer is no to all of those - and it's only the top 8 in the prem that you can really call 'established'.

This is all true but it does bug me that many other teams have managed a longer stay in the top flight than us.

Wigan, Stoke, Southampton, Leicester, West Brom,  Swansea, Birmingham, Palace, all these clubs have managed to stick it out in the top flight for an extended period. I do wonder why we find it so difficult.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

For me, overall i've really enjoyed the ride of being a Norwich fan over the last 10 years. Certainly, the strong majority of similarly-sized clubs look at us with envy - none moreso than the £10 note-waving fans down the road. 

Do I think we could give the prem a better go with owners who have more money? Probably, if everything else was even. But rich new owners likely would have never employed Webber who would have never employed Farke. Maybe things would have been better? I don't know.

I look at us as a club our size and think whilst there's room for improvement we're generally above where most people (outside of NCFC) believe we should be. So the risk of new ownership is a difficult one at this stage. Had we been languishing for 8 years in the championship with no sniff of the play-offs then the risk of ownership change would have seemed more reasonable.

Which is why I put that in my wants not expects. I want an established premiership status and believe we could achieve that with our history our set up and our fan base. I didn’t say I expect it or demand it. However under a different regime who knows maybe we could achieve it and more. Yes the counter argument will always be maybe we won’t and better the devil you know. But we are after all a business and businesses progress and evolve and even take risks!

Where does it say we have to be top 26... Do you think Leicester fans wish they were self funded and back in the 2nd Division. It's a competitive sport not a registered charity. No one ever said we should not try to be competing in the premiership.. our owners wish to remain in control dictates it.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is all true but it does bug me that many other teams have managed a longer stay in the top flight than us.

Wigan, Stoke, Southampton, Leicester, West Brom,  Swansea, Birmingham, Palace, all these clubs have managed to stick it out in the top flight for an extended period. I do wonder why we find it so difficult.

Yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to try and maintain premier league status even under our current ownership and model for the longer than we have recently. 

Bournemouth have given the prem a real good go in terms of financial investment and playing squad yet they're now in trouble this season. 

In an ideal world i'd like us to be a prem team that has a good 5 year stint and at some point are so comfortable at half-way through the season that we can give something like the FA Cup full attention to try and win something. 

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Cash flow mainly but also appalling decision making. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Okay I'll try.

I expect to see us playing either in The Championship or The Premier League (not League 1).  I hope that we will become an established Premier League team (although I'm not quite sure what a realistic definition of 'established' is - 3 seasons? 5 seasons? forever? )

I expect to be entertained when I go and watch us play (that doesn't necessarily mean us winning the game). 

I expect the club to be open and honest with fans about what they are doing and what they are trying to achieve. 

I expect the club to be run in a way that doesn't endanger our future existence - e.g. by not spending recklessly in the pursuit of short term success. 

An excellent reply. I think you are getting most of what you expect. But are you get the honesty really?  For me it questionable. I question the whole sticking to plan/model and the overachieving/ success can to early in the plan bit. Adapt! that surely the key if success comes early grab it by the horns don’t let it bolt out of the paddock and run off. 

If we'd have stayed up in 2014 we wouldn't have had Wembley in 2015. If we'd stayed up in 2016. We wouldn't have won the championship in 2019. So no silverware to celebrate but we get see man utd instead...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I want everyone fans included giving their maximum for the success of the club in and off the pitch we are far away from that this season

i also want 10 pieces of scampi 🍤 in a portion it’s not much to ask really, is it! 

I would have thought you would want to be sure your scampi is "whole tail" rather than "formed".......

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

No doubt that was all part of the owners plan 🤣😂😆

So you didn't enjoy us winning trophies?

I cannot think of a single area where the club is failing to provide me with the 'product' which I expect.

Last season was fantastic. This season is disappointing. There is not a club in world that does not have disappointing seasons. Not one.

The club has integrity, two-way respect, it provides a great environment for us all. It strives to succeed within its means. It is open and exceptionally approachable. It is always looking to improve.l

I really don't ask for much more than this.

Would I like Delia and Michael to be 500 times more wealthy? Possibly, but not if it spoiled the fantastic club we have.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I cannot think of a single area where the club is failing to provide me with the 'product' which I expect.

Last season was fantastic. This season is disappointing. There is not a club in world that does not have disappointing seasons. Not one.

The club has integrity, two-way respect, it provides a great environment for us all. It strives to succeed within its means. It is open and exceptionally approachable. It is always looking to improve.l

I really don't ask for much more than this.

Would I like Delia and Michael to be 500 times more wealthy? Possibly, but not if it spoiled the fantastic club we have.

That’s and interesting reply and one I wholeheartedly respect. With that in mind and with not slight out slur intended regardless of your answer can I ask. Do you attend the games are you a season ticket holder for example. 

Im keen to get an idea as to what motivation you have for such an answer. 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Okay I'll try.

Agreed.

I would add that I would expect the club to continue to develop young talent. We have shown that it is possible and how beneficial it is. 

• Like 1

For me it is simple, I want to be entertained and enjoy the football being offered. 

I have no problem with the goal of remaining one of the top 26 clubs in the country, that reflects our resources. 

I commend the recent improvement in atmosphere enabled by supporters and backed up by the club. 

I would like to see firm plans to upgrade the Carrow Rd to allow more supporters to see the team.

I never want to see us wear anything other than yellow and green unless we absolutely have to. 

I would like to know what the business plan is after Delia steps down, as she must fairly soon. 

• Like 2

Sensible approach by investing into the first team, not buying journeymen with zero commitment to our club. Young hungry type players and quality youth players to build on.

Build the stadium upto the capacity it deserves to be, needs to be, 32,000 and keep on top of the clubs facilities, it’s no good trying to invest every penny into the squad if the facilities aren’t up to standard.

Imperative to keep Cat 1 to ensure we keep building on our young success, increase the scouting network into Eastern Europe to get young players like Duda into our youth set up, there are quality cheap potentially great players out there technically gifted made for our system under a Farke.

5 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

That’s and interesting reply and one I wholeheartedly respect. With that in mind and with not slight out slur intended regardless of your answer can I ask. Do you attend the games are you a season ticket holder for example. 

Im keen to get an idea as to what motivation you have for such an answer. 

I will explain as succinctly as I can:

I fell in love with NCFC one night in the early 1970's, listening on the radio to a latter stages League Cup game against Chelsea at a fog-shrouded Carrow Road. Affection for the club was embedded that night, and has never left me. Strange, but true.

I have lived well away from Norfolk all of the years since until moving to the city last year. During those years living away from Norwich I did work for another EFL club, some of it voluntary, never full-time, doing the things I love in and around football. 

Working inside football you soon get to see the underbelly - the good and the bad in roughly equal measure. At one time I used to think that I had decent contacts with every club in the League.

So, in 2017 I decided it was finally time to cut my ties elsewhere and to commit full time to following City, initially travelling the distance required and more recently as a resident of the city.

Now the rub. This is what I have found: the effort that the club puts into treating its supporters fairly and with respect is pretty much unmatched within the upper reaches of the pyramid. The integrity of the club is unmatched. The communication with fans is equally outstanding. The level of entertainment provided is impressive for the size of the club.

That's enough to be going on with, I think.

• Like 6

Another bit - no, I am not a season ticket holder. I missed the deadline and actually don't know if I was eligible. It has cost me blood, sweat and tears, and a ton of money, to see virtally every game home and away this season.

• Like 1

As an exile who only goes to a few matches, I would like to see the club - and I include all fans in that - always try to pull together, whatever the circumstances, good or bad. We have seen so many ups and downs - it's actually been a fantastic ride over the years - so I want to see everyone recognising what a great situation we are in. We are currently in the best financial situation perhaps ever in the club's history - and I want that maintained, not thrown away in the pursuit of some fairy land that may or may not exist.

Ambition has many forms and the current direction of the club is up - even if we are relegated - and we have a remarkably good set up to take us forwards. The future is secure financially, the pathways for young players is there to the first team - and the quality of ownership is there too. Not in financial terms of course, but as is always said, there is more to it than just money. 

So I want that the policy of self-sustaining status is maintained with a gradual build up of resources, culminating in a better chance of doing well if we are in the PL, whether it's next season or in seasons to come.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

All I want is for City to put up a good fight. I'm realistic enough to know City will never finish in the top 8 of the premiership. That's the reality of modern football. 

• Like 1