Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Why we will be relegated

It is the fans who want open, attacking football and the spineless board listens to them. It is so ironic that we were so much better at this level when the owner bounced fans around instead of listening to their views.

9 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

We're an attacking team that doesn't score enough goals.

This is part of the problem,  with not enough goals from outside of Pukki & Cantwell part of the issue,  hopefully Duda can improve that and add to defending from the front.   

Only 1 of the 4 teams to have scored fewer than us are in the relegation places (Bournemouth) with two of them in mid-table - mainly because we have conceded +10 goals more than all of them.

Improving the back 7, especially their physicality, while maintaining the ball playing capability remains our biggest need  

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Timm Klose does not need upgrading. 

He does he hasn’t been fit for most of the season at that age where he will get more and more injuries 

Why?

This picture tells you all you need to know.

10 City players in our box versus 2 United players and yet Martial gets a free header.

Zonal (un)marking, that has been our biggest problem

snapshot.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

We're an attacking team that doesn't score enough goals.

If the plan was to play a free flowing attacking game, where we sacrifice solidity at the back for attacking movement - you have to score more than 1 goal a game on average. Especially when you give a goal away from set-pieces every other game.

This is the crux for me, far too many chances spurned.

It’s between this and our lack of CB cover which will be the main reason we go down in my eyes.

We have played some top quality football at times this season, particularly over the last month or so (barring Saturday) but we can’t score the goals to close out games.

Even world class defences are under pressure trying to hold onto 1 goal leads for majority of games.

Edited by Monty13

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's amazing how Lakey gets a hard time yet Bootsie gets a free pass....

It's a fair comment. He's basically started the same thread saying the same thing after most of our recent losses. Doesn't quite have the amount of history to go with it as Lakey does mind, but it's the same boring principle.

players having the drive to win the ball and poor communication is the issue with this goal,  not zonal marking.    Martials movement was hardly electric yet hanley gets under the ball by being in the wrong area.   I know kenny has not been great at the front post (replaced by trybull post leicester) but hanley is in the wrongplace.   it is the players decision making and capability that is lacking.

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

This is the crux for me, far too many chances spurned.

It’s between this and our lack of CB cover which will be the main reason we go down in my eyes.

We have played some top quality football at times this season, particularly over the last month or so (barring yesterday) but we can’t score the goals to close out games.

Even world class defences are under pressure trying to hold onto 1 goal leads for majority of games.

December was a really painful month.

Arguably the best football I have ever seen us play in the premier league (I'm a young-un) - but really poor results due to our inability to convert chances and have games out of sight.

Pukki has been superb this season, but has been poor since the Leicester game (probably due to carrying an injury). This is where the huge frustration from our lack of depth comes from. I will cheer any player wearing Norwich colours, but I knew deep down that Dennis Srbeny was not going to come on and score the chances Pukki was missing.

Edited by HertsCanary93

That picture does indeed tell the whole story - 8 United players unmarked; 8 Norwich players marking space. Delia out.

5 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

December was a really painful month.

Arguably the best football I have ever seen us play in the premier league (I'm a young-un) - but really poor results due to our inability to convert chances and out away agmes.

Pukki has been superb this season, but has been poor since the Leicester game (probably due to carrying an injury). This is where the huge frustration from our lack of depth comes from. I will cheer any player wearing Norwich colours, but I knew deep down that Dennis Srbeny was not going to come on and score the chances Pukki was missing.

Agree with this, for me this was the most frustrating thing, we were outplaying teams but lacked the options to kill them off.

We are really lacking the Rhodes like figure to throw on from last year. I truly believe now he would have been a good acquisition in the summer considering what we ended up with, but we penny pinched and lost the chance to pick up a decent 3rd choice, who wanted to be here, for already relatively cheap.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's amazing how Lakey gets a hard time yet Bootsie gets a free pass....

Lakey just likes taking the opposite position. Hence predicting we'd finish in the top 4 this season, yet in the final six games of last season he was the most pessimistic on the board, so it's hard to take him seriously. Lake District Contrary.

DCB will crawl back under his rock once we start winning again.

We don't learn quick enough.

I guarantee 100% that we would have more points without the injury crisis, but with less than 150 PL appearances in the squad (and staff) starting this season we don't adapt quick enough.

I believe the attitude within the club is that this season is a free hit, we didn't expect to be here, and you can see that at times in the players. None of them are that worried about getting relegated, having secured good contracts or knowing they'll be sold.

After Saturday I am also cynical about our 'style of play' story; why are we still going to places like OT and playing like we expect to outshoot them? I think ultimately it's a business plan, and with our attacking reputation none of our best assets are damaged by our losses- but a Max Aarons assist for a Todd Cantwell goal against Man U would add value to any eventual sales.

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

So, in summary then.

We don't score enough goals and we let too many in

Yeah in layman's terms that's the exact crux of it......But unfortunately, you need to give a more arrogant 'right you people, I'm talking now' tedious and convoluted pseudo-intellectual reason behind our inability to win or grind out a decent result......I say, look at the league tables, last season and this season, and especially in the.....'Goals against column'......A gargantuan tale of the blatantly obvious......

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

Lakey just likes taking the opposite position. Hence predicting we'd finish in the top 4 this season, yet in the final six games of last season he was the most pessimistic on the board, so it's hard to take him seriously. Lake District Contrary.

DCB will crawl back under his rock once we start winning again.

Yes but Lakey takes part in other threads too. Bootsie never posts on a thread unless it's one he started. And starts numerous threads on subjects that already have threads.

It's pure attention seeking and doesn't bother me except lakey gets a hard time and bootsie doesn't.

Edited by nutty nigel

We have troubles at both ends of the pitch. Finishing is a problem. The Spurs game and the Palace game both saw us missing very good chances. It’s been the same in other matches. Instead of winning we’ve drawn. We’ve only played badly in a couple of games all season.

Defensively we give fouls in very bad areas, are weak in the air plus we are poor at stopping crossing. 

Some of our defensive issues stem from our midfield play but a lot stems from nativity. The nativity is easy to fix. Provided our young players learn. 

Missing goal scoring opportunities and making individual errors in defence has resulted in the points total we have. I’m sure we can improve in the second half of the season.

1 minute ago, Bonzo said:

We have troubles at both ends of the pitch. Finishing is a problem. The Spurs game and the Palace game both saw us missing very good chances. It’s been the same in other matches. Instead of winning we’ve drawn. We’ve only played badly in a couple of games all season.

Defensively we give fouls in very bad areas, are weak in the air plus we are poor at stopping crossing. 

Some of our defensive issues stem from our midfield play but a lot stems from nativity. The nativity is easy to fix. Provided our young players learn. 

Missing goal scoring opportunities and making individual errors in defence has resulted in the points total we have. I’m sure we can improve in the second half of the season.

Nativity can cause defensive problems, I'm sure....🤣

As I’ve played football at CB at Anglian Combination level many years ago, we played zonal marking, the point of zonal marking is to attack the ball coming across or obstruct any player coming into your area......if you just stand and watch you never defend very well. Liverpool play zonal marking and keep clean sheets. It’s getting the players to attack the ball and players coming into the box.

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Nativity can cause defensive problems, I'm sure....🤣

Do we need a new manger?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Why?

This picture tells you all you need to know.

10 City players in our box versus 2 United players and yet Martial gets a free header.

Zonal (un)marking, that has been our biggest problem

snapshot.jpg

This isn’t zonal marking this is chasing the ball like an amateur team, six players ahead of the near post. That’s laughable.

9 hours ago, Making Plans said:

So, in summary then.

We don't score enough goals and we let too many in

I honestly haven’t a clue what they do in training all week but it clearly isn’t happening 

I’m not trying to be blind to the position we are in or be ridiculously optimistic but I genuinely think we’ve not be a million miles away this season. It was clear that the premier was always going to be a huge challenge and I think the injury crisis early in the season stopped us dead in our tracks. We really needed to be able to play on our momentum and in effect we weren’t able to do that, the loss of Klose really hurt too as we lost a genuine leader. Further to this, we have a very young team, 4/5 players at 21 or below, really difficult to drop these boys who have been brilliant in getting us up but they are learning their trade in the hardest league in the world. Sheff Utd by comparison have an experienced core that has played together and they look a well drilled unit. They did spend some money but that was on trying to sharpen their attack which has worked for them. Our transfer business in hindsight hasn’t worked, Amadou, Roberts, Drmic haven’t made the difference we needed them too and Stipermann/leitner haven’t been able to make the step up. its frustrating as it would be great to see this team evolve overtime but we will have to prepare for a future without 3 or 4 of them.

notwithstanding this, we do still have a good core of a team and we should, with the transfer fees received for Pukki, Buendia, prob Aaron’s, maybe Godfrey and Cantwell then we should be able to have a reasonable tilt at getting back up again but landing players like buendia again will be hard. I think as a fan, I’ll trust the model and hope as always we bounce back. 

Buendia will stay as he hasn't scored a single goal yet. If he gets about 8 in the rest of the season he'll be worth something.... 

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Buendia will stay as he hasn't scored a single goal yet. If he gets about 8 in the rest of the season he'll be worth something.... 

He’s created more chances than any other player in the PL other than De Bruyne. There’s  Very little chance that he will be playing his football in the championship next season

49 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I honestly haven’t a clue what they do in training all week but it clearly isn’t happening 

Woss gorn on in traynunn Nail?

I've missed you on Canary Call, Jobsworth.

15 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

In the premiership defence is more important than attack. Unless you are top six you have to shut up shop and only then work on scoring goals - boring but true. And hence why so many bottom sides play negative football.

That is exactly right, except its not just the bottom sides that play negative football its pretty much all the teams outside the top six which is one of the main reasons (though not the only one) that the Premiership is so lacking in interest and entertainment.

Personally I'd far rather watch decent entertaining football in the Champs than the dull tripe than is routinely served up in the Prem, and that was before VAR entirely sucked the remaining life out of the live football experience. Next season can't come soon enough IMO.