Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The Great Escape mini-league

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I honestly think it is possible. Leicester did an impossible return from bottom of the table a few years ago and went on to win the league the following season. We have some great players imo and a great way of playing and a great coach.  

We should roll the dice. Put Pukki and Duda in for Ida and McLean and beat Bournemouth. Then we'd have momentum. 

Leave those two out and draw or lose and we know it's over.

Oh and break out last years shirts ..... Simples. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

We should roll the dice. Put Pukki and Duda in for Ida and McLean and beat Bournemouth. Then we'd have momentum. 

Leave those two out and draw or lose and we know it's over.

Oh and break out last years shirts ..... Simples. 

Hope Pukki is fully fit, but if not Idah deserves the chance to play at home and with Duds, Cantwell and Buendia behind him, might just get that first league goal and a win.

That’s a scary three there, if they weren’t City players we’d be saying wish we had that three behind our striker......BEUNDIA, DUDA & CANTWELL.

Edited by Indy

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but I go into every game believing we will win, then again I believe I’ll win the Euromillions every time it hit a 100 million! 😂 

haha...as has been mentioned many times on here "it's the hope that kills you"... I believed we could win on Saturday too , but after watching 5 mins of the game , I knew this was impossible tbh

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think this thread is a great representation of why LDC is so tiring to so many.

Makes a wildly ridiculous statement (we'll finish top 4). Chastises others for being negative for predicting a relegation battle. Claims he is outlandish prediction is no more outlandish than those predicting a tough season despite being presented with evidence to the contrary. 

Just nonsense really.

Not how I read that thread to be honest KC

people were asked to make predictions, he’s made an outlandish prediction that while admittedly extremely unlikely to happen wouldn’t have been looking a million miles out if made on the Sheffield United forum. You’ve then called it ridiculous  and he’s responded to it. In fact his first response includes this..

We have nothing to fear and after all, what is the worst that can happen?  We could get relegated - and that would not be a disaster, so next season ought to be a celebration of football for our club, to enjoy it - and with an attitude like that anything can happen.  So 4th might be pie in the sky....but then again it might not be. 

I’m honeslty not sure what the problem is. His prediction is clearly going to be massively wrong.. but so what?

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think this thread is a great representation of why LDC is so tiring to so many.

Makes a wildly ridiculous statement (we'll finish top 4). Chastises others for being negative for predicting a relegation battle. Claims he is outlandish prediction is no more outlandish than those predicting a tough season despite being presented with evidence to the contrary. 

Just nonsense really.

I challenge you to point to one single post in that thread where I chastised anyone. I've had a quick look and every single post I wrote in that thread was respectful to people. 

As for top four being ridiculous, Sheff Utd aren't far off it - and with a bit more luck with injuries, we might have maintained our momentum better from last season and been much further up the table at this stage.  

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I challenge you to point to one single post in that thread where I chastised anyone. I've had a quick look and every single post I wrote in that thread was respectful to people. 

As for top four being ridiculous, Sheff Utd aren't far off it - and with a bit more luck with injuries, we might have maintained our momentum better from last season and been much further up the table at this stage.  

To be fair to LDC, he predicted we might finish 4th, but if you turn the league table upside down we’re actually top ☺️😀👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

Not how I read that thread to be honest KC

people were asked to make predictions, he’s made an outlandish prediction that while admittedly extremely unlikely to happen wouldn’t have been looking a million miles out if made on the Sheffield United forum. You’ve then called it ridiculous  and he’s responded to it. In fact his first response includes this..

We have nothing to fear and after all, what is the worst that can happen?  We could get relegated - and that would not be a disaster, so next season ought to be a celebration of football for our club, to enjoy it - and with an attitude like that anything can happen.  So 4th might be pie in the sky....but then again it might not be. 

I’m honeslty not sure what the problem is. His prediction is clearly going to be massively wrong.. but so what?

Maybe it is just me but it is the lack of willingness to engage with a bit of reason or logic in these things. 

His prediction very clearly went against all rational evidence. This is his prerogative but at least acknowledge it- don't claim your prediction is just as likely as those predicting 17th when it clearly isn't. 

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That's fair enough LDC, I don't like this pointing the finger ... but I disagreed with you ... without spending some sort of money on a few players I couldn' t see us staving away from a relegation battle. The last thing I'm going to do is gloat about being right . 

I think we are all very disappointed about the way the season has gone. I don't believe anything else to be true from a NCFC supporter's point of view. I'm counting on a Championship season next one up , but that doesn't mean it can't be an enjoyable season and I won't have that much trouble getting an away ticket compared to this season...I hope... 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

It was a stream of about six posts, all abusive, followed by a poster effectively saying "keep it up lads, we've almost got him".

Come on Lakey, get over yourself. The 'abuse' was coming from various different posters, it's not like there was an orchestrated campaign of 'bullying' against you. We've been through this so many times, and it usually ends with you engaging your rational brain and making a bit of an effort to dial back the lectures a little bit. 

I've stated more than once on this thread, for balance, that I have agreed with a bunch of stuff you've said, I've 'liked' plenty of your posts, and I've even fought your corner when I think you're getting unfair criticism.

I know you'll never leave the board, but for everyone's sake just try to dial it back a bit, yeah? And sorry you didn't get to the game on Saturday, but by all accounts it was probably a good one to miss...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I know you'll never leave the board

Maybe not the board as such, but the VAR thing has really set me back on whether I want to watch such injustice being perpetrated on football and if I want to follow it in future if it carries on like it is. 

There is so much stuff that could be improved on the pitch quite easily with stricter reffing - simply book a player if he approaches a ref to remonstrate with him - cheating - goalies unable to ever dive at attacker's feet because the attacker will just use it as an excuse to get a penalty - I think our last two penalties against were soft, with the attackers simply falling over at the slightest touch. An extra two linesmen so both sides of the pitch can be covered easily throughout the game and linesmen that actually took reponsibility to make decisions too.

VAR is just poisonous and insipid and has not made any improvements on the game at all imo - and is destroying match expereience for fans. It will be that and cheating players and players that try to influence the refs by surrounding them that will stop me from following football....I can take stick on here....most of the time 😉

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe not the board as such, but the VAR thing has really set me back on whether I want to watch such injustice being perpetrated on football and if I want to follow it in future if it carries on like it is. 

There is so much stuff that could be improved on the pitch quite easily with stricter reffing - simply book a player if he approaches a ref to remonstrate with him - cheating - goalies unable to ever dive at attacker's feet because the attacker will just use it as an excuse to get a penalty - I think our last two penalties against were soft, with the attackers simply falling over at the slightest touch. An extra two linesmen so both sides of the pitch can be covered easily throughout the game and linesmen that actually took reponsibility to make decisions too.

VAR is just poisonous and insipid and has not made any improvements on the game at all imo - and is destroying match expereience for fans. It will be that and cheating players and players that try to influence the refs by surrounding them that will stop me from following football....I can take stick on here....most of the time 😉

There we go... Lakey in good PR mode 🙂

If they introduce VAR to the Championship next season (in the likely - but not inevitable - event of our relegation), I'll be closer to the end of my rope than ever before. My 'FCK VAR' T-shirt from Along Come Norwich should be arriving in the post tomorrow.

I could save myself an awful lot of money and get fit and healthy by going back to refereeing on a Saturday afternoon, or going to watch Norwich Rugby instead (which is free, and 10 minutes' walk from my house). I love this club and I always will, but football itself is becoming more of a bloated and diseased animal with every passing season.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

There we go... Lakey in good PR mode 🙂

If they introduce VAR to the Championship next season (in the likely - but not inevitable - event of our relegation), I'll be closer to the end of my rope than ever before. My 'FCK VAR' T-shirt from Along Come Norwich should be arriving in the post tomorrow.

I could save myself an awful lot of money and get fit and healthy by going back to refereeing on a Saturday afternoon, or going to watch Norwich Rugby instead (which is free, and 10 minutes' walk from my house). I love this club and I always will, but football itself is becoming more of a bloated and diseased animal with every passing season.

I was in favour and I still believe used for the right decisions and not offside, but for potential hand balls, diving and major wrong decisions then great, but there’s a new set of fairytale regulations made up by the Premier League to justify technology that’s not there........

Accidentally handling the ball by a defender is ok but accidentally handling the ball by an attacker isn’t! How and who came up with that gem.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

I was in favour and I still believe used for the right decisions and not offside, but for potential hand balls, diving and major wrong decisions then great, but there’s a new set of fairytale regulations made up by the Premier League to justify technology that’s not there........

Accidentally handling the ball by a defender is ok but accidentally handling the ball by an attacker isn’t! How and who came up with that gem.

I also went in in favour and can't believe how much of a cluster **** it has been. 

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I also went in in favour and can't believe how much of a cluster **** it has been. 

Reality is offside calls back to Lino, three challenges for each team to be thrown at the time of the event. Or just throw it out completely but I can’t see that happening, but it’s killing the game as a spectator sport.

By the way since when has accidental handball not been an indirect free kick? Surely if deliberate yes but accidental should be no worse than a indirect free kick or has this gone out of football now?

I was in favour, and still am in principle but it's not being used in accordance with the advice given by the International Football Association Board-i.e. only to correct clear and obvious errors.

• Like 2

Indeed mr Angry, having watched the World club final recently which Liverpool won, there the games had VAR and the referee went to look at anything clear and obvious, worked a damn site better.

28 minutes ago, Indy said:

Reality is offside calls back to Lino, three challenges for each team to be thrown at the time of the event. Or just throw it out completely but I can’t see that happening, but it’s killing the game as a spectator sport.

By the way since when has accidental handball not been an indirect free kick? Surely if deliberate yes but accidental should be no worse than a indirect free kick or has this gone out of football now?

If you remember, 'obstruction' used to be an indirect free-kick too. They've phased them out of the game with the exception of offsides and backpasses.

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

If you remember, 'obstruction' used to be an indirect free-kick too. They've phased them out of the game with the exception of offsides and backpasses.

I really can’t see why, indirect free kicks would stop absolutely stupid penalties being awarded, still give the attacking team the advantage but not an unfair advantage! Bring back indirect free kicks.....get rid of VAR.

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed mr Angry, having watched the World club final recently which Liverpool won, there the games had VAR and the referee went to look at anything clear and obvious, worked a damn site better.

Oh yes, I forgot that's how they use it in the other major leagues in Europe. Who made the decision that our refs wouldn't do this-was it the PL or was it the PGMOL?

I have felt that Watford would be safe, but having just seen this on the BBC website, it just screams one thing to me... injuries. They could be right back in it, that’s an insane fixture pileup.

48635744-D03C-41B4-99A7-0B1DBA778CF5.png

LDC, in the words of Daniel Farke "Ignore the noise".

Love the optimism, though like myself perhaps we're too often consumed by blind optimism through the trials and tribulations that is football. That said, I predict us to reach 33 points (history saying that is not enough) going into our final game. With Man City having already nailed down second spot, and having to play the FA Cup final and Champions League final in the following two weeks post-season, perhaps playing a fringe team and opening up a stronger chance for the win - taking us to 36 points and scraping survival by the barest of margins!

Furthermore, in the "mini-league" we have 4 home games and 1 away game left. Plus home games against Everton and Southampton to come. Start taking points from those around us and we're in with a shout. It can't be underestimated just how important this weekend is.

WE ARE STAYING UP!!!

(my word I hope this ages well...) 

I disagree on most things with LDC.. but he seems a decent fellow & supports City so he is cool with me... as for Thirsty... only jessing 😃

After today's games: I think this is correct-when I first tried this on Monday I think I included some results against Southampton by mistake.

Home                     Away                     Total

Played    Points     Played   Points    Played   Points

Brighton                    5               9              2             3             7            12

Burnley                      3               6             4              8             7            14

West Ham                2               6             5              6             7             12

Watford                    5               4             2              6             7             10  

Aston Villa               5               8             4              7             9             15

Bournemouth          4              2             5              4              9               6

Norwich                   3              3             5              1              8               4

All well and good, but the mini league is now a more practical one than just those teams that are playing each other. It is simply a question of week by week how we catch them up and today we took a big - if laboured - step towards the pack.  Currently, two points gained on 17th place.  Huge result today for us. OTBC.

We finally have the win we've been threatening, but we ended up clinging on at home to the team second from bottom, despite having an extra man for a large chunk of the game. But three points is three points, and Duda looks a promising acquisition. Trouble is, until our good-looking run of fixtures in March, we don't have two easier-looking games back to back. Away to Spurs, then Newcastle... then Liverpool, Wolves and Leicester. Because of where we are, not only do we need to keep winning the 'mini-league' games, but we need to pick up points in unlikely places too - hopefully starting at Tottenham.

We're in with a squeak.

I’m hoping this win results in some better performances on par with Everton and Man City, inject something confidence into the team. Duda looks a good signing and hopefully 3 points yesterday has settled some nerves.

On 13/01/2020 at 15:14, king canary said:

Maybe it is just me but it is the lack of willingness to engage with a bit of reason or logic in these things. 

His prediction very clearly went against all rational evidence. This is his prerogative but at least acknowledge it- don't claim your prediction is just as likely as those predicting 17th when it clearly isn't. 

If it's reason and logic you're after then this board, and football in general, are not the places to find them!!

I think the other results went about as well as could be expected today, those teams drawing means our win has seen us claw 3 and 2 points back effectively on the clubs nearest us. If Burnley lose to Leicester tomorrow then that will be perfect. Can’t say Spurs have been particularly good of late, so let’s hope, god willing, that we get 3 points there. If that were the case and other results in midweek go our way in the main, then things could get very interesting indeed.

Well Burnley did themselves some good today, so here we are -

14. Burnley 27

15. Brighton 25

16. West Ham 23

17. Watford 23

18. Villa 22

19. Bn'mth 20

20. Norwich 17

Big week this because in midweek it's -

Villa v Watford

Bournemouth v Brighton

Leicester v West Ham

So I guess we want home wins for Villa, Bn'mth and Leicester to keep the teams above us within reach. In that scenario and if we somehow manage to get three points ourselves, we would be three points from 17th place.

15. Brighton    25

16. Villa            25

17. West Ham 23

18. Watford     23

19. Bnmouth   23 

20. Norwich    20

Yes, I know its all ifs and buts, but you never know - football is a funny old game.....