Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

*IF* we go down...

... it looks like Villa and Bournemouth are the strongest candidates to accompany us. I’d be reasonably happy with that, Villa will be in all sorts of doodoo with FFP and while Bournemouth might adapt, I could seem them struggling. Howe might well be tempted elsewhere.

Is there another likely candidate you would rather see as a rival in the Championship next year?

• Like 1

No picks especially but I see very little at this exact point in time if Leeds and West Brom go up that I feel especially worried about. Yet, we all know the Championship is a difficult league. One that we have got out of lots of times though 😉

Personally I think the bottom 3 are sorted now. Bournemouth are nearly as bad as us and Villa don't have a striker.

As much as I dislike Leeds I'd like to see them up with WBA and Swansea. 

If Leeds mess it up this season, their fans will go mental! How funny would it be if they did indeed stay in the championship, that would make my season other than a great escape by City.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Indy said:

If Leeds mess it up this season, their fans will go mental! How funny would it be if they did indeed stay in the championship, that would make my season other than a great escape by City.

.... and they'll lose Bielsa. 

WE WILL STAY UP Sunderland and Newcastle done it and were a lot waste then we are at this stage 

Edited by Skyrider
  • Like 1

Agree that Bournemouth might struggle if they come down. I wonder if Howe would have the motivation for a campaign or two in the championship. Must be disheartening to spend years trying to establish in the prem, think you’re in a place where you can hopefully build to maybe even European places or a cup win in a season or two, and then go down.

If he leaves, really depends on who they bring in, but I think the disruption would put them back a couple of years.

We have to keep Farke if we're to have any chance of an instant return. This is his squad, how is another manager going to come in and motivate this lot? If Farke left we'd need another complete rebuild. 

That should be our main concern. I just really hope that Webber and Farke are on the same page this season when it comes to transfer business and our financial strategy. There doesn't appear to be any bad blood but who really knows. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skyrider said:

WE WILL STAY UP Sunderland and Newcastle done it and were a lot waste then we are at this stage 

Is that actually true? I mean, in terms of the points deficit with this many games played? I've got a feeling it isn't and that we'd need to do something that no team has done before? 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We have to keep Farke if we're to have any chance of an instant return. This is his squad, how is another manager going to come in and motivate this lot? If Farke left we'd need another complete rebuild. 

That should be our main concern. I just really hope that Webber and Farke are on the same page this season when it comes to transfer business and our financial strategy. There doesn't appear to be any bad blood but who really knows. 

Surely the key point of the new structure (or the “model” as that seems to be the fashionable way to describe it) is that it is bigger than any one person. We should be able to swap parts out without major disruption. Granted, Farke is probably the most important part of it, but if his replacement is any good, they should be up to working with an existing squad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skyrider said:

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is that actually true? I mean, in terms of the points deficit with this many games played? I've got a feeling it isn't and that we'd need to do something that no team has done before? 

Just had a look and in that Sunderland great escape season they did only have 18 points after 22 games (we have 14), but they weren't bottom, were only 1 point away from 17th and only 6 points away from 10th! 

We are 8 points away from 17th and 14 points away from 10th. 

What year was the Newcastle season? 

I'd love to see West Ham go down, but if / when we do drop, I suggest it will be Villa and Bournemouth that go with us.

Both of these could implode so it will be us plus one other surprise team - Boro maybe - for the autos and another massive scramble for the playoffs. 

Edited by Surfer

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Surely the key point of the new structure (or the “model” as that seems to be the fashionable way to describe it) is that it is bigger than any one person. We should be able to swap parts out without major disruption. Granted, Farke is probably the most important part of it, but if his replacement is any good, they should be up to working with an existing squad.

The new manager would have to be German and have very similar philosophies to Farke I feel. 

How do you do about finding somebody similar to a manager that people on here believe to be special? 

Quite a few players at the club knew Farke before arriving, Leitner, Stiepermann, Zimmermann, for a start. It does help a manager to have allies in the dressing room.

A new manager would probably need to bring in a few of his own players but that could upset the apple cart. 

I just hope he stays really, I'm not sure there is some sort of limitless German conveyor belt... Of coaches or cheap players.

I'd be seriously worried if he left. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I'd love to see West Ham go down, but if / when we do drop, I suggest it will be Villa and Bournemouth that go with us.

Both of these could implode so it will be us plus one other surprise team - Boro maybe - for the autos and another massive scramble for the playoffs. 

You seen Brentford play recently? If we go down I want them going up because they look class. 

Clearly a really well run club and possibly the next small club to go a Bournemouth. 

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The new manager would have to be German and have very similar philosophies to Farke I feel. 

How do you do about finding somebody similar to a manager that people on here believe to be special? 

Quite a few players at the club knew Farke before arriving, Leitner, Stiepermann, Zimmermann, for a start. It does help a manager to have allies in the dressing room.

A new manager would probably need to bring in a few of his own players but that could upset the apple cart. 

I just hope he stays really, I'm not sure there is some sort of limitless German conveyor belt... Of coaches or cheap players.

I'd be seriously worried if he left. 

Start at Dortmund? That does seem to be page 1 in the Webber playbook.

Bournemouth are pretty much Hughton-era Norwich Mk2, their rich owner just buying them an extra season.

Smaller less established side that came up and stuck with the majority of that core side. Added for a few years until they tried to evolve and start lobbing big fees around like a real PL team and it's come to a stuttering halt.

No reason to think they wouldn't have a similar first year back as we did.

Word on the street down here is that Eddie Howe was asked to resign on Sunday night.

The last thing we want this week is a new manager bounce, but I really do think we’re a better side than them and will prove it on Saturday 🤞

Edited by Alex Moss

8 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Somebody should start a thread called “ when “ we go down

Yeah. This forum could do with a negative, whinyassed thread. Maybe someone should mention finances and funding as well. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Go on then....

🙃

Just saying ! Still think we’ve got a chance, depends on Sat, lose and it looks a long way back

13 hours ago, Aggy said:

Agree that Bournemouth might struggle if they come down. I wonder if Howe would have the motivation for a campaign or two in the championship. Must be disheartening to spend years trying to establish in the prem, think you’re in a place where you can hopefully build to maybe even European places or a cup win in a season or two, and then go down.

If he leaves, really depends on who they bring in, but I think the disruption would put them back a couple of years.

I think Bournemouth would be another Wigan. They're not a big club and they've been punching well above their weight for the last five years- just look at their ground for Christ's sake.

After their relegation, I said that Wigan would hit League One before they return to the Premier League and I'll sat the same about Bournemouth.

12 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You seen Brentford play recently? If we go down I want them going up because they look class. 

Clearly a really well run club and possibly the next small club to go a Bournemouth. 

I saw the Brentford game at the weekend and I was highly impressed. 

On 13/01/2020 at 07:20, Skyrider said:

Beat Bournemouth in the next game and who knows.  I'm still not giving up......

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think Bournemouth would be another Wigan. They're not a big club and they've been punching well above their weight for the last five years- just look at their ground for Christ's sake.

After their relegation, I said that Wigan would hit League One before they return to the Premier League and I'll sat the same about Bournemouth.

I saw the Brentford game at the weekend and I was highly impressed. 

Indeed,  Brentford are a wonderful footballing team with our philosophy and with their new stadium next season I wish them well. 

21 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Just saying ! Still think we’ve got a chance, depends on Sat, lose and it looks a long way back

I'm going to stick my neck out (again) and say that the Liverpool game will be the game that decides whether we are going to give ourselves a chance or not. I think we might get a point or two in the next three games with a tense home game and two difficult away games - but that Liverpool match is going to be something else. Win that and all of a sudden we will look as if we have a chance - much like the Man Utd home game where we won 2-0 against the odds in 2004. Pie on the sky? Maybe, but we have pedigree in that we beat Man City at CR already. There is still everything to play for.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aren’t a Bmouth in a similar position to Villa, in respect of ffp rules and pending punishment -avoided by PLpromotion- or did I just imagine that?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'm going to stick my neck out (again) and say that the Liverpool game will be the game that decides whether we are going to give ourselves a chance or not. I think we might get a point or two in the next three games with a tense home game and two difficult away games - but that Liverpool match is going to be something else. Win that and all of a sudden we will look as if we have a chance - much like the Man Utd home game where we won 2-0 against the odds in 2004. Pie on the sky? Maybe, but we have pedigree in that we beat Man City at CR already. There is still everything to play for.

I certainly think there's a whole host of games (i.e every single other game) that will determine our fate much more than Liverpool.