Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

*IF* we go down...

I think our home games are going to determine our fate.  We have Bournemouth, Liverpool, Leicester, Southampton, Everton, Brighton, West Ham and Burnley.  Realistically we need to win 6 of those 8.  I accept that we've only won 3 all season and haven't done well against teams around us, but if we can just get a win and some belief back, who knows.  Away games look grim - Spurs, Newcastle, Wolves, Sheff U, Arsenal, Watford, Chelsea, Man City. 5 of the 8 look like defeats to me.  

I think we are dead and buried but i will admit that if we could beat Bournemouth and then get a surprise result at Spurs or Wolves then it could make life interesting. I think we can get something against Newcastle and if we could somehow get ourselves back within striking range our last 5 home games are all games that you would say offer opportunities for points. 

Its a very, very long shot and I think we would need 2 wins out of the next 3 to have a chance.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

I certainly think there's a whole host of games (i.e every single other game) that will determine our fate much more than Liverpool.

We obviously need to win what would be a large amount of games in the time remaining - but we will probably need a trigger or some inspiration from somewhere and if we beat Bnmth and then lose to Newcastle and Spurs away, the Liverpool game could give us that. We could win those three games taking us into the Liverpool game and it would still be a huge game for us in terms of getting points. Even if we lost that game, the performance is important too, to help us have belief in following games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Aren’t a Bmouth in a similar position to Villa, in respect of ffp rules and pending punishment -avoided by PLpromotion- or did I just imagine that?

No they're not really. They paid a fine of £4.75 million to settle their outstanding FFP case a few years back. 

http://priceoffootball.com/bournemouth-2016-17-and-ffp-fine-every-breath-you-take/

• Thanks 1

I think even if we beat Bournemouth and get a a result against Wolves or Spurs, Villa have Brighton then Watford, then after that they have Bournemouth and Southampton, they could well win a few points the same for a rejuvenated Watford, we’re three games behind and the reality is we need to get to 34 points minimum, 7 wins to stand any chance of staying up.

7 points from the next 6 would be a big improvement on where we are now and that would need to be carried on to then end of the season. Duda might be an improvement but even Ronaldo would find it hard to get enough wins to stay up.

Bournemouth might actually be the one team I think stand a good chance of coming straight back. Teams like West Ham and Villa I think would have a massive shock and take time to adjust again.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I'm going to stick my neck out (again) and say that the Liverpool game will be the game that decides whether we are going to give ourselves a chance or not. I think we might get a point or two in the next three games with a tense home game and two difficult away games - but that Liverpool match is going to be something else. Win that and all of a sudden we will look as if we have a chance - much like the Man Utd home game where we won 2-0 against the odds in 2004. Pie on the sky? Maybe, but we have pedigree in that we beat Man City at CR already. There is still everything to play for.

To be fair LDC, by the time they play us their record could be 33 wins and 1 draw in their last 34 prem games. If we manage to beat them, it might well give us the confidence to stay up... chances of it happening are pretty slim though!

5 hours ago, Woodman said:

I think our home games are going to determine our fate.  We have Bournemouth, Liverpool, Leicester, Southampton, Everton, Brighton, West Ham and Burnley.  Realistically we need to win 6 of those 8.  I accept that we've only won 3 all season and haven't done well against teams around us, but if we can just get a win and some belief back, who knows.  Away games look grim - Spurs, Newcastle, Wolves, Sheff U, Arsenal, Watford, Chelsea, Man City. 5 of the 8 look like defeats to me.  

This has been my take Woodman with wins at Sheff United & Watford or Newcastle. But with only 3 wins to date it looks tenuous doesn't it.