Sign in to follow this  
zema abbey football genius

Jordan Rhodes

Do we think bringing Rhodes in would give the club a ‘lift’ though?

Clearly very well liked by the players, highly thought of by the management, has a great attitude and is a fans favourite (well, amongst most anyway).

Football is largely about confidence and having this guy at the club, could improve the mood. I’m sure everyone within the club would see him as a much better option from the bench than what Dennis was, which could give the players more belief when things aren’t going our way.  Possibly Farke’s use of subs has been restricted as he doesn’t think he has the right options.

We’ve not come back from a losing position at any stage this season and haven’t really looked like doing so, to be fair.  Last season we did this countless times as the belief was that we were able to do so.  Rhodes coming on was always a big part of that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ec-p said:

I’m really still bemused by us not getting the Rhodes deal done in the summer. I know Wednesday wanted more than we were prepared to pay but just how much did they ask? Couple of million maybe? Surely we could’ve risked that for a player that was settled here, a good influence etc, happy to play second fiddle to Pukki and  still scoring a few goals. Not saying we wouldn’t have been in the same league position but just may have turned a couple those draws into wins and given us a fighting chance.

It was quoted at the time as being £5m. I think we expected them to move when it became obvious no body would pay that as they needed to clear his wages off the bill but once they had dug in they were then left with him. If they had asked for £1m he would already be a City player.

for what it is worth I think he would be  good signing if you can get the wages right. He will score goals in the Championship and is a cost effective back up option for what we have now. He was content to be involved from the bench and din't make the disruptive noises others have. The problem with signing an immediate first choice contender is that they don't often like waiting for long periods to play and with Pukki's form this year and last they would certainly have had to. There is always a need in a squad for players who are not regular starters but are happy to come on and do a job when called on.

• Like 1

On paper bringing in Drmic instead looked a good idea, but he's never clicked with the other players on the pitch in the few chances he's had, and his injury record was always a risk.  Having Rhodes to bring on as a sub who can fit straight in with the other players and our style of play, and will get you goals would have been even more valuable this season than last season, because we've needed it so regularly and that was completely predictable. Realistically he'll have no resale value but it would have been worth it if we'd bargained sensibly with Wednesday.  It would still be worth it now at a sensible price.

• Like 1