Sign in to follow this  
zema abbey football genius

Jordan Rhodes

With 6 months left on his contract at Sheff Wednesday and the lack of fit strikers available atm, surely we might as well offer Weds a few mill and get him in NOW? 

I know at 29 (30 in Feb) he’s not exactly one for the future, but would be a useful addition for next season...whichever  league we’re in.

12 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

With 6 months left on his contract at Sheff Wednesday and the lack of fit strikers available atm, surely we might as well offer Weds a few mill and get him in NOW? 

I know at 29 (30 in Feb) he’s not exactly one for the future, but would be a useful addition for next season...whichever  league we’re in.

I think SW have a one year option on him  too, so if they want to keep him, or bump up price they could activate.  Agree that hed be useful in the Champs,  but also feel if we in the champs, it's the ideal place to give idah more game time. Hope Pukki stays of course, that may be out of our control  if he has a good euro  championship   after performing well in a not very strong premier side. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 minute ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

The verbal diarrhoea that comes from you it just never stops. Do you not have a life outside of this message board

haven’t you a proddie family next door you can harass? 

Sorry Jobbo,  nearest neighbours are  500 metres  away as the swallow* flies...... and it's my daughter and her husband. 

* see what I did there. 

Much love and peace WCC x

Interesting snippet from a pinkun article:

The Sheffield Star report on Thursday Wigan tabled a 'derisory loan fee and only offered to pay a small proportion of Rhodes' salary' which was rejected by the Yorkshire outfit.

Rather like the lady's indignant refusal when propositioned for a pound, but who responds differently when a million pounds is mentioned, could it be a question of finding the right price?  🙂  

On 12/01/2020 at 16:41, wcorkcanary said:

I think SW have a one year option on him  too, so if they want to keep him, or bump up price they could activate.  Agree that hed be useful in the Champs,  but also feel if we in the champs, it's the ideal place to give idah more game time. Hope Pukki stays of course, that may be out of our control  if he has a good euro  championship   after performing well in a not very strong premier side. 

Let not get to carried away with the Idah game time thing. Yes he scored a hattrick against Preston reserves but he has mile to go before he’s a first team regular capable of leading the front line in a team pushing for promotion back to the premiership. This is a big part of our problem we put to much faith in people at this club too early and on very little evidence. We’re a professional “Top 26” team who will need a proven goal scorer at  a level equal to that which we are in. 

• Like 2

Unless we establish ourselves in the PL he'll be a NCFC player again at some point, didn't he buy a house here?. If we're in the Championship when his one year option runs out would be most likely. He could play at that level until he's 34/35 given the type of player he is so I'd definitely take him on a free. I'd be surprised if it isn't his plan to let his lucrative contract run down then sign for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyboard Worrier said:

Might be worth having a chat with Wroxham...they've got a half-decent striker apparently...might be able to do a job for us...:classic_rolleyes:

In budget? 

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Let not get to carried away with the Idah game time thing. Yes he scored a hattrick against Preston reserves but he has mile to go before he’s a first team regular capable of leading the front line in a team pushing for promotion back to the premiership. This is a big part of our problem we put to much faith in people at this club too early and on very little evidence. We’re a professional “Top 26” team who will need a proven goal scorer at  a level equal to that which we are in. 

Not carried away.  Just don't  see why a lad who has  done pretty well at every step up since he was 14 shouldnt be part of a championship  squad. Having been involved in youth player  development  for ten years over  here , I know there is much work to do on idah     My  badly made point was that if the club sees his long term future  with us ( which I accept they may not) then his development would be  better served with him  playing a part in the system  he will be expected to play in as he matures .  Very  few  league  one teams play our kind of footy .  

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:
1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Not carried away.  Just don't  see why a lad who has  done pretty well at every step up since he was 14 shouldnt be part of a championship  squad. Having been involved in youth player  development  for ten years over  here , I know there is much work to do on idah     My  badly made point was that if the club sees his long term future  with us ( which I accept they may not) then his development would be  better served with him  playing a part in the system  he will be expected to play in as he matures .  Very  few  league  one teams play our kind of footy .  

Never mind the championship, let's not forget he is already part of a premier league squad. 

What he did against Preston was excellent by any standards - but when I watched him against Man Utd, he didn't make the kind of runs he did in that cup game, which was a little disappointing, but it does probably show he was a little inhibited by the occasion.

But - now that he has had his PL debut as a starter, he can build from there and develop. If he comes on or even starts against Bnmth, we will imo see a player more like he was against Preston.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Never mind the championship, let's not forget he is already part of a premier league squad. 

What he did against Preston was excellent by any standards - but when I watched him against Man Utd, he didn't make the kind of runs he did in that cup game, which was a little disappointing, but it does probably show he was a little inhibited by the occasion.

But - now that he has had his PL debut as a starter, he can build from there and develop. If he comes on or even starts against Bnmth, we will imo see a player more like he was against Preston.

We shouldn't  try to make a virtue  out of necessity,  if we had any other striker fit v manure,  I dont think idah plays,  he did ok, a couple of nice touches,  but largely isolated.  It only highlights  how  valuable Pukki is to us, even when we are outclassed, Pukki gives defences something to think about.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We shouldn't  try to make a virtue  out of necessity,  if we had any other striker fit v manure,  I dont think idah plays,  he did ok, a couple of nice touches,  but largely isolated.  It only highlights  how  valuable Pukki is to us, even when we are outclassed, Pukki gives defences something to think about.

My point was really that Idah will give defences something to think about - it's just that his first appearance, as you say - out of necessity - was in a game where Utd overpowered us as a team and I think even Pukki would have struggled to make any kind of impact on the day. 

I’m really still bemused by us not getting the Rhodes deal done in the summer. I know Wednesday wanted more than we were prepared to pay but just how much did they ask? Couple of million maybe? Surely we could’ve risked that for a player that was settled here, a good influence etc, happy to play second fiddle to Pukki and  still scoring a few goals. Not saying we wouldn’t have been in the same league position but just may have turned a couple those draws into wins and given us a fighting chance.

You’d think £2/3m and it would’ve been a no brainer. Not sure what Weds we’re after but having to play half a season with Dennis as more or less our only back up to Pukki, was very silly.

Edited by Clint

On 12/01/2020 at 16:30, zema abbey football genius said:

Our plan in my view is to wait and get him on a free at the end of the season.

On 12/01/2020 at 17:09, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

A 56 year old Dean Coney could do more than Drmic at the mo. We could get him on a free as well...

OTBC

What has Drmic done wrong? He's a quality player. 

Makes no sense to critisize someone for being injured. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

We need to give him every chance to prove that he's capable of doing that, though. Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell (and to a lesser extent Godfrey) came through with no first-team experience or track record, but hit the ground running and did superbly well. Not suggesting he should be starting matches, but next season I'd definitely expect him to be in the matchday squad if we're in the Championship.

I don't think Rhodes would have been any use to us whatsoever this season. Assuming we're relegated then I would like him back, make very possible effort to keep Pukki, get in Dwight Gayle and Idah as another option and job done.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't think Rhodes would have been any use to us whatsoever this season. Assuming we're relegated then I would like him back, make very possible effort to keep Pukki, get in Dwight Gayle and Idah as another option and job done.

I think he would. He wouldn't have scored many, maybe 3 or 4, but they could have been crucial.

He'd have been a better, more effective option than Dennis (hallowed be his name). He's got the class & the guile to be effective in the EPL.

The obsession with Rhodes needs to die.

He's a Championship squad player at this point and would make zero impact in the top division.

It was the manner of his goals that impressed me most last season. Quality. And a brilliant attitude.

If he's cheap enough, say 2-3 million all in, then he's got excellent bangs-per-buck. potential .

There are obviously far better strikers out there, but a) they're going to cost a fortune & b) they won't want to come.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

The obsession with Rhodes needs to die.

He's a Championship squad player at this point and would make zero impact in the top division.

Exactly. He didn't make the grade in the Premier League a few years back when he was at his peak, following four excellent seasons in the Championship (91 in 179). His Championship goalscoring record has been on the decline in the past three years (17 goals in 98 games) so I can't see how he'd make the step up all of a sudden.

He's the new Dani Pacheco or Harrison Reed: a half-decent loan spell and he's the solution to every problem for the next two years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I’d take Gayle over Rhodes if they were the same price...but they’re not.