Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Farke getting off lightly

1 minute ago, Since 1980 said:

You only need to look at Villa to see spending money doesn't buy/guarantee league position. 

Let's assume we go down and Villa do this season. They have £140m spent and face FFP issues and we build for a new campaign. Which set of fans are happier?

13 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

You only need to look at Villa to see spending money doesn't buy/guarantee league position. 

How many times does this asinine point have to get made?

Nobody thinks it guarantees anything. It has to be spent well. But spending next to nothing seems to guarantee something....

3 hours ago, Keith Scott said:

Got to say Farke has been a massive disappointment this season. All the vitriol for another embarrassing Premier league campaign seems to be going towards the owners. Which of course i understand as our owners are, and always will be tinpot. But everybody should know by now that these owners will never back managers. However I still feel Farke should be getting more out of the team. His tactics, in game management and possibly man management have all left a hell of a lot to be desired this season. I saw someone suggest Farke is a better manager than Wilder on another thread but for lack of backing. I'm afraid that's absolutely ludicrous. Wilder has adapted to the Premier league incredibly well. He is flexible, tactically sound, can change a game and has that fiery determination which is reflected in his players. I don't think based on this season Farke has shown any of those qualities which is a shame. Maybe he's not the messiah after all? 

Anyway, all the best. Keith Scott. 

I wouldn’t disagree KS, but yesterday, whilst at old trafford watching, and after listening  to him post match and watching his body language during the game, I honestly believe that Farke is far from happy and that he might be thinking he can do no more with this crop of players (who buy the way we’re just awful yesterday - apart from Cantwell.) It must be very galling to any manager in knowing that the best of the talent you have is very likely to be sold off, so in essence you have to start again.! I just feel that it is the reason why his qualities don’t shine through at thleast s time. He knows there was is no money, and he also knows historically at Norwich after the euphoria of a promotion has passed, which it has for many, he is just another manager et al Alex Neil who will be moved on if a poor start to next season in the championship prevails. It’s a vicious circle, he is a long way from home and his comfort zone, with German clubs apparently circling for him. I got the feeling yesterday’s demise was the last straw. Has he already started to break up the squad was a question I asked myself when Srbeny was allowed to leave when we had one fit striker in Idaho! When sports reporters tweet that it seemed players had “downed tools” at Manchester, I can only agree with that having been there, then something is seriously wrong.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Nobody thinks it guarantees anything. It has to be spent well. But spending next to nothing seems to guarantee something....

Do you think Aston Villa set out with the intention of not spending it wisely? Or maybe Bournemouth who have had a net spend of £75 million over the last two seasons. Buying footballers is an inexact science. There are never any guarantees. 

1 hour ago, Rhino1 said:

Get real look back and say who has been a better manager for us over the last 50 years? Be careful what you wish for and get a reality check!!! 

I can only go back to 86 but Brown, Stringer and Walker all achieved more than Farke. As did Lambert...

Farke is a very good manager, who I don't want to leave whatever happens this season, but let's not pretend he's Jesus.

OTBC

13 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

They spent more money than us and spent it more wisely. 

OTBC

There’s another who should be arrested for high treason. Off to the tower young man.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I have a feeling he might move on in the summer. What else could he possibly achieve under the conditions at this club ? 

Hopefully he can see the potential that has been built through investment in our academy in recent years and will want to see that come to fruition. Also, he can see how level-headed the majority of fans are, as well as the board, and will repay us for our loyalty by staying on to take us up again next season.  What he has achieved here in a short time is fantastic and 99% of fans know and honestly appreciate this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

They spent more money than us and spent it more wisely. 

OTBC

Not sure they have?...spent wisely that is...their team is still largely the one that they were promoted with last season....most of their signings are warming the bench

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not sure they have?...spent wisely that is...their team is still largely the one that they were promoted with last season....most of their signings are warming the bench

The facts don't back that up - McBurnie, Mousset, Henderson and Robinson have all played quite a few games this season; McBurnie scored their winner Friday.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

7 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

The facts don't back that up - McBurnie, Mousset, Henderson and Robinson have all played quite a few games this season; McBurnie scored their winner Friday.

OTBC

Henderson?....he was their keeper all last season ..and they still dont own him

Robinson bit part...Moussett and McBurnie alternate

Farke is still a young coach and this is his first time at this level. He was always going to have some struggles and is open to critique as is anyone. There are certainly some concerns for me around his game management and squad management but what he clearly brings to the table far outweigh those concerns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Imagine being able to alternate strikers! The mind boggles!!!

OTBC

Or we could spend £140 million like Aston Villa and start a game with absolutely no strikers like they have today...................

1 hour ago, Since 1980 said:

That's true, although they do have 50% more points than us and remember that as we went up as Champions and they were play-off winners, they would theoretically have had to have spent more than us to bridge the gap in quality. 

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Or we could spend £140 million like Aston Villa and start a game with absolutely no strikers like they have today...................

Not sure what that has to do with Sheffield Utd...but ok!  Villa's spending is insane, no doubt about it.

OTBC

7 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Not sure what that has to do with Sheffield Utd...but ok!  Villa's spending is insane, no doubt about it.

OTBC

It was the strikers point I was making really Disco. Just listening to the Radio 5 Live commentary and they were talking about how Villa are playing with no recognised striker. 

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Ran out of reactions today but I was thinking the same!

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was the strikers point I was making really Disco. Just listening to the Radio 5 Live commentary and they were talking about how Villa are playing with no recognised striker. 

Sorry TL - you make a valid point about the money they've spend and yet they don't appear to even have one good striker!

I see Man City are currently tearing them a new one!

OTBC

And Wesley (and Joelinton @ Newcastle)....have not ripped up many trees have they.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Do you think Aston Villa set out with the intention of not spending it wisely? Or maybe Bournemouth who have had a net spend of £75 million over the last two seasons. Buying footballers is an inexact science. There are never any guarantees. 

That is my exact point. Nobody thinks spending guarantees anything but we are pretty certain not spending guarantees something...

Edited by king canary

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s another who should be arrested for high treason. Off to the tower young man.

My card's been marked by now. I was probably put down as an 'unsure' on the list but now I'll be a 'full bin-ner'.

I say it as I see it. I generally try not to get too high or too low about our lovely club's progress during the season (best for my state of mind tbh) but the stats of our season don't lie unfortunately. I wish they did but they don't. And it's sh1t. 😥

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is my exact point. Nobody thinks spending guarantees anything but we are pretty certain not spending guarantees something...

To be fair some people said exactly that last season.

Farke has shown a complete inability to prevent us freely shipping goals, and yet, ironically, three of our regular young defenders, Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis are collectively valued at close to £90m!

I would still like to see Farke trying three at the back to give more freedom to Aarons and Lewis further up th pitch, but Farke seems reluctant to try anything different.

It shouldn’t be underestimated how much defensiv3 injuries have played thei4 part this season.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair some people said exactly that last season.

I'd wager we spent more last season that we did this season.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We spent next to nothing & won the Championship.

9 minutes ago, unique said:

Farke has shown a complete inability to prevent us freely shipping goals, and yet, ironically, three of our regular young defenders, Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis are collectively valued at close to £90m!

I would still like to see Farke trying three at the back to give more freedom to Aarons and Lewis further up th pitch, but Farke seems reluctant to try anything different.

It shouldn’t be underestimated how much defensiv3 injuries have played thei4 part this season.

Exactly, and that gets zero recognition from the pundits, just as the return of Troy Deeney after long-term injury for Watford does not either.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd wager we spent more last season that we did this season.

I think just our wage bill this season will drastically demolish our transfer fees and wages combined last season.

Farke has been thrown under a bus and deserves a free hit this season. I'm not sure the fans will be as forgiving next season if we can't beat Championship teams.

Can't say I agree with the timing of some of his substitutions but I doubt they would have changed the results.