Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
pete

A dearth of strikers

Recommended Posts

Idah only back up available for missing Pukki.  Not for the first season City have relied on sparse striking talent and that ended in the same way.  Will we ever learn this lesson an experienced journeyman who keeps fit wouldn't go amiss remember Wilbraham.

Shocking way to run a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most prem teams will have 3/4 forwards of varying degrees of ability but all deemed to be capable. I doubt any other team will go to Old Trafford this season being forced to give a debut to an 18 year old forward and no cover on the bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then subbing him off to sure things up at 3-0 down with 25 minutes lefts, moving to a 3-7-0 formation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chumino said:

Poor summer recruitment. Again. 

In hindsight our recruitment has been sh*t for an entire year now, last January we signed Heise and he barely kicked a ball. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In hindsight our recruitment has been sh*t for an entire year now, last January we signed Heise and he barely kicked a ball. 

er...... Byram. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

er...... Byram. 

Your point? 

One swallow does not a summer make. 

Still, just the 2.5 years left on Heise's contract, and I suppose Drmic could come good at some stage over the remaining 2.5 years of his :classic_rolleyes:

Amadou doesn't look much cop does he. 

Ralf Farhmann has not been listed as one of our injured players for some time now, he's fit, yet he's been kept out of the 18 by Michael McGovern :classic_blink: (yes, back in it yesterday, but point still applies). 

The reality is that we've failed to strengthen the squad, yet alone the first XI. 

Its all good signing loan players with an option to buy, but all three loan signings appear to have been failed. Amadou is at best bang average, Ralf and Roberts struggled to get into the matchday squad.

Drmic shown glimpses of promise but he can't stay fit, meaning we'd have been better off with Rhodes. 

How can that be anything other than poor recruitment? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Your point? 

One swallow does not a summer make. 

Still, just the 2.5 years left on Heise's contract, and I suppose Drmic could come good at some stage over the remaining 2.5 years of his :classic_rolleyes:

Amadou doesn't look much cop does he. 

Ralf Farhmann has not been listed as one of our injured players for some time now, he's fit, yet he's been kept out of the 18 by Michael McGovern :classic_blink: (yes, back in it yesterday, but point still applies). 

The reality is that we've failed to strengthen the squad, yet alone the first XI. 

Its all good signing loan players with an option to buy, but all three loan signings appear to have been failed. Amadou is at best bang average, Ralf and Roberts struggled to get into the matchday squad.

Drmic shown glimpses of promise but he can't stay fit, meaning we'd have been better off with Rhodes. 

How can that be anything other than poor recruitment? 

We've been through all this before TVB. The increase in value on Byram alone probably covers the amount spent on the others. Meanwhile ambitious Newcastle spent £40 million on Joelinton (plus a shed load in wages no doubt). Joelinton has got as many Premier League goals this season as Alex Tettey and Kenny McLean. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We've been through all this before TVB. The increase in value on Byram alone probably covers the amount spent on the others. Meanwhile ambitious Newcastle spent £40 million on Joelinton (plus a shed load in wages no doubt). Joelinton has got as many Premier League goals this season as Alex Tettey and Kenny McLean. 

Newcastle wasting money is completely irrelevant to our summer transfer business, though. The fact that only one of our summer signings has been able to get regular game time means that I agree with TVB. Our summer recruitment, with the benefit of hindsight, wasn't very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In hindsight our recruitment has been sh*t for an entire year now, last January we signed Heise and he barely kicked a ball. 

Whilst I would agree with last summers transfer dealings being poor, its a bit harsh to include January in that.....we didnt need anyone then, and thats how it panned out by winning the league?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Newcastle wasting money is completely irrelevant to our summer transfer business, though. The fact that only one of our summer signings has been able to get regular game time means that I agree with TVB. Our summer recruitment, with the benefit of hindsight, wasn't very good.

Well yeah, but no but..............

Our club doesn't exist in a vacuum and they are a club operating in the same league as us and it goes to show how difficult it can be to spend money well in the Premier League. (And if our summer recruitment 'wasn't very good' are there words of sufficient strength in the English language to express just how bad their's was?) 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Webber we are told is an absolute star and our owners are brilliant...yet time and time again we are told that investment is not the answer... so you can not have any faith in them to operate in the industry of their choosing. Using other teams as an example must mean you think they are equally inept....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Webber we are told is an absolute star and our owners are brilliant...yet time and time again we are told that investment is not the answer... so you can not have any faith in them to operate in the industry of their choosing. Using other teams as an example must mean you think they are equally inept....

I imagine that twisted piece of anti-logic makes sense in your head......... I'd take Webber who brought in Pukki on a free against the clown(s) at Newcastle who brought in Joelinton for £40 million any day of the week. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I imagine that twisted piece of anti-logic makes sense in your head......... I'd take Webber who brought in Pukki on a free against the clown(s) at Newcastle who brought in Joelinton for £40 million any day of the week. 

Ah more playground insults..... You are not getting what I am saying. Good players cost money, if Webber is as good as you think he is, its not a risk backing him with a decent amount of investment. It's his job. It's nonsensical to bring up other clubs failings to justify us being adrift at the foot of the table. Looking forward to your adult reply 😂😂😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say, I was a little baffled that Srbeny was allowed to leave when he was.  Couldn't we have kept hold of him for a fortnight until Pukki was given all clear?

Don't think it would have mattered either way regarding result, I was just shocked at the cavalier attitude to having 1 fit striker with only 2 senior appearances available to go to old trafford.

I think my main complaint this season is the recruitment.  Whether that's through our obvious lack of finances or us just targeting the wrong players with our available budget (Roberts, Fahrmann, Amadou?), we'll never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

I must say, I was a little baffled that Srbeny was allowed to leave when he was.  Couldn't we have kept hold of him for a fortnight until Pukki was given all clear?

Don't think it would have mattered either way regarding result, I was just shocked at the cavalier attitude to having 1 fit striker with only 2 senior appearances available to go to old trafford.

I think my main complaint this season is the recruitment.  Whether that's through our obvious lack of finances or us just targeting the wrong players with our available budget (Roberts, Fahrmann, Amadou?), we'll never know.

Our recruitment last summer was a disaster. Not really a topic anyone can disagree with.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Ah more playground insults..... You are not getting what I am saying. Good players cost money, if Webber is as good as you think he is, its not a risk backing him with a decent amount of investment. It's his job. It's nonsensical to bring up other clubs failings to justify us being adrift at the foot of the table. Looking forward to your adult reply 😂😂😂

 

Bad players can cost money too - see Joelinton/Ricky Van Wolfswinkel/Steven Naismith etc, etc, etc. 

Good players don't always cost money either (at least in transfer fees) - see Teemu Pukki or Emi Buendia picked up for a song. 

I bring up other clubs as context - Newcastle are operating in the same industry and same League as us. 

As I've said on another thread signing football players is an inexact science.

The board, Stuart Webber, Daniel Farke were all very up front at the beginning of this season that we would be spending very little money this season by Premier League standards. They have also been absolutely crystal clear that they see their job at the club as a long term one. Given all this it just seems weird to me that people are now turning round and moaning that we haven't spent a lot of money this season. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All well and good spending very little money by premier league standards Thirsty but we’ve spent very little money by championship standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem goes back long before Webber and to be fair he has inherited a backlog of a number of city signing being a complete waste of money.  We should now be building a side round the youngsters and be at least a mid-table Premiership side. The financial problems with NCFC have gone back donkey years and for a side that plays to full houses every season someone needs to sort out the mess this club gets into on a regular basis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

long term or two years in Webber's world. We are moaning and did in the summer due to the unacceptable level of strengthening to the side and it's obvious issues... Defending being one. I find it weird any fan of the club would be happy a drift at the bottom of the league and not competitive.... Still no one can tell me what success looks like with this long term plan and how long it is.. Bourne out of necessity and not sure me brilliant plan in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Ah more playground insults..... You are not getting what I am saying. Good players cost money, if Webber is as good as you think he is, its not a risk backing him with a decent amount of investment. It's his job. It's nonsensical to bring up other clubs failings to justify us being adrift at the foot of the table. Looking forward to your adult reply 😂😂😂

 

What playgrounds did you go to where "twisted piece of anti-logic" was an insult???

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clint said:

All well and good spending very little money by premier league standards Thirsty but we’ve spent very little money by championship standards.

League one standard maybe ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daly said:

Problem goes back long before Webber and to be fair he has inherited a backlog of a number of city signing being a complete waste of money.  We should now be building a side round the youngsters and be at least a mid-table Premiership side. The financial problems with NCFC have gone back donkey years and for a side that plays to full houses every season someone needs to sort out the mess this club gets into on a regular basis

Explain that bit to me - why exactly should we be a mid-table side? Isn't that at least as true about Bournemouth, Watford etc? Not to mention Stoke and WBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

League one standard maybe ? 

So we are outperforming, which is a good thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Bad players can cost money too - see Joelinton/Ricky Van Wolfswinkel/Steven Naismith etc, etc, etc. 

Good players don't always cost money either (at least in transfer fees) - see Teemu Pukki or Emi Buendia picked up for a song. 

I bring up other clubs as context - Newcastle are operating in the same industry and same League as us. 

As I've said on another thread signing football players is an inexact science.

The board, Stuart Webber, Daniel Farke were all very up front at the beginning of this season that we would be spending very little money this season by Premier League standards. They have also been absolutely crystal clear that they see their job at the club as a long term one. Given all this it just seems weird to me that people are now turning round and moaning that we haven't spent a lot of money this season. 

 

 

Great post. Wasted on here, but great post all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Bad players can cost money too - see Joelinton/Ricky Van Wolfswinkel/Steven Naismith etc, etc, etc. 

Good players don't always cost money either (at least in transfer fees) - see Teemu Pukki or Emi Buendia picked up for a song. 

I bring up other clubs as context - Newcastle are operating in the same industry and same League as us. 

As I've said on another thread signing football players is an inexact science.

The board, Stuart Webber, Daniel Farke were all very up front at the beginning of this season that we would be spending very little money this season by Premier League standards. They have also been absolutely crystal clear that they see their job at the club as a long term one. Given all this it just seems weird to me that people are now turning round and moaning that we haven't spent a lot of money this season. 

 

 

Good post Thirsty. Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Bad players can cost money too - see Joelinton/Ricky Van Wolfswinkel/Steven Naismith etc, etc, etc. 

Good players don't always cost money either (at least in transfer fees) - see Teemu Pukki or Emi Buendia picked up for a song. 

Agreed that bad players can cost a lot of money.

Agree that good players don't always cost a lot of money.

But a team can attempt to sign good players for little money and fail in that strategy, and that's what we've done over the past year, because only Byram has managed to force his way into the side and then keep his place. 

Also, Buendia cost circa-£5m we've since been able to ascertain. This summer we didn't spend £5m on anybody; I don't think it is unreasonable for fans to have expected us to invest a small amount of money in players with the potential to go on to become important players for us, even if that's post-relegation. We spent about £4m/£5m on James Maddison when we last came up.

The problem with 'banking' the cash is that we signed James Maddison as a Premier League side, beating a lot of competition for his signature. I doubt he'd have chosen us if we were either still in the Championship. As a Championship side we are behind the likes of Brighton and Burnley in the transfer market, as simple as that. 

This past summer was the time to attract a few young talents, I still don't understand why we didn't invest in new assets. Perhaps that will become clearer as time goes on, perhaps the next accounts will give us all a bit of a shock as we've had an unexpected expense, or perhaps we're building a new City Stand. Maybe it will all become clear, but at the moment I don't understand why we haven't invested in the playing staff. 

I don't think it would be particularly difficult to find an upgrade on Marco Stiepermann for £5m, if the current regime would struggle to do that then perhaps they aren't as good as we thought they were? 

Would we get £2m for Stiepermann? That's the point. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×