Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... √ó
Sign in to follow this  
hepphep

Have we improved - now with statistics!

Recommended Posts

When in other thread there was lots of discussion if we have improved during the season or not, I started to really ponder if it is just me who is in wrong impression and then I figured out that maybe statistics could tell something of how our performance has changed during the season.

So, I dived into WhoScored.com statistics and started pull lots of stats from there to google sheet to get real idea.
I include charts of those data here. The charts are in format our value - opponent value. So for example if Shots category is in -5 that means that opponent has shot five times more than us in that game.

The trendlines here define the direction we have been moving during the season so far.

It is interesting in the sense that amount of possession and passing success rate has been going down during the season. On the other hand, we have been improving on keypasses. That would be in line that in early season we tried to do more of safe passing, but were not really getting into situation to give that final pass. And I think it was quite like that actually. Passing with slow tempo on our own side or in midfield which often caused us to lose possession in dangerous zones.

The sort of individual progress can be seen in dribbles, tackles, key passes and aerials won. In addition the dispossessed rating is going clearly down (which is good, it's only trend that going down is better) meaning that we are reaching a point where we are not handing ball that often to opponents.

Also, in shots we are trending towards same numbers as opponents.

We are also closing opponents in number of corners gained, in which we started bad way as well.

image.thumb.png.6fd712c64269e511ac9ea7e640b5ff24.png Of course, it is not massive statistics, but I'd think it is good enough take on seeing which way our game is progressing.

Feel free to debate! ūüôā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only stastics that counts.

We haven't won a game in 10 matches, we give goals away for fun and we are bottom by 5 points

If that's progression then God help us if we hit a bad patch

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you concede two goals for every one you score you don't need to look at any other statistic. The answer is staring you in the face.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ricardo said:

If you concede two goals for every one you score you don't need to look at any other statistic. The answer is staring you in the face.

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

The only stastics that counts.

We haven't won a game in 10 matches, we give goals away for fun and we are bottom by 5 points

If that's progression then God help us if we hit a bad patch

That's actually true as well. And actually if you just look at high level results that is clear. Our scoring trend has been going down along with our points trend.

That is interesting conflict with the fact that based on other stats it looks like we are improving.

So it seems that in many ways we are improving inside the game, but the end results are going down.

Of course our conceded trend is going down as well, getting bit closer to our scoring which is also going down.
image.png.6484aec961ccab89d9edab7e9a95543f.png
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hepphep said:

That's actually true as well. And actually if you just look at high level results that is clear. Our scoring trend has been going down along with our points trend.

That is interesting conflict with the fact that based on other stats it looks like we are improving.

So it seems that in many ways we are improving inside the game, but the end results are going down.

Of course our conceded trend is going down as well, getting bit closer to our scoring which is also going down.
image.png.6484aec961ccab89d9edab7e9a95543f.png
 

Yeah, good on the lads for only conceding 4 today 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×