Sign in to follow this  
Chumino

Bounce straight back up?

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

On evidence this year I think we were 1 CB, and a No 10 away from a competitive starting 11. Arguably a better Teemu backup as well given Drmic injury record.

I didn’t want to see us jeopardise our financial security but the lack of ambition to put forward 10-25 million of all that Sky money to potentially secure it at relatively low risk is still going to hurt when this team starts to get broken up in the summer.

This is the most exciting group of players I’ve seen in the last 25 years or so of my support and I’m not convinced Farke will stay or enough of the best will remain to secure promotion next time.

I hope I’m wrong and we use the money from the PL and sales to progress but it’s all very depressing right now.

Agree with all of that. It really is a case of what might of been. I fear the lack of a sensible level of investment will ultimately lead to the break up of this group and our style. If it then means a few seasons in the champs that naivety will really hurt the progress and model. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

On evidence this year I think we were 1 CB, and a No 10 away from a competitive starting 11. Arguably a better Teemu backup as well given Drmic injury record.

I didn’t want to see us jeopardise our financial security but the lack of ambition to put forward 10-25 million of all that Sky money to potentially secure it at relatively low risk is still going to hurt when this team starts to get broken up in the summer.

This is the most exciting group of players I’ve seen in the last 25 years or so of my support and I’m not convinced Farke will stay or enough of the best will remain to secure promotion next time.

I hope I’m wrong and we use the money from the PL and sales to progress but it’s all very depressing right now.

Totally agree with this sentiment. Lack of investment in a business is as dangerous as reckless spending and £750k on a defender was never going to be enough. There have been really good points made on this forum over the season about how much we should or shouldn't have spent but nobody on here will convince me have done all we can financially to avoid relegation. There was a middle ground and we chose to ignore it. 

I wonder if the owners will actually be brave enough to reinvest the money from the sale of young starlets back into the playing squad to gain promotion. I will believe it when I see it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Surely we've had unprecedented investment in many parts of the business. 

Just not on the pitch, which just happens to be where the results are determined.

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Totally agree with this sentiment. Lack of investment in a business is as dangerous as reckless spending and £750k on a defender was never going to be enough. There have been really good points made on this forum over the season about how much we should or shouldn't have spent but nobody on here will convince me have done all we can financially to avoid relegation. There was a middle ground and we chose to ignore it.

I know it’s partly benefit of hindsight and what ifs on the injury front but I don’t feel anyone can justifiably argue we got our business right in the summer, either acquisitions or money spent.

Byram was an astonishing bit of business, but one success is dire return in the bigger picture.

We knew both Klose and Drmic were injuries waiting to happen so I find it baffling we didn’t plan for that eventuality.

Also expecting the entirety of our 1st team from last year to make the step up was naive in the extreme. We didn’t sign a single player who improved the 1st 11 and arguably only Byram offered competition, that was the real disappointment for me. 

One or two first team additions could have made a huge difference, such small margins between the season we are having and what could have been.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Just not on the pitch, which just happens to be where the results are determined.

That's a completely different thing. It wasn't me that mentioned "the business".

You can't isolate just one part and whatever is invested can only be invested once.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

That's a completely different thing. It wasn't me that mentioned "the business".

You can't isolate just one part and whatever is invested can only be invested once.

You quoted it though nutty. Stop being so damn pedantic and just face reality, we didn’t invest and we’re going down as a result because the squad isn’t good enough. The reason we didn’t invest is because we have no money, which boils down to our owners being too poor to run an EPL club. End of.

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

You quoted it though nutty. Stop being so damn pedantic and just face reality, we didn’t invest and we’re going down as a result because the squad isn’t good enough. The reason we didn’t invest is because we have no money, which boils down to our owners being too poor to run an EPL club. End of.

Nutty pedantic,  never! 

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But they do run an EPL club. Which, I guess, means that they’re not too poor to own one because they, erm, do? Well....most of it. 

I own a little bit of it too. So does Nutty. And Til1010. PinkUn Posters Out. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I quoted it because I was replying to it. Your point is a different one. And this is a different one still.

3 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Can’t see the point in bouncing back up don’t want another season like this one

The euphoria of Wembley and winning the league last season was very quickly followed for me with the knowledge that the following season was likely to be the antithesis of euphoric. 

Be it the inevitability of failing after once again trying to do it on the cheap due to the restraints of our owners or the big 6 leanings of the officiating, you quickly realise that promotion is more a curse than a blessing from a football perspective.

For this reason, it's now been 3 seasons I think since I've had a season ticket and to be honest I dont see myself getting another at the very least until someone a bit more ambitious than Delia/Tom are at the helm.

35 minutes ago, BarclayWazza said:

The euphoria of Wembley and winning the league last season was very quickly followed for me with the knowledge that the following season was likely to be the antithesis of euphoric. 

Be it the inevitability of failing after once again trying to do it on the cheap due to the restraints of our owners or the big 6 leanings of the officiating, you quickly realise that promotion is more a curse than a blessing from a football perspective.

For this reason, it's now been 3 seasons I think since I've had a season ticket and to be honest I dont see myself getting another at the very least until someone a bit more ambitious than Delia/Tom are at the helm.

It’s a shame that you feel that way, honestly. Last season was as good as anything I’ve ever enjoyed as a Norwich fan and in many ways better. 

I was proud that we were bucking the trend and that we had brought through youth players and that we were playing scintillating football and that we were polishing rough diamonds. 

It’s not been so enjoyable this season. Although the sense of pride I feel when I watch us play remains. In Emi Buendia we have as good a footballer as I have ever seen play for us and even if we fail to win another point all season, I’ll still savour the enjoyment he has given me with his talent. 

Lots of people bemoan the fact that we “haven’t given it a go” this season. Paraphrased, we didn’t spend much money. We didn’t have the money, of course which is what (yet again) sparks the envious glances to whichever club is flavour of the “nouveau riche League table” at the time. The same people though, would be as equally annoyed if we were bottom of the league having “had a go” and spent £50m. It’s disingenuous of them to suggest, as Richard Balls did on Twitter, that they’d be appeased if we’d “had a go”. That they’d be HAPPIER if we were £50m WORSE OFF because that would show some faux notion of ambition. 
😴

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Next season will depend on who we sell and how we invest the profits.

The loanees, Amadou, Farhmann and Duma (assuming he signs) will obviously return to their parent clubs.

Tettey's contract is also expiring, I believe, whilst Vrancic will have one year remaining. With Amadou returning to Sevilla, I would assume AT would get another year.

The likely candidates to be sold are Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki.

It's anyone's guess really but I would expect Pukki, Aarons and Buendia to be the most likely to leave.

Jordan Rhodes will be a free agent and it seems to be a typical Webber signing. That would leave us with Rhodes, Drmic and Idah as the forward options.

Byram has shown that he is easily capable of replacing Aarons as first choice right back.

Which would leave about 80 million to replace Buendia, improve other positions and build a new city stand!

31 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Next season will depend on who we sell and how we invest the profits.

The loanees, Amadou, Farhmann and Duma (assuming he signs) will obviously return to their parent clubs.

Tettey's contract is also expiring, I believe, whilst Vrancic will have one year remaining. With Amadou returning to Sevilla, I would assume AT would get another year.

The likely candidates to be sold are Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki.

It's anyone's guess really but I would expect Pukki, Aarons and Buendia to be the most likely to leave.

Jordan Rhodes will be a free agent and it seems to be a typical Webber signing. That would leave us with Rhodes, Drmic and Idah as the forward options.

Byram has shown that he is easily capable of replacing Aarons as first choice right back.

Which would leave about 80 million to replace Buendia, improve other positions and build a new city stand!

Why would loanee drimic be in the equation? 

14 hours ago, Chumino said:

So who thinks we will bounce straight back up next season. Not an easy ask. With the certainty of the best out the door, possibly Farke too it is not going to be last season. 

Farke will still be here. A few of the best will go and some of the not good enough for the PL. Would be pleased to see some great ££ come in for some of our defenders.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Totally agree with this sentiment. Lack of investment in a business is as dangerous as reckless spending and £750k on a defender was never going to be enough. There have been really good points made on this forum over the season about how much we should or shouldn't have spent but nobody on here will convince me have done all we can financially to avoid relegation. There was a middle ground and we chose to ignore it. 

I wonder if the owners will actually be brave enough to reinvest the money from the sale of young starlets back into the playing squad to gain promotion. I will believe it when I see it.

There won't be much money spent from the sale of one or two starlets because it won't be necessary. I expect recruitment to be the same style as last season. More money will be available to spend in the PL next time we're there.

3 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

There won't be much money spent from the sale of one or two starlets because it won't be necessary. I expect recruitment to be the same style as last season. More money will be available to spend in the PL next time we're there.

There won't be much money spent from the sale of one or two starlets because it won't be necessary. I expect recruitment to be the same style as last season. More money will be available not to spend in the PL next time we're there.

*fixed it for you.

9 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

Can’t see the point in bouncing back up don’t want another season like this one

Next time won't be like this season.

5 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

There won't be much money spent from the sale of one or two starlets because it won't be necessary. I expect recruitment to be the same style as last season. More money will be available not to spend in the PL next time we're there.

*fixed it for you.

LOL. 

I don’t know if I care anymore. Will will have one season, then relegated once again. I’m beginning to think after watching them since 1960 out true home is in the second tier.

The club is getting what it deserves......relegation. But us supporters don’t deserve that. No one will ever convince me that have a spend of around £1m in the summer would show any statement of intent from the board. A self supporting club cannot be done in the first two seasons after promotion. No point spending in this window as we are already down! Besides other than loan players who would even sign for us given our certain destiny.

Picture it next season, riches club in the Champs, selling Cantwell and Emi ( on yesterday showing the only two who were PL class)

Our tickets still one of the highest priced in the Champs.

DF off to the Germany, Webber who knows where, as they will be completely fed up with having no money to spend.

let’s face it, last season we spend nothing worth talking about, and saw some truly great football, and DF and Co achieved a true miracle.

Then the powers that be decided that spend as little as possible, hopeful of yet another miracle.

Everytime we go up the gap is getting bigger and bigger.

So the question is, is football more enjoyable experience in the Champs?

No it isn’t. The only reason some of our fans think that is because we’re never able to compete in the PL, we just lose a lot and get relegated which is rightfully called a “miserable” season, rather than investing when we go up, establishing ourselves and then building a much more competitive and we’ll-rounded squad so we can compete for the silverware. 

27 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

rather than investing when we go up, establishing ourselves and then building a much more competitive and we’ll-rounded squad so we can compete for the silverware. 

Someone should send this to all clubs; piece of p155. 

36 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Someone should send this to all clubs; piece of p155. 

Other clubs try. We were celebrating getting through an FA Cup game for the first time in a DECADE last weekend.

I believe we didn’t have the money and no doubt needed to ensure we solidified our financial position from this premiership season.

If we do find ourselves this summer selling three or four key players without good replacements, just cheap options then maybe you can start play the Lack Of Ambition card.

Asfar as I’m concerned this group of players won the league and deserved their chance to prove their quality, maybe the question is other than Byram all other signings both loan and permanent have been utterly non existent, might as well not bothered, when you think Amadou is supposed to be 9 million you can certainly keep him at that price, he’s not worth a couple million. So there begs the question, how much do you need to spend to get a real quality player like Buendia? We certainly got a gem there for the quoted 7 million we spent on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Other clubs try. We were celebrating getting through an FA Cup game for the first time in a DECADE last weekend.

I bet you weren’t. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but the numbers are 2019 £38m loss 2020 £16m projected profit so that's a swing of £54m. On top of that we have 3 or more players with an asset value let's say £20m each. Our summer business was a net spend of £750k. Sorry but that is just not good enough and was a feeble effort in staying in the Premier League. We could and should have have took a bit more risk. 

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the numbers are 2019 £38m loss 2020 £16m projected profit so that's a swing of £54m. On top of that we have 3 or more players with an asset value let's say £20m each. Our summer business was a net spend of £750k. Sorry but that is just not good enough and was a feeble effort in staying in the Premier League. We could and should have have took a bit more risk. 

Your not allowed to quote these facts on here. It’s the model, Go with it and enjoy the ride. 

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rather a strange way to look at it I would say. You do realise that if we lost £38m in 2019 and make a profit of £16m in 2020 that means that over the two seasons we made a loss of £22 million. (And yet some headbangers on here - not talking about you Capt. Pants - claim that we're 'piling up money in the bank'). 

People keep saying we will be stronger.. this team will have zero confidence and the selling of our better players will make it worse. 72% of teams relegated fail to bounce back.. I doubt we will and if we do what is the point when we will just get relegated again...