Sign in to follow this  
Chumino

Bounce straight back up?

So who thinks we will bounce straight back up next season. Not an easy ask. With the certainty of the best out the door, possibly Farke too it is not going to be last season. 

1 minute ago, Chumino said:

So who thinks we will bounce straight back up next season. Not an easy ask. With the certainty of the best out the door, possibly Farke too it is not going to be last season. 

We put four past a top side in Preston with a second 11, keep the better players and build no problems in top 2, lose a few and it’ll get a tad tougher I think.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

We put four past a top side in Preston with a second 11, keep the better players and build no problems in top 2, lose a few and it’ll get a tad tougher I think.

For balance with that post it was also Prestons second 11 so we can’t judge next season on that game. Judgement is impossible at the moment, As the op says it really depends how many of this squad we can hold onto and also if we’ve held on to Farke 

Nearly every relegated Premier League team think they'll get top two at the first attempt, but it doesn't work like that. Even in just the last two seasons, look at the likes of Stoke, Huddersfield and Swansea- all mid-table or worse.

If we go down, it will be one hell of a challenge, as it always is.

• Like 1

We’re up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Is there any point going up again ? Norwich could easily get promoted again next season but we all know what follows (mainly instantly)

Next time Norwich get promotion it should be politely declined but on condition the club takes 1 year sky money and the parachute payments up front. Would cut out the middle man. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We’re up and down like a fiddlers elbow. Is there any point going up again ? Norwich could easily get promoted again next season but we all know what follows (mainly instantly)

Next time Norwich get promotion it should be politely declined but on condition the club takes 1 year sky money and the parachute payments up front. Would cut out the middle man. 

Haha. Could work for all the sheep who suck it up and  support a bank balance. All I hear from neutrals or other clubs fans is nice football, good away day Norwich but you didn't invest what do you expect, you can't afford to be here. 

Just now, Chumino said:

Haha. Could work for all the sheep who suck it up and  support a bank balance. All I hear from neutrals or other clubs fans is nice football, good away day Norwich but you didn't invest what do you expect, you can't afford to be here. 

I hear a lot of similar things where I live, “is Delia still there?” Is a common theme and the look of surprise is brilliant. I wish she would just sod off 

Maybe they will a more honest VAR by the next time we come up.  Bring on the Championship and a fairer league.

9 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Maybe they will a more honest VAR by the next time we come up.  Bring on the Championship and a fairer league.

Is that the reason we are where we are?

46 minutes ago, Chumino said:

There are never any guarantees in football and anybody who thinks that getting out of the Championship is easy needs their head examined. However, if/when we go down what we can say is that we will be in a much better position at the beginning of the season to go up than we were last season. Yes, we may well lose some of our best players, but we will get good money for them. In addition we will have two more seasons of parachute money and presumably we'll still have a number of players in our squad who know all about The Championship and who have proved before that they're good enough to get out of it. 

• Like 2

With most of our best players gone what devine right have we to go back straight back up

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

There are never any guarantees in football and anybody who thinks that getting out of the Championship is easy needs their head examined. However, if/when we go down what we can say is that we will be in a much better position at the beginning of the season to go up than we were last season. Yes, we may well lose some of our best players, but we will get good money for them. In addition we will have two more seasons of parachute money and presumably we'll still have a number of players in our squad who know all about The Championship and who have proved before that they're good enough to get out of it. 

Even if we get good money for our players we all know that most of it will be put in the bank - I am quickly losing faith in NCFC being ever to win a cup or be a regular in the PL because unless we can shake off what we have always been and that is a non ambitious outfit then I am afraid we are going nowhere - the board treats the fans like mugs but there again there are 27000 turn up for every game so why would they change 

34 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Even if we get good money for our players we all know that most of it will be put in the bank - I am quickly losing faith in NCFC being ever to win a cup or be a regular in the PL because unless we can shake off what we have always been and that is a non ambitious outfit then I am afraid we are going nowhere - the board treats the fans like mugs but there again there are 27000 turn up for every game so why would they change 

Really silly comment. We lost £38 million last year - hardly indicative of a team that is putting money in the bank is it? 

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Depends on who goes in the summer and what relegation does to the confidence of our younger players. 

That and also who we bring in. It probably concerns me more whether the coaching team and players really have the drive and motivation to do it all again. A few key additions to the squad who are really hungry for it will be essential. 

I'm not sure how patient the fans will be as the level of expectation will be high, very high. We bought into the skinflint model this season on assumption that there will be a serious assault on automatic promotion next season. I have a horrible feeling we'll choke on that level of expectation.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That and also who we bring in. It probably concerns me more whether the coaching team and players really have the drive and motivation to do it all again. A few key additions to the squad who are really hungry for it will be essential. 

I'm not sure how patient the fans will be as the level of expectation will be high, very high. We bought into the skinflint model this season on assumption that there will be a serious assault on automatic promotion next season. I have a horrible feeling we'll choke on that level of expectation.

Yes I can see us going down, losing out to other teams for top players and then overspending in others and then just missing out. We have been there before and don’t tend to do well when we fancy ourselves 

18 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Really silly comment. We lost £38 million last year - hardly indicative of a team that is putting money in the bank is it? 

Our financial position was totally different in those accounts. Do you truly believe if our best left come the summer this ownership would reinvest those millions in replacements . No they wouldn't. 

It will be a huge test of Farke and his man management to see if he can keep the players focused and positive after a season of getting mullered. Momentum is easy to lose and tough to get back.

6 minutes ago, Chumino said:

Our financial position was totally different in those accounts. Do you truly believe if our best left come the summer this ownership would reinvest those millions in replacements . No they wouldn't. 

Every single bit of available evidence suggests they would. Since a lot on here seem to have very short memories - it was paying too much on transfer fees and wages - Naismith in particular, but also players like Wildschut, Oliveira, Jarvis etc that got us in a financial mess only a few seasons back. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Every single bit of available evidence suggests they would. Since a lot on here seem to have very short memories - it was paying too much on transfer fees and wages - Naismith in particular, but also players like Wildschut, Oliveira, Jarvis etc that got us in a financial mess only a few seasons back. 

And going back a little further the never to be forgotten Ricky Van Wolfswinkel. 

Well we've had an almost identical scenario in the past haven't we, under Doomcaster.

Get promoted, don't spend any money and leave ourselves short in a couple of positions.

Try to 'undo' our lack of summer business in January, but fail to claw back the points deficit. 

Get to the summer and lose a few players who have proven themselves good enough at this level, replace them with cheaper players.

The cheaper players prove not good enough, the team struggles. A couple more good players then request to leave in the following January, we also replace them with inferior players.

We eventually lose parachute payments and then have to sell even those inferior players, replace them with even cheaper (and worse) players. 

Result was a decade out of the Premier League and some perilous times financially.

Chances of history repeating itself probably about 50/50 from here, we might get lucky this time. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Unless we obtain new owners we are doomed to to failure. It’s like the football version of Groundhog Day! As a fan there is nothing I can do about this, but I have realised that over recent years, I enjoy getting to the Premiership much more than actually being in it. The whole set up is geared towards the big clubs (even VAR decisions so it would appear). I am looking forward to next season when at least we know that our team will be competitive. I don’t blame Farke, he has performed miracles in getting us promoted with the funds at his disposal. My only worry is whether we can keep him.

• Like 1

It's a main concern If Farke gets tempted with a return to Germany with our relegation, lose him and our Farke ball identity with the best exponents of it  sold it will be a big ask to jump straight back up. 

• Like 1

Problem is, does anyone bar Delia actually want to invest in this club? It is painfully obvious that we will never be a sustainable premier league team without more backing as there is no such thing these days but I honestly don't think there are any rich billionaires interested.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're doing it again  lizardo, stop telling the truth.

We've been promoted from the second tier 4 whilst I've been supporting the canaries ... it would be daft to discount our chances of doing it again - BUT, we know more than most, it ain't easy!

For what it's worth I'm just sitting back and watching how this Webberlution unfolds.

To be fair to Stuart and Daniel I think we got promoted quicker than they (and all of us!!!) anticipated and so perhaps we need to be as patient and philosophical as they both appear to be.

In the worst case scenario we'll end up back at square one (where Alex Neil left us) but with a trophy in the cabinet, a far healthier bank balance and some awesome memories.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

On evidence this year I think we were 1 CB, and a No 10 away from a competitive starting 11. Arguably a better Teemu backup as well given Drmic injury record.

I didn’t want to see us jeopardise our financial security but the lack of ambition to put forward 10-25 million of all that Sky money to potentially secure it at relatively low risk is still going to hurt when this team starts to get broken up in the summer.

This is the most exciting group of players I’ve seen in the last 25 years or so of my support and I’m not convinced Farke will stay or enough of the best will remain to secure promotion next time. Those that do stay look set to be mentally knocked from a bruising campaign.

I hope I’m wrong and we use the money from the PL and sales to progress but it’s all very depressing right now.

Edited by Monty13