Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Match thread v Man Utd.

Two things that I see .... they are about half a yard quicker than us, and our first instinct is to pass back rather than forward. So that in turn has put pressure on the passer and the passes as a result are misdirects or intercepted.

The cross put in by Mata however was quality. 

And there you go... non-relegation form teams put that chance away. But that's our season so far. 

1-0 down away at Man Utd is not "not even trying to compete" Mr Troll.

That's better. Crucial last ditch tackle by Wan Bissaka and then Cantwell brings a great save out of de Gea. As long as it's only 1-0 we're still in it. 

Well it seems we're always much worse lately in one half so hopefully we'll see a stark improvement second half

• Like 1

We need to wake up.

We're making Manure look like worldbeaters and they are far from that.

Something needs to change.

Not with 30 minutes left, not with 20 minutes left and not with 10 minutes left.

We need something to change now

Unpopular view probably but I’d take Idah off and give Hernandez a go up there, we’re desperately needing an option out and his pace may cause them more problems and give us an option. Not a criticism of Idah but it’s looking too much too soon for him

• Like 1

Just now, sonyc said:

Still in this. But....really need to go up a couple of years.

You mean relegated this season, back the next and then we have more money to spend?

Just now, Nuff Said said:

You mean relegated this season, back the next and then we have more money to spend?

Haha nice one Nuff Said. Yeah, Freudian Slip I reckon.

*gears*

• Like 1

Just now, JF said:

Unpopular view probably but I’d take Idah off and give Hernandez a go up there, we’re desperately needing an option out and his pace may cause them more problems and give us an option. Not a criticism of Idah but it’s looking too much too soon for him

It couldn’t be much harder for him though, barely any service and isolated when he does get the ball. As someone said, we really miss Pukki, his work rate and ability to get in the face of the opposition is excellent.

1 minute ago, JF said:

I do think we need Argos on for an injection of pace not sure who for. Maybe for TC. He's working hard but should have burried his chance, we aren't creating. Big miss. 

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

It couldn’t be much harder for him though, barely any service and isolated when he does get the ball. As someone said, we really miss Pukki, his work rate and ability to get in the face of the opposition is excellent.

It was me that said about Pukki. I’m not criticising Idah at all but we’re pinned in because we can’t get an option out. I can’t see anyone other than Hernandez that can offer anything up there

1 minute ago, JF said:

It was me that said about Pukki. I’m not criticising Idah at all but we’re pinned in because we can’t get an option out. I can’t see anyone other than Hernandez that can offer anything up there

Not quite sure how you’d reorganise, but Vrancic off for Hernandez for me.

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Anyone else's stream currently showing 'Club legends - Matt Holland, Ipswich town' at halftime on the Norwich stream  🤨

Yep...

I think Byram and Buendia have been good. And Tettey done ok as well. Cantwell improved near end of first half. I think we can also see that we are missing Pukki's experience up there as his positioning and moves when giving pressure is something that Idah couldn't yet provide on first half.

Would likely consider substituting Vrancic and bringing Trybull in (or maybe giving Amadou chance next to Tettey). Need more defensive strength and balance to midfield. Need start to winning balls bit higher up in field as well.

Idah has been really isolated and when he does get close to the ball, he has four Man U players around him. Is not being supported by our attacking midfield, which looks lightweight.

Edited by Kanadyan Kanary

The really strange thing about this is we look like we're midway through pre-season. Everything is coming across a bit reluctant and  sleepy; passes are being underhit where they aren't normally. 

United are playing a very very high line with a passive press until the first pass and we're essentially playing ourselves into trouble, because our usual peppy passing game has gone to pot today.

Vrancic can play at this level but today is not his day, if not for his perfect hair I'd assume he had only just gotten out of bed. Buendia has had one of those days where the first couple of things have gone against him and he's now having a strop about it, and Kenny is superfluous today. Idah is struggling to get into the game (which is to be expected) but I would say it's part of our game plan to not involve him too heavily and have him concentrate on any sniff of goal.

It's not entirely hopeless however; there's been more than a few times that we've been half a yard off of a serious break and Man U aren't playing well enough that we should be terrified. The cross for their goal was just upper PL quality and you have to accept that. I'd have Kenny and Vrancic off and two of Stiepermann, Trybull or Amadou on to get some bite in the midfield, and an absolute ****ing rocket up them at half time to stop messing up 5 yard passes like amateurs.

For me a poor selection today. We had no choice but to play Idah so nothing we could do about the lack of Pukki style running up front but the midfield is way too open abd they have way too much space out wide. This was not a game for Vrancic in my view and Solskaer has picked up and is exploiting the fact our wide players play narrow and don’t Chase back. He needs to change it early. He won’t.

the good news is it’s only 1-0 and surely we will play better second half? 

Bit of an illustRation so far today of how I’ll equipped our squad actually is. Not necessarily in terms of numbers but just in terms of being able to adapt to play a low risk/percentages style of play in tough away games like this and try abs sh*thouse a 1-0. The likes of Palace abd Shef U can do it. We simply can’t.