Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Match thread v Man Utd.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

But the away fans took it on the chin and all’s not lost ? 

Some did, some didn't. I didn't applaud at the final whistle. I'm not ashamed to admit it. We were dreadful and I just didn't feel like it. 

9 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Some did, some didn't. I didn't applaud at the final whistle. I'm not ashamed to admit it. We were dreadful and I just didn't feel like it. 

It’s not a cheap past time and hopefully you were able to enjoy a few units pre match  to numb the pain. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s not a cheap past time and hopefully you were able to enjoy a few units pre match  to numb the pain. 

A couple of Carling's served in plastic 'glasses' in the beautiful surroundings of a Premier Inn... followed by a bottle of Heineken decanted into a plastic 'glass' to reveal its inadequate attempt to make a pint. But still the most enjoyable part of the day!

• Like 2

Just now, Il Pirata said:

A couple of Carling's served in plastic 'glasses' in the beautiful surroundings of a Premier Inn... followed by a bottle of Heineken decanted into a plastic 'glass' to reveal its inadequate attempt to make a pint. But still the most enjoyable part of the day!

Exactly ! Miss Yarmouth yellows reports match reports who always stated “don’t let football spoil your day”

6 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Just back from the game. 

In summary, dreadful. Not even second best today, Manchester United pressed us to death and forced mistake after mistake. We lacked EPL class in every department today, and never got a foothold in the game. 

Cantwell and Mclean terrible, offered nothing all game. Vrancic and Tettey slow and cumbersome, Byram needed too long to get the ball onto his stronger foot and Aarons coudnlt get to grips with the attacking Williams. Zim and Hanley defended with heart, but ultimately were fire fighting throughout and their distribution was abysmal. Krul's decision to challenge for the penalty was clueless and killed the game. 

Adam Idah offered Harry McGuire the easiest 90 minutes of EPL football he'll ever get. To be in a position whereby we have to throw an 18 year old in for his first league start at Old Trafford is criminal. Are we taking this league seriously? 

The only player deserving of any credit was Buendia. The only player Manchester United showed a yard of respect to. 

Men against boys, in some circumstances quite literally. 

As for the away fans.. compared to recent away game we were poor too, and from the get go. 

Rubbish, horrible, and thoroughly depressing day of football. 

That's just about what I saw.

I thought Vrancic & McLean were the worst, but nobody was great. Mario, after a good first game, is unfortunately performing as I thought he might.

I said in the summer my greatest fear was that the sheer power & athleticism of PL players would undo us. In the Champs. our superior skills were enough to undo the opposition, but now we're matched in that department & get strongarmed out of matches.

i think we missed Teemu badly today, psychologically as much as anything. Our attacking is built around his intelligent, tireless running & without him we soon realised we had little chance.

Opposition players close us down so much better than we do them (today was a prime example), we seldom get a clear shot at goal, & we don't get enough numbers in the box when attacking. We've no-one to win the ball if crossed into the box, so opponents can defend compactly & know we can only try to trick our way into a crowded box & walk the ball into the net - we've got nobody with a powerful howitzer shot from distance to worry them either (unless you count Alex's once-a-season jobs).

Duda may help. A bit. But he certainly won't fix everything.

Am I losing hope? Of course. I only cling to the knowledge that football is ye funnee olde game, & confidence is a huge part of it. If (if) we could string 2 or 3 wins together somehow it could yet change. 

Somehow Farke's got to motivate & inspire this group. Realism's got to be out the window. 

It's not over yet, but the large lady is clearing her throat ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

Whilst I understand everyone wants to see City play at the highest level, it has to be said that many of the so called big clubs, the support of their team on the pitch is awful. 

The huge sums of money has actually taken the heart out of many of these clubs. Today was probably the biggest example of that. 

I know the telly isn't the best way to gauge  atmosphere, but I could hear a lot more of the city fans, whether it was going well or as it turned out, not, than the Mighty Red Devil Merchandise Munchers.

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

That's just about what I saw.

I thought Vrancic & McLean were the worst, but nobody was great. Mario, after a good first game, is unfortunately performing as I thought he might.

I said in the summer my greatest fear was that the sheer power & athleticism of PL players would undo us. In the Champs. our superior skills were enough to undo the opposition, but now we're matched in that department & get strongarmed out of matches.

i think we missed Teemu badly today, psychologically as much as anything. Our attacking is built around his intelligent, tireless running & without him we soon realised we had little chance.

Opposition players close us down so much better than we do them (today was a prime example), we seldom get a clear shot at goal, & we don't get enough numbers in the box when attacking. We've no-one to win the ball if crossed into the box, so opponents can defend compactly & know we can only try to trick our way into a crowded box & walk the ball into the net - we've got nobody with a powerful howitzer shot from distance to worry them either (unless you count Alex's once-a-season jobs).

Duda may help. A bit. But he certainly won't fix everything.

Am I losing hope? Of course. I only cling to the knowledge that football is ye funnee olde game, & confidence is a huge part of it. If (if) we could string 2 or 3 wins together somehow it could yet change. 

Somehow Farke's got to motivate & inspire this group. Realism's got to be out the window. 

It's not over yet, but the large lady is clearing her throat ...

The fat lady did her encore many weeks ago . 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The fat lady did her encore many weeks ago . 

You really must be nicer to Jobsworth.

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I know the telly isn't the best way to gauge  atmosphere, but I could hear a lot more of the city fans, whether it was going well or as it turned out, not, than the Mighty Red Devil Merchandise Munchers.

A large section of the Stretford End sang throughout. From minute one. The rest of the crowd were quiet, but no different to the Barclay and Carrow Road. 

Just now, Il Pirata said:

A large section of the Stretford End sang throughout. From minute one. The rest of the crowd were quiet, but no different to the Barclay and Carrow Road. 

Fair enough,  I sometimes think the away supporters  at Carrow rd sound disproportionately  loud when on telly.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Fair enough,  I sometimes think the away supporters  at Carrow rd sound disproportionately  loud when on telly.

Probably because the main TV gantry is in The South Stand.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Probably because the main TV gantry is in The South Stand.

For sure , but they mic  up  the entire  pitch  boundary don't they?

2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

The thing that’s hurt the most this season is that aside from today, and very much recently, we’ve been so close to getting results.  

We lost 14 points from winning positions in December. In all of them it was fine margins that lost us the points.

Against Wolves we could have finished it if Pukki had put away his chances.

In all of them it was defensive mistakes that cost us goals.

If we had spent a bit of money on a decent striker, could he have filled in when Pukki was clearly not fit? It’s fine margins and gobbling up one of those chances by a fully fit striker could have made such a difference. Today we had to play a rookie.

Defensively, could we have splashed out on a dominant and experienced centre back to make us a bit more solid?

As I said earlier, it’s fine margins and investing more in the squad in the summer  wouldn’t have guaranteed improvement, but it certainly would have given us a better chance.

I’m so gutted that after last season we’re not making a decent go of it. We’ll finish bottom but I genuinely thought we’d perform much better. So sad and a missed opportunity.

When you are promoted you can keep your players, but you have to change your approach OR you maintain your system but upgrade the players expected to perform within it.

I think Norwich this season are proving that you cant keep both your existing philosophy and players and expect to survive.

The Norwich system might be good enough to stay up with better players making it work. Or the current crop of players might be good enough to keep us up with a less idealstic and more battle-hardened/combative tactical approach.

But I think we're proving that doing both (same players, same system) and trying to play like Barcelona with kids, rookies and Championship players ends in only one outcome

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Bang on target for this season to have our lowest points tally in the Premier League ever. That's real progress, but at least the bank balance looks good. Can't wait for this season to be over tbh.

It is over!

Our two best results this season have come where we have given the opponents a bit of a respect, hitting them on quick-passing breaks to nick goals.

Only reason I can fathom that we're still travelling to places like Old Trafford and playing 5 attackers with attacking fullbacks is that we're trying to highlight the positive attacking attributes of players such as Aarons rather than underlining defensive struggles. Can't remember where I read or heard it- have a feeling it was Connor Southwell's sit down with him a while back- but Webber instructs the u18 and u23 teams to play with 2 strikers where possible because strikers are the most likely to sell for big bucks if they kick on.

I know we aren't the biggest or strongest side, and maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but I can't believe that professionals like Farke etc are just continually chucking out a gung-ho strategy (when we aren't even that good at gung-ho for this level) without there being a scheme like this behind the scenes.

Edited by Mason 47

That was an extreme disappointment.   We have been much better than that for the last  7 weeks.   Conceding the needless penalty killed the game off and merely confirmed the gulf in class between the two sides.   In the naval gazing credit should go to Utd,  who saw how and delivered  the game plan to get a deserved comfortable win - they do have some talented players and Williams impressed and combined well with Pereira, who played particularly well in the first half.  

My thoughts at the stadium were that we could not address  the intensity of their press;  physically we were on the back foot from the first minute;  in possession we were uncomposed and unable to find a way to play through it, with a lack of strength and poor passing and out of possession we had too many players who were simply off the pace and did not have an impact.   That is not to say that neither Vrancic nor McLean put the effort in, they did, endeavour was there, but they were a yard behind the ball at all times and on their heels using it.  Leicester pressed too but we showed far greater composure on the ball and Trybull was far better in breaching the press from deep than Mario was.   Vrancic in particular seemed like a star struck rabbit in the headlights while Kenny neither made a tackle all day nor provided any sort of out ball or support for Idah.     For me both played less effectively than Amadou did at southampton and we know the ramifications of that performance;  both should take some time on the bench as a consequence.  We need to be more physical and less imperious show horse.

For me it was clear tettey needed some support in breaking up play in the middle of the park,,  and as he very visibly point out to Cantwell after 20 mins for failing to track back, so did the full backs,  which was the key error in the build up to the opening goal.

Given the onslaught and lack of protection I did not think the back 4 did too badly,  Byram for me the pick of the bunch.  Hanley was solid and Zimbo improved as the game went on.    We did have 10 mins after the ridiculous rush of blood from Krul where I feared a much heavier beating, but fortunately Utd made changes that eased the pressure on us as they took the foot off - yet they still deserved the final goal as the ways opened  again for the 4th with Kenny again there but more as a spectator rather than a deterrent. 

I think 7 fouls iis a problem but 22 tackles won (39 attempts) seems OK (a fairly high per game figure) -  until you realise that 5 were by buendia (13 attempted  - the most individually) and more than the other 4 starting midfielders made all game. 

We need 24 points from the last 48 - we wont get anywhere near that playing like we did on sat.

Back four were ok for me.

The midfield bar Tettey were shocking. Love Mario but way behind the pace of play and Mcleans lack of quality is even more clear at this level when hes unable or ineffective with his harrying and chasing - far too few tackles, blocks and combative nature in our game.

I didnt see this as one of the games we would get points from but obviously conceding 4 goals and performing as we did is demoralising. 

Bournemouth will definitely seal our fate if we fail to win but if we did manage a win the glame burns a little longer.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Back four were ok for me.

The midfield bar Tettey were shocking. Love Mario but way behind the pace of play and Mcleans lack of quality is even more clear at this level when hes unable or ineffective with his harrying and chasing - far too few tackles, blocks and combative nature in our game.

I didnt see this as one of the games we would get points from but obviously conceding 4 goals and performing as we did is demoralising. 

Bournemouth will definitely seal our fate if we fail to win but if we did manage a win the glame burns a little longer.

I agree with the above hogesar but especially your last sentence. We need 9 wins and there are possibly 9 games including two away that we could win on paper but we don't look even look like doing that 'on paper' let alone on the pitch. It looks especially difficult given the next run of games. Bournemouth is simply a must win (as the first of one of the 9 games....ZLF above suggests 24 points) and nothing other than a win will do.