Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Match thread v Man Utd.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I hear you, Jobsworth, we’ve all been in that position on holiday - they are the absolute ultimate in plastic supporters, I have no doubt they all flew out of their native Exeter for the big match.

Or near Plymouth too. I know of two who went today from west Devon.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Same here. Knew it would be tough but I didn't think the gulf would be this big. The lack of experience in top division football from our coaches shows. A lot of our players are very young and only a couple of the elder players have Prem experience also shows.

Shame really as I was mildly optimistic at the start. That's gone in a wave of depression.

Yes, that's pretty much how I see it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Orly said:

Poor performance all round today.  I've already practically given up on avoiding relegation.  They'll be better days than this however.  Just not today. Onwards and upwards.

We're down. We all know it. So no point in massive whining. The one good thing is that after today's performance nobody is going to be banging on our door to buy our "best players" the fact is they are not (yet) good enough.... so they stay and we go again in Aug. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JF said:

If they offer him the job then he will be gone as quick as Lambert was to Villa. Not a chance that he would turn down that role and no one would expect him to

Describing him like Lambert is beyond belief, go and wash your mouth out. DF is nothing like PL.

Just now, Surfer said:

We're down. We all know it. So no point in massive whining. The one good thing is that after today's performance nobody is going to be banging on our door to buy our "best players" the fact is they are not (yet) good enough.... so they stay and we go again in Aug. 

I would have struggled to extract anything positive out of today, well done! 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Since 1980 said:

Describing him like Lambert is beyond belief, go and wash your mouth out. DF is nothing like PL.

You’re hilarious. Where did I say he was? Just that if Dortmund come knocking he will be gone and rightly so

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

They'll forget about today's performance, a few will still be in demand by the vultures.

We beat Man City by being utterly and completely focused on our defence maintenance, with a slice of luck, and our surprising (to outsiders) ability to pass quickly got us goals.

We beat Everton by being focused on keeping as defensively solid as we could, and got some goals on the break.

Apart from that we struggle with an arrogance issue that assumes that football is fair and good footballing sides will eventually win points. Even the best league-winning sides have a different composition they can go to when Idea #1 isn't doing it for you.

• Like 1

Just now, JF said:

You’re hilarious. Where did I say he was? Just that if Dortmund come knocking he will be gone and rightly so

You too, you said he'll be gone as quick as Lambert. He certainly won't be gone, they won't be able to knock hard enough!

To be honest, not sure why we will loan Duda now.

hate to say it but we’re dead and buried so might as well save the money OR use it to buy someone who will be here next season!

Edited by rock bus

4 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

You too, you said he'll be gone as quick as Lambert. He certainly won't be gone, they won't be able to knock hard enough!

I’m bored by this now but if you honestly believe that a German would turn down a German giant of a club if they offered him the job then you are utterly deluded. Goodbye

Edited by JF

11 minutes ago, Since 1980 said:

He might be considered but there's no way he's going before his contract expires. He's a man of his word.

Optimistic post of the season. If he gets offered something better he'll be off.

Loyalty only stretches so far

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

Same here. Knew it would be tough but I didn't think the gulf would be this big. The lack of experience in top division football from our coaches shows. A lot of our players are very young and only a couple of the elder players have Prem experience also shows.

Shame really as I was mildly optimistic at the start. That's gone in a wave of depression.

I think there was some overly confident forecasts on here pre season as to how easy our squad would find the step up. Leitner, Steipermann and (maybe controversial) Zimmerman all have shown this is a step too far for them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Whats so frustrating is every time we get promotion, we go up with no lessons learnt and no backing.

So one questions why have any ambition at all?

Get on the naughty step for that kind of attitude.

A great shame, but let us keep playing with style and hope a little more thought is given to recruiting players with more defensive acumen. It can't all be flashy football, you need some grafters to make a team. That much should be obvious to the management team by now. Had Klose been fit we might have made a better fist of it but in our heart of hearts we all knew that what we had would struggle at this level.

more games next season, more midweek involvement, hopefully more wins and far fewer stupid kick off times.

What's not to like about that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think there was some overly confident forecasts on here pre season as to how easy our squad would find the step up. Leitner, Steipermann and (maybe controversial) Zimmerman all have shown this is a step too far for them.

I think it’s easy to see we’re not there in depth, if our starting 11 are on their game we’re competitive, but we have a severe soft spine as shown as we’ve not picked up a single point once we concede first.

The good thing is we certainly have a great young core who will learn from this and if we do go up again our first time of asking we need to learn from our weaknesses this time.

Players try hard but just lack quality throughout this squad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I think it’s easy to see we’re not there in depth, if our starting 11 are on their game we’re competitive, but we have a severe soft spine as shown as we’ve not picked up a single point once we concede first.

The good thing is we certainly have a great young core who will learn from this and if we do go up again our first time of asking we need to learn from our weaknesses this time.

The young core are all ambitious and will be snapped up by ambitious teams

Just now, Indy said:

I don't agree our first xi is good enough though. I don't think any of McLean, Tettey, Zimmerman or even Byram get regular starts at any other team in this league, and I don't think Steipermann, Trybull, Hanley or Leitner get into many 25 man squads.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I don't agree our first xi is good enough though. I don't think any of McLean, Tettey, Zimmerman or even Byram get regular starts at any other team in this league, and I don't think Steipermann, Trybull, Hanley or Leitner get into many 25 man squads.

Brutal, but probably true. Some people denigrated the likes of Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, etc but man for for man they have shown to be stronger than us.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Can’t disagree with that, certainly not consistent enough for this level, Amadou certainly not looked great at this level either. My remark was on their day, once in a blue moon if you like, but I don’t agree with lots of people who purely blame our defence, yes they’re certainly still young but had we got a strong midfield pairing in front of them they wouldn’t look so exposed at times as they have this season.

Agree this is an area which we have plenty of players but probably one of our weakest in truth.

1 hour ago, Carra Rud said:

City are a real Jekyll and Hyde team, unfortunately today its Hyde!

Yeah we got a good Hyde...ing

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

How ridiculous is that statement ? Looks like having a grip on the reality of where we are heading and have looked like it for weeks now is seen as hoping for us to lose in your head. As i said ridiculous thing to say.

Happens every time we have a poor season. Certain folks can't admit their wrong so instead lash out at any criticism. They'll also be the first bumping threads and demanding mea culpas from others when it goes that way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

We just lost 4-0 to Manchester United, not 6 or 8 and not to a small club.

A Man Utd team that have looked dreadful for much of the season. I have thought we'd have given them a decent match, to lose by 4 and play so badly is disappointing. As for DF sticking around, put yourself in his position- he is never going to be able to improve himself beyond managing a bottom of the league team at Norwich in the current circumstances, he is never going to improve upon this. If a top 5 or 6 Bundesliga team comes calling, I'd suggest it would be seriously tempting.     

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

And I actually think that out of our youngest the player closest to being consistent enough and well rounded enough to get first team football for a decent side at this level is actually the one who is currently stuck on the bench, Jamal Lewis.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Til leads the way to St Andrews Hall

01A95F66-2949-4D95-84B0-D96AFD602CA5.jpeg

The Happy Clappers have already booked it for a crisis meeting.