Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Paradox in defence

15 minutes ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

I’d put money on us staying up if we had 5 at the back, Wanyama, another top cb and Mitrovic (Not the £35m it will cost, but money nonetheless).

So is that £35m for a top centre back or Mitrovic? You sure as hell aren't getting both for that money.

15 minutes ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

Why not sell Aarons and Cantwell, loan them back for 6 months and get this done? 

"FFS".

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So is that £35m for a top centre back or Mitrovic? You sure as hell aren't getting both for that money.

"FFS".

* Get all 3 for that money

Mitrovic - £20m + Leitner and Drmic  
Wanyama £7.5m (perhaps linked to Aarons deal as a sweetener)   
Worral - £7.5m + throw in a skip full of Delia’s Complete Cookery Course Signed Books

30 minutes ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

Ay a ay, he’s our midfield maestro Ay a ay, he never gives the ball awayyyyy.... Composed, direct and dynamic Trybul 

Vs 

Tettey who is very poor on the ball and prone to mistakes. I would make a showreel of Tettey unforced errors which lead to goals if I had the time, probably with the Trybul song as the theme tune to the video. Yes Tettey does break up play fairly well and he’s definitely improved this season, specially in releasing the ball faster and passing it forward. In terms of footballing quality through I can’t wait to see him leave. 

Wanyama over Tom and Tettey all day, but will our owners ever sanction a proven top class players coming in? Will that be the failure? Farke has done amazingly with small budgets, finding gems but for me that’s a good approach for attacking flare, but for me there should be no speculation on core defensive players... Get proven rocks in and give the attacking flare the confidence and shield they need. 

I’d put money on us staying up if we had 5 at the back, Wanyama, another top cb and Mitrovic (Not the £35m it will cost, but money nonetheless). Why not sell Aarons and Cantwell, loan them back for 6 months and get this done? 

Trybull gave the ball away at LEAST TWICE against PNE through being too WEAK on the ball. He & Leitner nearly let them back into the game last week.

He's no quicker than Alex, doesn't head better, doesn't anticipate a swell, doesn't retain the ball as well ... he's woesr than Alex in just about every department.

If Alex was quicker he'd play for a top 6 team.]

I'd love to see a compilation of his errors, I really would. They'd pale into insignificance against Tom's, & most of the rest of the team as well.

7 minutes ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

* Get all 3 for that money

Mitrovic - £20m + Leitner and Drmic  
Wanyama £7.5m (perhaps linked to Aarons deal as a sweetener)   
Worral - £7.5m + throw in a skip full of Delia’s Complete Cookery Course Signed Books

And what makes you think that Fulham are interested in Leitner or Drmic and vice versa? And since when has Worrall been a 'top centre back'?

Negotiating a transfer window always seems so easy in our heads.

The losing 14 points is not due to the defenders or even so much the tactics, it's because as the game progresses and we get pegged back we are unable to stop the ball coming straight back when we clear it. This is primarily caused by not having an advanced player capable of winning first or second ball and then holding it up, hence why Farke brought steipi on for pukki the other match (that just failed). I don't know if idah and/or Duda would be the answer to this, but IMO it's our main problem, it's just difficult to address...

• Like 1

iI tend to agree with Barcelona in regards to playing 5 at the back.If we got another commanding CH I do think that DF might employ that system.

The problem I have is the make-up of the  rest of the team.

Part of me wants to see Amadou be a success as I feel he has the athleticism to be so but Tettey has improved so much in the course of the last two seasons that he is difficult to overlook.It has to be said that aside from his obvious athleticism Amadou does remind me of the Tettey of old.

The make up of the attacking midfield is really where I struggle. Vrancic,Cantwell and Buendia would be my choice but now there is the possibilty that we may get Duda ( an International but at the moment an unknown quantity) to add to the list of possible candidates.

Up front I guess its a no brainer with Pukki as first choice.I do believe that Idah will more than likely be the preferred option to Dmric.The possible inclusion of the lad from Arsenal does seem a bit pointless to get him in and then send Idah out on loan so I am going to dismiss that option as paper talk

Thinking about it, the ideal player to fix our team would be felanni, put him in at no.10, leave the rest alone and we would be sorted.

7 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

The losing 14 points is not due to the defenders or even so much the tactics, it's because as the game progresses and we get pegged back we are unable to stop the ball coming straight back when we clear it. This is primarily caused by not having an advanced player capable of winning first or second ball and then holding it up, hence why Farke brought steipi on for pukki the other match (that just failed). I don't know if idah and/or Duda would be the answer to this, but IMO it's our main problem, it's just difficult to address...

That's a very good point. Also I think someone (Parma?) said that we run out of steam at the end of games because we have to put so much effort in to stay in the game early on.

Also I do believe the defence is lacking in experience - a huge factor. As I've said before, despite his shortcomings Hanley may be the safer option at the mo.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

That's a very good point. Also I think someone (Parma?) said that we run out of steam at the end of games because we have to put so much effort in to stay in the game early on.

Also I do believe the defence is lacking in experience - a huge factor. As I've said before, despite his shortcomings Hanley may be the safer option at the mo.

It will be interesting to see how this year's PL experience will influence next year's Championship (assuming the most likely outcome and barring a mini miracle).  If we keep a core, could we be the ultimate yo-yo team (West Brom seem just like us in this respect)? We are often too good for the Championship but so far, not sufficiently competitive in the PL.

Our younger players will have gained a lot of experience, nous, tactical knowledge. We know they have a good mentality. I'm worried of course we may lose them.

This is an interesting time to be a NCFC fan for sure and realising this is one way of finding positivity.

Edited by sonyc

I think we should give this Paradox lad a run out in defence as the thread title suggests. He can't do any worse.

23 minutes ago, Grando said:

I think we should give this Paradox lad a run out in defence as the thread title suggests. He can't do any worse.

I think communication with his partners in the defence could be a problem - apparently they find him hard to understand.......

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BarcelonaCanary said:

Ay a ay, he’s our midfield maestro Ay a ay, he never gives the ball awayyyyy.... Composed, direct and dynamic Trybul 

Vs 

Tettey who is very poor on the ball and prone to mistakes. I would make a showreel of Tettey unforced errors which lead to goals if I had the time, probably with the Trybul song as the theme tune to the video. Yes Tettey does break up play fairly well and he’s definitely improved this season, specially in releasing the ball faster and passing it forward. In terms of footballing quality through I can’t wait to see him leave. 

Wanyama over Tom and Tettey all day, but will our owners ever sanction a proven top class players coming in? Will that be the failure? Farke has done amazingly with small budgets, finding gems but for me that’s a good approach for attacking flare, but for me there should be no speculation on core defensive players... Get proven rocks in and give the attacking flare the confidence and shield they need. 

I’d put money on us staying up if we had 5 at the back, Wanyama, another top cb and Mitrovic (Not the £35m it will cost, but money nonetheless). Why not sell Aarons and Cantwell, loan them back for 6 months and get this done? 

Are you Wanaymas agent or something?

Paradox in defence? 

I like it. Is he Greek? Let’s sign him.

Edited by Bonzo

All 6 of those points in the OP. Take each of those players out and slot them individually into an established EPL outfit and they would probably go on to have great careers, but collectively in a Norwich unit they are no good. What they need is a club that knows what it takes at this level and grooms them accordingly. At Norwich the set-up is way too naive and amateurish to rub shoulders with the best.

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

All 6 of those points in the OP. Take each of those players out and slot them individually into an established EPL outfit and they would probably go on to have great careers, but collectively in a Norwich unit they are no good. What they need is a club that knows what it takes at this level and grooms them accordingly. At Norwich the set-up is way too naive and amateurish to rub shoulders with the best.

What's Delia's role in the leaky defence, Vince?

On 10/01/2020 at 12:37, ron obvious said:

Really lacking in the right tactics and the required quality today. Hanley is a donkey and Tettey is poor quality.

Should Hernandez been given a chance as a number 9 today?