Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Max Aarons

1 hour ago, HertsCanary93 said:

He's got 4 years on his contract, we're in the premier league and in a January transfer window. Spurs are unlikely to spend 30m+ on a player when they probably back themselves to sign him for ~20m in the summer.

This is the same club that failed to sign Jack Grealish 2 summers ago for a 15m asking price as they refused to go higher than 12m.

I will be incredibly surprised if anyone important leaves this window.

Completely agree. 

I can't see any first team player leaving in January. This is one of the main reasons players were put onto long term contracts - It protects the club against losing players on form during the January window, unless the bid is huge. I can quite imagine provisional agreements were put in place with the likes of Godfrey and Aarons that bids will be considered in summer. 

Our policy of long term contracts is first and foremost to protect the club, and to ensure at the very least market value transfer fees. The duration of the contract is completely irrelevant in terms of how long the player will stay at the club. I fully expect Aarons and Godfrey to be sold in the summer. 

14 hours ago, Indy said:

Trouble is any profit from sales will be subject to a big tax bill, so given we’ll be making a hefty profit this season with the TV money, any sales should go back into the club on players in, ground / training ground improvements. No point in just taking 30 million as it’ll be taxed!

This, and also FFP rules, is a reason why we've seen an increase in loans with obligation to buy as it defers payment. If we loaned Aarons to Spurs with the obligation to buy in six (or even 18) months then the fee we'd receive would be further down the line and give us more wiggle room with regards to FFP, which could come in handy if we want to spend a bit of money in a couple of years.

Max signed a 5 year deal 6 months ago. He’s still only just turned 20 I think so I’d like to think, as unreasonable as it may sound to some, that we could keep him and our other young players for another season as they develop regardless of which division we’re in. At that age it’s hardly holding their careers back is it? I’d like to see a little bit of loyalty - there are very few clubs that will give so many youngsters such regular first team football before they’re only 21 years old. And I disagree that his price goes down in the summer if we’re relegated - if that’s the case, I’d keep him for another season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Max signed a 5 year deal 6 months ago. He’s still only just turned 20 I think so I’d like to think, as unreasonable as it may sound to some, that we could keep him and our other young players for another season as they develop regardless of which division we’re in. At that age it’s hardly holding their careers back is it? I’d like to see a little bit of loyalty - there are very few clubs that will give so many youngsters such regular first team football before they’re only 21 years old. And I disagree that his price goes down in the summer if we’re relegated - if that’s the case, I’d keep him for another season. 

Here’s a reason - Not sure what Aaron’s is on a week guessing it definitely won’t be more than £50 k a week. Abraham’s and Hudson Adoy are similar sort of ages but Abraham’s won’t sign another Chelsea contract until they offer him the same as Hudson - £188,000 per week. Whatever the rights and wrongs unfortunately clubs of our size cannot compete on salaries and a footballers career is short. Just like us players have their whole life to consider and I can’t see loyalty or playing all the time as part of any consideration, those days have long gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Completely agree. 

I can't see any first team player leaving in January. This is one of the main reasons players were put onto long term contracts - It protects the club against losing players on form during the January window, unless the bid is huge. I can quite imagine provisional agreements were put in place with the likes of Godfrey and Aarons that bids will be considered in summer. 

Our policy of long term contracts is first and foremost to protect the club, and to ensure at the very least market value transfer fees. The duration of the contract is completely irrelevant in terms of how long the player will stay at the club. I fully expect Aarons and Godfrey to be sold in the summer. 

Same here, nobody to go in January but one or two in the summer.

55 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Alex i would love to keep all the youngsters BUT 

if we go down and Liverpool , Spurs ,Man utd etc plus big clubs aboard are interested and bidding would he be happy playing in the championship i doubt it ,

Also if given the chance to earn x5 ,x6 ,x7 times what he is on now for the next 5 years 

also he is 20 but will he play until he is 32 or will he get a Ashton type injury and be finished young ? ( I DO HOPE NOT ) chances to earn that type of money rarely come along and that is what if it was me would be thinking 

footballers careers can be finished in a flash , 

• Like 1

Was 4/1 to sign with Spurs this window with Sky bet when I saw the other day. 

Today that has gone down to 1/3...

This would indicate that a lot of money has gone on this over the last few days.

Read into that what you will - could be a lot of money wasted!

30 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

This would indicate that a lot of money has gone on this over the last few days.

Does this coincide with all of the coverage sky were giving Aarons of late, which in no way could possibly have influenced people's betting, especially as they only have a few (dozen) adverts for sky bet embedded in every story...

7 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Spotted at the Tottenham Asda !

7 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Maybe Delia’s had a cheeky couple million at 4/1 knowing she’s going to sell to Spurs?😉👍

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Maybe Delia’s had a cheeky couple million at 4/1 knowing she’s going to sell to Spurs?😉👍

Cunning, if highly illegal.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Cunning, if highly illegal.

Argh but if it’s done through a third party in the Far East, then put through with the washing would that be OK? 😂
Then we could invite that third party to become our stinking rich foreign investor! Win win.......👍😉

Edited by Indy

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

Are they loaning him back to us?

That’s a great idea, I’m surprised it hasn’t been raised earlier.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Looks like a sale with loan back to me.

Why would they loan him back to you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete Campbell said:

Loan back for the rest of the season could suit all parties

Yeah, i'm just relieved that we're allowed to have him loaned back to us. Thankfully i've not heard from anyone anywhere that it's not allowed, so....

Word on the street is Tottenham are after Cancelo from Man City who can play RB. Im assuming they've been priced out of a move for Aarons this window, if there were any truth in the rumours. I don't expect him to move until the summer at the earliest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Word on the street is Tottenham are after Cancelo from Man City who can play RB. Im assuming they've been priced out of a move for Aarons this window, if there were any truth in the rumours. I don't expect him to move until the summer at the earliest.

Yeah, but are they loaning him back?

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Yeah, but are they loaning him back?

No need, I heard they are gonna give us 10 mill and let us keep him,  forever. 

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

No need, I heard they are gonna give us 10 mill and let us keep him,  forever. 

So they're loaning us 10m?

If we fail to win tomorrow, let’s face it, we’re down. So we may as well cash in on him at a hugely inflated fee as we will at some point anyway. Byram at RB and Lewis LB for the rest of the season. 

I fully expect us to win though, leading to a miraculous revival, another season in the Prem and all our key players staying to enjoy the ride! 

Edited by Clint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clint said:

If we fail to win tomorrow, let’s face it, we’re down. So we may as well cash in on him at a hugely inflated fee as we will at some point anyway. Byram at RB and Lewis LB for the rest of the season. 
I fully expect us to win though, leading to a miraculous revival, another season in the Prem and all our key players staying to enjoy the ride! 

Won't accept the first sentence (surprise surprise!).  We still have it within us to beat teams and there are still games enough to pull it off - even with a loss tomorrow. We can beat anyone.....we just haven't done enough of it....yet! 

Edited by lake district canary

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Won't accept the first sentence (surprise surprise!).  We still have it within us to beat teams and there are still games enough to pull it off - even with a loss tomorrow. We can beat anyone.....we just haven't done enough of it....yet! 

If we lose tomorrow Lakey can we have a rallying call please within twenty minutes on a new thread ? Personally I like them as it softens the blow slightly and a few hours entertainment are guaranteed with the replies. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I hear you Lakey. But we absolutely have to win v Bournemouth. Enough of this jam tomorrow. 

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If we lose tomorrow Lakey can we have a rallying call please within twenty minutes on a new thread ? Personally I like them as it softens the blow slightly and a few hours entertainment are guaranteed with the replies. 

No.

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No.

Is that a refusal  to  be positive  in the face of reality,  or are you saying you'll leave it 25 rather than 20 mins before telling us all that it ain't over yet. Just a thought,  were you once in a monty python  film? You know the one, king Arthur  , where the guy claims that having his arms chopped off is just a scratch.

The Black knight, more positive  than Lakeyo.