Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Given up

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

So have we made the wrong investment? Was the old policy of putting every last penny into the first team actually right? To be fair most thought so at the time, then didn't of course when it failed, but now has that pendulum swung again?

Norwich putting every last penny into the first team was the old policy ? Maybe for 1 window but please don’t make it sound like it was a regular theme . Thought the chief of message board police would be slightly more factual. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich putting every last penny into the first team was the old policy ? Maybe for 1 window but please don’t make it sound like it was a regular theme . Thought the chief of message board police would be slightly more factual. 

That was McNally's policy from day one. Stated openly at fans forums and agms. Applauded by many posters in here as well. Including me. We thought it was the only way.. 

What did you think it was? 

Message board police because what I post doesn't fit with what you believe?

Ok....

Well it was policy that didn’t really come to fruition Wasn’t it . So please produce one of your amazing lists to back your statement up. I doubt we have a trading surplus on players then in the last 16 years with all McNally’s spending. 

If we can hang on to our players for the rest of this season it would be good as a lot of them will be trying to put themselves in the shop window as is already happening with this transfer window , emi has greatly improved as has todd

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Is this 5 year plan the one McNally started or are we resetting it everytime it goes wrong? Also if it's a 5 year plan why is the architect leaving after 4 years? Has the goals of this plan been published? What do people thing is the end games / what does success look like? Genuinely what is it?

This is Webber's 3rd year, so his contract would take him to 5 years. 

Although I agree that I'm not sure what the plan can achieve with 2 years left. Maybe rebuild the city stand and then Tom Smith becomes owner? That could be the plan? 

21 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That was McNally's policy from day one. Stated openly at fans forums and agms. Applauded by many posters in here as well. Including me. We thought it was the only way.. 

What did you think it was? 

Message board police because what I post doesn't fit with what you believe?

Ok....

Of course it was the policy. Not just stated ad infinitum but carried out. Which is mainly why there was no serious thought to increasing capacity and why Colney got neglected.

25 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

If we can hang on to our players for the rest of this season it would be good as a lot of them will be trying to put themselves in the shop window as is already happening with this transfer window , emi has greatly improved as has todd

I don't believe they trying to put themselves in a shop window. They'll be playing the  best they can for themselves and the club.

I struggle with them the “if we’d invested a bit of money in 1/2/3 decent upgrades, we’d be staying up” argument. We invested in Fahrmann, Amadou, Byram, Drmic and Roberts, they don’t seemed to have helped much. There’s a massive assumption that the mythical upgrades would have fitted in with the team and performed better than the players they replaced. I think we can look at any team’s transfer dealings and see that sure things often turn out to be expensive mistakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did take out a loan...

20 million or thereabouts. Mainly to cover the payments we owed others on promotion, I believe.

I guess what people are alluding to is that we should have taken out some more?? Pretty certain we would have crucifed ourselves financially if so.

https://norwich.vitalfootball.co.uk/its-all-about-the-money-for-norwich-city-and-more-importantly-how-to-spend-it/

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Of course it was the policy. Not just stated ad infinitum but carried out. Which is mainly why there was no serious thought to increasing capacity and why Colney got neglected.

Indeed it was. All the balance sheets and AGM reports back that up. Most people supported it too. Until it went wrong. At that point they agreed with Webber that the money has been peed up the wall and loved that other parts of the club had been invested in. Until now when they say it should have been peed up the wall.

The problem is it can only be spent once so if you always hanker after the opposite you will never be happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well it was policy that didn’t really come to fruition Wasn’t it . So please produce one of your amazing lists to back your statement up. I doubt we have a trading surplus on players then in the last 16 years with all McNally’s spending. 

So where did the money go then. The balance sheets say player budget. You say?

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I struggle with them the “if we’d invested a bit of money in 1/2/3 decent upgrades, we’d be staying up” argument. We invested in Fahrmann, Amadou, Byram, Drmic and Roberts, they don’t seemed to have helped much. There’s a massive assumption that the mythical upgrades would have fitted in with the team and performed better than the players they replaced. I think we can look at any team’s transfer dealings and see that sure things often turn out to be expensive mistakes. 

Good post, I was thinking along the same lines as I read through the thread.

If we had only spent £40 million purchasing Amadou, Fahrmann and Roberts instead of getting them in on loan then those complaining about lack of investment would be happy now.

Would they not?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So where did the money go then. The balance sheets say player budget. You say?

There’s the question but not just on  players wages and recruitment. Maybe a lot have walked away with very fat wallets and doing very little. 

5 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I've been watching Norwich for 48 seasons now

Me too, my first game was also in 1972 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s the question but not just on  players wages and recruitment. Maybe a lot have walked away with very fat wallets and doing very little. 

Do you're now saying all the money did go on the player budget?

Well I never!

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Jez Moxey for one.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Do you're now saying all the money did go on the player budget?

Well I never!

Clearly not . Thought you were off the 🍺 

29 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Jez Moxey for one.

Any idea exactly how much  Moxey took for his rather brief  stint.

Edited by wcorkcanary

31 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Jez Moxey for one.

Good job that Ed Balls saw him off and instituted the change of policy that brought in a Sporting Director. Even more importantly Balls then went and got the perfect man for the job in Stuart Webber. 👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Clearly not . Thought you were off the 🍺 

You'd never believe it but I guessed that.

So where did the money go? Are you clinging to Tilly's Moxey raft? How else was that supposed to be funded...

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You'd never believe it but I guessed that.

So where did the money go? Are you clinging to Tilly's Moxey raft? How else was that supposed to be funded...

Your right I don’t believe it. Have a break from here for an hour and watch the the One show or a soap.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We have the best owners in English football.This is the best message board in the world too so why be so negative? 

Really. I’ll have some of what you’re on!

6 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Really. I’ll have some of what you’re on!

I'd guess the way he goes on either cocaine or, more likely, amphetamines.

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Your right I don’t believe it. Have a break from here for an hour and watch the the One show or a soap.

I'm banned from the wife's tv since I drew those lines on the screen.

There's some good stuff on the wireless tonight....

30 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Any idea exactly how much  Moxey took for his rather brief  stint.

£750k for 6 months.

Edited by TIL 1010

Norwich City’s accounts highlighted a £712,000 payout to former chief executive Jez Moxey when he left after six months, having already drawn some £417,000 in wages – coming to £6,488 per day.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But was that 750k for 6 months better than keeping him and spending it over a much longer time?

Quite correct, excellent service and value for money. Would he have been willing to stay for the year for double ?