Sign in to follow this  
che wilson

worthy can spend money well.

i am sick of people saying that we shouldn''t sell ashton for (it has to be said, a very reasonable) 8 million pounds, simply due to the myth that worthy cannot spend money. this is not true. simply not true. like all football managers, he has made good and less-than-good signings. but he has so rarely ever made a big purchase, that you just cannot make this claim. its ludicrous.

look at the facts. the only ''big money'' (not in the chelsea sense of the word) signings he has ever made have been:

1) ashton : 3mill. Noone can dispute this was a good move.

2) jonson : about a million. didnt set the prem alight, but worthy got his money back on him.

3) doherty : again, about a million. arguably our best player this season so far.

4) huckerby : undisclosed, but probably about a million again. no comments needed.

aside from that, what is there to base your judgement on? the closest after that to a big money signing i think was the 500k spent on hughes, and also on safri. hughes we probably paid too much for looking at the evidence so far, but safri was a bargain, so they cancel each other out.

look at the facts, before moaning about worthy wasting money. he has his faults, certainly, but this just isn''t one of them.

by the way, web team, why do i need to start a new account everytime i want to send a message? this has been the case ever since the website makeover. this is my fourth new account. sort it out, please...

You seem to have conveniently forgotten about some of the other 40 or so who have done bugger all at the club, had no skill or never played, or were just released on a free because they were not deemed good enough (usually all of those)

I would not want Worthington going anywhere near that money. Like someone said on Canary Call, put the money away, get rid of Worthington, and then rebuild the squad in the Summer. And I couldn''t agree more.

Hughes - crap

Jarrett - crap

Louis Jean - lost

Colin - crap

Etuhu - crap

Robinson - below average

Thorne - over the hill

Marney - average

Lisbie - crap

Davenport - ok

Wright - ok

Plus he would have spent £2 million on Morrison , enough said dont give this man millions to spend .

[quote user="che wilson"]

i am sick of people saying that we shouldn''t sell ashton for (it has to be said, a very reasonable) 8 million pounds, simply due to the myth that worthy cannot spend money. this is not true. simply not true. like all football managers, he has made good and less-than-good signings. but he has so rarely ever made a big purchase, that you just cannot make this claim. its ludicrous.

look at the facts. the only ''big money'' (not in the chelsea sense of the word) signings he has ever made have been:

2) jonson : about a million. didnt set the prem alight, but worthy got his money back on him.

3) doherty : again, about a million. arguably our best player this season so far.

4) huckerby : undisclosed, but probably about a million again. no comments needed.

aside from that, what is there to base your judgement on? the closest after that to a big money signing i think was the 500k spent on hughes, and also on safri. hughes we probably paid too much for looking at the evidence so far, but safri was a bargain, so they cancel each other out.

look at the facts, before moaning about worthy wasting money. he has his faults, certainly, but this just isn''t one of them.

by the way, web team, why do i need to start a new account everytime i want to send a message? this has been the case ever since the website makeover. this is my fourth new account. sort it out, please...

[/quote]

I tend to agree with your comments  , by the way ,re having to start a new account  etc , it might just  be youir puter deleting all cookies  every time you swich off ! check your " internet options "

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

You seem to have conveniently forgotten about some of the other 40 or so who have done bugger all at the club, had no skill or never played, or were just released on a free because they were not deemed good enough (usually all of those)

I would not want Worthington going anywhere near that money. Like someone said on Canary Call, put the money away, get rid of Worthington, and then rebuild the squad in the Summer. And I couldn''t agree more.

[/quote]

Well spotted alex. It seems premier that you have given a very one sided account of worthys signings. How about, briggs, heckingbottom, charlton, etuhu, jarret, brennan, rivers, easton, thorne, etc, etc.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

Alex and Prem 1,

If you read Che''s post properly you will see that he is NOT talking about all of his signings but the ones he spent significant money on.[/quote]

Well correct me if i''m wrong but didn''t we spend £500k on Rivers? Over half a million on Emblen? This was very significant money at the time, as we were hardly well off. And would you really call Jonson a success? I liked the bloke and was committed, but a success he was not (mainly because of the manager''s incompetance) He wasted the Premiership money on players who weren''t upto the task. Hughes a success at half a million pounds? Don''t make me laugh.

The amount of money he has spent combined on all those such as the players Matt mentions, both fees and wages, is not small. It''s a joke. Especially as he is so reluctant to even use them and just ships them out without a second thought. But oh yeah, of course, that''s because if you don''t do as Worthy says or if you don''t agree with him, then you''re out on your arse.

Get rid of this joke of a manager now. In fact, it defies all logic to even call him a manager. Almost wet myself when they interviewed Adie Boothroyd and he mentioned Worthy''s "good man-management".

The ones he spent money on that Che Wilson states -

Ashton - Liverpool wanted him at the start of last season, but opted for Cisse as he was more experienced in Europe. Anyone could see that an England Under 21 20 plus-goal striker for that money was good business.

Jonsson - dross. Sent packing after a season.

Doherty- great in the Championship, but poo in the Prem. Who wants to see players good in the Championship but not performing at the highest level that we havent waited 9 long tortuous years? (I almost mentioned a certain Northern Irish manager then *shudder*) Not me - I want to see quality purchases performing well in the Prem.

Hucks - well, getting a £5m striker for £750k IS good. And he did get us promoted.

That makes a 50 per cent success rate. Mmmm

You forgot Leon and Sven who were excellent buys too but i agree, apart from Deano and Doc, his recent acquistions have been poor.

He sold Jonson who i think would have been excellent in this league and he wanted to stay, and has not replaced Bentley in any way at all.

What is most worrying is that Worthy seems to have run out of new ideas on how to change things.

We were willing to pay the money but his record in the championship for his age would tell anyone he wasn''t a flash in the pan.

Done nothing in his time here and getting 700k back doesn''t really help you when you''ve been relegated.

Bought when we were top flight and had a reputation of being pretty bad as a defender, Worthy plays him as a striker and the results were not good. Being our best player this season is not hard condsidering those around him.

Already proven at championship level as a match winner, a monkey could have told anyone this.

I look at other clubs in this division and they manage to bring in players from lower leagues who do the business. We end up with Keith Briggs and end up paying over £150k for 2 games.

Let''s face it the scouting and worthy''s judgement are pretty poor and this season has proved it.

Any manager worth his salt should be able to bring in quality when there''s significant money to spend - its when the budget is tight and bargain players need to be found that Worthy is awful! Nearly all of his cheaper players and frees/loans have been poor and haven''t added to the squad. There are some great bargains to be had in the lower leagues - Halford, Eastwood, Chorley, Chambers, Fryatt to name a few but Worthy seems incapable of finding them!

I disagree, Now that we’ve ALMOST sold Green and Deano, please Delia open up a high interest account and put the millions in until we have a new manager or at least someone who we can trust with the money, I’d even be happier to pay off some of the debit, improvements to the ground maybe but please don’t give it to Worthy to spend on more useless talent !!

We can all spend well if we buy what WE like.

I am prepared to accept any transfer monies received being banked to save interest payments on loans and youth being used for the rest of a season where we are likely to finish mid-table.

The only possible saving grace, infact the last throw of the dice is for three or four quality ''hungry like Watford'' young players coming in as part of a re-building.

it is crazy to talk about re-building when we should have been developing but there it is.

ok this is why I worry

Look at what peter reid did with 19 million!!!

Player From Fee Date

Phil Babb Sporting Lisbon Free 01-07-2002

Thomas Myhre Besiktas Free 10-07-2002

Stephen Wright Liverpool £ 3000000 15-08-2002

Matt Piper Leicester £ 3500000 21-08-2002

Tore-Andre Flo Rangers £ 6750000 30-08-2002

Marcus Stewart Ipswich £ 3250000 30-08-2002

Mart Poom Derby £ 2500000 10-01-2003

Total: £ 19000000

so it is quite possibe that worthy could waste our money.

ALSO cardiff are selling jerome so they can buy Koumas!!! arent they kinda saying something there

2.5 million for half a season!! im not sure he is such a great purchase

We need both jerome and koumas, that might solve some of the problems, but I still think we should just hold on until the end of the season. As yesterday I left with the same feeling as when we threw away the Man City game last season, a major turning point of last year.  Deep down in my hearts of hearts I think the season is over. We would be very lucky to get into the play-offs now. we may have a late push and come really close but I think we must now cut out losses renew our season tickets and build for August!!

But as the song goes

"...Peter Reid has got a monkeys head, has got a monkeys head, has got a monkeys head....."

However, as the scum fans chant..

"...Nigel Worthington has got a sheeps head...."

When Worthy has spent large sums, he has bought well