Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

VAR less on Sat

Three goals would have been disallowed with VAR, apparently all the officials were from the Premier League so are they losing their skills ?

To put it bluntly... No.

Most of them never had any skills! Hence the reason VAR was introduced in the first place. To help officials to stop getting decisions wrong. Unfortunately it's being used in a bizarre manner and clearly isn't really helping. Unless you happen to be LiVARpool.

But, no VAR at Preston meant we got away with one, in my opinion, which was the move that led to Idah's penalty. What were the other two?

The top flight assistants are not flagging for marginal calls, the idea is that VAR will make the decision.  Now when they officiate at a VAR-less stadium, they are likely to let things go that they may have called in the past.  Alex Neil complained about this in his post-match interview, but it was misinterpreted by the MotD pundits to be a VAR / No-VAR in the FA Cup depending on the stadium comment.

So you can't change the VAR rules halfway through a season but you can have a competition where some games have VAR and others don't have VAR.

Then the refs don't look at a screen and now they, or at least one of them, does.

The whole thing has been rushed in without any prior thought at all.

You couldn't make it up.

Forget the wether the decisions were right or not. I am sure I speak for all that were there ( including the players and coaches ) from Norwich, in that we could actually celebrate a goal again. If only for 1 game ( who knows what the draw will throw up ) we got our football back.

It was a much more enjoyable game without VAR, Idahs run for the pen would,I feel , have been called offside by VAR, but in real time,I'm not surprised that it wasnt flagged. 

I slagged a poster off yesterday for living in the past, now I feel as if I want to go back to.pre VAR days, no, actually I dont, I just want VAR scrapped for now then reintroduced in a much more free flow version. I dont want the clear and obvious ignored, but I do want borderline offsidedecisions taken in the old fashioned way.....advantage to the attacker. 

• Like 2

How on earth can you have a cup competition when some games are subject to VAR and others are not. It should be a level playing field for all involved.

What happens for the semi finals and final at Wembley, is there VAR installed there ?

44 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

So you can't change the VAR rules halfway through a season but you can have a competition where some games have VAR and others don't have VAR.

Then the refs don't look at a screen and now they, or at least one of them, does.

You couldn't make it up.

Yeah I thought this was bizarre and confusing too!

"You have the tech at your ground so we'll use it for the cup. Umm... Yeah, sounds like a good idea!"

However, I believe Michael Oliver caused waves by going over to look at a pitchside monitor. In reality, this is what the refs SHOULD be doing in ALL games and not letting some **** a few hundred miles away judge the situation.

• Like 3

It’s simple really, VAR should either be used in all the games or none.  The bits and pieces thing we had at the weekend is ridiculous...but par for the course.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

How on earth can you have a cup competition when some games are subject to VAR and others are not. It should be a level playing field for all involved.

What happens for the semi finals and final at Wembley, is there VAR installed there ?

Yes Wembley has VAR technology.

26 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yes, Wembley does have VAR. But the point still stands. It's nonsensical to have some matches subject to VAR and not others. Even weirder to think that in the case of replays one fixture might be with VAR and the replay without...

I borrowed the kids felt tips, pressed pause, and drew lines on my TV. I can assure you that none of our goals were offside however mrs nutty is up the pole and not coming down any time soon...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Evening All, I've heard  Sloughbottom Park  is quite a level  playing  field,  why not  hold the entire competition there, no VAR  and all those third rate players  who get a run out in the cup  will feel  right at home 

Edited by wcorkcanary

2 hours ago, Making Plans said:

You couldn't make it up.

The point that Alex Neil made was a bit heat of the moment . I didn’t think there is much proof that lino’s don’t flag? The Lino did twice against Spurs (one was when Dele Ali “scored”) and of course they did flag against Palace . 

The pitch side screen was resisted by PGMOL - Riley was on a mission. It was always going to come in as it is all over the FIFA world. If nothing else the fans in the ground know what’s going on . 

Riley is a moron and will step down over it . 

I fail to see why the fact that VAR was used for some games and not for others is causing such a concern to people.  All that matters is that their is level playing field for the two teams competing in each match.

1 hour ago, Matt Juler said:

I fail to see why the fact that VAR was used for some games and not for others is causing such a concern to people.  All that matters is that their is level playing field for the two teams competing in each match.

Surely it has to be a competition rule? It may only matter to the two teams during the game. But the outcome of one round surely affects the next?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Surely it has to be a competition rule? It may only matter to the two teams during the game. But the outcome of one round surely affects the next?

It's just one of so many variables.  The on pitch officials, the weather, injuries, the list is endless...

In my mind it would be silly to have the technology at a ground and not use it, so I have no concerns* with it being used if available.  It's just the same at Wimbledon for the tennis, only six of the 18 courts have Hawk-Eye, but I don't see people moaning about it like all the fuss VAR / No-VAR is causing.

* Just to clarify I have many concerns about VAR regarding the implementation, not the general use of it per-se.