Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Deepdale today - has FA cup lost it's shine?

Shocking turn out from the homeĀ supporters - just over 7000. More empty seats in the stadium than full.

We can moan and groan all we want about our team - but we have never had that level of poor support - they didn't even sing until the second half!

I heard on the radio that it has been similar scenes in other grounds. Why would you not want to see your team play in the FA Cup, especially if they were playing a premier league team?

If teams consistently play weakened sides then eventually support for the whole competition is going to drop off, other than with the minnows where the effect will probably be reversed as they see greater opportunity to take a scalp of a bigger club.

The FA Cup lost its shine around 15-20 years ago. Some blame Man Utd for withdrawing in order to play some Mickey Mouse tournament on the other side of the world, whereas others (myself included) point to the fact that the money involved is so small compared to Premier League riches so every club prioritises either staying there or getting there.

And you can't really blame the Preston fans, to be honest. I reckon that if we get relegated this season and draw the Premier League's West Brom Reserves at home in the third round next year then we'd struggle to sell out as well.

The eleven biggest all time attendances at Carrow Road are all FA Cup.

Fifty or sixty years ago it was the main event and what we all anticipated. Unfortunately the big teams began using it as way to give their also rans a run out. It has never recovered its former glory.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Too much reward in the Prem now. Winning the third round of the FA nets you a colossal Ā£135,000. Even our players earn this is month.

Win the final and you get Ā£3.6m. West Brom , in the season 17/18 finished bottomĀ of the Prem and earned Ā£94m.Ā 

Money talks

Ā 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

37 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Too much reward in the Prem now. Winning the third round of the FA nets you a colossal Ā£135,000. Even our players earn this is month.

Win the final and you get Ā£3.6m. West Brom , in the season 17/18 finished bottomĀ of the Prem and earned Ā£94m.Ā 

Money talks

Ā 

To a self funding club as ourselves finishing 3rd from bottom as opposed to bottom could be the difference between promotion and not getting promoted the following season in terms of retaining/attracting better players. To a much richer club it would be about the kudos of actually winning something. Sad but the less money you have the more the conversation becomes about money.

• Like 2

Should be aĀ Champions league place for the winners (if Premier league) and aĀ Europa cup spotĀ if not. Might be less reserve teams put out if the rewards were greater.

Listened to a Villa fan on 5Live last night after they got knocked playing a weakend team against Fulham.

He summed it up pretty well and said something along the lines of "when looking back you only ever tell your children/grandchildren about the times we won cups etc, you never tell them about the times we avoided relegation"

• Like 1

I remember when the FA Cup final should've been a national holiday and the tournament itself was the cadillac of any club's season.Ā 

Now... Well, unfortunately it's little more than a hindrance these days, a fly buzzing around one's face while you're concentrating on your steak.Ā 

Long gone are the days when I'd be looking forward to 3rd round day like Christmas. Now I can't wait til we're out.Ā 

As a kid in the late,sixties, early seventies, FA Cup final day was always like a holiday in our house ,the day would revolve around it, late massive fryup, sandwiches and crisps laid out like it was a party,whoever was playing. My dad wasnt even that much of a footy fan but he loved the occasion. Of course, in those days it was one of the very few live games shown on the box which added to the excitement. We'd have theĀ  coverage on from start to finish.Ā 

• Like 2

It doesnā€™t help that everyone has played four games quickly over the festive period, of course they are going to rest players. Premier League placings and trying to get promoted are far more important than the cup nowadays unfortunately, and thatsĀ solely the fault of the PL and the ridiculous amountsĀ of money onĀ offer.Ā As for yesterday all those empty seats suggests incorrect ticket pricing to me.Ā 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

As a kid in the late,sixties, early seventies, FA Cup final day was always like a holiday in our house ,the day would revolve around it, late massive fryup, sandwiches and crisps laid out like it was a party,whoever was playing. My dad wasnt even that much of a footy fan but he loved the occasion. Of course, in those days it was one of the very few live games shown on the box which added to the excitement. We'd have theĀ  coverage on from start to finish.Ā 

After the game then the old man no doubt went out on active service to do a Brit. No surrenderĀ 

• Haha 1

I can just about remember the Cup Final 'It's A Knockout' and also used to watch all the pre match build up. I could reel off all the previous winners, nowadays I have to Google who won it last season.

Not in slightest interested now and I haven't even looked at yesterday's results. And just to add I would happily trade yesterdays win for 3 points in the PL all day long.Ā 

Nobody wants to watch reserve team football which is essentially what the competition is.

Ā 

37 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

After the game then the old man no doubt went out on active service to do a Brit. No surrenderĀ 

As it happens my old man served 22 years in the British Army, Royal Engineers , and before you say it ,no, he wasnt a spy. In fact you would have amused him with your lack of knowledge of ,well,lots of things really. He always said that a man who has no respect for his body, deserves no respect at all. It's almost as if he knew you, isn't it?

"Itā€™s a similar story inside the stadium, where only one of the four stands ā€“ the Kop ā€“ is fully open, along with a sliver of away fans in the Gil Merrick. This despite Blackburn bringing a healthy away contingent and tickets being attractively priced at Ā£12. Birminghamā€™s Twitter account was still trying to flog them early on Saturday morning."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jan/05/fa-cup-third-round-magic-birmingham-blackburn

3 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

And this is why the world is in such a poor state, to many willing to spout vitriol and poison based on limited knowledge of full facts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gromitt said:

vitriol andļ»æļ»æļ»æ ļ»æpoisonļ»æ

In this caseĀ  its Scampi and Chips but looking at the photo it could also be calledĀ  vitriol and poison.Ā 

6 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Listened to a Villa fan on 5Live last night after they got knocked playing a weakend team against Fulham.

He summed it up pretty well and said something along the lines of "when looking back you only ever tell your children/grandchildren about the times we won cups etc, you never tell them about the times we avoided relegation"

This is the way I look at it too. "Grandad, tell about the time we won the Cup" or "Grandad, tell me about the time we finished 15th". No contest.

Genuinely, given a choice between staying up or going down but winning the FA Cup, I'd take relegation and a Cup win every time.Ā 

• Like 1

Itā€™s lost itsĀ shine because teams put out reserve sides and the semis are played at Wembley.

Still throws up a good story every so often though.

25 minutes ago, Hissing Sid said:

This is the way I look at it too. "Grandad, tell about the time we won the Cup" or "Grandad, tell me about the time we finished 15th". No contest.

Genuinely, given a choice between staying up or going down but winning the FA Cup, I'd take relegation and a Cup win every time.Ā 

I think everyone feels the same, but staying up is always a far more realistic target than winning the FA Cup. As a result, it's risky and/or foolish for a club like ours to prioritise the cup because the chances of winning it are so low, and even though our survival chances are slim, they're still a lot higher than winning the FA Cup. The best chance of winning the Cup is to consolidate in the Premier League and then give it a go if/when we become an established team.

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Always BBC. Never ITV.Ā 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/17/fa-cup-final-tv-build-up

57 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think everyone feels the same, but staying up is always a far more realistic target than winning the FA Cup. As a result, it's risky and/or foolish for a club like ours to prioritise the cup because the chances of winning it are so low, and even though our survival chances are slim, they're still a lot higher than winning the FA Cup. The best chance of winning the Cup is to consolidate in the Premier League and then give it a go if/when we become an established team.

But why prioritise? Treat each game the same. 5 more wins and the Cup is in our hands.Ā 

In my head I still blame Man United for fielding weakened sides and prioritising other competitions, although it has become widespread these days thanks to the obscene quantities of money splashing around. The chances of avoiding relegation look prettyĀ bleak at the moment, so a cup run would provide a welcome distraction and keep fringe players on their toes. Even a run to the semi-final would be enjoyable and good for confidence. To go all the way might even outstrip the play-off victory against Boro! DF picked a team to win & progress yesterday. Although there were the usual concerns defensively and around central midfield, the job was done & I hope we get a favourable draw.Ā 

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

As it happens my old man served 22 years in the British Army, Royal Engineers , and before you say it ,no, he wasnt a spy. In fact you would have amused him with your lack of knowledge of ,well,lots of things really. He always said that a man who has no respect for his body, deserves no respect at all. It's almost as if he knew you, isn't it?

Good man.

And wise words indeed.

So if we get to the semi-final at Wemberleee.....then those who aren't really interested in the FA Cup won't be wanting or requiring tickets then.....Ok?

Ā 

Ā 

In the hat for the next round I personally hope we get a lower league side at Carra, then the away support will more than likely (and hoping forĀ a giant killing) take their full allocation......All kid's for a Ā£5.00 and others Ā£15.00 fill the Stadium.....I love the FA Cup, it helps the likes of lower clubs (albeit not by an exceptional amount) with their finances - and an opportunity to have a grand day out.....with all the trimmings.....and possible live TV coverage.....What's there not to like?.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Itā€™s lost itsĀ shine because teams put out reserve sides and the semis are played at Wembley.

Still throws up a good story every so often though.

Biggest own goal ever there by the F.A. For anyone with an understanding of history and especially religious history, destroying icons leads to massive trouble. Wembley was iconic, why they didn't refurbish it to retain the twin towers is beyond me. People loved the pomp and ceremony, the FA Cup wasn'tĀ about football per se, it was about giant killers, and tradition and passion and all the things good about being English. So the FA threw that all away withĀ a soulless stadium, and got into so much debt creating a soulless stadium they need to stage the semi finals there too, which destroys the "magic" that the final being at Wembley had.

The FA Cup can still excite though, the "magic" is still there for the lower league teams even in PL and Championship teams don't care about it - just ask the Fylde supporters about their experience at SheffĀ Utd. Or Northampton, or Rochdale or Tranmere.Ā 

Ā 

I am continually bemused by the wailing and moaning from Managers/Coaches. Klopp was the latest the other day.

Christmas has always been the hectic four game period. It isn't anyone's fault. Live with it. And if games are rearranged it is because of TV. And they pay the money or else you would be driving aroundĀ in a Ford Focus and living in a semi.

So which way do you want it? The ability to go out and buy some player for Ā£75M and pay them a quarter of a million a week or get your income through the turnstile and cut your cloth accordingly.

The FA Cup is the real chance for teams from all divisions and some non league, to play each other and not only an earner for the lower league team but maybe create a shock or a player appear in the shop window.

It is total disrespect and has turned a once great competition into an excuse. Until the later rounds of course when ironically the players have played even more games, when it becomes such an important trophy and a national icon.

Kippers the lot of 'em.

• Like 1

Liverpool have put out a youth/reserve side in the cup against their fierce rivals. I know theyā€™ve had a lot of games but thatā€™s ridiculous.