Icecream Snow

Norwich vs Preston Match Thread

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Water being the only draw they managed today

Fancy something a bit stronger going on the Agent’s menu tonight

On the subject of 'draws', there was a huge crowd there today proving they really are the massive draw they thought they'd be in the lower divisions.

I think draw in that sense is a euphemism for 'embarrassment'.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

You mean L1 Scum losing to L2 Exeter. 😂

Correction...... L1 Scum lost to L2 Exeter.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nothing new.

treacle attacking play.

Lemon  curd defending.

Eh? I like lemon curd. And treacle TBF. 

Good result and Idah's hatrick has given everyone a much needed boost. As mentioned we may have found our level but we can only beat what's in front of us. In the nicest possible way hopefully this means Stiepermann won't figure at centre forward again!

Edited by Capt. Pants
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

I think the likes of Gilmour and Power are the ones getting more regular game time KG (in the Dutch leagues) so not too many youngsters around the first team squad

Well that approach certainly proved effective with Todd

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not a great football match. We are still shocking at the back and Amadou doesn't look the answer in front of it. Some decent saves from McGovern or it could have been closer.

So pleased for Idah. Just wondering whether it would be worth trying Pukki in the middle and Idah up top. Need to do something.

And please get rid of zonal marking at set pieces.

What would you rather be rid of?

VAR or Zonal Marking? If you could only abolish one?!

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

What would you rather be rid of?

VAR or Zonal Marking? If you could only abolish one?!

KG would be begging for zonal marking back again if he ever saw Emi, Teemu, Max or any of our other very short players trying to man mark some 6 foot plus Premier League giant.

The issue ISN'T zonal marking - it's that we've got a very short team. 

We could easily cut down on the rate of set piece goals conceded by picking Stiepi and Denis every week and playing Amadou at right back and Godfrey at left back (when fit), but somehow I don't think KG would like that much either. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

KG would be begging for zonal marking back again if he ever saw Emi, Teemu, Max or any of our other very short players trying to man mark some 6 foot plus Premier League giant.

We could easily cut down on the rate of set piece goals conceded by picking Stiepi and Denis every week and playing Amadou at right back and Godfrey at left back (when fit), but somehow I don't think KG would like that much either. 

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

9 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Spot on. I've been saying this for months. 

I've read that statistically zonal marking is actually more successful than man-marking. The problem is that whenever a goal is scored against zonal marking it looks terrible because the defenders are all standing still and the goalscorer has got a free run.

1 hour ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

On the subject of 'draws', there was a huge crowd there today proving they really are the massive draw they thought they'd be in the lower divisions.

I think draw in that sense is a euphemism for 'embarrassment'.

Am fresh outta reactions today, Drazzer

Was not aware of that statistic

That means our away support today was more than a third of the total flocking to see the world’s most famous and most successful ever Suffolk club

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Spot on. I've been saying this for months. 

I've read that statistically zonal marking is actually more successful than man-marking. The problem is that whenever a goal is scored against zonal marking it looks terrible because the defenders are all standing still and the goalscorer has got a free run.

This a million times and essentially what you're both saying is realistically zonal marking is our only option. We can do a hybrid and combine some man marking and zonal ala some Man City tactical analysis I read once but regardless our team is shorter than most.

On the subject of zonal-

I don't buy that just because a number of our players are short, we concede more from set pieces. You only have to look at McLean's now known aerial prowess to see what a difference position, timing, attitude and a running start make; Shane Long has made a career out of a cracking aerial ability, as did Tim Cahill.

Zonal marking works by covering danger areas as fully as possible and playing the averages game; trouble is that Prem teams can find those gaps and we're simply not defensively good enough to reliably play the system. With that in mind I'd like to see a different approach, even just out of curiosity. 

3 hours ago, Renskay said:

The german lads all seemed to be a little pissed off with Leitner. Quite a few occasions where it appeared they were purposely not passing to him and one moment where he fell on the ground and Stieperman walked past him so he reached his arm out to get help but Stiepi just kept walking.

I haven't been paying attention to the gossip lately so can someone tell me what's up with Leitner?

Leitner went straight down the tunnel when the rest of the team came over to acknowledge the support. All is not well.

21 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Leitner went straight down the tunnel when the rest of the team came over to acknowledge the support. All is not well.

Perhaps he was summonsed to play today to get him in the 'window'. Shame because I was hoping everything was lovey dovey again. He might have some bridges to rebuild with the players. 

4 hours ago, Carn said:

We've also learned McGovern is still nowhere near Krul! He makes me incredibly nervous

Made some great saves second half-could have been a draw but for him.

58 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

On the subject of zonal-

I don't buy that just because a number of our players are short, we concede more from set pieces. You only have to look at McLean's now known aerial prowess to see what a difference position, timing, attitude and a running start make; Shane Long has made a career out of a cracking aerial ability, as did Tim Cahill.

Zonal marking works by covering danger areas as fully as possible and playing the averages game; trouble is that Prem teams can find those gaps and we're simply not defensively good enough to reliably play the system. With that in mind I'd like to see a different approach, even just out of curiosity. 

It's the same in football as in boxing Mason. A good big'un will always beat a good littl'un. And in the Premier League the big'uns tend to be good! 

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's the same in football as in boxing Mason. A good big'un will always beat a good littl'un. And in the Premier League the big'uns tend to be good! 

I'm not saying that it doesn't make a difference, but it isn't like we're seeing these Premier League goliaths soaring through our penalty box 6ft feet in the air scoring headers. It's almost always a smaller player getting a running start on statues or a poor clearance falling to an unmarked opponent 10 yards from goal.

I personally believe that more a more player-focused approach would dampen these opportunities.

Edited by Mason 47

58 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Perhaps he was summonsed to play today to get him in the 'window'. Shame because I was hoping everything was lovey dovey again. He might have some bridges to rebuild with the players. 

Actually might not be bad-Buendia did the same after the Everton game, he is back in the fold now 👍

On 04/01/2020 at 22:10, Mr Angry said:

Actually might not be bad-Buendia did the same after the Everton game, he is back in the fold now 👍

What is causing the divide between Leitner and the team though? Has he stated he wants to leave?

As I said it was noticeable that the German players were visibly upset with him for no apparent reason. Hernandez, Trybull and Stieperman all being very cold. 

My immediate thought is that he must have criticized the club in some way in German expecting the others to be on board with him and not care but they clearly don't like whatever he's done because visual signs of anger towards him were obviously there.

Edited by Renskay