Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Tettey - His upgrade in passing/composure

Although most have acknowledge that Tettey has played well this season, I haven't read much about specifically how much his passing and composure have improved this season. 

Watching him closely in the last few games, he is now much less prone to a panic pass and now capable of doing a dummy half-turn and playing play-maker esque passes at times (see assist for recent Pukki goal as example). This is something that has clearly been coached into him, as up until now he had never shown signs of ability to do this. He had always been great at screening the defence but to add this to his game at his age is great credit to both himself and the coaching team. Long may it continue. 

As a sidenote, in the past 3 weeks, he has also completed 85+ minutes in 5 games (the other being 75 minutes against Villa when chasing the game), making a mockery of 'he can't play 2 games in a week'. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You can tell it's something he's worked incredibly hard on.  I was worried when he joined that he couldn't do anything to a football except rocket it into the stands (or the top corner occasionally).  But it can't be said enough:  A model pro, who we're lucky to have.

I think the movement & technical ability of players around him has a lot to do with it. In previous seasons his options have been limited & his only choice was a short pass to someone in a marginally better position. But the cumulative effect of better players & better coaching has improved his self-confidence no end. I've always considered him to be one of those rare players who has more ability than he thinks he has.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 3

I think his PL experience coupled with coaching to Farke's style has brought this out of him.

It's often said the better players seem to have more time on the ball, and usually this 'luck' comes down to good positioning or intelligence. Take Buendia, who was far too loose in position early this season but has now worked out the knack of getting in between the ball and his marker, and we've seen massive improvements.

Agree with all of the above and would also add that perhaps under Farke's system Tettey has been given more freedom and confidence to play creatively than under previous managers.

I think his pass % has been pretty consistent since he's been with us. Always in the 80's. Admittedly it's risen a bit and he does appear more composed - but he's always been a very good player for us.

This gives a good indication to his consistency for us:

Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 15.37.04.png

What the table doesn't capture is the effectiveness of those passes. And it's that quality which has definitely improved.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think his pass % has been pretty consistent since he's been with us. Always in the 80's. Admittedly it's risen a bit and he does appear more composed - but he's always been a very good player for us.

Isn't that because his role was always to win the ball back then just give it to the nearest yellow shirt to do something with it. He was never one for the adventurous pass or to run with the ball any further than he had to.

• Like 1

Model Pro. Great servant and playing with assurity using his expirience intelligently. Passing and confidence on the ball he looks great. Even his shots have improved, unlucky not to have 2 more recently. Definitely suits the system and we look better with him in the team. Well worth his place imho. 

• Like 1

One of my favourite ever signings. Always felt that he is a gentleman and has felt honoured to play for us. His performances this year have been of a high standard. Loved his reaction (kissing the CR pitch) after his most recent goal.

What a player for City he is. Was almost written off and has come back as a hugely important member of the squad. I love Alex and his professional attitude, one of the best.

Just now, sonyc said:

One of my favourite ever signings. Always felt that he is a gentleman and has felt honoured to play for us. His performances this year have been of a high standard. Loved his reaction (kissing the CR pitch) after his most recent goal.

Exactly, has always been a terrific player for us but many at Carrow Road seem to have only realised it relatively recently (similar to the way many didn't rate Howson until he was out of the team injured for 3 months or so and our performances immediately dropped off a cliff!).

But it is also true that Tettey has improved even further under Farke, both in his performances and his ability to play - 2/3 years ago we were told he would struggle to play every week and it was impossible for him to play twice in a week!

Wonderful servant who has proved a terrific signing!

Still one of our best players even though his legs have gone! - In fact I'd make him a strong contender for PotS if he carries on as he has!

Another player in the Gary Docherty/ Russell Martin category in that many fans will say hes rubbish till their blue in the face but in reality is one of our better players. Vastly under rated by many but people forget Hughton signed him in 2012 to strengthen a side who'd just came 12th in the Premiership!

Great passer cause he keeps it simple, very good positional and reader of the game and strong physically. If he had super pace we'd of never seen him at Norwich!

Absolutely deserves a new one year deal at the end of the season

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 2

Mad to think he might retire soon, I’d certainly love to keep him here longer if he’s happy and his body can take it

40 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Great passer cause he keeps it simple, very good positional and reader of the game and strong physically. If he had super pace we'd of never seen him at Norwich!

The one thing Tettey didn't have in his game prior to Farke coming here was the ability to pass a ball more than two or three yards. This area of his game has improved considerably over the last two seasons.It first came noticeably when he was playing with Lietner,they formed a very good partnership. 

He is certainly a far better player now than 2 seasons ago

Edited by Grumpy

I think Alex may be responsible for a Pinkun Message Board first.

Surely the longest thread ever where everybody seems to be in total agreement. 😆 😉

• Haha 1

Funny  that his highest pass completion rate was during the  keep possession  mid table side to side season. Method in Farkes Madness?

The other thing that has improved is the number of times he is getting booked. It used to be he would get a yellow more games than not and always had a suspension. Now it hardly ever happens.

such an influential player, I so hope we can keep him for another year.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think Alex may be responsible for a Pinkun Message Board first.

Surely the longest thread ever where everybody seems to be in total agreement. 😆 😉

Sorry TL. 😳

Last season I would have agreed, and I still admire him hugely especially as a bit of a sceptic until then. But the last couple of games he seems to me to have reverted to the short, over-hit pass to the nearest team mate, which might make his stats look good but does nothing for us. The number of times he received a pass against Spurs and immediately sent it back, hard, to whoever had passed to him was, well, a lot.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry TL. 😳

Last season I would have agreed, and I still admire him hugely especially as a bit of a sceptic until then. But the last couple of games he seems to me to have reverted to the short, over-hit pass to the nearest team mate, which might make his stats look good but does nothing for us. The number of times he received a pass against Spurs and immediately sent it back, hard, to whoever had passed to him was, well, a lot.

It was too good to last. 😂 😅

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

The other thing that has improved is the number of times he is getting booked. It used to be he would get a yellow more games than not and always had a suspension. Now it hardly ever happens.

A lot of this was down to how much he was having to try to cover the defence, and often needing to make 'professional fouls' because of it.

Tettey certainly isn't a nasty or vindictive player, but with such an unreliable defence at times, he's had to take the hit for their benefit.

• Like 1