Sign in to follow this  
JF

F.A Cup

Probably a unpopular opinion but I would love to see us take this competition seriously this season. In all likelihood we are going to be relegated, and with that relegation this group of talented players will be broken up. This is the most talented group of players and management we’ve had in decades so what more a fitting legacy for them than to go out and win something. I believe this squad is more than capable of doing that.
Managers, players and Premier league campaigns will come and go but if they could achieve winning this tournament their legacy will live forever at the club.

• Like 4

Going to be a tough game, depends how Preston view the game in respect of hoping to make the playoffs. Would like to see us take the FA Cup seriously as winning can give us at least some momentum going into the next games. Probably won’t happen though

1 minute ago, JF said:

Probably a unpopular opinion but I would love to see us take this competition seriously this season. In all likelihood we are going to be relegated, and with that relegation this group of talented players will be broken up. This is the most talented group of players and management we’ve had in decades so what more a fitting legacy for them than to go out and win something. I believe this squad is more than capable of doing that.
Managers, players and Premier league campaigns will come and go but if they could achieve winning this tournament their legacy will live forever at the club.

There's no point in not going for it, I agree!   Make this our priority.     

As for breaking up this group, can't see that happening as it would go against the philosophy, the club won't want to lose them and there would have no hiding place.   The players owe the club and SW / DF for their opportunity, are on long contracts and we have to hold them to those agreements.   We are on the right path and they are loved by the fans, no need to leave. 

Finding Buendia to replace Maddison was a masterstroke but law of averages says it won't happen that effectively again.   We have to keep him.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

As for breaking up this group, can't see that happening as it would go against the philosophy, the club won't want to lose them and there would have no hiding place.   The players owe the club and SW / DF for their opportunity, are on long contracts and we have to hold them to those agreements.   We are on the right path and they are loved by the fans, no need to leave. 

Finding Buendia to replace Maddison was a masterstroke but law of averages says it won't happen that effectively again.   We have to keep him.  

That’s all very true but I’m sure when their agents tell them what salaries are on offer they will want to leave. Anyway, Norwich City F. A Cup winners 2020 here we come!

• Like 1

To be fair, Daniel Farke has always gone for it in the cups. In fact I would even go as far to suggest, more than any Norwich manager in recent decades. I hope too we can have a good run.

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

So our players will be saying can’t accept doubling my salary as I owe Norwich ?. You are right we are not a selling club, but fortunately / unfortunately which ever way you look at it Farke has moved a number of these players to a new level. Their contracts here stopped them going to Bournemouth, Watford ect it is however a situation where it was never designed to compete with Wolves / Leicester let alone Liverpool / Spurs.

Am going to this match and I hope I will see as many subsidiary players as possible.  The rest need a break imo, after the last few days.  Chance for Idah to have a start, as I think Srbeny is slightly injured (?).  Also, a chance for Vrancic and Lewis to get a bit more match fit, Hernandez to have a good go from the start after having not played as much as the others recently, Amadou,  Heisse, Leitner too. McGovern too (Fahrman injured?).

On the other hand, if Farke is going to go for it and if he chooses the first eleven, I'll be just as pleased to see that too.  Preston will play a slightly weaker team, so pragmatism will probably rule both clubs. Still want to win it of course!

I imagine we will see a number of changes - the christmas schedule kind of dictates that.

But Farke has always taken them seriously since hes been here so no reason to think he wont now.

• Like 1

Well we seem to be heading for relegation so we may as well give the Cup a go. Would like to see Idah and Famewo given a run out and it would be interesting to see if we can beat a Championship team.

The club owe to the supporters to take it seriously. Everyone has had the same busy period, it has always been that way and we have eight less league games this season. Damn the Torpedoes, go for it.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

We could have 11 changes and still put out a competitive team

Have you been drinking ?

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Have you been drinking ?

Not at all, all the subs play, add in players that didn’t make the bench and we could get a result. I am presuming Alex Neil will make changes too though.

I'm also going and would like to see a sensibly competitive game. Rest Pukki, Buendia and Tettey (in that order of priority) but anyone else is fine to start. I'd like to see Amadou and Leitner start centrally together for this one.

I think we should give Tettey, Pukki, Max and Emi a rest for this one. Give Idah a start up front and give Lewis, Onel, Trybull and Amadou starts.

Other than that we are actually quite limited in terms of the changes we can make. 

10 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

Pukki ruled out (also a doubt for the Man Utd game).

Better get that new forward in then eh ?

Sounds like Idah will be making a starting bow against Preston then. 

We've gone from having 3 out of 4 centre halves injured at the same time, to 3 out of 4 strikers injured at the same time. 

Fährmann being injured every time he would have an opportunity to play makes his expensive loan fee look a bit silly really.

49 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

If it’s a draw at full time, is it :

a replay

extra time then replay

penalties

extra time then penalties 

Straight replay in this round I believe 

Both Sberny and Pukki are injured for this and Pukki is a doubt for Man U away. Idah is the only fit forward available 

35 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Fährmann being injured every time he would have an opportunity to play makes his expensive loan fee look a bit silly really.

Only In hindsight.  No one  had hindsight  in August with reference to January....the following year.. tricky business  this seeing into the future larkey. 

• Like 1

My guess, and assuming Fahrman is injured, would be 

McGovern

Byram  Amadou  Hanley  Lewis

Trybull Vrancic

Cantwell Steipi McLean

Onel

Subs

Krul, Aarons, Zimmermann, Tettey, Buendia, Idah. 

The last sub will be interesting,  Heise, Leitner or Famewo - nice little sub-plot 

On 02/01/2020 at 17:34, JF said:

I just hope we blood some youth in there, great chance to get some valuable experience 

This is one of the 3pm featured matches today so the usual places will have it live