Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Another midfielder feels like an odd choice.

We need a central defender more than anything how many midfielders are on the books now I’ve lost count 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

We need a central defender more than anything how many midfielders are on the books now I’ve lost count 

Sure we'll have something lined up for that position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of him. Hope he has a better impact than Heise, who signed in a similar fashion.

Is he pacey, does anyone know? We could do with someone apart from Argos

Edited by kirku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colour me confused by this one. A 29 year old in a position we're already well stocked in doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Underwhelmed by this, would much rather have seen a CB, LB or Striker signed.

Hopefully more to come with 1 or 2 departing perhaps.

 

It doesn’t matter in which order we sign players, there’s still 3 weeks of the transfer window left 👍🏼

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rupp has played 7637 minutes of Bundesliga so far in his career (mostly in mid/bottom table teams it seems), so does not seem big star in there, which of course is clear with the sums we are investing to buying players. However, brings in lots of top league experience that we have been lacking a lot.

Edited by hepphep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Colour me confused by this one. A 29 year old in a position we're already well stocked in doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

Believe it or not, the club cannot determine which deals can be got over the line, and at what time. They may be working on 6 to 8 deals atm, in the knowledge that maybe only one or two will come to fruition. That's how it works. You have to strike while the iron is hot or else the chance is gone.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Believe it or not, the club cannot determine which deals can be got over the line, and at what time. They may be working on 6 to 8 deals atm, in the knowledge that maybe only one or two will come to fruition. That's how it works. You have to strike while the iron is hot or else the chance is gone.

 

Call me naive as I know nothing about the intracacies involved in recruiting players but wasn't it possible to have something concrete in place for extra bodies before the window opened ?

We need everyone up and running to speed asap

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not a very enticing prospect for aspiring PL players at the mo. Unless we unearth another Huckerby we (& the player) will be taking a punt.

Unless Pukki Two turns up ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Call me naive as I know nothing about the intracacies involved in recruiting players but wasn't it possible to have something concrete in place for extra bodies before the window opened ?

We need everyone up and running to speed asap

Transfers do seem to be a bit of a ‘dark art’ that few outside football will ever fully understand.  Clearly some take ages to complete, adding in and unpicking contract clauses, others seem to be a matter of hours.

One thing for sure is that we need guys who will make a quick impact, whoever they are and whenever they sign.
 

 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is just another example of longer-term planning plan.* If we sign Kittel now he will be up and running and used to English football and able to take over the No.10 shirt from Duda when he leaves in the summer after we've been relegated...

*Alternatively there is not a chance  we would sign Kittel now we have Duda, so the rumour is wrong.

I posted this in jest before the news about Rupp broke, but this is a permanent deal, as opposed to the loan for Duda, so perhaps there really is an element of planning here. Rupp must know we will probably be in the Championship next season and so must be OK with that, whereas Duda may well not be. Also Rupp sounds like a more versatile player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

It doesn’t matter in which order we sign players, there’s still 3 weeks of the transfer window left 👍🏼

Yeah I get people questioning his age and position generally but a pet hate is when fans become the most simplistic species on the planet and cry "BUT WHAT ABOUTZ AR DEFENDERZ" as if we are incapable of signing more than one player in a window.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Believe it or not, the club cannot determine which deals can be got over the line, and at what time. They may be working on 6 to 8 deals atm, in the knowledge that maybe only one or two will come to fruition. That's how it works. You have to strike while the iron is hot or else the chance is gone.

 

I’m not sure why this is aimed at me- I’m not asking why we’ve done this deal before others, I’m just not sure of the profile of the player fitting what we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, defence is an obvious area of concern and has been since last season.  Part of it may be down to the cover ahead of them, but we don’t appear to have done a great deal to address either.  

 One thing I really don’t get is why Amadou has been given next-to-no chance whereas others seem to get a run of games to show themselves; he played well v Arsenal so we know there’s a player there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, king canary said:

Colour me confused by this one. A 29 year old in a position we're already well stocked in doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

“Well stocked” as in we have lots, or as in the players we have are good enough?


In other words, we may have the numbers, but surely we can upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“Well stocked” as in we have lots, or as in the players we have are good enough?


In other words, we may have the numbers, but surely we can upgrade?

Yes that’s what we’re all questioning, though a utility player could be useful, we have a potentially 9 million pound enforcing player who can’t get a game and we sign a player that can play all midfield positions for a snip!

It does look as though we’re buying with one eye for the championship season.
 

I wonder if Amadou loan might be cut short? Not featured much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Indy said:

 

I wonder if Amadou loan might be cut short? Not featured much!

That had occurred to me, Indy.  I find extraordinary that we (apparently) have a £9m player who can’t get a start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes that’s what we’re all questioning, though a utility player could be useful, we have a potentially 9 million pound enforcing player who can’t get a game and we sign a player that can play all midfield positions for a snip!

It does look as though we’re buying with one eye for the championship season.
 

I wonder if Amadou loan might be cut short? Not featured much!

Ibrahim's an odd one. He doesn't look settled to me - doesn't seem to have quite knitted in with the team. He's a bit inconsistent, which is one of our main problems.

I suspect he could come good in the long term, but we may not get that far.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Amadou was significant better than our other players I'm sure he would be starting. On-field communication problems? Injured?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

“Well stocked” as in we have lots, or as in the players we have are good enough?


In other words, we may have the numbers, but surely we can upgrade?

You're of course correct, he could be an upgrade. Just looking at his background I'm not sure I expect him to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Ibrahim's an odd one. He doesn't look settled to me - doesn't seem to have quite knitted in with the team. He's a bit inconsistent, which is one of our main problems.

I suspect he could come good in the long term, but we may not get that far.

 

This is one of the area's I think Farke deserves a bit of criticism- if you're in you're in but if not you're totally out. 

Amadou has really only been played when Farke has been forced into it by injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, king canary said:

You're of course correct, he could be an upgrade. Just looking at his background I'm not sure I expect him to be.

That’s a shame. My initial reaction was the same as yours and my hope now is that he’s deemed a significant upgrade on what we already have.

it may just be my ignorance but in the time Farke / Webber have been here I don’t think I’ve known much about any player we’ve signed other than Krul!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, king canary said:

This is one of the area's I think Farke deserves a bit of criticism- if you're in you're in but if not you're totally out. 

Amadou has really only been played when Farke has been forced into it by injury. 

I'm quite surprised by people's reactions to this.

Amadou hasn't played because Tettey has done really well this season and he has a lot of PL experience - something that we lack.

It's either drop Tettey, which he doesn't deserve, or play two DCMs, which Farke would get criticised for - for being too negative.

It's the same with Farhmann and Krul.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I'm quite surprised by people's reactions to this.

Amadou hasn't played because Tettey has done really well this season and he has a lot of PL experience - something that we lack.

It's either drop Tettey, which he doesn't deserve, or play two DCMs, which Farke would get criticised for - for being too negative.

It's the same with Farhmann and Krul.

Has he done really well though? We're still leaking goals with regularity, not really creating chances and doing far too much of our defending in our own final third. 

I think it is worth giving Amadou a go at some point just to see if it changes anything- I also lean that way with Fahrmann too.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What bothers me, is that with the loans and the recent signings, are we trying to spend ourself out of trouble ? 

The desired age profile, with signings possessing a sell-on value, seems to have been ditched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

Has he done really well though? We're still leaking goals with regularity, not really creating chances and doing far too much of our defending in our own final third. 

I think it is worth giving Amadou a go at some point just to see if it changes anything- I also lean that way with Fahrmann too.

 

I agree with Amadou. I feel it's quite strange that he was brought in as our 'marquee' signing to play in midfield but he's only really been used as an emergency centre back. He hasn't been given any sort of run at all as a midfielder and we're in January.

I disagree with Fährmann though because Krul has been one of our top performers this season and certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, king canary said:

Has he done really well though? We're still leaking goals with regularity, not really creating chances and doing far too much of our defending in our own final third. 

I think it is worth giving Amadou a go at some point just to see if it changes anything- I also lean that way with Fahrmann too.

 

I think Tettey has been very good this season and so has Krul - i'm not sure changing two of our better performers (which the stats also back up) would be the right way to go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think Tettey has been very good this season and so has Krul - i'm not sure changing two of our better performers (which the stats also back up) would be the right way to go.

What stats?

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

According to this Krul ranks as one of the worst keepers for goals conceded vs goals expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, king canary said:

What stats?

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepersadv/Premier-League-Stats

According to this Krul ranks as one of the worst keepers for goals conceded vs goals expected. 

Well yes, we concede a lot of goals but we have generally had 3 under 21's in our back four and a midfield who, particularly before Tettey, offered practically no protection alongside a playing style that doesn't lend itself to solidarity.

But despite all those goals conceded Krul still ranks as our 6th best player of the season according to overall WhoScored ratings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...