Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Incoming?

😴
On 01/02/2020 at 10:35,  Branston Pickle said: 

Really? I think you’ll find we all pay tax and the rates are the same for all of us.  Unless you live in a different country. I’m an accountant and am fully aware hie it works.

No, we do not all pay tax at the same rate. That is quite literally the definition of a progressive tax system, which we have in the UK.

Are you really an accountant?! 

That was you response to Branston!

I’ve been saying you’re wrong Branston is correct as I’ve pointed out we all pay tax and the rates are the same for all of us......difference is only after each band you earn so for a footballer or you on a so called average wage pay the same tax rates, the difference only comes once the footballer earns above £50,000 when he’ll the pay 40% on that additional money earned.

You we’re wrong and being pedantic in questioning Branston.

Edited by Indy

Why thanks Indy - I kind-of let the pedantic stuff go.  I think we all know there’s a couple of bands of tax; the point was that we all pay tax - I guess what I should have said was ‘at the appropriate rate’

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

You we’re wrong and being pedantic in questioning Branston.

Good Lord, you're so dense, light bends around you.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Why thanks Indy - I kind-of let the pedantic stuff go.  I think we all know there’s a couple of bands of tax; the point was that we all pay tax - I guess what I should have said was ‘at the appropriate rate’

Nothing pedantic about it.

You dismissed another poster pointing out that the progressive nature of tax in the UK would impact on the time taken for a footballer to earn the lifetime salary of an average worker. You called his point "invalid". It isn't. 

It's as simple as that.

4 minutes ago, kirku said:

You dismissed another poster pointing out that the progressive nature of tax in the UK would impact on the time taken for a footballer to earn the lifetime salary of an average worker. You called his point "invalid". It isn't. 

It's as simple as that.

Look, it's all right to donate your brain to science but shouldn't you have waited till you died?

On 01/02/2020 at 22:48, Indy said:

the National doesn’t have an average it has different bands depending on how you get paid and your income

Have you figured out what your own words mean yet? I haven't.

You've since doubled down on this fundamental misunderstanding of the entire conversation, which is actually quite impressive. 

Well the transfer window shut 3 days ago, maybe we should all move to the topic "taxes be crazy" or "accountancy showdown" 

26 minutes ago, kirku said:

Have you figured out what your own words mean yet? I haven't.

You've since doubled down on this fundamental misunderstanding of the entire conversation, which is actually quite impressive. 

If you live in London you’re paid more for the same trade as you will be in Leeds.
If you are self employed and have your own company you will pay yourself totally differently too, taking your allowance then paying dividends at lesser rate as you’re paying cooperation tax.

The way you distribute you’re earnings into pensions will change your potential earnings related tax you pay.

There are a number of factors which aren’t taken into consideration when you refer yourself as earning the national average but the reality it’s not real, only about 16% of the working population actually earn that figure around £29,000!

The national average doesn’t exist as it’s just a benchmark which has no bearing on reality!

Edited by Indy

So keen are they to get into an argument they are arguing about completely different things and saying the other is wrong even though both know the other isnt wrong.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kirku said:

It's as simple as that.

Er, ok.

You do realise tha this is a football website not a self-help group for tax pedants....I think it’s time to move on.

16 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

So keen are they to get into an argument they are arguing about completely different things and saying the other is wrong even though both know the other isnt wrong.

Probably, I was just pointing out one post not sure why I really bothered to go this far! I’ll stop now.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Er, ok.

You do realise tha this is a football website not a self-help group for tax pedants....I think it’s time to move on.

Wait, is there such thing as a tax pedant?! 😂

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Oh no they’re not!

I think the question we all really want answered is, if Branston is an accountant, does he use a fag packet?

(Maybe one for the long-time posters only)

39 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think the question we all really want answered is, if Branston is an accountant, does he use a fag packet?

(Maybe one for the long-time posters only)

No, fully qualified for many a year and never on a fag packet...!

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Oh yes they are!

HE'S BEHIND YOU!!

Well it is that time of year. Well it was. Were there any pantos on telly this year? I don't remember any.

• Like 1

So can we agree on this general statement or shall we take this matter to a tribunal?

if in a week you get paid 2x the national average annual salary you only need to work for twenty weeks to earn (in gross pay) what an average person will earn in their entire working life (assuming 40 years)

In reality tax banding means this doesnt quite work for net pay but the point is nonetheless clear.

Everyone, Branston included, knows that there are different tax bands (that apply to all who earn the stated salary) but his general point holds true and does not require an in-depth tax analysis. 

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Were there any pantos on telly this year? I don't remember any.

Plenty on here though😉

11 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Could a tax pedant distinguish between tax evasion, tax aversion & tax avoidance?

Tax avoidance, based on a sane and justified aversion to over-taxation,  is what I benefit from and is legally and morally justified. Tax evasion, based on an unscrupulous and selfish desire to keep from the state money to which it is entitled, is what every one else practices and is morally and legally beyond the pale. I hope that clears that up for you.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Tax avoidance, based on a sane and justified aversion to over-taxation,  is what I benefit from and is legally and morally justified.

🤔

On a further issue, I don’t disagree that it’s not the players fault the wages are so high, it’s the agent who forces such deals most of the time, but is it right to say a footballer career is so short? Most people will change their career path at least once in a lifetime, so why not a footballer? Back in the 70’s it was common place to see ex pros run pubs, go into other jobs!

So as we’re now seeing football trying to sort itself out with FFP, is it right for clubs to have mega rich owners to bail them out all the time?

Is it time for a squad wage cap in each division?

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Tax avoidance, based on a sane and justified aversion to over-taxation,  is what I benefit from and is legally and morally justified. Tax evasion, based on an unscrupulous and selfish desire to keep from the state money to which it is entitled, is what every one else practices and is morally and legally beyond the pale. I hope that clears that up for you.

Yes but most tax aversion is now being changed to prevent this like forming a company, paying yourself a minimum wage to cover PAYE, then taking massive dividends tax free. (Although the company was still liable for cooperation tax on profits.)

The ways to pay less tax is being curtailed by the las governments, as they were wasting millions chasing and investigating people.

How the hell has this thread turned into an argument about TAX??!

Edited by BobLoz3