Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Incoming?

3 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Nketiah seems an odd link. Arsenal pulled his loan from Leeds as he wasn't starting regularly, something he would be unlikely to do for us.

This is what I thought too. Then I wondered exactly how bad Pukki's injury may be. They keep this quite under wraps nowadays. For example, we all knew Godfrey was injured but didn't find out the extent of it until the following week's presser. Could be that we learn more about Pukki today. I hope it's not too bad but bringing in yet more strikers could suggest it is. I guess Idah is unproven and Drmic made of glass. So it could be a good thing getting him in.

Also, I believe that Arsenal were told that Leeds would play a certain style of football that would fit Nketiah. Only for Bielsa to go and do something completely different. So it's more that which convinced arsenal to cut his loan short. 

The article on the front page about Nketiah is totally cryptic as to whether this is a potential loan deal or a permanent signing. It would almost seem to make more sense as a permanent deal. One eye on the Championship - fits the home grown criterion and one who hopefully has plenty of room for development. 

20 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The article on the front page about Nketiah is totally cryptic as to whether this is a potential loan deal or a permanent signing. It would almost seem to make more sense as a permanent deal. One eye on the Championship - fits the home grown criterion and one who hopefully has plenty of room for development. 

Nketiah would be a brilliant signing. Check out his goalscoring record for the England youth teams:

2017 England U18 2 (4)
2017–2018 England U19 10 (9)
2018– England U20 9 (6)
2018– England U21 8 (8)

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good to see that we appear to be in front of Bristol City for his signature.

Probably a lot better than being behind Bristol City for his signature eh Til? 

29 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's a loan deal.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Good to see that we appear to be in front of Bristol City for his signature.

And also Villa, if the story is to be believed.

May as well do away with that fact eh?

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

And also Villa, if the story is to be believed.

May as well do away with that fact eh?

Villa are Premier League as are we but Bristol City are not.

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Villa are Premier League as are we but Bristol City are not.

Wowza...

I meant, we wouldn't have just beaten Bristol City to his signature but also a Premier League team in Villa.

8 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Wowza...

I meant, we wouldn't have just beaten Bristol City to his signature but also a Premier League team in Villa.

Exactly.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly.

Quite, it just depends on your agenda...

He’s certainly a decent player - seemed to score off the bench a few times for Leeds, but I guess that’s also part of the problem from Arsenal’s point of view.  Not sure where it’d leave things in the pecking order here, but we certainly need more attacking depth.

I can’t believe some people on here, he’s as young as our very own Idah, the same Idah who some want to ship out on loan yet wet their pants at loaning in an Arsenal youngster!

Nketiah does seem a strange one. From Arsenal and Nketiah's point of view, they were unhappy about the lack of starts at Leeds and I can't see him getting many here provided that Pukki stays fit, and that's also before taking into account that Drmic is fit again. Also, from our point of view, Nketiah couldn't get in the Leeds team ahead of Bamford so is he really ready for Premier League football? 

I'd rather we use Idah if we're going to go down the 'untried youngster' route. He too has an impressive scoring record at international youth level- admittedly not as impressive as Nketiah but I'm guessing that you get fewer chances per game up from for Ireland that England. He's also part of our future which fits 'the model'.

Nketiah at present, is a much well rounded player than Idah is. Idah ideally needs to go out on loan for a season and play competitive football. I have wanted Nketiah for a while, would be shrewd move.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I can’t believe some people on here, he’s as young as our very own Idah, the same Idah who some want to ship out on loan yet wet their pants at loaning in an Arsenal youngster!

If Farke et al feel Nketiah has more chance of hitting the ground running, I trust their judgement. Nketiah has played a bit of PL and European football, and more first-team experience in general. Idah's time will come, and if he does stay there's nothing wrong with having four strikers on our books - especially with Pukki and Drmic having injuries.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Nketiah does seem a strange one. From Arsenal and Nketiah's point of view, they were unhappy about the lack of starts at Leeds and I can't see him getting many here provided that Pukki stays fit, and that's also before taking into account that Drmic is fit again. Also, from our point of view, Nketiah couldn't get in the Leeds team ahead of Bamford so is he really ready for Premier League football? 

I'd rather we use Idah if we're going to go down the 'untried youngster' route. He too has an impressive scoring record at international youth level- admittedly not as impressive as Nketiah but I'm guessing that you get fewer chances per game up from for Ireland that England. He's also part of our future which fits 'the model'.

I like yourself do think its strange from go to one club (Leeds) and not play, to Norwich and essentially play back up in a similar sense. Perhaps their just assuming Drmic is going to struggle with similar injuries going forwards and Nketiah would be a reliable back up.

Edited by jaberry2

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I like yourself do think its strange from go to one club (Leeds) and not play, to Norwich and essentially play back up in a similar sense. Perhaps their just assuming Drmic is going to struggle with similar injuries going forwards and Nketiah would be a reliable back up.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I wonder if we're trying to negotiate a similar deal to the one we did with Amadou, agreement to buy at a fixed fee if his time on loan here is a success. 

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

This is what I thought too. Then I wondered exactly how bad Pukki's injury may be. They keep this quite under wraps nowadays. For example, we all knew Godfrey was injured but didn't find out the extent of it until the following week's presser. Could be that we learn more about Pukki today. I hope it's not too bad but bringing in yet more strikers could suggest it is. I guess Idah is unproven and Drmic made of glass. So it could be a good thing getting him in.

Also, I believe that Arsenal were told that Leeds would play a certain style of football that would fit Nketiah. Only for Bielsa to go and do something completely different. So it's more that which convinced arsenal to cut his loan short. 

See my post from further up the thread 🙂

Edited by BobLoz3

Still need centre back or two. Very few links in this area. 19 year old from Ajax and thats about it. We already have three young centre backs who haven't made the step up yet. Need some experienced players to help us out. Also need  better defensive coach because our current structure isn't working and hasn't for some time.

12 minutes ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Still need centre back or two. Very few links in this area. 19 year old from Ajax and thats about it. We already have three young centre backs who haven't made the step up yet. Need some experienced players to help us out. Also need  better defensive coach because our current structure isn't working and hasn't for some time.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but we should all know by now that the lack of any news of CB activity means nothing. Most of our transfers have gone under the radar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Totally different types of player.

Isn't Duda more like a 10? Competition for that position behind Pukki, which Emi doesn't play in.

Having said that, it's likely Emi will attract a lot of interest and we'll probably find it difficult to keep hold of him regardless.

No he isn't a totally different kind of player to Emi. He is best known for the quality of his forward passing. Have a look at the video and quotes from his former coach in the story on the Pinkun front page. Sorry, my phone is refusing to let me post a link at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No he isn't a totally different kind of player to Emi. He is best known for the quality of his forward passing. Have a look at the video and quotes from his former coach in the story on the Pinkun front page. Sorry, my phone is refusing to let me post a link at the moment. 

Yes, I have. Although I still think he's been used as a 10. Which Emi hasn't.

So, although they may have similar attributes I feel they'd likely play in different positions. We haven't seen Emi used as a 10 is what I mean. But I guess Duda could also play wider?

It's just he's referred to as a "10" in that feature and I think that's where they would want to utilise him.

Edit: Just realised I wrote "10" a heck of a lot here!

Edited by BobLoz3

49 minutes ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Robin Koch - German International? 

15 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Robin Koch - German International? 

I thought that's what you get up to at weekends..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Michael Bailey has quite definitively said on Twitter the Nketiah links aren’t accurate. 

16 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Thought he’d been quiet! Any idea why he left?

This may not be the reason but a few years back Bethnal  said he was planning to write a book (from memory about what afterwards happens to sports stadia built for one event) in time for the 2020 Olympics.

25 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Michael Bailey has quite definitively said on Twitter the Nketiah links aren’t accurate. 

Yep, this one ain't happening!