Sign in to follow this  
urdie_Canary

Poor loan signings again.

Like others have said, this summer’s transfer business was pretty woeful with the benefit of hindsight. Roberts was a no show, Amadou doesn’t appear to be favoured by Farke and Fahrmann is nothing but a number two. Drmic is also not reliable. Byram has been the only good bit of business. I’m of the opinion we should have pushed the boat out a bit and strengthened in key areas; the depth of the squad is lacking (especially up front. Pukki hasn’t been fit for weeks) and maybe we could have done with more nuance and experience at this level. Farke is very loyal to his players but maybe a bit too much.

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Very true. Let's hope we do get to see him given the chance.

Problem is if we are planning for the Championship now then we'll probably write him off as somebody we can't afford, because there is no chance we're meeting the £9m buy option after relegation. 

That said, Tettey is out of contract at the end of the season too! 

37 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Like others have said, this summer’s transfer business was pretty woeful with the benefit of hindsight. Roberts was a no show, Amadou doesn’t appear to be favoured by Farke and Fahrmann is nothing but a number two. Drmic is also not reliable. Byram has been the only good bit of business. I’m of the opinion we should have pushed the boat out a bit and strengthened in key areas; the depth of the squad is lacking (especially up front. Pukki hasn’t been fit for weeks) and maybe we could have done with more nuance and experience at this level. Farke is very loyal to his players but maybe a bit too much.

Drmic looks like he could have a bit about him if he could just stay fit and gets a generous number of minutes under his belt, but his injury status should come as no surprise as we knew what we were getting.

Lets hope he can get himself fit and contribute a bit before the end of the season because he's on a 3 year deal, we're going to need him to do his bit and chip in with goals in the league below! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Drmic looks like he could have a bit about him if he could just stay fit and gets a generous number of minutes under his belt, but his injury status should come as no surprise as we knew what we were getting.

Lets hope he can get himself fit and contribute a bit before the end of the season because he's on a 3 year deal, we're going to need him to do his bit and chip in with goals in the league below! 

Drmic is on a three year deal? I’d completely forgotten that. You’re right, we’re going to need to see a bit more from him before his contract's up!

Edited by Nuff Said

Funny how we have needed Fahrmann twice this season and both times he has been injured. He had his chance earlier in the year when Krul got injured only to have to go off injured and then now there is a cup game for him to be used in he's crocked again. Wish we had used the money elsewhere in hindsight and brought a centre back in on loan instead and relied on McGovern/youth for a back up keeper.

I think most people thought Roberts was an exciting signing, including myself. Unfortunately sometimes these things just don't work out.

If Drmic is able to stay fit, I think he'll prove a good player for us.

Obviously Webber & Co don't have the luxury of time any more and any new additions need to be able to contribute straight away unlike previous seasons.

• Like 1

Loan signings that have not had the impact expected rather than poor signings.   I  think all were made for sound reasoning but as others have expounded there are valid reasons why they have not started such as improved player form (Krul, Tettey & Cantwell) or not stepping up yet.

Fahrmann was needed as few had any expectations that Krul would perform as he has.   Amadou looks like he does have the game but, like so many overseas signings, has taken some time to adapt to the pace & frequency of english football while clearly hampered by the language barrier. Southampton was a low,  and was rightly substituted with Trybull in a woeful team performance.  The latter has had a second chance,  Amadou will too,  prob starting on Sat.    Tettey clearly rates him and I remain hopeful that he will emerge as better DCM option than Tettey or Trybull during the second half of the season. 

Roberts was a disappointment and simply a shadow the player we hoped he could be 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Very much agree with this. I think part of the reason that Krul and Tettey have done so well is their Premier League experience and to a lesser extent I think Klose has been a big miss too. Maybe one or two more signing who have been round the block in England might have been a good idea, I wonder if any can be brought in this month. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Very much agree with this. I think part of the reason that Krul and Tettey have done so well is their Premier League experience and to a lesser extent I think Klose has been a big miss too. Maybe one or two more signing who have been round the block in England might have been a good idea, I wonder if any can be brought in this month. 

I think this is also why we have looked a bit more solid now we have a fit Hanley at the back. Despite his technical shortcomings he has bags of experience, including in the premier league.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Funny how we have needed Fahrmann twice this season and both times he has been injured. He had his chance earlier in the year when Krul got injured only to have to go off injured and then now there is a cup game for him to be used in he's crocked again. Wish we had used the money elsewhere in hindsight and brought a centre back in on loan instead and relied on McGovern/youth for a back up keeper.

I think the signing of Fahrmann has contributed to Krul's excellent form. If we only had McGovern as competition, then he may not have raised his game to the extent that he has done.

• Like 2

In the same way that Felix Passlacks loan from Borussia Dortmund seemed to galvanise Max Aarons and made him the starting right back the loan signings this year have had a positive effect on Krull, Tettey and Cantwell.

All three faced strong competition for their place in the side and all three have proven themsleves more than capable of performing at Premier League level.

Amadou may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, maybe Webber/Farke decided that another year from Tettey will give them time to see if he's the type of player that can improve his English and assimilate to the EPL but they were forced by injuries to play him earlier than envisiged.

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

In the same way that Felix Passlacks loan from Borussia Dortmund seemed to galvanise Max Aarons and made him the starting right back

Sorry, what?

3 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Amadou may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, maybe Webber/Farke decided that another year from Tettey will give them time to see if he's the type of player that can improve his English and assimilate to the EPL but they were forced by injuries to play him earlier than envisiged.

The idea you'd sign a player on a season long loan with a view to not really using him in that season makes next to no sense.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sorry, what?

At the start of that season Max wasn't the starter at right back and there was competition from Passlack, most people probably thought Passlack was going to be starter.

The idea you'd sign a player on a season long loan with a view to not really using him in that season makes next to no sense.

Amadou was signed at the very end of the August window which seems to signal that he wasn't their main priority for that position, he seems to be a 'try before you buy' signing, it could be that they were prepared to accept that he wasn't exactly what they wanted but were prepared to work with him to see if he could develop into the player they wanted.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

At the start of that season Max wasn't the starter at right back and there was competition from Passlack, most people probably thought Passlack was going to be starter.

At the start of the season Ben Marshall was playing right back and then Ivo Pinto. Why no credit for the competition they provided?

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Amadou was signed at the very end of the August window which seems to signal that he wasn't their main priority for that position, he seems to be a 'try before you buy' signing, it could be that they were prepared to accept that he wasn't exactly what they wanted but were prepared to work with him to see if he could develop into the player they wanted.

Maybe but he's an experienced top level footballer who is on what I'd imagine to be fairly decent wages- I don't think he was bought in to be a bench warmer so he could 'adapt.'

I don't believe they planned for Max to push on like he did, Passlack definitely came here to play but even Pinto and the disastrous Marshall were ahead of him as already mentioned.

As I posted on another thread, you can't spend as little as we did across 5 signings and only get 1 player capable of winning a first team spot.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

At the start of the season Ben Marshall was playing right back and then Ivo Pinto. Why no credit for the competition they provided?

Maybe but he's an experienced top level footballer who is on what I'd imagine to be fairly decent wages- I don't think he was bought in to be a bench warmer so he could 'adapt.'

OK. I'm sure the competition for right back by all 3 galvanised Aarons.

Here's what was said when we signed Amadou,

Farke believes the final capture of Amadou, initially on loan from Sevilla with an option to buy next summer, could prove another astute foray into the market.

"We had to react a bit because we have some problems in personal terms with two centre backs out and our holding midfielder, Alex Tettey, yet to play this summer," he said. "So we wanted a versatile player who can play both roles.

"He is young and still hungry. He proved on a really good level in France and Spain he can be important for his team. He was captain in France under (Marcelo) Bielsa.

"He will need some time to adapt but he can be very important for us."

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

OK. I'm sure the competition for right back by all 3 galvanised Aarons.

Here's what was said when we signed Amadou,

Farke believes the final capture of Amadou, initially on loan from Sevilla with an option to buy next summer, could prove another astute foray into the market.

"We had to react a bit because we have some problems in personal terms with two centre backs out and our holding midfielder, Alex Tettey, yet to play this summer," he said. "So we wanted a versatile player who can play both roles.

"He is young and still hungry. He proved on a really good level in France and Spain he can be important for his team. He was captain in France under (Marcelo) Bielsa.

"He will need some time to adapt but he can be very important for us."

Some time- you're original post suggested we'd be happy to give him the whole year to adapt. There is no point signing a player on loan for a season if you think he won't be ready to make an impact until that loan is over.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Some time- you're original post suggested we'd be happy to give him the whole year to adapt. There is no point signing a player on loan for a season if you think he won't be ready to make an impact until that loan is over.

"Amadou may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, maybe Webber/Farke decided that another year from Tettey will give them time to see if he's the type of player that can improve his English and assimilate to the EPL but they were forced by injuries to play him earlier than envisiged "

I said he may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, he would be adapting to the EPL throughout that year. Injuries have forced them to play him earlier than they envisiged.

I didn't say he wouldn't be ready to make an impact until his loan is over.

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

"Amadou may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, maybe Webber/Farke decided that another year from Tettey will give them time to see if he's the type of player that can improve his English and assimilate to the EPL but they were forced by injuries to play him earlier than envisiged "

I said he may benefit from a year in England before he becomes a starter at DM, he would be adapting to the EPL throughout that year. Injuries have forced them to play him earlier than they envisiged.

I didn't say he wouldn't be ready to make an impact until his loan is over.

We're not going to agree on this but I just fundamentally don't think any club is signing a 26-year-old player on a one-year loan deal if they think he'll need a year to become a starter at his preferred position. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

We're not going to agree on this but I just fundamentally don't think any club is signing a 26-year-old player on a one-year loan deal if they think he'll need a year to become a starter at his preferred position. 

We're not going to agree as you keep changing the words in my OP, I said 'may benefit' not 'need'. i.e. the experience gained during the year could be beneficial.

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We're not going to agree as you keep changing the words in my OP, I said 'may benefit' not 'need'. i.e. the experience gained during the year could be beneficial.

Well isn't that the case with every signing ever? Maybe I'm missing your point but I'm really not clear on what you meant in your post if not 'we signed him knowing he'd need a year to adjust and become a starter.'

I suppose it's possible they signed Amadou as cover for DM and CB with a hope that he could push Tettey and ultimately take over from him. However at the time I think most people saw Amadou as the DM upgrade we desperately needed and after time to get used to the EPL would have expected him to feature as a regular starter in his preferred position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well isn't that the case with every signing ever? Maybe I'm missing your point but I'm really not clear on what you meant in your post if not 'we signed him knowing he'd need a year to adjust and become a starter.'

Not sure why you've put the quotation marks in there as I didn't say that.

And again there is a big difference between 'need' and 'may benefit'.

11 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I suppose it's possible they signed Amadou as cover for DM and CB with a hope that he could push Tettey and ultimately take over from him. However at the time I think most people saw Amadou as the DM upgrade we desperately needed and after time to get used to the EPL would have expected him to feature as a regular starter in his preferred position.

This.

I just don't think you go out and sign a player like him without expecting him to be an upgrade on what we have, time to adjust or not. I can't imagine Webber bought him in thinking he'd be backing up a 33 year old Alex Tettey and Tom Trybull.

Amadou looks to have the strength & athleticism we desperately need, but unfortunately he's a bit raw & prone to mistakes - which is the last thing we need.

And how much have the loans & fees cost us? I'll bet Byram's value covers that.

Drmic may yet come good if injuries clear up. He's clearly got ability.

Everyone thought we'd pulled off a great bit of business with Roberts.

Fahrmann looked good too - everyone expected him to be no.1. with Tim as back up.

We could have easily spent £20-£30m on players & ended up with naff all to show for it. I think we've done OK.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Amadou looks to have the strength & athleticism we desperately need, but unfortunately he's a bit raw & prone to mistakes - which is the last thing we need.

And how much have the loans & fees cost us? I'll bet Byram's value covers that.

Drmic may yet come good if injuries clear up. He's clearly got ability.

Everyone thought we'd pulled off a great bit of business with Roberts.

Fahrmann looked good too - everyone expected him to be no.1. with Tim as back up.

We could have easily spent £20-£30m on players & ended up with naff all to show for it. I think we've done OK.

I just can't get my head around this point of view.

We signed 5 new players who, over halfway through the season, have combined for a total of 19 starts in a team that is bottom of the table by a fair distance.

Spectacles have to be extremely yellow and green tinted to see that as 'doing ok.'

Yes we could have spent £30m and had naff all to show for it. Instead we spent £8m odd with naff all to show for it.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

We signed 5 new players who, over halfway through the season, have combined for a total of 19 starts in a team that is bottom of the table by a fair distance.

Spectacles have to be extremely yellow and green tinted to see that as 'doing ok.'

Yes we could have spent £30m and had naff all to show for it. Instead we spent £8m odd with naff all to show for it.

So if another Premier League club was to come in for Byram right now what do you think the asking price would be?

Just now, king canary said:

How much is Byram worth?