Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Not unlucky. Not clever.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Norwich Talk still active is it ?

Is that the one with the most members ? Have heard only positive things and how crazy it is on match days with opinions. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

On the subject of investment, do I think the club could have done more in the summer to put us in better than we are now? Yes I do. And the attempted signing of the French winger (whose name escapes me) on the last day of the window with a £16 million bid suggests that there was money to spend. I find this baffling and am surprised it has not been mentioned in this thread as yet; it throws the investment strategy and a lot of the arguments made on here into the air and I think there are some legitimate criticisms to ask here:

• Why did we wait until the last day of the window to demonstrate such a significant outlay on just one player?
  • Why didn’t we make the attempt earlier in the window, where a plan B or C could be considered?
  • Would we have been better place spending this on 3-4 signings for around the £5m mark?

It was Alexis Claude-Maurice, and the French press had us (among other English PL clubs) having made an approach at least a few days before deadline day. By all accounts the club accepted our bid but the player wasn't convinced we were a sure thing to stay up. Such a lack of faith!😄

And because the French window - and others - closed a few weeks later he could afford to see who else was interested, and eventually signed for Nice. If that hadn't been the case, and he'd had to decided on our deadline day, he might have joined us.

PS. Good post!

Edited by PurpleCanary

20 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Is that the one with the most members ? Have heard only positive things and how crazy it is on match days with opinions. 

To be fair most of the views on Norwich Talk apparently come from PinkUn posters desperate for a peek!

On 02/01/2020 at 12:06, Dean Coneys boots said:

Agreed king canary. Hence the buck does stop at boardroom. 

Perhaps the question is this. Have the current board taken us as far as they can? Are they able to sustain us into the future?

I don’t think so. For me this summer was THE most disappointing moment of over 4 decades following Norwich. Because I really felt we could make a good go of it with just three or four additions. 

instead it seems the board saw it as a bonus promotion and took the money and planned for crossed fingers as a strategy. By spending a measly amount they refused to take even a tiny risk and give us a decent go at survival. No doubt due to fear caused by previous poor judgment on Naismith etc.. but anyone who is objective and honest can see this lack of spend has cost us dearly. And for that we deserve some answers 

I have to say I felt this way too ... 

All the talk about no money shows that NCFC are just a Championship club that "got lucky" once and do not have any ambition to be anything more than that. I don't get why so many supporters are just at ease with it and didn't want the board to do more to stay up. Would some sort of investment have guaranteed survival , no , but it would have given us more of a chance in my opinion. We had one of the most enjoyable and thrilling seasons last year, but this one has been one of the most dissapointing up until now. Not just because of our "bad performances" or lack of quality , but also due to other factors like VAR, injuries , and other things we do NOT have influence on. Our manager hasn't got enough depth in his squad imo, ...

I don't blame Webber , nor Farke and I hope they stay ... but I seem to find it more difficult to accept the lack of funding more than other supporters who seem to be at ease with a status quo or worse.

I have just about accepted relegation to be honest, because it will take a miracle to get out of the mire now . I am looking forward to the Championship and being competitive again . I just hope the boardroom has been shaken up when and if we get promoted again...lack of investment has cost us , I don't think anybody should deny this. There has been some bad luck , but this hasn't been the biggest factor.

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair most of the views on Norwich Talk apparently come from PinkUn posters desperate for a peek!

So is it worth joining then ? 

55 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Norwich Talk still active is it ?

It was last time I looked but that was a couple of months ago, was very quiet though, looks like only a handful of people posting on there now but as I said most fans are on twitter now

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not really if you post on here. But there are a couple of posters who I quite liked that used to post on here and moved across to there only so I read it for that occasionally. 

And sometimes a break from here is a good thing!

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

From what I've  seen  it should be renamed  ' the Mostly Morty Message Board'.

1 hour ago, Diane said:

There's only about 3 active ncfc message boards left now, pinkun, Norwich Talk, wotb  so not much competition Nutty😀

Most fans use twitter & instagram & facebook now, messageboards are outdated now & being phased out, though not sure what you'd ever do if this one disappeared 🤣

Surely there's more than three message boards left in the world?

I understand folk still write to the newspaper.....

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

I have to say I felt this way too ... 

All the talk about no money shows that NCFC are just a Championship club that "got lucky" once and do not have any ambition to be anything more than that. I don't get why so many supporters are just at ease with it and didn't want the board to do more to stay up. Would some sort of investment have guaranteed survival , no , but it would have given us more of a chance in my opinion. We had one of the most enjoyable and thrilling seasons last year, but this one has been one of the most dissapointing up until now. Not just because of our "bad performances" or lack of quality , but also due to other factors like VAR, injuries , and other things we do NOT have influence on. Our manager hasn't got enough depth in his squad imo, ...

I don't blame Webber , nor Farke and I hope they stay ... but I seem to find it more difficult to accept the lack of funding more than other supporters who seem to be at ease with a status quo or worse.

I have just about accepted relegation to be honest, because it will take a miracle to get out of the mire now . I am looking forward to the Championship and being competitive again . I just hope the boardroom has been shaken up when and if we get promoted again...lack of investment has cost us , I don't think anybody should deny this. There has been some bad luck , but this hasn't been the biggest factor.

Got lucky once?

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Got lucky once?

It's just another variation on an old theme Nutty.

If we struggle it's because of a lack of ambition/lack of investment/the fault of the board etc, etc...

If we succeed it's because we 'got lucky'. 

• Like 1

I'm watching Leeds on TV right now. They might get lucky this season for the first time for yonks. But then again they've been here before. Perhaps they were all born under a bad sign....

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm watching Leeds on TV right now. They might get lucky this season for the first time for yonks. But then again they've been here before. Perhaps they were all born under a bad sign....

What will happen Nutty is they will get promoted and will replace us in the premier league. They will probably try to buy a couple of our players. They will spend a bit of money to try and stay up and their owner will find a new owner with the resources to fund a proper assault on the premier league. They will probably not blow the opportunity as we have done three times in recent years. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What will happen Nutty is they will get promoted and will replace us in the premier league. They will probably try to buy a couple of our players. They will spend a bit of money to try and stay up and their owner will find a new owner with the resources to fund a proper assault on the premier league. They will probably not blow the opportunity as we have done three times in recent years. 

They can stay up for a decade and win a cup for all I care. They will never be able to match our promotions in the last 16 years though will they ?

31 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No Jim - that isn't what will happen - it's what you think will happen. 

There's no guarantee they will promoted they've blown it the last two years ,if anyone has Amazon prime then the Leeds docu last season is amazing well worth a watch otbc

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

So will there be just two relegation places after the mighty Leeds are promoted or will one of the teams you used to want us to be slip into the bottom three. #Pray for Southampton ## Prayers didn't work for Swansea 

24 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And usually what Jim thinks is the opposite of what happens....

7 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

1/16 to get promoted so likely to occur then.

12 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's just another variation on an old theme Nutty.

If we struggle it's because of a lack of ambition/lack of investment/the fault of the board etc, etc...

If we succeed it's because we 'got lucky'. 

OMG ... I am not that narrow minded  , there is something in the English language called "figure of speech". We deserved our promotion and weren't "lucky" , but it is something you hear people (ie supporters of other clubs or gloryhunters) say.

This thread is about the lack of investment , and I agree that we didn't make enough quality signings and are paying for it

Edited by ROBFLECK

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

OMG ... I am not that narrow minded  , there is something in the English language called "figure of speech". We deserved our promotion and weren't "lucky" , but it is something you hear people (ie supporters of other clubs or gloryhunters) say.

This thread is about the lack of investment , and I agree that we didn't make enough quality signings and are paying for it

Fair enough ROBFLECK. 

Bloody hell, why didn't anyone think of starting a thread about lack of investment before? 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

1/16 to get promoted so likely to occur then.

It was all the other histrionic nonsense in Jim's post I was talking about. Leeds will establish themselves blah, blah, blah............ they'll buy our best players blah, blah, blah...........  they'll find a new owner and assault the Premier League blah, blah, blah.............. 

And what were Leeds odds to be promoted when they were top on New Year's Day last season do you think? 

What has been proved this season , is that the difference between the Championship and the PL is very big. The money rules ... no investment leads, in 99 % of the cases, to a relegation dogfight .

I agree with the comments on Shef U for example , they invested on a few good additions and kept their squad . They are reaping the benefits of doing so imo. 

I agree re Sheffield Utd, will Villa stay up or will they go down after spending millions and millions?. If both Villa and Sheffield Utd stay up, who are the two "established" Premier League clubs that will be coming down with us?, it will be interesting to see and it will be interesting to see how much they spent on relegation........

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was all the other histrionic nonsense in Jim's post I was talking about. Leeds will establish themselves blah, blah, blah............ they'll buy our best players blah, blah, blah...........  they'll find a new owner and assault the Premier League blah, blah, blah.............. 

And what were Leeds odds to be promoted when they were top on New Year's Day last season do you think? 

Simply making a prediction that their owners will do what needs to be done to make them competitive and keep them in the top division or if they can;t will find someone else who can. They won;t want to risk going down again on the basis that they might bounce back.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Simply making a prediction that their owners will do what needs to be done to make them competitive and keep them in the top division or if they can;t will find someone else who can. They won;t want to risk going down again on the basis that they might bounce back.

Nothing wrong with making predictions Jim, it's the saying that it WILL happen that I query. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Nothing wrong with making predictions Jim, it's the saying that it WILL happen that I query. 

Ok - " I predict that what will happen is........... etc etc."