Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Not unlucky. Not clever.

19 hours ago, king canary said:

we didn't look for an upgrade on Marco,

Really? Didnt even look, hard to believe.  Any evidence? Please share if true. 

42 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

If the club went and spent £20m on one player, would those of you that paid £50 on membership be pleased or would you question why you had to pay that much for it ?  The club are at least being consistent telling us there’s no money

Ever stopped and asked yourself why this club has got no money though?  22,000 Season ticket holders paying more than 80+ other clubs fans, an away membership scheme that no one else has, Premiership money and relegation payouts for most of the last 5/6 seasons.  This club should have been able to spend some money this window.  This board continues to hold this club back, yet all I keep hearing is "no one wants to own a football club" or "we just cant compete".  

34 minutes ago, Ren said:

How can you be proud of this business model, your not supporting a bank, your supporting a football club.  A football club that is bottom of the league.  

Norwich fans really are a funny bunch.  

1.We accept that we are not going to get new, very rich owners for the foreseeable future. People can whine all they like, and by God they do, but the liklihood of a benevolent billionaire coming to our rescue is very low.

2. We accept that due to low amounts of money available this is the best way to proceed, to make sure that the club has a long term viable future without plunging us into large debt.

3. We accept that results aren't good. We're not getting hammered every week but we're just not good enough to get the results we need to stay in this league.

4. We accept that we need reinforcements this month but not ones that are expensive and desperate solutions. How we circle that square is anyone's guess.

When I say we I am talking about the royal we.😀

Edited by Herman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ren said:

How can you be proud of this business model, your not supporting a bank, your supporting a football club.  A football club that is bottom of the league.  

Norwich fans really are a funny bunch.  

???

A business model that, unlike all others that it can be compared to realistically, makes money. A business that buys assets cheaply (or creates its own) and sells high. A business that has long term ambitions to sustain and improve rather than plunge itself into uncertainty and debt.

Yeh that’s sounds crazy.

Its also a business that, whilst commendably going against the grain, is producing some fantastic entertainment from some hidden gems and talented youngsters.

Anyone not proud of that and just wants money money money and instant success is just unfortunately all too typical of football fans these days. I pity you and am glad I’m not one of your ‘funny bunch’.

• Like 2

Id rather watch a good team than the clubs bank balance - that's why I go to Carrow Road every other week.  

...and of course I don't want us to go bankrupt by throwing 100s of millions that we don't have, but I would like to have seen some form of investment in the squad, I mean we are in the richest league in the world, although the way we act you wouldn't know it.  This club imo has wasted a real opportunity to stay in the Premier League this season.  Its taking a hell of a gamble if they think we can just walk the Championship again next season.  I can still remember when we came down with that attitude in 1996 with our "on loan to the Endsleigh League" T-shirts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

1.We accept that we are not going to get new, very rich owners for the foreseeable future. People can whine all they like, and by God they do, but the liklihood of a benevolent billionaire coming to our rescue is very low.

2. We accept that due to low amounts of money available this is the best way to proceed, to make sure that the club has a long term viable future without plunging us into large debt.

3. We accept that results aren't good. We're not getting hammered every week but we're just not good enough to get the results we need to stay in this league.

4. We accept that we need reinforcements this month but not ones that are expensive and desperate solutions. How we circle that square is anyone's guess.

When I say we I am talking about the royal we.😀

Its point 1 that we seem to have just blindly accepted though.

If this club was available for sale for a reasonable price there would be massive interest, especially had it been shortly after promotion.

But I would also say that even under the current owners it is clear that we could have been a bit more bullish in the transfer market this summer without taking too big a risk and I don;t think we would have needed a lot more to have stayed up given how many of our players are performing at this level. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

But I would also say that even under the current owners it is clear that we could have been a bit more bullish in the transfer market this summer without taking too big a risk and I don;t think we would have needed a lot more to have stayed up given how many of our players are performing at this level. 

I do agree with that, Jim, but I don't agree with your previous statement about investment. Why would we have been a good investment just after promotion?

Clubs are more likely to appeal to a potential investor when their stock is low, and the investment can build their team and infrastructure. The clubs that are bought out while in the top flight carry a huge level of risk, as the income is already as high as it can get (investment aside), so black holes are likely to appear in the finances a lot more quickly. Look at Venky's at Blackburn, Lerner at Villa and so on. The more successful models (Bournemouth, Leicester) tend to attract the investment when they were in a lower league, and thus the increase in income from the PL mitigated what had been spent to get there.

Obviously I'm excluding the likes of the sheikh at Man City and Fenway at Liverpool, as those are colossal clubs already.

52 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its point 1 that we seem to have just blindly accepted though.

If this club was available for sale for a reasonable price there would be massive interest, especially had it been shortly after promotion.

We haven't blindly accepted it, we simply do not have any knowledge of what goes on in the boardroom to know for certain. You don't either.

Don't suppose tactics could have anything to do with our plight? Reinforcing the centre of defence both pre-season and now could surely have made/make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

1.We accept that we are not going to get new, very rich owners for the foreseeable future. People can whine all they like, and by God they do, but the likelihood of a benevolent billionaire coming to our rescue is very low.

I'm not sure that rich owners can influence much these days. Starting with Jack Walker with Blackburn, then Abramovich at Chelsea, and finally the Mansours at Man City, the days of someone being able to buy the title seem long gone. Villa allegedly bought a new team with £130m and they're a point above the relegation zone.

Aside from Wolves and Markus Liebherr at Southampton it's hard for me to think of a owner that's had a real impact and moved their club to the next level. Nobody seems to talk about Tony Fernandes being fleeced at QPR for example. 

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

I'm not sure that rich owners can influence much these days. Starting with Jack Walker with Blackburn, then Abramovich at Chelsea, and finally the Mansours at Man City, the days of someone being able to buy the title seem long gone. Villa allegedly bought a new team with £130m and they're a point above the relegation zone.

Aside from Wolves and Markus Liebherr at Southampton it's hard for me to think of a owner that's had a real impact and moved their club to the next level. Nobody seems to talk about Tony Fernandes being fleeced at QPR for example. 

I think Khun Vichai is a glaring omission from that category 🙂

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Really? Didnt even look, hard to believe.  Any evidence? Please share if true. 

Didn't even look is an exaggeration- but based on players we were linked with and the signings we made it clearly wasn't a priority.

Edited by king canary

Just now, king canary said:

Didn't even look is exaggeration- but based on players we were linked with and the signings we made it clearly wasn't priority.

Fair enough  kaceyo,  just find those little exaggerations add up over time and if not disputed  can lodge in the minds of the less reasonable or fair minded  and become ' forum facts'. Which is my nice name for bullshoite 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ren said:

Id rather watch a good team than the clubs bank balance - that's why I go to Carrow Road every other week.  

...and of course I don't want us to go bankrupt by throwing 100s of millions that we don't have, but I would like to have seen some form of investment in the squad, I mean we are in the richest league in the world, although the way we act you wouldn't know it.  This club imo has wasted a real opportunity to stay in the Premier League this season.  Its taking a hell of a gamble if they think we can just walk the Championship again next season.  I can still remember when we came down with that attitude in 1996 with our "on loan to the Endsleigh League" T-shirts.  

I don't mean to be rude, but do you actually follow what goes on at Norwich City? In the summer we made a massive investment in our squad. We did it by signing all or our top players up to new long term contracts. When you're talking about very highly rated young players on Premier League wages you're talking about an awful lot of money. You're also talking about an awful lot of money when you're talking about established older players as well. 

• Like 1

I don't believe anyone at the club is trying to line their pockets, and if spending so little is how we have to act then I can only assume that we were in a much worse state previously than we knew.

I would however argue that our reputation as excellent recruiters is living a charmed life off of unbelieveable success last year.

We may as well have chucked Roberts' loan fee and wages in the Wensum, seems a total mismatch. Fährmann is likely to end up as one of the most expensive per-minutes-played signings we've seen; Amadou showed promise but a wobbly first half in his preferred position at Southampton and he's disappeared. Drmic looks good in small patches but unfortunately lives up to his reputation as injury prone.

That just leaves Byram who does look like phenomenal value, but you can't spend what we did on 5 players and hit 4 duds at this level.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I do agree with that, Jim, but I don't agree with your previous statement about investment. Why would we have been a good investment just after promotion?

Clubs are more likely to appeal to a potential investor when their stock is low, and the investment can build their team and infrastructure. The clubs that are bought out while in the top flight carry a huge level of risk, as the income is already as high as it can get (investment aside), so black holes are likely to appear in the finances a lot more quickly. Look at Venky's at Blackburn, Lerner at Villa and so on. The more successful models (Bournemouth, Leicester) tend to attract the investment when they were in a lower league, and thus the increase in income from the PL mitigated what had been spent to get there.

Obviously I'm excluding the likes of the sheikh at Man City and Fenway at Liverpool, as those are colossal clubs already.

I agree. This idea that if we "put the club up for sale" we'd suddenly get loads of billionaires interested in one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on here, and it's repeatedly said! 

Like a multi-billionaire has to wait to see a premier club release a statement saying "buy us please" to show interest. The only difference stating "buy us please" might be that any suitors would think we were desperate and could gamble on getting us at a cut price.

The reality is, as people on here keep saying, squads in the Premier League need investment to succeed. I don't see why someone would be interested at buying a club that's in a really good financial position, as it's going to cost them to do so. On top of that, fans are going to want what, 50, 60, 70 million spent on the squad inc wages? Villa done £130 mill, is that enough? 

Maybe if a few more clubs only spent what they could afford, then Football itself wouldn't be in such a perilous state. It isn't an industry where capital expenditure guarantees a return.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree with you Dean 100%!

In fact the following wording is sheer breathtaking in it's subservience to the owners................................................'but to put it simply, it’s not your place -and in fact it’s extremely arrogant of you - to gauge what is and what is not defined as success for someone else’s business'. The Cook has always said that she is 'merely a custodian of the club for the benefit of the fans who are the true owners' .If that is in fact so then every supporter is absolutely entitled to lodge an opinion on what they believe constitutes success.

I truly enjoy listening to ignorance attempting to defend stupid.

This has nothing to do with with being subservient to the owners. This has nothing to do with even who the owners are. This has nothing to do with league position.

This has everything to do with people who actually believe, for whatever reason, that they have the right to tell a business owner, uninvitedly, how they should be running their business and what success looks like and then have the audacity to complain when they aren’t listened to.

Telling a business owner to spend tens-of-millions of pounds that they don’t have, just to make you happier, is ludicrous.

Minimizing the foundational achievements the club have actually made (Upgrading the training grounds, Producing MULTIPLE  HIGHLY talented youth players, Webber’s business acumen to correct the financial struggles, Farke’s man management abilities) in order to promote your frustration is unhealthy and extremely short sighted.

And to actually believe Delia when she says that the club is owned by the fans is the same as believing your boss when she says “We’re all a family here”. It’s called PR. Businesses say things so their customers feel a part of what they’re doing and spend more money. Simple enough?

If you actually believe that ‘the fans own the club’, (which you must do since you used it as a quote to support your position) then walk into the next board meeting and take a seat. Also, please let me know when you’re planning to do this so I can come and watch you be arrested as you fight to stay in the ‘owners’ seat.

In fact, have you even tried to approach Delia & Co with a viable, actionable and financially sound business model for NCFC? 

I thought so....

Instead you’ve chosen to take that time and energy and dissipate it through complaining.

Now please, take a breath and recognize that if your opinion on how NCFC should operate was actually worth listening to,
you would be sitting in those meetings. But...you’re not. So, go back to doing what your pay grade requires of you; that of being a fan.

In fact, I’m going to be arrogant enough to tell you to take your money, your ‘ownership’ rights and your b1tching to a club that, in your eyes, is doing it ‘right’. It’ll make you happier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

???

A business model that, unlike all others that it can be compared to realistically, makes money. A business that buys assets cheaply (or creates its own) and sells high. A business that has long term ambitions to sustain and improve rather than plunge itself into uncertainty and debt.

Yeh that’s sounds crazy.

Its also a business that, whilst commendably going against the grain, is producing some fantastic entertainment from some hidden gems and talented youngsters.

Anyone not proud of that and just wants money money money and instant success is just unfortunately all too typical of football fans these days. I pity you and am glad I’m not one of your ‘funny bunch’.

Zac I’m not supporting any view here - but you must be careful proclaiming that we “make money”. We lost £38m last financial year. 

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Mr Circle - I'm actually a tad slow on the up take at times so I'm not really sure whether you are truly serious in your comments or are on the most enormous wind up known to man! 

I did NOT say that 'the fans own the club'. What I did say is that The Cook inferred that we did. Significant difference I'm sure you'll agree. Thing is that without 'fans', this club, any club ceases to exist. I have never, ever urged the club to spend 'tens of millions of pounds'. Perhaps you can retrieve a post of mine where I have made such a suggestion?    

Circlepoint gets very sad if anyone questions the owners and must leap to their defence ASAP- apparently Norwich City is just a business like any other and how dare you question the decision-makers?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Circlepoint gets very sad if anyone questions the owners and must leap to their defence ASAP- apparently Norwich City is just a business like any other and how dare you question the decision-makers?

it's not like any other - rich football club owners lose fortunes for whatever the intangible benefits are - but it's still a business & as such can fail if mismanaged.

6 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Mr Circle - I'm actually a tad slow on the up take at times so I'm not really sure whether you are truly serious in your comments or are on the most enormous wind up known to man! 

I did NOT say that 'the fans own the club'. What I did say is that The Cook inferred that we did. Significant difference I'm sure you'll agree. Thing is that without 'fans', this club, any club ceases to exist. I have never, ever urged the club to spend 'tens of millions of pounds'. Perhaps you can retrieve a post of mine where I have made such a suggestion?    

Mr. Yellow. When you type: "Agree with you Dean 100%!" Then don't act surprised when someone holds you to what you have agreed with. So no, you are correct that YOU did not say that the club should spend tens-of-millions, but you 100% agreed with the person who is b1tching about not 'investing wisely' - which we all know what that implies.

Further, I never said that YOU said the fans own the club. I said that since you quoted Delia as saying as such to prove your point, then you must AGREE with her. Do put your reading glasses on before your panties get too tight.

Also, I sense a little backtracking with your use of the word 'inferred'. You 'inferred' nothing. You quoted Delia Smith. For example:

"The Cook has always said that she is 'merely' a custodian of the club...."

So she either did or did not say as such. Which is it? No matter. Either way you're looking foolish.

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Sad? No. Jumping to the defense of the owners? No.

And by all means, question the decision makers! But to do so with a solution based, reality-checked idea that, if given the chance to sit down with Delia & Webber, you could compel them to make a few positive changes. Not some spazzed out response that is fueled by an emotional void that needs a football team to win every week so as not to cry yourself to sleep!

Further, your response probably explains why you collect a paycheck?

And I do look forward to your paper outlining how NCFC does not operate at a fundamental level, as any other business in the entertainment industry.

And one final thing, Delia & Co. could strip this team clean and walk away with her pockets full of cash, because she can. Get over it. It is the prerogative of any business owner to do whatever they like with THEIR business. If you don't like it......go wipe your ar5e somewhere else.

Ha ha! You really do think you are better educated than the rest of us don’t you? Ha ha! As Del-boy might say- “what a plonker”

PS: again- for the simple minded - this is a discussion board. We are all aware we are not in a position to make serious suggestions to the board. We just enjoy discussing the team and club. Get over it. 

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

I agree. This idea that if we "put the club up for sale" we'd suddenly get loads of billionaires interested in one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on here, and it's repeatedly said! 

Like a multi-billionaire has to wait to see a premier club release a statement saying "buy us please" to show interest. The only difference stating "buy us please" might be that any suitors would think we were desperate and could gamble on getting us at a cut price.

The reality is, as people on here keep saying, squads in the Premier League need investment to succeed. I don't see why someone would be interested at buying a club that's in a really good financial position, as it's going to cost them to do so. On top of that, fans are going to want what, 50, 60, 70 million spent on the squad inc wages? Villa done £130 mill, is that enough? 

If the current owners are true to their word and have NCFC best interests at heart, asking a low fee for a debt free club makes us a massive opportunity for investment. If she is asking £50m plus maybe not but that would mean she is interested in us as an investment for her and not the club. I take her at her word that she has our best interests of the club... If people bought and invested in Bournemouth, Wolves, Leicester they would 100% be interested in us. I find it ludicrous to think they would not. Sheffield Utd spent £40m, not enough to put their club in jeapody but enough to make it likely they will have premier money again next season.. a very wise investment and one were they will not be selling their best players unlike us. No one asking for investment is asking for £100m plus ... It's a none argument. The same can be said about the Nasmith etc was a disaster so we should never spend money again. If you believe the structure is now good and the scouting better surely we would not make the same mistakes. What can not be argued is that you have to spend to stay up and our owners can not do that so we will always fail at the top level without change.

2 hours ago, CirclePoint said:

Sad? No. Jumping to the defense of the owners? No.

And by all means, question the decision makers! But to do so with a solution based, reality-checked idea that, if given the chance to sit down with Delia & Webber, you could compel them to make a few positive changes. Not some spazzed out response that is fueled by an emotional void that needs a football team to win every week so as not to cry yourself to sleep!

Further, your response probably explains why you collect a paycheck?

And I do look forward to your paper outlining how NCFC does not operate at a fundamental level, as any other business in the entertainment industry.

And one final thing, Delia & Co. could strip this team clean and walk away with her pockets full of cash, because she can. Get over it. It is the prerogative of any business owner to do whatever they like with THEIR business. If you don't like it......go wipe your ar5e somewhere else.

Oh dear... I think most successful people in business are rational, polite, listen respectfully to other arguements and give a measured response when disagreeing. They certainly don't use outmoded terms such as "spazzed out"... Each to their own I suppose.

Don't know what the argument is here, I've supported Norwich for 50 years, back then we were a lower Division 1 upper Division 2 side and apart from the odd spell where we've overachieved/underachieved we're pretty much in the same place. 

The game itself has changed though, back then we looked up to giants like Sunderland, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Coventry, Leeds, Stoke, West Brom and that lot down the road. 

The Teams that have overtaken us from those days include Watford, Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace and Villa who'd had some time in Division 3. All of which have mega rich owners ploughing huge sums in to keep them competitive. 

Remaining largely competitive when the rest have changed their business model to stay ahead of us should be acknowledged for the achievement that it is.

18 hours ago, hogesar said:

As I have said before it depends what sort of price our owners demanded. They acquired a controlling stake almost by accident and without paying any kind of premium for it as would usually be the case. They did so after saying that no one should have a controlling stake again. They have said on a couple of occasions they are not looking to make a profit from the club and that they would stand aside if the “right” person capable of taking the club forward came along. It would be open to them to make the club available on very attractive terms.