Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Model / Plan

39 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That seems to be where things are heading. No more work permits but limitations to the amount of non-homegrown players. It would match the system most European Leagues adopt. 

Bethnal, are there not two aspects at issue here? One being what the English football authorities/clubs want, with potentially the FA aiming to limit non-homegrown players, supposedly to benefit England, and the Premier League particularly fighting against that.

And the other is how stringently or otherwise the government, which will take precedence if it wants to, enforces this new points-based system when it comes to football. In a sane political world the government would steer clear of getting too involved, but then politically, here and in the US,  sanity is disappearing fast in the rear-view mirror...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Bethnal, are there not two aspects at issue here? One being what the English football authorities/clubs want, with potentially the FA aiming to limit non-homegrown players, supposedly to benefit England, and the Premier League particularly fighting against that.

And the other is how stringently or otherwise the government, which will take precedence if it wants to, enforces this new points-based system when it comes to football. In a sane political world the government would steer clear of getting too involved, but then politically, here and in the US,  sanity is disappearing fast in the rear-view mirror...

The Premier League have been trying to get rid of the work permit rules for years. They would welcome it going, as long as the quota on non-homegrown players was generous. The FA are happy they don’t have to treat EU players like English players. It could be that the ‘homegrown’ definition is changed to ‘British’ to strengthen the FA’s position. Again, that is fairly standard in other leagues with players regularly taking citizenship to help their clubs meet their quotas. 

What the home-office decide is hard to predict at the moment. But I can’t see any real desire for high earning individuals from being refused access to the UK. Even the current work permit rules have a loophole for highly paid players to get through.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Badger said:

We don't have  the details yet, but a skills based system will replace EU freedom of movement. This is likely  to make immigration  from outside the EU easier. It is the skill level(measured by wage) which will be  the determining  factor rather than EU citizenship.

Having said that, after reading this I'm not so sure.

https://www.eureporter.co/frontpage/2020/02/19/brexit-britains-new-immigration-system-how-many-points-do-you-need/

Lucky RvW signed for us when he did then.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Lucky RvW signed for us when he did then.

could have saved us a fortune😉

19 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

What the home-office decide is hard to predict at the moment. But I can’t see any real desire for high earning individuals from being refused access to the UK. Even the current work permit rules have a loophole for highly paid players to get through.  

I think it is easy to forget the even a midtable Championship player is probably earning between £200-400k a year. I can't see Tory policy keeping that sort of person out.