Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Palace

I watched a couple of Premier games on BT today and the results all seemed to go the wrong way for supporters of the yellow and green. What was needed was a very large slice of luck and I thought that had been supplied when Palace won the toss and set us kicking the "right" way and even more so when City jumped into a very early lead. Buendia had tricked his way into the area but weight of numbers blocked his shot but lady luck played a hand as the ball fell nicely for Cantwell who tucked the ball past Guaita from about eight yards.

It was another great start and City began to play the ball about with increased confidence. Once again Buendia appeared to have the ball stuck to his boots as Palace defenders lunged in but could not seem to put the little man off balance, as he constantly woove his magic through the middle. The visitors looked neat but quite strong and physical in midfield and Zaha, proved to be a constant handful, although Max stuck to his task very well whenever danger threatened.

The game was full of midfield endeavour but goalmouth incidents were very few during the opening twenty minutes. By the midway stage Palace were dominating possession without being able to create much other than from set pieces. Ayew, almost got in with an on target header from about twelve yards but Krul caught it comfortably on the bounce. Action then flew to the other end where Buendia brought the ball down on his chest and volleyed a goalbound shot that unfortunately arrowed straight to the keeper.

City were by no means comfortable in the middle of the park and often dallied too long before losing possession. Just before the half hour Palace had a great chance to level when Zimmerman couldn't stop a through ball to his right. Riedewald was on his own and might easily have had a go from a reasonable angle but instead tried to cut the ball inside. From here it seemed to ricochet between attackers and defenders before being hoofed clear.

City still looked dangerous on the break and Cantwell had a couple of chances within a short space of time. First cutting in from the left after a good link up with McLean, he let fly with a shot beyond the far post then he got on the end of a low ball from the right only for his first time effort to not have enough on it to beat Guaita's right hand. Just before the break it was Aarons cutting in from the right who shot low across goal. From the big screen replay at halftime it looked to have taken a coat of paint off Guaita's right hand post.

All things considered it was a satisfactory half although I have to say that Palace had looked strong and purposeful and were certainly not out of it. This soon became apparent as we were pushed deeper and deeper from the second half kick off. Annoyingly there were chances to clear but often the ball was lost cheaply due to players trying to be too clever. Thankfully Krul was equal to anything that came in from long range. They were nearly caught out when expecting a free kick into the box, the ball was played short and somehow a low cross evaded everybody.

A series of corners and free kicks had to be defended strongly as it became a case of mostly trying to hang on to what we had. City breakaways were rare but a couple of times might have easily resulted in a goal had the luck been on our side. A Buendia free kick, after Vrancic had been felled, looked destined for the top corner only for Guaita to pull off a fine one handed save high to his right. Then McLean got through a couple of tackles almost on the corner of the six yard box before rifling the ball past the keeper. We were on our feet in anticipation but the ball struck the woodwork before bouncing clear.

Hernandez came on for the tiring Cantwell on seventy-eight minutes and then Stiepermann was swapped for Pukki as the the City strker began to look a bit puffed. With the sand running through the egg timer I went from feeling certain Palace would equalise to starting to believe we would hang on as we moved into the final five minutes. Palace attacked again down the right and City couldn't get possession as the ball was swiftly recycled to Zaha on the left. His cross was bundled into the net from close range by Wickham but thankfully the flag was raised. As the ref signalled a VAR check I think every City supporter in the ground knew that somehow we would get done again and after wgat seemed an age our fears were realised. The VAR shot was flashed up for a few seconds and Wickham looked half a yard in front of everybody except apparently Zimmerman's outstretched boot.

In any other season that would have been a clear offside from the linesman's point of view and coupled with Pukki's "goal" on Sunday, we would now have been four points better off. Unfortunately the God's seem to have been against us from day one and no matter how hard we try we are not getting an even crack of the whip.  Having said that I have to admit that while we have looked good in parts, we have generally looked second best in the last fifteen minutes of most games this season.

I've enjoyed a lot of our football this year but relegation is never fun and that has looked to be fairly likely for quite a while now. Miracles can sometimes happen but even my lucky scarf, gloves, hat and underpants can't seem to summon up three points this season.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I watched a couple of Premier games on BT today and the results all seemed to go the wrong way for supporters of the yellow and green. What was needed was a very large slice of luck and I thought that had been supplied when Palace won the toss and set us kicking the "right" way and even more so when City jumped into a very early lead. Buendia had tricked his way into the area but weight of numbers blocked his shot but lady luck played a hand as the ball fell nicely for Cantwell who tucked the ball past Guaita from about eight yards.

It was another great start and City began to play the ball about with increased confidence. Once again Buendia appeared to have the ball stuck to his boots as Palace defenders lunged in but could not seem to put the little man off balance, as he constantly woove his magic through the middle. The visitors looked neat but quite strong and physical in midfield and Zaha, proved to be a constant handful, although Max stuck to his task very well whenever danger threatened.

The game was full of midfield endeavour but goalmouth incidents were very few during the opening twenty minutes. By the midway stage Palace were dominating possession without being able to create much other than from set pieces. Ayew, almost got in with an on target header from about twelve yards but Krul caught it comfortably on the bounce. Action then flew to the other end where Buendia brought the ball down on his chest and volleyed a goalbound shot that unfortunately arrowed straight to the keeper.

City were by no means comfortable in the middle of the park and often dallied too long before losing possession. Just before the half hour Palace had a great chance to level when Zimmerman couldn't stop a through ball to his right. Riedewald was on his own and might easily have had a go from a reasonable angle but instead tried to cut the ball inside. From here it seemed to ricochet between attackers and defenders before being hoofed clear.

City still looked dangerous on the break and Cantwell had a couple of chances within a short space of time. First cutting in from the left after a good link up with McLean, he let fly with a shot beyond the far post then he got on the end of a low ball from the right only for his first time effort to not have enough on it to beat Guaita's right hand. Just before the break it was Aarons cutting in from the right who shot low across goal. From the big screen replay at halftime it looked to have taken a coat of paint off Guaita's right hand post.

All things considered it was a satisfactory half although I have to say that Palace had looked strong and purposeful and were certainly not out of it. This soon became apparent as we were pushed deeper and deeper from the second half kick off. Annoyingly there were chances to clear but often the ball was lost cheaply due to players trying to be too clever. Thankfully Krul was equal to anything that came in from long range. They were nearly caught out when expecting a free kick into the box, the ball was played short and somehow a low cross evaded everybody.

A series of corners and free kicks had to be defended strongly as it became a case of mostly trying to hang on to what we had. City breakaways were rare but a couple of times might have easily resulted in a goal had the luck been on our side. A Buendia free kick, after Vrancic had been felled, looked destined for the top corner only for Guaita to pull off a fine one handed save high to his right. Then McLean got through a couple of tackles almost on the corner of the six yard box before rifling the ball past the keeper. We were on our feet in anticipation but the ball struck the woodwork before bouncing clear.

Hernandez came on for the tiring Cantwell on seventy-eight minutes and then Stiepermann was swapped for Pukki as the the City strker began to look a bit puffed. With the sand running through the egg timer I went from feeling certain Palace would equalise to starting to believe we would hang on as we moved into the final five minutes. Palace attacked again down the right and City couldn't get possession as the ball was swiftly recycled to Zaha on the left. His cross was bundled into the net from close range by Wickham but thankfully the flag was raised. As the ref signalled a VAR check I think every City supporter in the ground knew that somehow we would get done again and after wgat seemed an age our fears were realised. The VAR shot was flashed up for a few seconds and Wickham looked half a yard in front of everybody except apparently Zimmerman's outstretched boot.

In any other season that would have been a clear offside from the linesman's point of view and coupled with Pukki's "goal" on Sunday, we would now have been four points better off. Unfortunately the God's seem to have been against us from day one and no matter how hard we try we are not getting an even crack of the whip.  Having said that I have to admit that while we have looked good in parts, we have generally looked second best in the last fifteen minutes of most games this season.

I've enjoyed a lot of our football this year but relegation is never fun and that has looked to be fairly likely for quite a while now. Miracles can sometimes happen but even my lucky scarf, gloves, hat and underpants can't seem to summon up three points this season.

Green and yellow Y-fronts Ricardo ?  

• Haha 1

I used to laugh at my mates complaining about bad luck in football. But what else do you call the horrific injuries to so many defenders, VAR decision after VAR decision absolutely going against us and an absolute absence of any sort of lucky bounce, misplaced pass etc? 

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I used to laugh at my mates complaining about bad luck in football. But what else do you call the horrific injuries to so many defenders, VAR decision after VAR decision absolutely going against us and an absolute absence of any sort of lucky bounce, misplaced pass etc? 

I have noticed over the years that when it starts to go against you it seems to continue for some time. Conversely when it goes for you it seems to continue that way too.

Last season it just seemed to go right, this season is a complete turnabout. It's a bit like life, you have to take the ups with the downs and try to enjoy the ride.

• Like 7

I'd like to think life for most people isn't quite as up and down as supporting Norwich City, but judging by the last six months in my own life, you might have a point, @ricardo!

Edited by Terminally Yellow

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd like to think life for most people isn't quite as up and down as supporting Norwich City, but judging by the last six months in my own life, you might have a point, @ricardo!

No fans have had a better ride than NCFC supporters. I recall a dismal patch back in the 1960's but mostly we have had more seasons with something to fight for than any other club in the league. I've seen ten promotions and this will likely be my eighth relegation. Not bad in 66 seasons.😀

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Well our second against Spurs would count in the lucky bounce category. However it's as Ricardo says, on balance things go well for you or they don't. And this season they don't. Keep your spirits up, the luck will change, we just need to keep this playing style and management in place and not panic, next year will be fine even if this year is frustrating as we are technically good but get bullied. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Well our second against Spurs would count in the lucky bounce category. However it's as Ricardo says, on balance things go well for you or they don't. And this season they don't. Keep your spirits up, the luck will change, we just need to keep this playing style and management in place and not panic, next year will be fine even if this year is frustrating as we are technically good but get bullied. 

In days gone by there would have been boo's for the players and management team by now but the ones tonight were aimed at VAR in my opinion.

Just now, ricardo said:

In days gone by there would have been boo's for the players and management team by now but the ones tonight were aimed at VAR in my opinion.

Pretty sure that's right. Boos for what has become unbearable. When we score we can't celebrate. Discussion before, at half-time and after the game is all VAR. They must know they've messed up. But it's too late to change now and pure bad luck that we haven't come out on the right side of any decisions. 

Shame they brought it in this season when the odds were stacked against us anyway. I guess the final kick in the 'nads would be for them to change it now so I wouldn't rule that out either!

It's not football anymore, and I didn't renew my season ticket for this nonsense. I can take losing, I can take normal bad luck. But this has been horrendous.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Pretty sure that's right. Boos for what has become unbearable. When we score we can't celebrate. Discussion before, at half-time and after the game is all VAR. They must know they've messed up. But it's too late to change now and pure bad luck that we haven't come out on the right side of any decisions. 

Shame they brought it in this season when the odds were stacked against us anyway. I guess the final kick in the 'nads would be for them to change it now so I wouldn't rule that out either!

It's not football anymore, and I didn't renew my season ticket for this nonsense. I can take losing, I can take normal bad luck. But this has been horrendous.

It would be unfair to change it halfway through, perhaps it might go for us at some stage, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have got to say that even though we have fewer points this is so much better than Hughton. I would like to see us a bit tighter and stronger but I guess you can't have everything. Apart from the results I am proud of the way we have stuck to our principles and I for one won't be booing while we play good open football. I would go so far as to say that VAR excepted, I have never enjoyed a relegation season more.

I must confess I did boo Hughton more than once but I made up for it by kissing the scarf when I got home.😀

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

Thanks for the report Ricardo.

May I suggest that you also find yourself a pair of lucky socks - maybe this is what’s needed to summon up the three points! 

Was it Boo Hooton Ricardo?

There is no comparison and as you say although losing it is enjoyable to watch, in the main.

I am not a believer in luck per se. I think it can seem as if you are doing things right and getting no reward. But for us, we are where we deserve to be, VAR apart. If we cannot convert our chances and get a two goal cushion to keep in reserve so to speak, then we will get caught out more often than not. We are just blessed with some of the most gifted players, in terms of sheer skill, to have worn the colours. Buendia continues to be stand out with his ability and his hard work and skill deserves to be rewarded with more goals from his teammates.

DF thinks it will take a miracle and I know while some still hold out hope, I guess we all do in different shades, the reality is we need another 24 points from 17 games. That is 6 wins, 6 draws and 5 defeats. I doesn't look too good.

But as long as we can keep this style of football, retain the staff for next season, buy and sell and make some money, then it could be a bright future.

By the way, who is defence coach? 

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

By the way, who is defence coach? 

I think at the moment it is run by a charitable organisation.

Thanks Ricardo - I can't recall a season where we have had so much bad luck, although the season where we were relegated after Gunn got injured stands out in my memory. I don't recall us playing as well with so few points though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

It would be unfair to change it halfway through, perhaps it might go for us at some stage, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have got to say that even though we have fewer points this is so much better than Hughton. I would like to see us a bit tighter and stronger but I guess you can't have everything. Apart from the results I am proud of the way we have stuck to our principles and I for one won't be booing while we play good open football. I would go so far as to say that VAR excepted, I have never enjoyed a relegation season more.

I must confess I did boo Hughton more than once but I made up for it by kissing the scarf when I got home.😀

I love this post. Exactly how I feel.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

It wouldn't be a change though would it if they simply starting implementing what we were told (and presumably what the clubs signed up to) at the start of the season - correction of clear and obvious errors.

They have already been told by IFAB that they are not using the system correctly so why, just for once, don't the Premier League do the right thing?

It is the hope that ultimately kills you. 

I'm just enjoying it game by game now with no expectation of staying up. 

Remember Fulham away?