Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Srbeny off?

Completely uninterested in the cup personally. But a positive result with some fringe players would be an added plus and to increase confidence in the team cant be a bad thing.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You did indeed, and I can confirm that BobLoz's milkman's nephew goes to the same school as one of the head stewards' half-brother's daughters, so his information is extremely reliable.

It's his niece but, ya know, don't sweat the small stuff.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Now who’s been drinking ? 😉😁

Those who keep telling me Srbeny is up to the job. If he is the answer i really don't want to know the question.

12 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Didn’t he score two in the League Cup last season against a team from a higher division? 🤔

Yep, and didn't he score away against a Premier League side already this season?

Look, Srbeny is a long way from being a regular Premier League striker but Til is deciding to double-down on his 'Sloughbottom Park' BS rather than accept anything different. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

If Srbeny plays at Preston that is our cup run over.

I seem to remember similar comments about Hanley.

Also, remind me how many goals Emi, who's currently being drooled over on another thread, has scored compared to Dennis?

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, and didn't he score away against a Premier League side already this season?

Look, Srbeny is a long way from being a regular Premier League striker but Til is deciding to double-down on his 'Sloughbottom Park' BS rather than accept anything different. 

Says the poster who himself cannot ' accept anything different ' from his own opinion. 'A long way short of being a regular premier striker ' does not even begin to cover it when Pukki has played for weeks with a broken toe. Dining out on a single goal this season is ridiculous. My opinion so live with it.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I seem to remember similar comments about Hanley.

Also, remind me how many goals Emi, who's currently being drooled over on another thread, has scored compared to Dennis?

Emi is a striker is he ? What a stupid comparison and Srbeny is not fit to lace Buendia's boots.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Says the poster who himself cannot ' accept anything different ' from his own opinion. 'A long way short of being a regular premier striker ' does not even begin to cover it when Pukki has played for weeks with a broken toe. Dining out on a single goal this season is ridiculous. My opinion so live with it.

Decent comments.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Emi is a striker is he ? What a stupid comparison and Srbeny is not fit to lace Buendia's boots.

The king of  dismissive  one liners. I think you'll find that most ,if not all would agree that Emis game needs more goals,  yep , he was close on weds but no cigar  , he's  a super little player.  Dennis has been a useful if unspectacular  squad member.  Doesn't deserve  the lack of appreciation  he gets on here. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Those who keep telling me Srbeny is up to the job. If he is the answer i really don't want to know the question.

Is the question: Was Srbeny put on this earth to wind up Til 1010?

Give Srbeny a run in the team and I suspect he would make a good showing. If he is injured then the cup match is Idah's chance to make his mark. Either way, neither is going to find it easy to come on occasionally as a sub and make their mark when Pukki is fit. 

That was where Rhodes was so useful to have in the squad. Imo Srbeny is a useful squad member but on Saturday I fancy Idah to come up with the goods against Preston. 

Straightforward question.....would Srbeny make the 25 man squad of any other Premier club yes or no and if yes who ?

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Straightforward question.....would Srbeny make the 25 man squad of any other Premier club yes or no and if yes who ?

I’m not sure he’d make many championship squads to be honest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Every other premier league club has much more money than us and will have players of more immediate calibre and higher value. Players like Srbeny have to develop and improve and then go and prove themselves - and that is where our appreciation of him can come from. Has proved himself in cup games and has scored a PL goal with very limited minutes in the pitch. Always look forward to seeing him come on and if nothing else he is a 100 percenter - and he, like any player, can improve. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Short (i.e. ill informed) answer, probably not. If we'd bought Rhodes, as we were rumoured to be considering at one stage, he probably wouldn't have made ours either. 

Longer answer: if you'd seen him regularly in training and at previous clubs, maybe you would think differently, that you'd seen something worthy of the occasional chance when we are in need of something a bit different. At the end of the day, he's what we've got, and maybe, like Emi and Hanley, he would benefit from more game time. He'll never get it if he's written off on the basis of 15 minutes or however long it is he's had on the pitch this season.

I can understand why Srbeny isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but as far as I can remember he’s not let us down. I think the idea that him playing tomorrow means we won’t win is a bit silly but I recognise he’s no world beater. He’s a squad player who reflects our financial standing to be honest. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Short (i.e. ill informed) answer, probably not. If we'd bought Rhodes, as we were rumoured to be considering at one stage, he probably wouldn't have made ours either. 

Longer answer: if you'd seen him regularly in training and at previous clubs, maybe you would think differently, that you'd seen something worthy of the occasional chance when we are in need of something a bit different. At the end of the day, he's what we've got, and maybe, like Emi and Hanley, he would benefit from more game time. He'll never get it if he's written off on the basis of 15 minutes or however long it is he's had on the pitch this season.

Well you’ve answered your own question......if he’s not getting game time he’s already been written off by those who see him regularly in training!

The fact we’re relying on a misfiring Pukki at times when he needs a rest shows he’s not anywhere near good enough. The same can be said of Hanley, who was offered the door in the summer and only on the pitch due to poor run of injuries at the back.

That said Hanley’s been ok of late yet we still concede two goals a game, so not any improvement on his early season.

Lambert used to use a phrase about the club growing quicker than certain players. I think that applies very well to Srbeny. I don't think he's a bad player, but I think someone who lower Champ/higher L1 is probably his level.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 2

Mustn’t get confused about talking about players on a forum and supporting the on the pitch. It’s a discussion Forum not a support group for football players.

47 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I can't accept anything different? Do you I mean I disagree with people? Newsflash Til, not everyone holds the same opinion as you.

Your opinion is your opinion. I was just using a little, minor, almost embarrassing thing called 'facts' to question the validity of your opinion.

P.s happy new year!

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Straightforward question, would Cantwell have made your Norwich squad this season or would you have loaned him out?

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

That said Hanley’s been ok of late yet we still concede two goals a game, so not any improvement on his early season.

Sorry Indy, but your implication that because Hanley is playing we are conceding two goals a game makes me think I should just ignore your posts. 1) it's a huge logical fallacy, 2) there's no evidence for it. If anything, and I hate to say it, Zimbo has been the weak link recently.

It's nearly as bad as Lakey's vendetta against Snoddy. Did he sleep with your missus or what??

Edited by Nuff Said

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Mustn’t get confused about talking about players on a forum and supporting the on the pitch. It’s a discussion Forum not a support group for football players.

Are those  official rules  indyo? Or is support for players now banned? Or what? it is possible to criticise  ( fairly) and support simultaneously.  One does not  necessarily  rule out the other.  Too much black and white on here when most things are some shade of grey,  much like that scampi jobbo was eating  the other day. 

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Straightforward question, would Cantwell have made your Norwich squad this season or would you have loaned him out?

Not really, as now he has the benefit of hindsight!

I can't expect anyone would admit to thinking Cantwell shouldn't be starting. They may well have thought that at the start of the season but to say it now would just appear daft.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Are those  official rules  indyo? Or is support for players now banned? Or what? it is possible to criticise  ( fairly) and support simultaneously.  One does not  necessarily  rule out the other.  Too much black and white on here when most things are some shade of grey,  much like that scampi jobbo was eating  the other day. 

By football player support group, meaning discussion on each person’s opinion, at the ground all our players get support and rightly so, on here we talk about them their performances and the club, opinions.

Does he give his all when he’s on the pitch? Yes. Has he ever let the team down? No. His attitude is obviously spot on in training as well. Should we have gone into a PL season with him as a genuine option from the bench? Don’t be daft, of cause we shouldn’t. For his own development and our survival hopes he should have been loaned out and another option added for this season 

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Not really, as now he has the benefit of hindsight!

I can't expect anyone would admit to thinking Cantwell shouldn't be starting. They may well have thought that at the start of the season but to say it now would just appear daft.

In the summer I thought he would benefit from a loan but that was because I didn't expect him to play anwhere near as much as he has done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry Indy, but your implication that because Hanley is playing we are conceding two goals a game makes me think I should just ignore your posts. 1) it's a huge logical fallacy, 2) there's no evidence for it. If anything, and I hate to say it, Zimbo has been the weak link recently.

It's nearly as bad as Lakey's vendetta against Snoddy. Did he sleep with your missus or what??

No vendetta at all, nor anything other than opinion and the facts that Hanley hasn’t improved the back four, Zimbo as pointed out probably isn’t good enough either at this level, but he and Godfrey made the CB their own together, that’s why Hanley was offered to Blackburn, he didn’t want to go.

I have no doubt he’s a genuinely lovely guy, gives his all and has good leadership as he’s our club captain. Great qualities but just not good enough for this level, as can be said of a large part of our squad, but as I’ve said fully deserved the chance to play this season they’ve earned that right.

4 minutes ago, JF said:

Does he give his all when he’s on the pitch? Yes. Has he ever let the team down? No. His attitude is obviously spot on in training as well. Should we have gone into a PL season with him as a genuine option from the bench? Don’t be daft, of cause we shouldn’t. For his own development and our survival hopes he should have been loaned out and another option added for this season 

Yes, this is the crux of it from what I can see. Nowhere near the quality required at this level.