Sign in to follow this  
SE25Eagle

Going Down

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Anyone else feel that was our 'poorest' display for many games, yet we still deserved a win?

Certainly our poorest for several games but I’m not convinced we deserved to win. Draw was probably a fair result on the balance of play

35 minutes ago, pete said:

Get used to it we have some useful players who have proved they can do it at this level and will be off at the end of the season.  It maybe 3,4 or 5 players but don't kid yourself not one of them will be going to a top six side.  They will be off to Brighton, Palace or Southampton and the prices being paid will reflect the status of the buying club.  

Not sure you've read the script, Tottenham have been linked with Aarons according to the press nearly all season. 

Godfrey has been linked to a whole host of big Clubs, some abroad, playing in the Champions League....

.... 'and the prices paid' will reflect how much Webber is willing to accept. 

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Not sure you've read the script, Tottenham have been linked with Aarons according to the press nearly all season. 

Godfrey has been linked to a whole host of big Clubs, some abroad, playing in the Champions League....

.... 'and the prices paid' will reflect how much Webber is willing to accept. 

As stated on the athletic which doesn’t seem to deal in idle gossip, Spurs tried to sign Aaron’s in the summer and he remains a target. Godfrey is being tracked by Arsenal and Lyon. Buendia and Lewis are being watched by Liverpool. Sadly if or more likely when we go down we will lose these  players 

Edited by JF
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Certainly our poorest for several games but I’m not convinced we deserved to win. Draw was probably a fair result on the balance of play

Mmm, on stats, it may have  looked like it but I felt we had the best 2 chances (Buendia free kick and the Mayor hitting the bar) and yet I can't remember Krul making a save of any note

I was sat with a neutral (Man Utd fan) and he also felt we deserved the win

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Mmm, on stats, it may have  looked like it but I felt we had the best 2 chances (Buendia free kick and the Mayor hitting the bar) and yet I can't remember Krul making a save of any note

I was sat with a neutral (Man Utd fan) and he also felt we deserved the win

We certainly had a chance or two to score but Palace’s attacking play, possession, movement on the day deserved a point. I was quite impressed by them 

1 minute ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Thanks for your post OP, like others I think we are going down but I love the way we play and long may it continue, going to to enjoy the rest of the season and not get bent out of shape, i will leave that to others.......

Yes we’re as good as down but we’re competitive and are playing some great stuff. Ignore the league table and just enjoy the games one at a time. As long as we continue to give a good account of ourselves then whatever will be, will be

• Like 2

It seems like it's all doom and gloom on here but Kenny was unlucky not to score as was max ,I accept we will probably go down but we outplayed a half decent side without being at our best otbc

3 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

It seems like it's all doom and gloom on here but Kenny was unlucky not to score as was max ,I accept we will probably go down but we outplayed a half decent side without being at our best otbc

Palace were the poorest footballing side seen at Carrow Road so far this season on a par with Newcastle.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Palace were the poorest footballing side seen at Carrow Road so far this season on a par with Newcastle.

Yes I admit they was not great but are they going down?

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Watched a different game than I did. I thought they were very good

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

By far the worst fans too. Silent until 87th minute then shouting ‘that’s why your going down”. Lack of class. Lack of anything really. A nothing Club with a few quid . Bit like Wigan used to be . 

• Like 1

We are going down, we cannot win games and I really can't see us being capable of putting a winning streak together.  Watford have beaten Wolves and Villa with 10 men and Manchester United in the last few games, West Ham looked good today and smashed a very poor Bournemouth side and Villa look capable of winning here and there as they did today.  Unfortunately I can only see the gap getting bigger. 

Edited by Alex

48 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

By far the worst fans too. Silent until 87th minute then shouting ‘that’s why your going down”. Lack of class. Lack of anything really. A nothing Club with a few quid . Bit like Wigan used to be . 

The fan who started this thread is very much a rare example of a decent Palarse fan, the majority of them are arrogant, classless pr*cks whose club have literally won sweet FA in their history yet walk around like their best club in the capital. Sh*thouse club, stadium and fans. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

But that was not the question ....... to upgrade the team you would have to replace some of the players who played last year. The simple question is, which ones?

Your question doesn't make any sense, football is a squad game, look at the quality most other teams have on the bench on most weekends. I think you just realised that you messed up with your original question, because you didn't realise we had spaces in the squad, but I'll play along regardless...

You don't sign a player and say "you are our backup right back", you sign quality and they have to fight to earn and keep their place. We signed a keeper this season to compete with Krul for the number 1 spot, he said himself that he wasn't told he would be a backup, and that's because he wasn't intend to be a backup... he was intended to fight for a place. 

There is no way we went into this season expecting Tettey to be our number 1 choice for DM, but he's keeping Amadou out of the team. That's how football works Yellow Wal, you build a squad of capable players and their performances and application dictate which ones play the most frequently. 

So are you saying that you object to Michael McGovern being demoted to third choice keeper Yellow Wal? Who did Ralf replace? Or is it the case that you actually value greater depth in that position? 

But if you want me to play your silly game then replacing Jordan Rhodes (38 appearances) by spending some actual money instead of signing a free agent with an appalling injury record may have prevented us being forced to bring on a midfielder for an exhausted Teemu Pukki today. 

Upping our offer for the actual Jordan Rhodes from £0 to £2m might have been a sensible idea, and if we still wanted Drmic then we could have loaned out Srbeny, what would you have had against choosing Rhodes over Srbeny?

You are shedding tears for McGovern are you? And you'd have been outraged if we spent £5m on a striker and loaned out Srbeny?

What about Hanley, after just 7 games last season. Did enough to earn his chance this season? What about signing a centre back but keeping Hanley until January due to Zimmermann's injury status / missing pre-season? Good plan?

2 hours ago, pete said:

Get used to it we have some useful players who have proved they can do it at this level and will be off at the end of the season.  It maybe 3,4 or 5 players but don't kid yourself not one of them will be going to a top six side.  They will be off to Brighton, Palace or Southampton and the prices being paid will reflect the status of the buying club.  

The number that we can keep hold of depends on our ability to keep hold of our head coach.

If Farke leaves I expect an exodus, if he stays I expect we'll see the asking price met for a couple of players and manage to keep hold of the rest.

Going down is nothing to be ashamed about, our players deserved the chance of premiership football and although we’ve held our own in many games, we’ve not got that quality in reserve to stay here.

Key to building is, keeping all our best young players, off loading those not good enough and replacing them with younger hungry better players. That’s the wish, but unfortunately can see our best young talent sold off to other teams......back to square 1 with a five year plan no doubt! We can only hope!

4 hours ago, Indy said:

Going down is nothing to be ashamed about, our players deserved the chance of premiership football and although we’ve held our own in many games, we’ve not got that quality in reserve to stay here.

Key to building is, keeping all our best young players, off loading those not good enough and replacing them with younger hungry better players. That’s the wish, but unfortunately can see our best young talent sold off to other teams......back to square 1 with a five year plan no doubt! We can only hope!

I agree with the first paragraph, although I would say there were some mistakes made in our transfer/loan dealings last summer. As to the second paragraph, there is a halfway house - which is what I think will happen - between keeping all our young talent and selling it all off.

I expect Buendia and probably at least two out of Cantwell, Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons to leave. Not sure about Pukki. He may feel settled here.

But our last summer's transfer (as opposed to loan) business was mainly aimed at providing that next young generation. Add Idah into that mix and perhaps others already on the books. And there are several stablished upper-Championship-level players in the squad - McLean, Zimmermann, Hernandez, Stiepermann etc - I expect to stay. I don't see us going all the way back to square one.

59 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree with the first paragraph, although I would say there were some mistakes made in our transfer/loan dealings last summer. As to the second paragraph, there is a halfway house - which is what I think will happen - between keeping all our young talent and selling it all off.

I expect Buendia and probably at least two out of Cantwell, Lewis, Godfrey and Aarons to leave. Not sure about Pukki. He may feel settled here.

But our last summer's transfer (as opposed to loan) business was mainly aimed at providing that next young generation. Add Idah into that mix and perhaps others already on the books. And there are several stablished upper-Championship-level players in the squad - McLean, Zimmermann, Hernandez, Stiepermann etc - I expect to stay. I don't see us going all the way back to square one.

Trouble is Purple, lose Buendia and Cantwell that’s our creative midfielders gone. For me Steipermann certainly isn’t a premiership class player, there’s already talk of a few fringe players not being happy so can see a few departures like Lietner and Sberny can see Amadou not being signed (probably too expensive for the championship) Tettey been excellent this season but will be 34 next year. Then you have Klose who really needs to be cut, he’s been a liability as he’s pretty much been injured for two seasons.

Agree Idah and Famewo look like they will be given a big part in the championship next year, but I’d like to see them added to the core of Cantwell, Godfrey, Buendia, Lewis, Aarons, Vrancic.

I don’t see Cantwell or Buendia or any of our youngsters as regular starters for most premiership teams and might well end up as other (Murphy’s) to be loaned out back to the championship anyway. So if we don’t need to cash in and the players don’t have any release clauses then keep them.

Summer will be key to building or resetting, lose three or more of our youngsters to mediocre bids and there might be a bit of discontent.

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I remember similar sentiments when we went down under Worthington and Neil- we already had a core of players we knew were good enough in the Championship, we should have more than enough to challenge for the top 2.

It is difficult to account for lost momentum after a season like this though. Will someone like Stiepermann bounce straight back to what he was last season for example? Do new recruiters fill in the gaps from our younger players straight away or do they need time to adjust?

I'd imagine all of Godfrey, Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell will have some form of release clause that will be triggered by going down, maybe Pukki too. If the worst happens and we lose all 5 of them I think all bets are off.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I remember similar sentiments when we went down under Worthington and Neil- we already had a core of players we knew were good enough in the Championship, we should have more than enough to challenge for the top 2.

It is difficult to account for lost momentum after a season like this though. Will someone like Stiepermann bounce straight back to what he was last season for example? Do new recruiters fill in the gaps from our younger players straight away or do they need time to adjust?

I'd imagine all of Godfrey, Buendia, Aarons and Cantwell will have some form of release clause that will be triggered by going down, maybe Pukki too. If the worst happens and we lose all 5 of them I think all bets are off.

I don't see the situations as comparable. Worthington was shot as a Norwich City manager (actually I was told by someone at the club in a position to know that he started to lose the plot in his promotion season!). Neil still was learning about management (although to an extent that is true of Farke) and the decision to keep that squad together just didn't work out.

Of course if we lost all our talent we would struggle, albeit with a vast amount of money, plus parachite payments, but the model/plan had relegation factored in. Last summer's transfers were with that in mind and I don't doubt we have already earmarked signings for next summer.

I can’t see any of Cantwell, Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis, Aaron’s or Pukki staying if we’re relegated 

4 minutes ago, JF said:

I can’t see any of Cantwell, Buendia, Godfrey, Lewis, Aaron’s or Pukki staying if we’re relegated 

Since all are on long term contracts the decision will be ours. I don't expect us to lose more than one or two.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Since all are on long term contracts the decision will be ours. I don't expect us to lose more than one or two.

Not if there are release clauses in those contracts.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't see the situations as comparable. Worthington was shot as a Norwich City manager (actually I was told by someone at the club in a position to know that he started to lose the plot in his promotion season!). Neil still was learning about management (although to an extent that is true of Farke) and the decision to keep that squad together just didn't work out.

Of course if we lost all our talent we would struggle, albeit with a vast amount of money, plus parachite payments, but the model/plan had relegation factored in. Last summer's transfers were with that in mind and I don't doubt we have already earmarked signings for next summer.

I don't think we're in a position to say they aren't comparable right now.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

That hasn’t been the case for years. Once a players head is turned the only thing the long contract will achieve is we get the best price for them

13 minutes ago, JF said:

Me neither. Won't be quite the same watching without them in the champs will it?

II think we shouldn’t try to compare the two just discs what this season will bring. Given our club historically sell players, the current owners will no doubt consider the full potential value of the players now with the potential of a poor championship season devaluing the players which could be sold this window or summer.

I hate to think it but, Richardo I just don’t see a couple players leaving I think we’ll lose four or five key youngsters.

12 hours ago, Indy said:

The most sensible post in this topic. Our history of the past couple decades is one of doing the yo yo between Prem and Champs and my goodness we should be used to this by now.  The way the top two divisions are run these days, nearly all the clubs running with super rich owners pumping tens of millions into the clubs like confetti its a wonder any rare  club such as City with a self funding model can even get close, let alone actually compete, in such a situation. Yet we do and,  we are playing some great football to boot. So enjoy the ride, be it in the Prem or Champs, there are a ton of clubs in L1 and 2 who would  love to be in our position.

• Like 3