Sign in to follow this  
SE25Eagle

Going Down

Palace fan in peace here. Norwich going down?, not a chance in my opinion. Too much skill in that team for that, remind me a LOT of Palace and the frustrations that come with it. Sometimes the sum of the parts is weaker, and that is what I saw today, just like Palace on a lot of occasions. 

Palace are stretched squad wise but a good performance by Norwich still shone through. Just need a bit more belief and to gel as a team, once that happens you'll be safe.

I wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the season and really hope you get out of the relegation zone soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

We're going down and it's a total ****ing blessing. Can't abide another season of these ridiculous VAR decisions ruining the game. Roll on Championship and proper football. Appreciate your generous post though.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

The table doesn’t lie. We can’t win games like today, we can’t beat the teams around us, we can’t see games out. We’re going down. It’s just a question of whether we can keep the squad together when we go down.

Roll on the days without VAR - if it means being back in the Championship that is fine by me.  VAR was meant to vastly reduce mistakes but is making different ones.  That is the long and short of it.  There’s no ‘conspiracy’ but we have been the victims of a not fit-for-purpose system yet again.

• Like 2

We are going down because we create enough chances every week to win 2 games but we never ever do because luck/fate/inept defending/VAR or some form of act of god prevent us from winning. We are playing well enough to stay up but we have too much to do now. 

Thank you for your kind message. Shame the classless c**ts that followed your team to Carrow Road felt the need to bray about things quite so much.

• Like 1

Of course we going down -cannot win against mediocre teams- so all sing WE DOWN THE PAN AND WE ARE GOING DOWN  

Today was last chance saloon and nothing changed - we can't get far enough ahead despite multiple chances. So we'll just have to go again next year, with the majority of this squad intact. As eye pleasing as the individuals are there are only one or two who could get into a top Premier League squad, and the rest are too lightweight to be of interest to the more physical mid table clubs IMO. 

Edited by Surfer

Thanks for the encouraging post SE25 but the similar pattern has been in evidence for over half a season. That's us I'm afraid. 

Thanks for the kind words but unfortunately we’re going down. We just don’t have that little bit extra quality that’s needed to turn draws into wins. Good luck for the rest of the season se25eagle

17 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Today was last chance saloon and nothing changed - we can't get far enough ahead despite multiple chances. So we'll just have to go again next year, with the majority of this squad intact. As eye pleasing as the individuals are there are only one or two who could get into a top Premier League squad, and the rest are too lightweight to be on interest to the more physical mid table clubs IMO. 

Exactly. Perhaps we needed to buy in the summer window to give the Prem a proper go?

I totally understand how you must be feeling, I have felt it most seasons, Palace still don't have the final product either, we struggle from match to match even though some of our individual players are very good, but we struggle to gel, and score. On 5 of our last seasons we haven't had more than 20 points come new years day (apart from this one) yet we finished between 10th and 12th in all those seasons.

Have faith Canaries and the best of luck! 

• Like 1

You just need to be able to close games out, you mentally collapse late in games.

You will be surprised how much difference one defensive signing can make, you just need someone like Huth signed in Jan, and these draws can change to wins.

I think your forward players are capable.

Edited by foxchrys
  • Like 1

SE25Eagle. I know you would rather Brighton go down:classic_biggrin: but people said the Titanic wouldn't go down. We have consistently got it wrong match after match apart from some silly VAR decisions that may have changed things.

Many of us don't understand the use of substitutions at the best of times but tonight's were bizarre at best. Pukki has a reputation and is a threat and to take him off with five minutes left of normal time was ridiculous, unless he asked to come off. And if he did, I don't know what message it sent to young Adam Idah.

We are not good enough, our squad isn't EPL strength and we have eyes on other things rather than focusing on staying up. And many of us aren't bothered about the EPL anyway. It is a game of football and I have no desire to see my club get beaten game after game or get into financial problems (it was revealed we had to sell Maddison to avoid the dreaded).

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We are not down yet.  The position is not good, but the season is not over. COME ON!!!!

Still "happy" after New Year's celebrations? Clearly down and as obvious as Liverpool winning the league. Personally I think it's been embarrassingly amateurish.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

SE25Eagle. I know you would rather Brighton go down:classic_biggrin: but people said the Titanic wouldn't go down. We have consistently got it wrong match after match apart from some silly VAR decisions that may have changed things.

Many of us don't understand the use of substitutions at the best of times but tonight's were bizarre at best. Pukki has a reputation and is a threat and to take him off with five minutes left of normal time was ridiculous, unless he asked to come off. And if he did, I don't know what message it sent to young Adam Idah.

We are not good enough, our squad isn't EPL strength and we have eyes on other things rather than focusing on staying up. And many of us aren't bothered about the EPL anyway. It is a game of football and I have no desire to see my club get beaten game after game or get into financial problems (it was revealed we had to sell Maddison to avoid the dreaded).

Haha!, I would rather Watford go down to be honest! Fans that used to be alright turned into entitled gimps and a thuggish attitude on the pitch, followed by Smug Eddie's lot, then maybe Brighton or Wet Spam 🙂 

Thanks for the comments. 

We are playing well at the moment but for various reasons arent getting the necessary points. Whether it be VAR or our own inability to take ANY half chances, the result is the same.

Maybe we will go on a miracle run of results but we would need luck for that and we've not had any as of yet.

40 minutes ago, SE25Eagle said:

Palace fan in peace here. Norwich going down?, not a chance in my opinion. Too much skill in that team for that, remind me a LOT of Palace and the frustrations that come with it. Sometimes the sum of the parts is weaker, and that is what I saw today, just like Palace on a lot of occasions. 

Palace are stretched squad wise but a good performance by Norwich still shone through. Just need a bit more belief and to gel as a team, once that happens you'll be safe.

I wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the season and really hope you get out of the relegation zone soon. 

Nah, you are wrong.

Its easy to look at us and see a team good enough to stay in this league, because we have a much higher proportion of Premier League standard players than your typical team in 20th and we play pretty football. 

But we also have a substantial number of players who were punching above their weight being at the top of the Championship last season, and our decision not to upgrade them in the summer is costing us.

Our lack of depth means that we never have a plan B, barely ever rotate, never leave the opposition guessing when it comes to what our XI will be next Saturday. 

Our squad isn't good enough I'm afraid. I do accept that its a rather odd position to be in though, to be a Championship team with several genuine top class young prospects in their ranks and a striker as good as Teemu Pukki. 

If we keep hold of them we could come back stronger next time, if we can't make an instant return this is a wasted opportunity and 3 or 4 upgrades in the summer might have kept us up.

Thanks for the sentiment though, I really like Palace fans and couldn't ever wish relegation upon you for that reason. Cheers. 

20 minutes ago, Chumino said:

Exactly. Perhaps we needed to buy in the summer window to give the Prem a proper go?

I am getting a bit fed up with people saying what we should have done so perhaps you can really explain this to me. If we were going to 'Buy in the summer window' we would have replaced some of our players. Now's your chance, which ones AT THAT TIME would you have wanted replaced?

47 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Of course we going down -cannot win against mediocre teams- so all sing WE DOWN THE PAN AND WE ARE GOING DOWN  

C*ck.

6 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I am getting a bit fed up with people saying what we should have done so perhaps you can really explain this to me. If we were going to 'Buy in the summer window' we would have replaced some of our players. Now's your chance, which ones AT THAT TIME would you have wanted replaced?

Why we would have to replace them? We’ve named a squad less than the number we’re allowed to name! But just to play your game, Dennis

Edited by JF

8 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Quality defensive cover for Zimbo and Godfrey for starters most people agreed that Hanley wasnt good enough (even if he has actually done alright recently) and Klose is injury prone,. The fact we ended up playing Tettey and Amadou there was farcical.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

You are allowed to name 25 players over the age of 21, as long as 8 are homegrown (so came through in England or Wales).

We named a squad of 23 players. 

We also have a player who is taking up one of those 23 spaces that we signed on loan but apparently don't consider to be good enough to play (Roberts).

Personally I felt we were crying out for a centre back due to Zimmermann being injured and Klose being injury prone.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You are allowed to name 25 players over the age of 21, as long as 8 are homegrown (so came through in England or Wales).

We also have a player who is taking up one of those 23 spaces that we signed on loan but apparently don't consider to be good enough to play (Roberts).

Personally I felt we were crying out for a centre back due to Zimmermann being injured and Klose being injury prone.

I swear there's an echo in here.. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SE25Eagle said:

Kind words. But I'm afraid we're a technically strong squad that lacks resolve and strength in depth.

I think we'll go down regretting missed opportunities that could have meant securing dozens more points.

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sorry, doesn't work. Zimmermann played on 31st August and if Haller had not injured him (for which he was not punished) he would probably have been playing all season. Klose in 2015/16 after we signed him played 10 games for us. In 2016/17 he played 35 games for us and in 2017/18 he played 38 times. In 2018/19 33 times. Does that sound like somebody being injury prone. Then the other two centre backs we had were an England U21 international and the club captain who is a Scottish international.

Remember the ask, AT THAT TIME. Roberts was signed with a good reputation and as competition. 

But that was not the question ....... to upgrade the team you would have to replace some of the players who played last year. The simple question is, which ones?

• Like 1

Just not quite strong enough at the back and midfield clever but a bit light weight.

We have been relegated before playing rubbish football but in spite of the results I don't want us to stop playing this way. A shame we won't survive and lose a few players but I have faith in Farke and Webber long term.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Get used to it we have some useful players who have proved they can do it at this level and will be off at the end of the season.  It maybe 3,4 or 5 players but don't kid yourself not one of them will be going to a top six side.  They will be off to Brighton, Palace or Southampton and the prices being paid will reflect the status of the buying club.