Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

The Happy New Year Match Thread

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Anybody know what's up with Srbeny, was he just dropped for Idah? 

He's not very good.

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Connor Wickham's equaliser was his first in the Premier League for 1,138 days since he netted against Manchester City in November 2016!!!!!

Been pretty much constantly injured in the three years since, for context.

8 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Keep this squad together and we will surely be up again soon.

You honestly think that going to happen! 

Farke getting grief but a paper thin squad with no adequate back up for Pukki and all of Webber's summer loans / additions bar Sam not working are the reason. Had a leaky defence last year but did very little bar Sam, to amend this...100% not backing a great coach in the summer has meant we will go down with a whimper.. utterly predictable unfortunately.

• Like 4

Just now, Chumino said:

You honestly think that going to happen! 

Maybe, and maybe we will even add to it.   Overall our squad is very good and our philosophy is spot on. 

More var nonsense. Another game we’ve been competitive in but we just don’t have enough quality to bridge the gap. Forget staying up, we won’t. We’re competitive in every match so as long as that continues just take the enjoyment from the games as one off matches and forget about the table

• Like 1

ManCity, Tottenham and Chelsea away are the only games where I can't see us grabbing even a point. So frustrating the last month or so has been, but plenty of points left.

Also, on the bright side, Idah looked good for the 30 seconds we saw him...🤷‍♂️

Zimmermann was supposed to be our saviour, and people on here were calling for Amadou to be picked over Hanley a few weeks ago.

On current form it looks like Zimmermann is a bit short of confidence, and Hanley whilst extremely limited as a player is in better form than Zimmo. Anybody willing to take back anything they've said about Hanley? Because on current form I'd be dropping Zimmermann for Hanley.

Hanley was good today.

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Farke getting grief but a paper thin squad with no adequate back up for Pukki and all of Webber's summer loans / additions bar Sam not working are the reason. Had a leaky defence last year but did very little bar Sam, to amend this...100% not backing a great coach in the summer has meant we will go down with a whimper.. utterly predictable unfortunately.

Agreed.

We've got no money so we sign a player who'd spent two seasons our injured on a free and, surprise surprise, he's injured again, leaving us with a kid and a League One player as his possible backups.

Nearly all the var decisions are not at the correct angle, there either behind or ahead and not directly inline. How can you possibly trust the var technology when its not even in line , its ridiculous.     

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Absolutely. And the common denominator this time is... 

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Agree, Farke wouldn't have signed an injury prone free transfer as the Pukki competition if he had a transfer budget.

In fairness to the other signings, Amadou hasn't had a run in his natural position. I'm assuming we're not bothering playing him now because we know we can't afford the £9m transfer fee (in which case we may as well send him back and buy a different one for £2.5m in January, because we still need one). 

I still think it was odd going down to no strikers though, a good old fashioned 4-6-0 formation to try and defend a 1-0 lead for 15 minutes, is that part of this special philosophy or 'model' we apparently have, because the last time I remember a manager using 4-6-0 it was Sam Allardyce :classic_biggrin:

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Haven’t won in this decade. Let that sink in 

Haven't lost either?

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Agree, Farke wouldn't have signed an injury prone free transfer as the Pukki competition if he had a transfer budget.

I still think it was odd going down to no strikers though, a good old fashioned 4-6-0 formation to try and defend a 1-0 lead for 15 minutes, is that part of this special philosophy or 'model' we apparently have, because the last time I remember a manager using 4-6-0 it was Sam Allardyce :classic_biggrin:

Roeder did it once I think.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In fairness to the other signings, Amadou hasn't had a run in his natural position. I'm assuming we're not bothering playing him now because we know we can't afford the £9m transfer fee (in which case we may as well send him back and buy a different one for £2.5m in January, because we still need one). 

This would be mad.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yup. Too slim a lead to defend with our defensive frailty. 

Absolutely bizarre substitutions in my opinion.

We are trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead and take off our only two players who bloody score goals, for two players who offer nothing defensively. When we inevitably conceded, we had absolutely no chance of scoring. 

Thoughts and prayers for Tettey, who has played a huge amount of football over a short period of time and looked absolutely knackered. Trybull and Amadou are available on the bench and would have helped us see the game out. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Absolutely bizarre substitutions in my opinion.

We are trying to hold on to a 1-0 lead and take off our only two players who bloody score goals, for two players who offer nothing defensively. When we inevitably conceded, we had absolutely no chance of scoring. 

Thoughts and prayers for Tettey, who has played a huge amount of football over a short period of time looked absolutely knackered. Trybull and Amadou are available on the bench and would have helped us see the game out. 

Watching Stiepermann stroll around as soon as he came on was just infuriating 

Subs again late though, we clearly had tired legs, Palace had already made 2 changes before we even brought 1 on after 70 odd minutes...

Who decided we wouldn't buy anyone? The board, Webber or DF or a combination. Not blaming but just asking who decided this was the way we would go. At least that way, we could stop blaming any innocent parties

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, because at last we are apparently playing towards the correct end in the second half, as we should have been doing all season...

Shows what I know...😊

I only have a few thoughts.

Its not the defense.

It's not even the midfield

We are simply not taking enough chances to kill the game when we are clearly on top.

Emi needs to score. Cantwell needs to realise sometimes to pass the ball across for Pukki to tap in.

Overall we just fall short.