Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Cantwell to Arsenal???

4 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

Good for Todd. He gets stick, even now, some of it utterly ridiculous and small minded stuff about his appearance and character, has a little pop back at his critics and like most bullies, they don't like it.

Yet there'll be those who bang on about the 'lack of ambition' of the club when he moves on...and some who'll probably be pleased and hope for someone who rolls up their sleeves, clenches their fists, has a number one haircut, "...gets ****ing stuck in, gets it ****ing forward and shouts ****ing come ON at no-one in particular throughout a game..."

Oh good grief - surely we're not thinking of signing Luke Chambers. 😉 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Oh good grief - surely we're not thinking of signing Luke Chambers. 😉 

Sorry, I claim that one from halfway down page 2 😁

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Sorry, I claim that one from halfway down page 2 😁

Whoops - apologies Fenway - great minds and all that. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Are his five Premier League goals and countless excellent performances not enough for you Lakey? The actual evidence  would suggest that he is talking very eloquently on the pitch. 

If you read my previous  post,  I said exactly that  -  "his satisfaction should come from proving them wrong on the pitch (which he is doing)"

When Todd gets to turn the Christmas lights on down Regent Street in Laaadaaan.....He will then know that he's made it......

Rather than going on one Tweet it makes far more sense to judge Todd on the actual words that he speaks. Here's his interview after today's game. Strikes me as being pretty considered, level headed and insightful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If he were to go to Arsenal, he’s in for a shock - first shanked badly delivered through pass to Aubameyang and the whole red side of the Emirates stadium will want him reduced to the U23 squad for a year or two. The crowd are ruthless in their self-criticism. 

As a neutral visiting the Emirates on my bosses Season Ticket in 2014 I was gobsmacked at the language used against Wenger. As for poor Sagna.......

He should save his pantwetting for Canary call and just have a good rant on there.

A lot of the bigger clubs looking at the next wave of British talent, so don't be surprised to see the likes of Cantwell, Arrans, Godfrey and Lewis mentioned a lot by the papers in the next two windows.

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He should save his pantwetting for Canary call and just have a good rant on there.

A lot of the bigger clubs looking at the next wave of British talent, so don't be surprised to see the likes of Cantwell, Arrans, Godfrey and Lewis mentioned a lot by the papers in the next two windows.

Just  fodder for the trash mill that is British sports journalism,  time to ignore the noise , leave business to those who are appointed and paid to do that business.  I really dislike  the transfer window,  at least this time round we can have much more say, as a club , as ti who, if anyone, is moved on. We are in the strongest bargaining position we have been in for a long time,  if not ever.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 08:33, Old Shuck said:

Good for Todd. He gets stick, even now, some of it utterly ridiculous and small minded stuff about his appearance and character, has a little pop back at his critics and like most bullies, they don't like it.

Yet there'll be those who bang on about the 'lack of ambition' of the club when he moves on...and some who'll probably be pleased and hope for someone who rolls up their sleeves, clenches their fists, has a number one haircut, "...gets ****ing stuck in, gets it ****ing forward and shouts ****ing come ON at no-one in particular throughout a game..."

Careful, Andy Hughes doesn’t like critics 😁

23 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Just  fodder for the trash mill that is British sports journalism,  time to ignore the noise , leave business to those who are appointed and paid to do that business.  I really dislike  the transfer window,  at least this time round we can have much more say, as a club , as ti who, if anyone, is moved on. We are in the strongest bargaining position we have been in for a long time,  if not ever.

That strong bargaining position is immediately weakened the moment Cantwell decides he wants to leave. And let's face it, if he's offered the chance to go and play for Pep Guardiola in the Champions League on a huge salary, why wouldn't he?

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

That strong bargaining position is immediately weakened the moment Cantwell decides he wants to leave. And let's face it, if he's offered the chance to go and play for Pep Guardiola in the Champions League on a huge salary, why wouldn't he?

Come on, you know it'll be Delia's fault.

I like the title on your profile BTW.

• Like 1

Also, there seems to be a lot of rubbish on Twitter about Cantwell being a "nonce". So it's understandable if jealous nobodies are winding him up. I would have thought it's verging on legal action myself, a user ban at minimum.

Not denying the truth in what you say  Wolfo, but my feelings are tempered by the fact that despite the attraction of  the ' big move' for Todd...or any other of our players we can drive a hard, very hard, bargain......something we may not have been able to do if we were in a more perilous financial position.  It's not perfect but its getting better. Real Madrid  couldn't persuade Ronaldo to stay, such is life.....and footy. 

To start off it’s all press speculation no official interest has been made, second if he’s sold then surely all the money must be made available to strengthen every area for a sustained championship campaign.

If the money isn’t made available and is used to consolidate the future of the club, given our strong financial position then some criticism would rightly be aimed at the owners.

Still all speculation as Farke said it’ll take an offer which can’t be refused to prise anyone away this window and as such none of our players have yet a full season of premiership football under their belts, so the 40 million figure touted are a tad steep for top clubs to take the chance in my opinion. It’ll be the summer when we lose a few.

34 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It doesn’t have to be at all. Maguire left Leicester on the clubs terms not the players. He threw his toys out but there was no sale until the £80M was offered. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It doesn’t have to be at all. Maguire left Leicester on the clubs terms not the players. He threw his toys out but there was no sale until the £80M was offered. 

If Todd doesn't want to leave, we are perfectly entitled to say 'not for sale at any price'. Once the player wants to leave, we have to put a price on it, even if it's a ridiculous price. Ultimately Leicester got what they asked for, but it's an edgy game to play. If Citeh were to then pull out of the deal and sign someone else, it could end up with a 'rotten apple' situation where Cantwell is furious at not being allowed to leave, doesn't want to play or doesn't play well, and ultimately leaves for less money than he would have done.

I'm not suggesting Todd would do that, but it definitely weakens our position if a player actively wants to leave the club.

With a business head on, then £30 to £35m makes for fantastic business for the club. It would provide Todd too with a dream move to a top 6 club with chances then of breaking into the England set up and I wouldn't wish to hold him back. We have been a selling club for as long as I can remember. But this time, in this era (or even this season 2019/2020), we can generate real value. Our sales have grown from that early record fee of £7.5m for Ashton c.20 years ago  to £8m + for Grabban, £11/£12m for the Murphys and Nathan Redmond, £13m for Brady (& maybe Pritchard?) up to £24m for James Maddison. Even Bradley J commanded £6.5m. We have ex-Norwich players scattered throughout the leagues. 

I guess in this situation it depends on what Todd wants to do or perhaps if any player exchange type deal is possible. Just not Phil Jones 🙂.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

With a business head on, then £30 to £35m makes for fantastic business for the club. It would provide Todd too with a dream move to a top 6 club with chances then of breaking into the England set up and I wouldn't wish to hold him back. We have been a selling club for as long as I can remember. But this time, in this era (or even this season 2019/2020), we can generate real value. Our sales have grown from that early record fee of £7.5m for Ashton c.20 years ago  to £8m + for Grabban, £11/£12m for the Murphys and Nathan Redmond, £13m for Brady (& maybe Pritchard?) up to £24m for James Maddison. Even Bradley J commanded £6.5m. We have ex-Norwich players scattered throughout the leagues. 

I guess in this situation it depends on what Todd wants to do or perhaps if any player exchange type deal is possible. Just not Phil Jones 🙂.

Oh good grief I've just come out in a cold sweat reading that..............

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Foden's not getting much game time... maybe a direct swap? 😉

Let me start by saying I like Todd, he's a good player, has played well this season (much, much more than I had expected) and is more than good enough for us. However, in my opinion, he is not in the class required for Man City / Man Utd / Arsenal as mentioned thus far. He would do well to even get in the match day squad for Man City, let alone get anywhere near the pitch and whilst Utd / Arsenal are both currently below their expected standards, he could play a few for them, he is not the calibre they need to replicate their past glories. I can see him performing well for an established team (6th-12th) in the Premier League long term, but not the very best.

Maybe he will prove me wrong and I will happily be wrong if he goes to the top. A local lad done well is always something to be proud of.

12 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Let me start by saying I like Todd, he's a good player, has played well this season (much, much more than I had expected) and is more than good enough for us. However, in my opinion, he is not in the class required for Man City / Man Utd / Arsenal as mentioned thus far. He would do well to even get in the match day squad for Man City, let alone get anywhere near the pitch and whilst Utd / Arsenal are both currently below their expected standards, he could play a few for them, he is not the calibre they need to replicate their past glories. I can see him performing well for an established team (6th-12th) in the Premier League long term, but not the very best.

Maybe he will prove me wrong and I will happily be wrong if he goes to the top. A local lad done well is always something to be proud of.

It's your opinion ATG and you're more than entitled to it; but out of curiosity what is it that you think will stop him getting to the very top? His touch, movement, football intelligence and appreciation of space are, to my eyes, all of the very highest order. He gets in fantastic positions, makes great runs and is an ice cool finisher. And he's doing all this in a team bottom of the Premier League at the age of just 21. He also seems to be very driven and motivated.  Nobody can say with certainty how a player will develop - there's too many variables - but it would seem to me that he's got every chance of being an absolutely top player in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's your opinion ATG and you're more than entitled to it; but out of curiosity what is it that you think will stop him getting to the very top? His touch, movement, football intelligence and appreciation of space are, to my eyes, all of the very highest order. He gets in fantastic positions, makes great runs and is an ice cool finisher. And he's doing all this in a team bottom of the Premier League at the age of just 21. He also seems to be very driven and motivated.  Nobody can say with certainty how a player will develop - there's too many variables - but it would seem to me that he's got every chance of being an absolutely top player in the future. 

Fair points and I agree with them all. He is a very good player and I don't want my above to be seen criticism, he is more than capable at our current level and one of our top performers thus far. I don't really know why I don't see him going to the top, maybe it's a direct comparison with the influence that Buendia has on the game, Cantwell, whilst good, is not on the same level in my opinion (but he works harder).

The good news for Todd is, I remember watching Ronaldo in his first season at Man Utd, mocking all those stupid stepovers and not rating him much. I've got form for getting it wrong...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Fair points and I agree with them all. He is a very good player and I don't want my above to be seen criticism, he is more than capable at our current level and one of our top performers thus far. I don't really know why I don't see him going to the top, maybe it's a direct comparison with the influence that Buendia has on the game, Cantwell, whilst good, is not on the same level in my opinion (but he works harder).

The good news for Todd is, I remember watching Ronaldo in his first season at Man Utd, mocking all those stupid stepovers and not rating him much. I've got form for getting it wrong...

To be honest, I'm with you on this one... there's just a little je ne sais quoi about his game that leads me to think he isn't quite good enough to cut it at the very highest level. But bearing in mind where he was 18 months ago, he's on a ridiculous growth curve and if he continues to improve at this pace then he may well prove us wrong.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

To be honest, I'm with you on this one... there's just a little je ne sais quoi about his game that leads me to think he isn't quite good enough to cut it at the very highest level. But bearing in mind where he was 18 months ago, he's on a ridiculous growth curve and if he continues to improve at this pace then he may well prove us wrong.

He has more than enough in his locker to cut it at the highest level. Let’s see when he moves to one of big 6. 

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He has more than enough in his locker to cut it at the highest level. Let’s see when he moves to one of big 6. 

Yep - it's likely we'll get to find out in the next couple of years. Would love him to shine in Europe and for England, but I'm not convinced he'll get to that level. Would love him to prove me wrong!

Just had a snout on an Arsenal forum, no mention of Todd but a lot of shout outs for Grealish and one for Emi. As mentioned here their fans are fickle and they want success and they want it now. TC might be better off at somewhere like Man Utd where they are in transition and focusing on youth.

Edited by Capt. Pants