Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Capitalism and football (EPL)

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/football-in-2019-var-financial-imbalance-liverpool-man-city-champions-league-never-been-better-worse-a9265116.html

All of the posts about players' values, arguments about ownership, frustrations over VAR etc and a few other posters who are tiring of top league football. Many of these themes are captured in this very thoughtful (and concerning) article in today's Independent. It's made me think of Bury FC and our own owners and the self funding idea.

Money never 'cascades down' does it? People create wealth and accrue more. Same in football. We argue over VAR (as we naturally would) but there is a wider picture. Rather a sobering thought going into 2020 I think and felt it was worth sharing.

27 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

What a poor article

Depends on your viewpoint I guess. I found it thought provoking. It's a long piece so may not get much interest on a football forum I will admit.

"Just as grimly fitting in another way, some of the debate mimics Brexit. Those who unstintingly back VAR are seen as snobbish “nerds”, perhaps even “experts” out of touch with everyday supporters and not real football fans."

This was definitely true of one of the threads about VAR-Ricardo was being attacked for defending VAR-even though he said he wanted it scrapped-and someone asked him if he had ever played football-implying that he didn't understand the game.

Started off ok, but then he wandered off into his own little world.

Mentions and mocks Boris Johnson for some obscure unrelated reason.

Says the VAR debate mimics Brexit

Links VAR "killing the game" to Bury Town

I just scanned the rest as he wanders all over the place with random thoughts, perhaps he slipped in a reasoned argument against capitalism or suggested a better financial model, but I missed it.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/football-in-2019-var-financial-imbalance-liverpool-man-city-champions-league-never-been-better-worse-a9265116.html

All of the posts about players' values, arguments about ownership, frustrations over VAR etc and a few other posters who are tiring of top league football. Many of these themes are captured in this very thoughtful (and concerning) article in today's Independent. It's made me think of Bury FC and our own owners and the self funding idea.

Money never 'cascades down' does it? People create wealth and accrue more. Same in football. We argue over VAR (as we naturally would) but there is a wider picture. Rather a sobering thought going into 2020 I think and felt it was worth sharing.

https://ourworldindata.org/poverty-at-higher-poverty-lines

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

That article makes an important point about 'trickle down'. It remains that there is a sheer gap doesn't it? 

There's a monumental gap. But it's far less monumental than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Absolute poverty is all that really matters. Once you've got sufficient food, clothes, somewhere warm & dry to live & can live without fear of being unjustly imprisoned (or worse) then you're not in any sort of real poverty. We're still a long way short of that for billions of people, & the argument is about how we reduce poverty to its lowest possible level for them.

• Like 2

I agree about absolute poverty.  My main thoughts were about the comparative inequalities between leagues and the smaller teams.

In terms of sport and football in particular  I am wondering how long the 'top 6' will maintain interest in the EPL.  Or, maybe, can the top 6 retain their wealth is another relevent question.  Such is the gulf in resources that it makes a mockery of a competitive league. 

Referencing the article too, it makes me wonder too if there will be other Bury's. One might have thought that a Manchester City or a Man Utd might have helped them out given their proximity (though no doubt someone will ask why should they)....Yet such big teams are having to pay their stars their millions.

The whole thing I find quite dispiriting I must confess. And the article opens up a bigger agenda than just VAR.