Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Max Aarons 45mil

According to The Athletic, we will want close to what Man Utd paid for Wan Bissaka if Spurs or anyone else come sniffing. That’s £45 million.

And about bloody time too. I desperately hope we can keep Max and all our talent and build something special here, that’s my ultimate choice should I have it. But in the past, before we were a self sustaining model, we were infuriatingly soft at times with our transfer fees compared to other clubs I felt. But now we have no choice but to make other clubs pay the going amount that they would for any talent comparable to that at other clubs. And I really like that about Webber, you just know he won’t take any shoite when it comes to negotiations.

As I say, I hope somehow we can keep the players we want to and build from there, but if we’re going to lose any, then other clubs better come ready. Self sustaining means we have to maximise the sales of our assets, and that can only be a good thing for us if we are to lose any of our better young talents.

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

But in the past, before we were a self sustaining model, we were infuriatingly soft at times with our transfer fees compared to other clubs I felt

Don’t agree, both Kevin Reeves and Chris Sutton were sold for what were pretty much record amounts. As a rule I think we’ve always sold quite well, just look at what we got for the Murphy’s.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maddison went far too cheaply because we were desperate again for money. Maybe Norwich are learning at last.

There were special circumstances. It is arguable we could have got some millions more for Maddison, but he had been injured, it wasn't certain he would make the step up in class, although it seemed likely he would, and we did need to sell, which potential buyers knew, and he was pretty much the only asset we had. But the sell-on clause, if it gets activated, should see us getting a tidy sum back.

• Like 2

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

There were special circumstances. It is arguable we could have got some millions more for Maddison, but he had been injured, it wasn't certain he would make the step up in class, although it seemed likely he would, and we did need to sell, which potential buyers knew, and he was pretty much the only asset we had. But the sell-on clause, if it gets activated, should see us getting a tidy sum back.

I thought it was said that there wasn’t much in the way of sell on clauses for Maddison because we needed the money and Leicester payed most of it up front? 

43 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Don’t agree, both Kevin Reeves and Chris Sutton were sold for what were pretty much record amounts. As a rule I think we’ve always sold quite well, just look at what we got for the Murphy’s.

Chris Sutton was the British transfer record at the time

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

In your opinion. 

Indeed it is. If you think he went for too little, you should contact the club so you can take over transfer dealing. I'm sure the club got the best price it could at the time.

Clubs are only fighting over Maddison now as he is a proven Premier league player. Leicester were the only club prepared to go anywhere near £20 m. It was a huge risk for them. Maddison wanted to move was a great price and I fear had we not sold him we would still be in the Championship.

£45 million for Aaron’s with Byram to step straight in sounds like something that will probably be done. That might sound negative but it has its positive side.

3 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I think Kevin Reeves was only the second £1 million pound player after Trevor Francis..... we built a new stand out of the proceeds. 

Justin Fashanu must have been close as well ?

Whatever they were worth, you are normally the one in difficulty if you are wanting to sell. Just as in life. And it sounds like we may have got more out of LiVARpool but only in instalments which didn't suit us.

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Bradley Johnson? Good price or not?

Bad price-should never have sold him-we would have had a much better chance of staying up with him in the team than with the likes of Dorrans, Mulumbu and Jarvis.

Brady was wonderful business. Always felt Robbie B flattered a little to deceive, even though a decent player. £13m was an excellent return (doubling our outlay almost).

Watch Leicester play hardball when it comes to selling him. They’ll squeeze every last penny out of Man Utd just like they did when Maguire left. Think we could of got more with huge add ons personally. 

£45m ridiculous fee which will never be offered, a more realistic fee would be £20m.  If we get such an offer would we decline it?  But if one were to be made Aarons head will be turned and will insist on the move especially if Pukki and Buendia are being lured away.  If not given the opportunity we will have one severely upset full back tied to a club rebuilding again for a promotion push which seems an unlikely proposition.  Of course another PL season will alter player mindsets but as unlikely as promotion.

The same is true of any of our promising players they will go for the fees offered not what the club wants..   

4 minutes ago, pete said:

£45m ridiculous fee which will never be offered, a more realistic fee would be £20m.  If we get such an offer would we decline it?  But if one were to be made Aarons head will be turned and will insist on the move especially if Pukki and Buendia are being lured away.  If not given the opportunity we will have one severely upset full back tied to a club rebuilding again for a promotion push which seems an unlikely proposition.  Of course another PL season will alter player mindsets but as unlikely as promotion.

The same is true of any of our promising players they will go for the fees offered not what the club wants..   

Anything over £20M  and his gone. Norwich never turn down tempting offers.

If it’s the same article on the Athletic I’ve read it doesn’t actually quote a figure, it just says that if any players are to leave in January it will take ludicrous offers. It also says that Lewis and Buendea are being tracked by Liverpool. Arsenal and Lyon for Godfrey. 

Edited by JF

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Attaboy, pete.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

I suspect over 90% of City fans think we got good money for Maddison.

Agree.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time he was unproven. £80m or whatever is being bandied about now so all the revisionists are complying that he went too cheaply

Nothing wrong with our outgoing transfer business, especially in recent years.

I think the club have already planned for relegation and player sales. Expect over £100M coming in, a new stand announced and modest purchases in the summer. The left over money will be put under the mattress until everyone forgets about it. 

23 minutes ago, pete said:

This is total and utter rubbish and you know it!  If any of our players go the fee will be negotiated. It won't be for the fee offered and it probably won't be for what we want. (The only possible exception to this is if any of our players have a release fee in their contracts). 

This talk of Aaron’s to Spurs, Buendea, Lewis and Godfrey to Liverpool / Arsenal raises the thought that if we can stay up and build on this team next season then we could be really competitive at this level. Unlikely I know but One can dream